none
Windows 7 Network Printers Offline

Question

• We are having an unsuaual problem all of a sudden printing to networked printers from Windows 7 clients.  XP and Vista clients print as usual. Windows 7 clients say the printers are offline.  I'm sure I was able to print from Windows 7 clients last week.
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Monday, October 05, 2009 9:54 PM Moved to relevant forum category (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Monday, October 05, 2009 6:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First, I would like to confirm how the printer is connected and what the model of the printer is.

Please update the printer driver to latest version first.

If it does not work, I suggest a System Restore:

System Restore

=============

1. Click the Start Button, type "system restore" (without quotations) in the start search box and press enter.

2. Click "Choose a different point" and click next.

3. Check Show more restore points box.

4. Choose a date before this issue happening, and click Next.

5. Click Finish.

If it persists, try removing and reinstalling this printer:

1. Click Start button and choose Devices and Printers.

2. Right click on the network printer and choose Remove printer.

After that, add a printer again.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, October 09, 2009 3:45 AM
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 5:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First, I would like to confirm how the printer is connected and what the model of the printer is.

System Restore

=============

1. Click the Start Button, type "system restore" (without quotations) in the start search box and press enter.

5. Click Finish.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, October 09, 2009 3:45 AM
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 5:32 AM
  • I'm having a similar problem in Windows 7 Ultimate.  I have a shared network printer that's an HP LJ 4000 - this thing has been around since the stone age and works fine - the driver has been bundled with every version of Windows since 95 I think. 

The HP LJ 4000 is connected to a Windows Server 2008 box and shared across the workgroup.  Everybody in my workgroup can print to the printer just fine, but if I RDP to my main workstation running Windows 7, then next time I log in through the console, the HP LJ 4000 (which is my default printer) shows up as offline even though all the other workstations and server can print fine, so the printer isn't offline at all.  I can connect to the server fine and I can delete the printer, but I can't reinstall it until the workstation reboots.  Alternately, a reboot is required to show the printer back online again.

I used to have a similar problem in Vista Ultimate when I would login remotely via RDP but then it would only clear the default printer flag, so I'll I had to do was re-select it as the default printer.

This is very annoying.

Jeff Balcerzak
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 3:59 PM
  • I was having the same issue with Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate.  For some reason the port changes.  Had to go in any manually reset the IP address from 192.168.0.101 to 192.168.0.100.
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 6:13 PM
  • thkx a lot! reinstalling the printer works!!
    Monday, March 22, 2010 4:08 AM
  • I am having this same problem with windows Vista and two different computers, one a Dell Laser the other an HP office Pro.  
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:41 PM
  • I am having this problem as well. I have been able to get the printers to show online again by restarting the print spooler. Does anyone have a fix? I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 12:19 AM
  • Dear Vivian,

I don't think you are solving any problem.  This is a Windows 7 issue, either configuration or some bug as the printer works in the past via network now appears offline.

Pls do not BS the users to restore a perfectly running system as a trial and error way to brush off the real roblem.

SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 10:10 PM
  • Thanks Vivian,

My windows 7(64bit) laptop all of a sudden showed my wireless printer (brother MFC_255CW) as "offline" eventhough it had been working fine for weeks. Your first suggested step (installing the latest printer driver) did the trick. 

Thanks again! 

Sunday, February 13, 2011 3:52 PM
  • I know this issue is still not fixed. Restoring to an earlier date does not work. This has been an issue for me as soon as I bought a 64 bit computer and added Windows 7 Pro. I have a domain and we setup one of our domain controllers as a print server for our users. We have Toshiba copiers and I have installed latest, greatest drivers and such, but I still have the offline problem.

I have restarted my print spooler - - Did not fix. I have changed the power options on my network card to not shut down to save power. I have tried every suggestion I have found on every forum. Bottom line is this issue needs to be fixed before I commit my entire network (150 computers) to Windows 7 Pro - - Or tell me how to get them to online status so I can print and not have to use my Big Chief tablet and #2 pencil - - -

Howard

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 8:18 PM
  • I have the same problem but have already committed all of our users to W7.   At first I would restart the Print Spooler and Workstation service on the workstations having the problem.  This seemed to help but then later the user would experience the same problem, next I disabled the power management for the NIC and that seemed to help until about 2 weeks ago something happened and again I was getting calls from users unable to print.    I  try to keep the print drivers up to date and I removed all of the older HP Printers using the universal drivers.

I have a mixed environment of 2003 and 2008 servers, someone mentioned that maybe the server running 2003 which is also my print server may be the issue and that I need to upgrade it to 2008, not really the answer I was looking for.   The one common thing with these users are they all use one of the seven HP1055 plotters.   This may boil down to print driver problems using older printers, it would be nice for HP to step up and help since that is what I think the issue is, but HP wants us to buy their newer plotters.

Friday, February 25, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Problem seems to be fixed with Win7 SP1 update I installed this morning.   Let's see if this update fixes the problem for others who have posted here.
    Seth Thomas
    Friday, February 25, 2011 7:27 PM
  • The only thing that would fix it for me was to turn SNMP off on the printer driver/properties and it stays online now.

Andy

• Proposed as answer by wags407 Tuesday, May 24, 2011 6:12 PM
    Monday, March 07, 2011 9:36 PM
  • Hi,

The actual problem is with file sharing, (Printer Sharing works Exactly same like file sharing) 

if you can access PC A from PC B only than you can Print from Printer (Windows 7 features are advance)

Next time if you face such problem with Shared Printer not printing (Windows 7 shows Offline)

Open that PC from My Network Places, than it should ask you for Credential (check remember me)

Note: when you open file system in network it asks for User name & password, when you print from network without knowing User printer goes offline, you can't access.

Harjit

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 2:37 AM
  • As I read over this and other post, there is no "fix" to "printer offline" that works long term. Yes reinstalling the printer works until whatever conditions drive this issue happens again. jcr
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:32 PM
  • I think I found a fix or you may consider it a work around.   I just had the same problem with my printer. My laptop is running 7 64-bit version and I have a Hp OJ 6500 series shared on my network.

Here's how I put my printer back online

1. Double click the offline printer to bring up the print queue

2. Select printer from the menu tab-  Once you select the printer you will notice that offline function is checked. Click on it  an the printer goes back online.

3. Print a test page to see if the issue is resolved.

I didn't have to reinstall the printer or update the drivers.  True, for some old reason, when you share a printer using Window 7 it kicks the printer offline. Now, I'm not sure this is the solution but it is a great work around. Maybe MS will come out with a patch to correct this problem but from the print queue you have the ability to put an offline printer back online. The printer also retains its share permission as well so you don't have to remove the share capabilities from it to apply this fix.

I hope this Helps

God Bless

• Proposed as answer by jasonw98 Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:23 PM
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 5:33 AM
  • Hi,

I've been having this problem for as long as this forum's had the original post and have tried most of the things mentioned. As someone else has stated they all appear to be temporary fixes and the problem keeps reoccuring suggesting it's a software issue. Any chance of a fix in an upcoming Windows Update?

Saturday, April 23, 2011 12:43 AM
  • hello, same problem happened to me  yesterday,  printer suddenly stop working (wirelessly) on my Windows7. 

In the Word document I was about to print, it says the printer is ready but when I clicked the print button, I got this message indicating printer cannot communicate with computer.  I checked my printer's (Lexmark) network connection via my computer and via printer but it's fine, printer is connected to network.  Then I tried uninstalling my printer's software on my computer and reinstalled it, but again it didn't work, it says printer cannot communicate with computer.  So, I checked my firewall set up, but printer has full access.  I checked updates to Windows7, but my computer is up to date.

Please help.

Sunday, May 01, 2011 4:48 PM
  • I just figured out my offline printer problem. I have a wireless Lexmark Printer 4600 series. I have it wirelessly connected to my desktop upstairs. I also have a laptop which uses the same wireless network and it is connected to the printer as well. I just looked  at my printer settings and it says under the sharing tab:  You can share this printer with other computers on your network. The printer will NOT be available when the computer is sleeping or turned off.

This is exactly what my problem was. I turned on my computer that has the wireless router and the printer went immediately on line and I was able to print. Now I just need to figure out why and how to set up my wireless printer to print from my laptop as well. I hope this helps others.

• Proposed as answer by macfamily Monday, May 09, 2011 7:03 AM
    Monday, May 09, 2011 7:01 AM
  • I had the same problem with my Windows 7 Pro desktop and a Brother MFC-7440N that had been working fine.  The printer power was on and I could use it to scan, but the printer driver was showing as offline.  I could print files and they would show up in the queue, but not actually print unless I rebooted the computer.  Yes, during startup (before getting the CTRL-ALT-DEL prompt), files previously queued would suddenly start to print, but then once I logged in, the printer would show as Offline.

My fix was to:

1. 'Remove Device' from 'Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers' (right-click on icon)

2. Select 'Add a Device'.  My printer showed up in a list, double click on it, and voila, re-installed and now working fine as far as I can tell. 

Other information:

My printer is setup with a static IP address.  It responded to ping, telnet and http:// appropriately.

My $0.02

Cheers, Tristan.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:54 PM
  • The only thing that would fix it for me was to turn SNMP off on the printer driver/properties and it stays online now.

Andy

Perfect Andy!  Did this for all of the printers showing offline while using wireless and they all showed up online immediately. :)
    • Proposed as answer by jjazzbel Tuesday, April 29, 2014 7:18 PM
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 6:12 PM
  • I agree that Vivian does not have an answer here. I have the same problem on a network setup with 7 printers going offline. Win 7 64bit!   SP1 seems to be the only change in my setup from original Win 7 install over a year ago and in some cases from date of release. This seems to be a bug to me and we need a windows update. Also there is no option to go back online when double clicking the printer to see whats printing ... connect and update driver are both grayed out.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:09 PM
  • i suppose thrs two things that should be tested.

1) allow guest to access network (without username & password should be able to access network)

2) change DNS (maybe its taking long time to find printer server)

Add one Local default gateway in DNS & other Internet DNS

let me add one more thing

1. In Windows 7 Control Panel
    2. Select "Programs and Features" pane
    3. Click "Turn Windows Features on or off"
    4. Turn on the LPD protocol.

with Regards.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:41 AM
  • I had the same problem and found by deleting the printer from list of available printers and then adding the printer again solved the problem :) 
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:53 AM
  • I had similar issue and discovered that on my network-attached printer I had different network mask that the one on the computer exhibiting this problem. I made my printer's static IP's mask match the mask on DHPC, i.e. on the local computer -- that fixed the issue.
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 3:08 PM
  • Thank you ! it worked for me, although it wasn't easy to find how : for my printer I had to go to " HP OfficeJet Pro L7700 Serie Properties" (clic on "Customize your printer" in "Devices and Printers" from the Control Panel), then in the "Ports" tab, selected the Port with my IP adress and then clicked "Configure Port", then I was able to uncheck "SNMP Status Enabled" !

Thanks a lot Andy !

Saturday, July 16, 2011 9:05 AM
  • I had the same problem... This has something to do with security settings.

Check if you can access other folders on the host where printer is installed. If Windows prompts you for the username and password simply enter it. Printer then appeared online. It worked for me. I need to check shared options to have a permanent solution.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:36 AM
  • Thank you andygee11!! After working on this problem all morning, disabling snmp did the trick for me.  
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 3:28 PM
  • I'd like to thank everybody on this forum for their suggestions.  I was having almost the same problem as this.  However only one of three Windows 7 clients was unable to print.  They all were able to print when configured a year ago.  However one started having the printing problem about two months ago.   I'm using a Brother network printer.  After a few moments of time, success occurred.   

Steps:

Reinstalled printer driver - No Success (NS)

Installed Win 7 (X64) SP1 - NS

Reinstalled printer driver - NS  (even though printer was found during install process, regardless of firewall settings)

Switched the port to ensure it was going to the printer - NS  

In the process at several alternatives, turned off firewall (Comodo) entirely - NS 

Then installed printer driver via "New Printer", not via Brother install - Success !!!

So far, so good.  Have turned off SNMP according to some posts - still able to print. (Was able to do so even with SNMP enabled).

Tags for the search engines : printer offline with Windows 7 even though other computers can print okay

Sunday, August 21, 2011 3:48 AM
  • This solution worked for me. Okidata C3530 MFP. Was working for several days, after long weekend printer was offline on all computers. Unchecked SNMP within printer settings and printer immediately can online. Good job Andy!
    Tuesday, September 06, 2011 7:08 PM

Andy

Excellent advise Andy.... I have been trying for hours upon hours.  I even unistalled and reinstalled the print drivers/software.  Configured the port to deselect SNMP and the printer came online immediately...

Thanks for the advise.

Friday, September 16, 2011 10:53 PM
  • Hi,

System Restore

=============

5. Click Finish.

Vivian Xing - MSFT

FAIL!!!

Thx alot Andy, you made my day!

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:45 AM
  • Hi,

If you face an offline error message with your network printer, you need to make sure that the printer is running and that all cables are secure.

You have two options to turn off the offline mode.

One is by changing the printer settings  on the computer, and the other is by pressing the button on the printer.

To change the settings of the printer, you need to select ‘Printers and Faxes‘ from Control Panel.

Double-click on the printer you want to change to online from the displayed window.

A pop-up window will open and you need to uncheck the ‘Printer Offline‘ option from the menu bar.

http://printers.iyogi.com/help-support/network-printer-offline-windows-7.html

Hope this information helps you.

Monday, October 03, 2011 10:17 AM
  • That does not, in fact help, as the problem is with Windows 7, not the printer, and simply unchecking 'Printer Offline' won't help, else people would have already done that. Please read the other comments in this (or any) thread before responding.
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:24 AM

Andy

I had to first turn on SNMP in Windows Features. Once I did that, I had a SNMP checkbox in Configure Ports on the printer properties. The moment I unclicked that, the printer started printing. Thanks for a real fix in place of a useless MS drone response about  System Restore (at least that's not as harmful as recommending reformatting the drive, as I've gotten more than once from these types). It's easy to see why these sorts of bugs persist in MS systems for years, when the same person who gives such a non-answer marks it as the answer.
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:56 AM
  • Thank you so much Andy. Have Windows 7 on laptop, lexmark 7600 all in one. Worked like a charm.

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 4:08 PM
  • This problem just reared up on several networks I manage. These are environments that have been running fine for more than a year, in some cases 3 years.

The scenario exist in Windows SBS 2008 and Windows Server R2 domains. The problem only exists for Windows 7 clients both 32 and 64 bit Professional and Ultimate

As of Oct 5th my network printers started showing off line on the servers. I go to the server, I remove and reinstall but that doesn’t  solve the issue. I pulled all the drivers and reinstalled but that doesn't solve the issue either.

Windows 7 clients have the same scenario except that if I remove the printer which is shared form the server and reinstall it to print directly the IP port, they work. However, they're not reliable.

What I'm seeing is the Print Spooler service keeps crashing resulting in loss of connectivity to the printers.

This is happening with all different printers from all different manufacturers. I have it with Epson, HP, Ricoh, Lexmark

• Edited by Codewize Friday, October 07, 2011 5:14 PM
    • Proposed as answer by edgarg316 Monday, October 24, 2011 5:47 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by edgarg316 Monday, October 24, 2011 5:48 PM
    Friday, October 07, 2011 5:11 PM
  • After several aspirins and searching through the Internet. I think I found the answer to Windows 7 printer offline error.

1. goto devices and printers

2. Select the printer you are having problems with and right click on it and select "printer properties"

3. Select the ports tab

4. Select "configure port"

5. Uncheck "SNMP Status Enabled" and press ok.

This resolved my printer offline problem.

• Proposed as answer by edgarg316 Monday, October 24, 2011 5:53 PM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 5:53 PM
  • Thanks. This method works. 

After several aspirins and searching through the Internet. I think I found the answer to Windows 7 printer offline error.

1. goto devices and printers

2. Select the printer you are having problems with and right click on it and select "printer properties"

3. Select the ports tab

4. Select "configure port"

5. Uncheck "SNMP Status Enabled" and press ok.

This resolved my printer offline p

Monday, November 07, 2011 9:22 PM
  • No, it doesn't:

[Window Title]
    Configure Port

[Main Instruction]
    An error occurred during port configuration. This operation is not supported.

[OK]

Monday, November 14, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Doesn't work for me either
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 3:24 AM
  • It didnt work for me either...tried turning it off, still didnt print so I tried turning it back on and still nothing.  Only happening for one computer for me right now, but it could become a huge issue if it isnt resolved.

Is there anyway to mark this topic as not resolved and take Vivian's "answer" down so someone else will look at it?

Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:23 PM
  • After reading through this thread and other similar ones, I was able to resolve my issue after trying nearly every suggestion posted to no avail (unless you count the cheap and temporary band-aids such as system restore and/or reinstall of printers) - it turns out to be some sort of permissions issue that decides to rear its head at different times on different computers, perhaps after a specific update?

My environment/Problem: All users on Windows 7 64bit SP1, old print server is Server 2003, new print server is Server 2008R2.  Almost randomly, users would report not being able to print anymore - the easiest resolution for me would be install the printer locally, but this is obviously not ideal.  On my personal computer, I was able to print for months to shared printers on both print servers, but recently all shared printers through both the 20003 server and the 2008r2 server went offline on my computer, although I could still print to any of those printers after installing them locally on my box.

My fix: I made my user account a local admin on my 2008r2 server and now the printer shared through that server is online and works just fine.  The same printer shared through the 2003 server, however, shows as offline still.  Local admin rights, therefore, provides a satisfactory fix for me.

This works as a resolution for my company as we can give users local admin rights for our new print server (it's dedicated for this purpose, unlike the 2003 server from which we're slowly migrating away as it did nearly everything at one point), but I'm sure there is a more specific permission that one of you can find to resolve the issue without giving basic users too much power.

I hope this helps you,

-Adam

• Proposed as answer by zz-at-beijing Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:51 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by zz-at-beijing Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:52 AM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 4:05 PM
  • I have same issue with my Samsung CLX-3700 printer, hooked up in my home network. Turning off SNMP works (well, for the timing being anyways). Here are the steps:

1. Open up your printer

2. In the "Printer" tab, pull down and click on "Properties"

3. Click on "Ports", and then click the "Configure Port" button (your network printer should already be highlighted as active)

4. Check off "SNMP Status Update"

You will see your printer comes online.

Everthing is there for a reason, so taking it off SNMP may have consequences that we don't know. Heck -- I actually work for Microsoft (not on the driver!) :(

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:59 AM
  • Nothing in this thread up to this point worked for me. I'm not doing a system restore to fix a printer
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:12 PM
  • Just because the Printer says Ready because you uncheck the SNMP box, does not mean the printer will print.  This has never worked for me. 

Sometimes the issue is that the printer has a new IP address and that needs to be reset.  I have a fairly new wireless all-in-one printer that always works (unless someone turns off the power and it gets a new IP address). 

Sometimes a wireless adapter is connected to the printer and that needs to be reset.  I have an old HP LaserJet 4 that doesn't have wireless built-in.  When using a wireless adapter I tried using a fixed IP address for the printer, but that didn't solve the problem of almost always needing to reset the wireless adapter.

Seth Thomas
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:19 PM
  • Why would you have a printer using DHCP ? Wireless printing is less than reliable anyway but adding DHCP to the mix is just poor design. That's like using DHCP on a server.

Network devices should be configured in a way that if they get restarted, due to power issues or anything else, they come back up in a usable state. That's networking 101 or maybe even 100

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Would love to be educated about the how to set up a printer without using DHCP.  I did try a setup for the HP LaserJet 4 to use a manual IP address.  That didn't solve the problem for me.  Is there something else I can do other than DHCP or manual IP address?
    Seth Thomas
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:38 PM
  • Seth, that's a topic for a different thread. But think about it. That's the same reason we disable keyboard and mouse checking on servers, so we can remotely restart them or so they come back up in the event that they do loose power.

If you have a network printer, it's usually pretty clear how to assign a static IP. I'm not saying that will have anything at all to do with the problem discussed here but it's the difference between right and wrong. If it must be DHCP so some reason unknown to me then it should be a reserved address in the pool.

Imagine a company with 100 network printers. If they all got a new IP address when the power failed how would anyone get any work done?

If you care to share your email I'll elaborate further but this thread is not the place.

• Edited by Codewize Thursday, December 01, 2011 12:34 AM
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 12:34 AM
  • Codewize,

So all you seem to be saying is to assign a static IP address instead of DHCP.  I said in my original post that I tried that and it didn't help because the problem was the wireless adapter connected to the HP LaserJet which for some reason loses the connection and needs to be reset.  There was no difference in behavior whether the printer was using a static IP address or DHCP.

But agree that using a static IP address is advisable for printers.

Seth Thomas
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 12:40 AM
  • Turning of SNMP in the printer driver properties did it for me too. Let's see how long it lasts.
    Monday, December 19, 2011 3:00 AM
  • That SNMP "trick" (which by the way is on the Configure Ports tab of the Printer Properties dialog) seem to do the trick, thanks. Since it's intermittent we will have to wait and see. So strange that I used to print from a PC as far back as 1981: it was not fancy, it was not fast, it was not in color, it was not wireless..., but it worked 100% of the time... A.R.

Monday, January 09, 2012 8:23 PM
  • Unchecking SMNP didn't work for me at first.  I opened up the printer, then I clicked on "1 documents in queue" yours may vary if you sent a job or several jobs and they are stacked up for example.  You can also get there from "See what's printing."

So I went under the "Printer" menu tab selection and I noticed "Use Printer Offiline" was checked.  I unchecked it, and all the sudden, my job kicked out without any hassle.  I sent another job to confirm it and it worked fine.

Also to give some technical background...  I was loading the driver for my Brother IntelliFax 2820.  Of course during the install shield it wants you to plug it into a USB port.  So I did.  But I want it networked so any computer can print to it.

I have a HP JetDirect en1700 USB print server.  It was worth every penny!  HP rocks!  So after installing the driver, I unplugged the USB cable and plugged it into the print server.  That is when my problems started.  Sure I got a few prints off of it and then it croaked or "stopped working."

So I googled and found this blog, and with a little bit of everyone's input, I got the problem resolved:

1)  Unchecked the SMNP for the port setting.

2)  Unchecked "Use Printer Offline."

Hopefully my experience can help others, because knowing where to look and what to do/try is half the battle.

• Proposed as answer by Nifft Monday, February 13, 2012 7:29 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 12:55 AM
  • I would really like to try unchecking SMNP but I get the same response as  zdrawcke

"Configure Port" leads to "An error occurred during port configuration. This operation is not supported."

Seriously this is not an isolated problem here.

I'm using a Windows 7 Home 64Bit.  Brand New Vaio that has been printing fine in a workgroup environment since January 4 of this year.  Anyone have the solution and not a band aid?

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:49 PM
  • I'm at the point where I'm replacing printers. I have NOT had this issue with HP printers yet. SO everyone gets a new HP 1606. Problem solved!

The HP 4000 previously mentioned in this thread isn't supported on Server 2008 or Windows 7 anyway so that's a moot point. Especially 64 bit

• Edited by Codewize Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:22 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:21 PM
  • THANK YOU!!! Simple fix!
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:54 PM
  • THANK YOU!!! Simple fix!

What worked for you?
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:54 PM
  • I would really like to try unchecking SMNP but I get the same response as  zdrawcke

"Configure Port" leads to "An error occurred during port configuration. This operation is not supported."

Seriously this is not an isolated problem here.

I'm using a Windows 7 Home 64Bit.  Brand New Vaio that has been printing fine in a workgroup environment since January 4 of this year.  Anyone have the solution and not a band aid?

I'm getting the same message. Have you found any resolution?

On another forum, someone mentioned they had to actually turn on SNMP from Windows Features to gain the check box to turn it off. I haven't given this a try yet.

Monday, February 13, 2012 7:23 PM
  • It seems that unchecking SMNP only applies to a printer connected directly to the network, correct?

My printers are connected to a host PC via USB, and neither has this option available.

I found this registry solution on another thread; it's supposedly for systems running Windows Server, but I decided to give it a shot on my Windows 7 problem. Anyone else try this?

So far so good, but I've been burnt before.

-----------------

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

First of all, please kindly refer to the following article to see if it could help you:

A computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 intermittently cannot use a shared network printer to print

If this issue persists, perform the following steps after backing up the registry

1.  Click Start, click Run, type regedit , and then click OK .

2.  Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print

3.  On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

4.  Type SNMPLegacy, and then press ENTER.

5.  Right-click SNMPLegacy, and then click Modify.

6.  In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.

Note:This hotfix does not work if the SNMPLegacy registry entry is set to 0. If this registry entry is set to 1, the print queue status is displayed as "Ready" instead of as "Offline" when a printer device does not respond to SNMP commands.

7.  Exit Registry Editor.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 1:37 PM
  • Many thanks Tydacomputerguy; Your solution worked for me.
    Friday, February 17, 2012 4:56 PM
  • Thanks andy, you were sopt on - remove SNMP from the properties and all back on line.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:16 PM
  • This post such a waste of users time, irresponsible at best - follow Andy's advice
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:18 PM
  • This post such a waste of users time, irresponsible at best - follow Andy's advice

You're wrong. Andy's solution didn't work for several users here, including myself.
    • Edited by Codewize Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:43 PM
    • Proposed as answer by SethITPro Saturday, February 25, 2012 8:16 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by SethITPro Saturday, February 25, 2012 8:16 PM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:42 PM
  • As a Network Adiministrator, I can tell you what is the cause and how to fix this issue. The cause is DHCP. Plain and Simple. Your computer is looking for the printer on the network with the IP address it was set up with. And now the DHCP has renewed the IP address lease and giving it a different IP address. There are two seneros:

1. Your printer is connected to a computer via USB. This printer is configured as Shared. DHCP changes the IP address of computer and now the printer also has a different location.

Solution: Set computer with static IP address and in your router configure an IP address reservation for your computer with the same IP addrress.

2. Your Printer is connected to the network wirelessly. (Only cable out of your printer is power cord). You need to configure your printer with a static IP address in your printer. (This varies by model but you can access printer configurations via a browser or printer front panel) and you also need to configure IP address reservation in your wireless route with the same IP address as your printer.

You can unplug all or lose all power and your printer will always be ready.

• Edited by SethITPro Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:01 PM typo
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 8:40 PM
  • As a Network Administrator, I can tell you what is the cause and how to fix this issue. The cause is DHCP. Plain and Simple. Your computer is looking for the printer on the network with the IP address it was set up with. And now the DHCP has renewed the IP address lease and giving it a different IP address. There are two scenarios:

1. Your printer is connected to a computer via USB. This printer is configured as Shared. DHCP changes the IP address of computer and now the printer also has a different location.

Solution: Set computer with static IP address and in your router configure an IP address reservation for your computer with the same IP address.

2. Your Printer is connected to the network wirelessly. (Only cable out of your printer is power cord). You need to configure your printer with a static IP address in your printer. (This varies by model but you can access printer configurations via a browser or printer front panel) and you also need to configure IP address reservation in your wireless route with the same IP address as your printer.

You can unplug all or lose all power and your printer will always be ready.

You're also wrong, we spent a bunch of time talking about DHCP. That's not the issue. I'm a 17 year network veteran. My printers are all configure with either static IP or reserved IP depending on the client and specific situations. Anyone who sets up a network printer with DHCP should be fired. I've probably forgotten more about TCP and IP than most people will ever know. Your small home network attitude / view on networking is not helpful.

I have printers that have been on the network functioning for years with static IP and as I add Windows 7 clients to the network they do not stay connected.

The solution is to replace all your printers with HP printer. For whatever reason I've never seen this problem occur with an HP device. This whole thing with SNMP is a workaround that works for some and not others.

The real underlying reason for the failures is that the drives you're using for the failing devices are causing the print spooler on the Win 7 machines to crash.  Then when you recover the print spooler, for whatever reason the printers in question don't reconnect and won't reconnect.

I know this isn't really an answer but replacing the printer with a current HP model will in fact make your headaches go away.

• Edited by Codewize Saturday, March 03, 2012 5:47 PM
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:09 PM
  • Set to never Sleep or Hibernate.

I've been having this problem for sometime now with one Windows 7 machine only. I was using a print server and the printer would go offline, so I connected the printer to another Windows 7 machine (which by the way never had a problem with the printer being offline)and the printer would still go offline. SNMP isn't there to uncheck and neither is offline printing.

My son-in-law (who owns a computer business) told me it could be having the problem after coming out of "Sleep" or "Hibernate" mode. The Windows 7 machine that had printing problems was set to both sleep and hibernate. The Windows 7 machine that never had print problems was set to never sleep or hibernate, only a blank screen saver.

The machine is now set to never sleep or hibernate and so far so good. I thought I'd throw this out because it had never been mentioned as a potential cause.

• Edited by Jingoist Sunday, March 04, 2012 3:37 PM
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 3:27 PM
  • Set to never Sleep or Hibernate.

I've been having this problem for sometime now with one Windows 7 machine only. I was using a print server and the printer would go offline, so I connected the printer to another Windows 7 machine (which by the way never had a problem with the printer being offline)and the printer would still go offline. SNMP isn't there to uncheck and neither is offline printing.

My son-in-law (who owns a computer business) told me it could be having the problem after coming out of "Sleep" or "Hibernate" mode. The Windows 7 machine that had printing problems was set to both sleep and hibernate. The Windows 7 machine that never had print problems was set to never sleep or hibernate, only a blank screen saver.

The machine is now set to never sleep or hibernate and so far so good. I thought I'd throw this out because it had never been mentioned as a potential cause.

Hmmm I'll have to check that. Makes sense I've seen laptops have problems with wireless connections for the same reason. I'll check the settings, test the theory and report back.
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 3:44 PM
  • I am having issues also, running Aficio NRG MPC3500 on PCL5c driver, networked printer with static IP, Nodes on Win7U.  I have run through all of the 'fixes' on here and other forums. I find the whole "go get HP products" thing unhelpfull. I am currently IT support with only a few months experiance and limited knowledge from a home network (no servers P2P). In Devices and Printers Periodically the MPC3500 greys out and displays as offline. Heres what i have tried;

-Reinstallation of printer (many times)

-SNMP Deactivation

-Altered Hibernation/Sleep options on printer and nodes

The only logical option left is Spooling, Best hit the threads again this problem has stalled my developement for a week GRRRR

FML F00k MS

Friday, March 16, 2012 8:56 AM
  • Turning off hibernation / sleep has not made a difference for me. The computers in question already had those turned off and still do.

Friday, March 16, 2012 11:35 AM
  • I  have a Network Printer i.e Canon C2020 Model. I was ping the printer ip address 172.21.142.121. ping is reply. then after While I was given to print to the printer then print is working. I need a solution.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 11:45 AM

Andy

Well done, Andy!

That fix works on every Windows 7 machine on my network!

Do you (or anyone here) have a clue as to why SNMP was the issue?

Best regards,
    Paul

Saturday, April 07, 2012 4:26 PM

Andy

Perfect Andy!  Did this for all of the printers showing offline while using wireless and they all showed up online immediately. :)
    My printers are hard-wired, and the fix worked similarly.
    • Proposed as answer by Nikolas57 Monday, April 16, 2012 3:08 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Nikolas57 Monday, April 16, 2012 3:08 PM
    Saturday, April 07, 2012 4:27 PM
  • I read this tread 2 months ago but nothing here help me, so i decide to open a case to MS.

After 5mn the tech answer me that it is a KNOW problem with win7 x64 SP1.

He provide me this as solution we applied this and so far so good :)

1. Try opening printers and devices and hitting F5 to refresh when they are showing offline and see if they return without a spooler restart (some customers have reported this works. While not a solution, we just need to confirm if this brings them online or not).

2. Disable Asynchronous RPC

Client side key: HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers\EnabledProtocols Type: DWORD Data: 6

Server side key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print REG Value: "DisableRpcTcp" REG_DWORD 1

3. Add the following registry key on clients (save in notepad with .reg extension and import):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers] "DestinationReachablePollingInterval"=dword:00000005

This changes the spooler behavior for polling the print servers for the print queue status. Default is 30 seconds, this changes the polling to 5 seconds.

4. Please ensure we disable Client Side Rendering. There is information about this in the following page:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2008/02/10/ws2008-client-side-rendering.aspx

But all you really need to do is uncheck the “Render Print Jobs on Client Computers” checkbox under the printer properties for the printer.

You can also disable CSR via group policy, you would need to enable the Always render print jobs on the server policy setting in the following Group Policy container: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Printers.

We didnt apply the point 3 but we apply point 1-2-4 and we dont have this problem anymore.

• Proposed as answer by Nikolas57 Monday, April 16, 2012 3:46 PM
    Monday, April 16, 2012 3:26 PM
  • As soon as I did turn off the SNMP it started printing straight away, great fix! Thanks heaps. Was a bit difficult to find. Had to click on printer and then configure ports. Once I could see the right printer port, under port settings it shows SNMP status enabled. I de-selected it and it started almost immediatley after hitting apply. Cheers
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:03 AM
  • Nikolas57,

I have been fighting this issue for the last 2 months. My symptoms are exactly like you and Codewize describe. None of the fixes described earlier solve this problem, only temporary work arounds. Based on your post I searched for Disabling Asynchronous RPC and found a new Hotfix Rollup from Microsoft that may help others here with this issue.

KB2647753 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2647753 dated March 14, 2012 describes correcting several printing related problems.

I am applying the hotfix to a single workstation now to check the results. I will post back with status.

ckidd
    • Edited by curtiskidd Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:14 PM
    • Proposed as answer by KYellick Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:20 PM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:32 PM
  • For what it is worth, un-checking "SNMP Status Enabled" worked for my situation as well.

Issue: Printer would go offline even though it was available online and others around the office could print. 

My Setup:

• Windows 7 Pro 
    • Printer Konica Minolta BizHub 350/250/200
    • Static IP address

Here is what my screens looked like. Find this one under port configuration. 

• User is limited on desktop PC
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:26 PM
  • For what it's worth I've actually found something that worked for me with some Lexmark devices.

Disable SNMP totally. Unchecking the box in the printer properties doesn't seem to change or do anything for me.
    Make the user or users have permission the the print spooler process.
    Restart the computer

This is the only complete resolution That I've found that works for more than a day.

• Edited by Codewize Thursday, May 24, 2012 8:47 PM
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 8:45 PM
  • Nikolas57,

I have been fighting this issue for the last 2 months. My symptoms are exactly like you and Codewize describe. None of the fixes described earlier solve this problem, only temporary work arounds. Based on your post I searched for Disabling Asynchronous RPC and found a new Hotfix Rollup from Microsoft that may help others here with this issue.

KB2647753 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2647753 dated March 14, 2012 describes correcting several printing related problems.

I am applying the hotfix to a single workstation now to check the results. I will post back with status.

ckidd

5-29-2012

Okay here is my update. I am also providing more detail about my environment since I have not done so to date.

Print Server: Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 hosting 20 printers, mostly HP

Workstation: Windows 7 Pro SP1 32-bit

Network Printers installed on this workstation: HP Laserjet P4015x PCL6, Canon iR-6065 UFRII, Canon iR-C5035 PS, Canon iPF610

Symptoms: Similar to Codewize, all my network printers will randomly show offline. Other users can print just fine to the same printers. This issue is related to Windows 7, the print server and the printers are never offline, only certain Win7 workstations show the printers offline.

Attempted solutions:

• Restarting the spooler services does bring the printers back online for a short period. Not a fix.
    • Verified all print drivers were the latest version - all were up to date.
    • Disabled SNMP checkbox from Ports/Configure Port/Port Settings. This had no effect on the problem, continued to show offline randomly.
    • Installed Hotfix KB2647753 referenced in earlier post on the workstation, no fix.
    • Installed Hotfix KB2647753 on the 2008 R2 server, different download, no fix.
    • Disabled Client Side Rendering, no fix

Working Solution:

Based on Codewize's post I logged into the HP Laserjet print server and disabled SNMP from the WebUI. I also disabled SNMP on the 2 Canon copiers. Since this change I have not had any offline printers for the past 5 days. Again this is not the SNMP checkbox on the server print queue, but on the printer's built in print server.

I never tried to Disable Asynchronous RPC like in Nikolas57's post. I still feel the SNMP disable is a workaround and not a fix, but like many administrators I don't have time to keep messing with printers.

Thanks to everyone that contributed. I'm happy to have a solution that keeps us functioning.

Curtis 

• Edited by curtiskidd Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:26 PM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 1:48 PM
  • I am having the same problem as noted by the writer at the beginning of these posts, and this forum is the first thing that showed up in my Google search.  My precise problem is getting a wireless printer to work from a laptop with a Windows 7 Enterprise operating system.

I found a couple things on this message board I will try, but I read through all the postings here just for their entertainment value alone (shows you I'm having a slow afternoon).  Where else will you find IT "experts" basically calling each other idiots with one suggesting that the other ought to be fired?  How about the person who suggested a "system restore"?  Well, if all else fails, do a system restore, I suppose.  Then he or she suggests that if the system restore doesn't work, go ahead and re-install the printer.  (Why on earth wouldn't he or she suggest the easiest thing first?)  How about the one who suggested editing something in the registry?  That sounds like playing with dynamite to me.  How about the IT expert who says the solution is to go out and buy an HP printer because there supposedly will be no problem with an HP printer.  Does that person really think this is a solution to this problem?  I hope not.  I am having this problem with an HP printer.

I'm no IT expert.  Just a home user who has been using home and office computers in a "more than novice" way (to say the least) for almost 30 years (back in the days of floppy disks when 3 1/2 inch disks and hard drives were unheard of).

This particular wireless printing problem is actually the second somewhat related printing problem I have had in the last week or so.  The first problem was when I installed a new wireless network at home.  I've been using a wireless network at home for years (with a several-years-old Netgear system), but some of my family members claimed it was too slow.  Well, it worked fine for me.  But one family member in particular, a teenage son, claimed it was too slow for his online computer games.  My advice to quit playing games and concentrate on school work did not fly very well.  He changed his argument and then claimed (with a straight face) that routine web access was too slow.  Again, I said it was fine for me.  Then he added, "How would you feel if I flunked an online test because I ran out of time due to slow internet access while waiting to go from one question to the next?  Well, I thought, knowing full well the first thing he would do with a "faster" wireless system would be to play games, I caved in.  Being "Apple crazy," my son asked me to get an Apple Airport Extreme wireless router.  And my lively wife, basically trying to keep our son happy (how weak!) demanded the same thing.  She also claimed, unconvincingly I might add, that routine web access was too slow.  This from a woman who just learned how to use e-mail a year or so ago and when asked why she never responds to text messages says "I don't know how."  My son read to me all of the raving reviews for this router, saying it will work with our PC's.  And - key to this story - it has a USB port for a printer to make the printer available to all who are on the network.  So Apple claims, and so Apple's instruction and installation booklet claims.  I went to Best Buy, after learning that Apple products apparently never go "on sale," bought the thing, followed all the instructions, installed it, and everyone has access to the internet wirelessly (and his games seem to be working fine - faster he claims).

But the wireless USB printer function did not work.  I did a Google search and discovered that apparently nobody has been able to get their USB printers to work with this Apple Airport Extreme router, at least from PC's.  (It works very well with Macs.)  I tried some of the "solutions" on those forums, to no avail (including solutions from "experts" who proposed solutions that users later said did not work - sound familiar?).  One thing I learned was that you have to find information that is relevant to the operating system on the computer you are having trouble with.  A "fix" that works with Windows XP might not work on a system running Windows Vista, and the same thing might well be true for systems (like my office laptop) using Windows 7 Enterprise.  I often do not see this bit of information on message boards like this, but I do think it is important to make sure the "solutions" you are reading about are geared to the operating system you are using.  This is a long, rambling post, but I hope this little piece of advice makes this post acceptable here.

My "fix" was just to skip the router (at least I thought that would be my "fix").  My printer worked on all computers before.  My home "users" (and I am the one who uses the printer the most) just connected the printer to their computer with the USB cable and everything worked fine.  So, I thought, I should be able to get a new "wireless" printer, which I hoped would act just like a printer actually connected to the computers.  I bought an HP wirless printer.  (Remember the IT wizard who said the solution was to buy an HP printer?)

This has worked for two of the computers in our house so far.  I used the CD that came with the printer to install the software and printer.  There are no "offline" problems with those two computers.  Both of those computers have Windows Vista.

Then I tried to do the same thing with my office laptop, which has Windows 7 Enterprise.  Unfortuantely, I cannot use the CD installation method.  It seems I do not have "administrator" privileges to do this, and based on past experience, I know better than to call the company help desk for assistance.  I will get a responses like "We do not allow installation of unapproved software" and "that software has not been tested to make sure it does not cause problems with the rest of our system," or a more likely IT solution, "go to the office and print your document."  Like my suggestion to my son that he quit playing computer games, any suggestion I make to our IT people to test my HP printer software will not fly.  They simply cannot be bothered with individual problems like this.  (The company actually encourages us to work from home a couple days a week, and everyone knows we need to print something once in a while.)  It seems as if the IT guys do not trust us amateurs.

But, I was able to "add a printer" through the Windows system.  I hope my company's IT people are not reading this, or otherwise they will block my ability to "add a printer," because, after all, I might screw up the computer.  I "added the printer," printed a test page as instructed, printed out a couple other sample documents, and everything was working fine at first.  But then, after a while, when I tried to print another document, I discovered that my printer was "offline" (WHAT??) and could not be used.  This was puzzling.  I went to my other computer (mine - where I do have administrator privileges and where I was able to use the installation CD), and was able to print a document wirelessly while the office computer said the printer was "offline."

I did notice that at one point, the printer itself apparently "went to sleep."  After a couple minutes of use, the control panel and the "on/off" switch go dark (maybe so the printer can "sleep"), and I am wondering if that might in fact be the basic problem.  Does my office laptop think my printer is all of a sudden "offline" when it "goes to sleep"?  Although my own PC can "wake the printer up" and print something, maybe the office computer is unable to do this.

And so that resulted in the Google search that lead me to this forum.  Of all the things that have been proposed so far, I like the "uncheck the SNMP" box best.  I checked my printer properties, and sure enough, this box is checked.  That seemed to work for a few folks, and it sure sounds like the easiest solution if it works.  If that does not work, I will try one of the other simpler "fixes."  I am not going to do a sytem restore (I am not even sure if our IT guys trust me enought to be able to do that), and I am not going to play with dynamite by editing entries in the registry (I would be even more surprised if I have access to the registry).  And I am not going to follow the IT wizard's proposal to go buy another HP computer based on his word that this is a good "fix."  (I hope he is not the one who suggested that the other IT guy should be fired.)  If all else fails, I have a spare computer, and I will just plug it into my USB port.  This worked well for a long time, and it will work well again.

Next step?  Or next problem, I should say?  That will be my wife's office laptop.  Her company likewise does not trust anyone enough to give out "administrator" privilege passwords.  We will see if we can get the printer to work from her computer.

P.S. - Next day.  I took the office laptop home last night (Tuesday) to try the "uncheck the SNMP box" fix.  The printer itself had been "asleep" since Sunday (the only light on was the wireless indicator).  I started up the computer, opened the printer control screen, and it looked like the computer was "alive" again.  I opened a Word document, and was able to print it.  The printer was no longer "offline."  The only thing different from Sunday was that I used the computer in the office for a couple days, so counting Tuesday night, the computer had been "rebooted" three times.  I had dismissed any suggestions to use a "reboot" as a fix, because I had tried that on Sunday a couple of times, to no avail.  I waited a couple hours, opened Word again, and was able to print another document.  Then I left the machine on all night, and was able to print a document again this morning.  We'll see how this works in the future, but for the time being there is no need to uncheck the SNMP box.  This goes to show you that solutions that work for some do not work for all, and that an originally tried solution might work if tried again.  Go figure.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:56 PM
  • Hello everyone, my name is Craig Marcho and I am a Senior Support Escalation Engineer in the Microsoft Platforms Core Team, and I work with John Dickson.

John has moved to a different team, and I am one of the engineers that has been working on this offline printer issue for many months now.

I'm happy to announce that we released a hotfix today that addresses this issue.

If all of the previous troubleshooting has not provided relief, then there is a good chance you are hitting the issue this hotfix addresses. We found that this issue occurs because a restricted client thread detects an offline print server. When a client thread detects that a print server is offline, Windows registers a polling loop to check the status of the print server. After the polling loop is registered, Windows queries the print server periodically to check whether it is back online.

In rare cases, a client thread that has a restricted token detects that a print server is offline. In this situation, Windows registers the polling loop in the context of this thread. However, the thread does not have sufficient rights to query the print server. Therefore, the polling request fails. Restarting the spooler or the client machine will obviously kill this thread running under the restricted context and will query the server with the correct security.

The hotfix is available here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2713128

Please download the hotfix and let us know here if this resolves your issue.

Thank you.

Craig Marcho - Senior Support Escalation Engineer Microsoft Platforms Core Team

• Proposed as answer by cmarcho Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:32 PM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:32 PM
  • I am having the same problem as noted by the writer at the beginning of these posts, and this forum is the first thing that showed up in my Google search.  My precise problem is getting a wireless printer to work from a laptop with a Windows 7 Enterprise operating system.

I found a couple things on this message board I will try, but I read through all the postings here just for their entertainment value alone (shows you I'm having a slow afternoon).  Where else will you find IT "experts" basically calling each other idiots with one suggesting that the other ought to be fired?  How about the person who suggested a "system restore"?  Well, if all else fails, do a system restore, I suppose.  Then he or she suggests that if the system restore doesn't work, go ahead and re-install the printer.  (Why on earth wouldn't he or she suggest the easiest thing first?)  How about the one who suggested editing something in the registry?  That sounds like playing with dynamite to me.  How about the IT expert who says the solution is to go out and buy an HP printer because there supposedly will be no problem with an HP printer.  Does that person really think this is a solution to this problem?  I hope not.  I am having this problem with an HP printer.

I'm no IT expert.  Just a home user who has been using home and office computers in a "more than novice" way (to say the least) for almost 30 years (back in the days of floppy disks when 3 1/2 inch disks and hard drives were unheard of).

This particular wireless printing problem is actually the second somewhat related printing problem I have had in the last week or so.  The first problem was when I installed a new wireless network at home.  I've been using a wireless network at home for years (with a several-years-old Netgear system), but some of my family members claimed it was too slow.  Well, it worked fine for me.  But one family member in particular, a teenage son, claimed it was too slow for his online computer games.  My advice to quit playing games and concentrate on school work did not fly very well.  He changed his argument and then claimed (with a straight face) that routine web access was too slow.  Again, I said it was fine for me.  Then he added, "How would you feel if I flunked an online test because I ran out of time due to slow internet access while waiting to go from one question to the next?  Well, I thought, knowing full well the first thing he would do with a "faster" wireless system would be to play games, I caved in.  Being "Apple crazy," my son asked me to get an Apple Airport Extreme wireless router.  And my lively wife, basically trying to keep our son happy (how weak!) demanded the same thing.  She also claimed, unconvincingly I might add, that routine web access was too slow.  This from a woman who just learned how to use e-mail a year or so ago and when asked why she never responds to text messages says "I don't know how."  My son read to me all of the raving reviews for this router, saying it will work with our PC's.  And - key to this story - it has a USB port for a printer to make the printer available to all who are on the network.  So Apple claims, and so Apple's instruction and installation booklet claims.  I went to Best Buy, after learning that Apple products apparently never go "on sale," bought the thing, followed all the instructions, installed it, and everyone has access to the internet wirelessly (and his games seem to be working fine - faster he claims).

But the wireless USB printer function did not work.  I did a Google search and discovered that apparently nobody has been able to get their USB printers to work with this Apple Airport Extreme router, at least from PC's.  (It works very well with Macs.)  I tried some of the "solutions" on those forums, to no avail (including solutions from "experts" who proposed solutions that users later said did not work - sound familiar?).  One thing I learned was that you have to find information that is relevant to the operating system on the computer you are having trouble with.  A "fix" that works with Windows XP might not work on a system running Windows Vista, and the same thing might well be true for systems (like my office laptop) using Windows 7 Enterprise.  I often do not see this bit of information on message boards like this, but I do think it is important to make sure the "solutions" you are reading about are geared to the operating system you are using.  This is a long, rambling post, but I hope this little piece of advice makes this post acceptable here.

My "fix" was just to skip the router (at least I thought that would be my "fix").  My printer worked on all computers before.  My home "users" (and I am the one who uses the printer the most) just connected the printer to their computer with the USB cable and everything worked fine.  So, I thought, I should be able to get a new "wireless" printer, which I hoped would act just like a printer actually connected to the computers.  I bought an HP wirless printer.  (Remember the IT wizard who said the solution was to buy an HP printer?)

This has worked for two of the computers in our house so far.  I used the CD that came with the printer to install the software and printer.  There are no "offline" problems with those two computers.  Both of those computers have Windows Vista.

Then I tried to do the same thing with my office laptop, which has Windows 7 Enterprise.  Unfortuantely, I cannot use the CD installation method.  It seems I do not have "administrator" privileges to do this, and based on past experience, I know better than to call the company help desk for assistance.  I will get a responses like "We do not allow installation of unapproved software" and "that software has not been tested to make sure it does not cause problems with the rest of our system," or a more likely IT solution, "go to the office and print your document."  Like my suggestion to my son that he quit playing computer games, any suggestion I make to our IT people to test my HP printer software will not fly.  They simply cannot be bothered with individual problems like this.  (The company actually encourages us to work from home a couple days a week, and everyone knows we need to print something once in a while.)  It seems as if the IT guys do not trust us amateurs.

But, I was able to "add a printer" through the Windows system.  I hope my company's IT people are not reading this, or otherwise they will block my ability to "add a printer," because, after all, I might screw up the computer.  I "added the printer," printed a test page as instructed, printed out a couple other sample documents, and everything was working fine at first.  But then, after a while, when I tried to print another document, I discovered that my printer was "offline" (WHAT??) and could not be used.  This was puzzling.  I went to my other computer (mine - where I do have administrator privileges and where I was able to use the installation CD), and was able to print a document wirelessly while the office computer said the printer was "offline."

I did notice that at one point, the printer itself apparently "went to sleep."  After a couple minutes of use, the control panel and the "on/off" switch go dark (maybe so the printer can "sleep"), and I am wondering if that might in fact be the basic problem.  Does my office laptop think my printer is all of a sudden "offline" when it "goes to sleep"?  Although my own PC can "wake the printer up" and print something, maybe the office computer is unable to do this.

And so that resulted in the Google search that lead me to this forum.  Of all the things that have been proposed so far, I like the "uncheck the SNMP" box best.  I checked my printer properties, and sure enough, this box is checked.  That seemed to work for a few folks, and it sure sounds like the easiest solution if it works.  If that does not work, I will try one of the other simpler "fixes."  I am not going to do a sytem restore (I am not even sure if our IT guys trust me enought to be able to do that), and I am not going to play with dynamite by editing entries in the registry (I would be even more surprised if I have access to the registry).  And I am not going to follow the IT wizard's proposal to go buy another HP computer based on his word that this is a good "fix."  (I hope he is not the one who suggested that the other IT guy should be fired.)  If all else fails, I have a spare computer, and I will just plug it into my USB port.  This worked well for a long time, and it will work well again.

Next step?  Or next problem, I should say?  That will be my wife's office laptop.  Her company likewise does not trust anyone enough to give out "administrator" privilege passwords.  We will see if we can get the printer to work from her computer.

P.S. - Next day.  I took the office laptop home last night (Tuesday) to try the "uncheck the SNMP box" fix.  The printer itself had been "asleep" since Sunday (the only light on was the wireless indicator).  I started up the computer, opened the printer control screen, and it looked like the computer was "alive" again.  I opened a Word document, and was able to print it.  The printer was no longer "offline."  The only thing different from Sunday was that I used the computer in the office for a couple days, so counting Tuesday night, the computer had been "rebooted" three times.  I had dismissed any suggestions to use a "reboot" as a fix, because I had tried that on Sunday a couple of times, to no avail.  I waited a couple hours, opened Word again, and was able to print another document.  Then I left the machine on all night, and was able to print a document again this morning.  We'll see how this works in the future, but for the time being there is no need to uncheck the SNMP box.  This goes to show you that solutions that work for some do not work for all, and that an originally tried solution might work if tried again.  Go figure.

Generally speaking, if a network interface on a printer is active, the USB interface will be disabled.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:12 PM
  • Hi All,

I am having the same problem.  My scenario is fairly straightforward: 2 Windows 7 64bit machines.  2 printers (one HP, one Samsung) connected via USB cables to machine A.  Machine A shares it's printers using Windows File & Printer sharing.  

Machine B prints to Machine A's printers using \\MachineA\Printer1 and \\MachineA\Printer2.  

This has been OK for months and months.  However, something recently has caused a problem, and both printers now appear as offline on Machine B.  I can only assume a Windows update has caused the issue as nothing else is installed on these machines (they are office computers in a garage).  

So I have tried most of the suggestions on this thread (apart from the registry tinkering!).  Also I can't turn off SNMP for the printers as suggested by many, I get the "cannot configure port" option if I select the printer port and press the "configure" button.  I checked the "turn windows features on or off" and SNMP isn't even enabled.

Anyway I haven't tried the hotfixes yet:

A question more for cmarcho really...should I install both?  Or just the one you posted July 11th 2012?  

I have auto Windows update turned on, would that have picked up the hotfix?

Is there an easy way to tell if the hotfix has already been applied?

Thanks....

• Proposed as answer by Brad Foskett Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:25 PM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:55 PM
  • Craig Marcho

The hot fix did not work... very frustrating issue as i have tried a number of things...

I'm able to connect to the administration interface of the printer via a browser, but can not get this printer 'online'.

Also, let me added, if i send a over a print job ("print test page") and then recycle the printer spooler it will print, but the printer remains offline...
    • Edited by Marty2012 Friday, August 03, 2012 4:55 AM
    Friday, August 03, 2012 4:49 AM
  • Many Thanks. This one worked for me.

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 5:52 AM
  • What worked for you.  Please explain

Monday, August 20, 2012 11:56 PM
  • I was not able to change SNMP settings. I restarted the local "Print Spooler" service. For me this helped immediatelly.
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:15 AM
  • This is the only solution that has worked for me. While it may be a workaround, it is not difficult to implement. Ultimately, the problem is with Windows 7, and as of this writing Windows 8 is due soon, so I doubt if Microsoft will ever issue a fix. In fairness, I've used Windows 7 for several years and did not have this issue until recently, so I assume there must be some update or software combination causing the problem and not an inherent bug in Win7.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 12:06 PM
  • My own personal experience is that my network printer has a set IP of say
    192.168.1.3.  From the command prompt I used command “ping –a 192.168.1.3 “  to
    only discover it was not associated with my Printer but the IP had actually been
    taken by one of my PC’s on the network. To resolve the issue, via printer
    properties I changed my printer IP by a single number (that was not already
    allocated) and my printer was  no longer offline and I was able to print once
    again.
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 10:34 AM
  • My own personal experience is that my network printer has a set IP of say
    192.168.1.3.  From the command prompt I used command “ping –a 192.168.1.3 “  to
    only discover it was not associated with my Printer but the IP had actually been
    taken by one of my PC’s on the network. To resolve the issue, via printer
    properties I changed my printer IP by a single number (that was not already
    allocated) and my printer was  no longer offline and I was able to print once
    again.

This post is a complete waste of time. You're going back the the discussion of moron administrators allowing printers to get IP via DHCP. Most of us here are professionals and understand how to properly add a printer to a network, which you obviously dont.

We don't need you to tell us about how you did it wrong and tried to print to an IP address which has since been used by another device. This is not amature hour.

There is a real problem with the spooler in Windows 7 which apparently now has a hotfix to address the issue.

Sunday, August 26, 2012 11:51 AM
  • Hi All,

I am having the same problem.  My scenario is fairly straightforward: 2 Windows 7 64bit machines.  2 printers (one HP, one Samsung) connected via USB cables to machine A.  Machine A shares it's printers using Windows File & Printer sharing.  

Machine B prints to Machine A's printers using \\MachineA\Printer1 and \\MachineA\Printer2.  

This has been OK for months and months.  However, something recently has caused a problem, and both printers now appear as offline on Machine B.  I can only assume a Windows update has caused the issue as nothing else is installed on these machines (they are office computers in a garage).  

So I have tried most of the suggestions on this thread (apart from the registry tinkering!).  Also I can't turn off SNMP for the printers as suggested by many, I get the "cannot configure port" option if I select the printer port and press the "configure" button.  I checked the "turn windows features on or off" and SNMP isn't even enabled.

Anyway I haven't tried the hotfixes yet:

A question more for cmarcho really...should I install both?  Or just the one you posted July 11th 2012?  

I have auto Windows update turned on, would that have picked up the hotfix?

Is there an easy way to tell if the hotfix has already been applied?

Thanks....

Hi, I suggest you install both. The 2647753 is a hotfix rollup that includes many updates to the print components.

The 2713128 is only for the specific issue with the restricted token in the spooler thread.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 12:14 AM
  • try unchecking SNMP in the properties of the printer port. This may show the printer back online again. If restarting the spooler does not work for you, then you have a different issue than what most are discussing, from what I can tell.

There was a KB that covers the SNMP issue here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946198

Thursday, August 30, 2012 12:16 AM
  • Thanks Andy, SNMP was the trick for my Xerox workcentre 5755.  Windows 7 is frustrating on SOOO many levels.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 10:22 PM
  • Wow - to say that this post is not an interesting read would be an understatement. Almost like watching an episode of Dallas or something. And to figure that it lasted from Oct 5 2009 to current is pretty amazing and there still (for me anyway) is not a solution to the issue at hand. I too am in the same boat. We are slow to the show though - we held off on W7 till the last minute. So I have a primarily old network, and thing were working great A W2003 AD Domain with all XPPro. My Domain is split across physically distant facilities - the Primary AD controller is in the main facility - and I have a secondary one at the remote facility. All working via VPN tunnels between the facilities. We started adding W7 Pro to main facility about 2 years ago, and have no issues like this at all. Added four to the remote location a couple of months ago - and this issue has raised its ugly head. And even though I am late to the game, my issue seems to be a bit different than yours with some similarities - I believe it is an Administration issue along with some networking issue solely on the Win7 computer. Here is what started happening at my locations:

Users cannot print to a statically assigned network printer from their W7 computers (it calles them Offline). The printer is network only, not shared by a server - each W7 is configure to print to a TCP/IP printer directly. The users cannot print from W7 - however - if they remote to their RDP session hosted at the Main facility - it is printing back this network with out issue. So too are the WXp pro computers in this facility. So naturally I try to Ping the printer - cannot. Even Try Pinging the printer with an Admin run console using the ping -4 (to get rid of the IP6 crap) and it intermittently works, but eventually fails. It will work for a spell, then fail after trying the different things here (have not gotten to the updates yet, but that will be next on my list). 

I get the feeling that MS in their infinite wisdom have tried to secure the OS by messing with the TCP/IP or some other wacky thing and they are seeing some really strange results because of it.

To the one that likes restore --> I suppose if it works for you rock on, but it does not really address the issue.

To the one that un-checks SNMP (or for that matter turns it off on the printer) --> If it works great, does not address the issue - you should not have to disable other functionality to get this working - and it worked for me temporarily. Personally never learned to use SNMP - so it is useless to me anyway. But I think this issue goes deeper. 

To the one that likes purchasing new printers --> I am sure HP & MS both love this approach and you, and again if it works for you and you have the funds - why not replace your hardware and PC's every 2 - 3 years for that matter, just get them on a lease and roll them puppies every 2 - 3 years the OEM's will love you for it. Still does not address the issue.

To the folks that keep knocking the noobs or less technically inclined --> they are a direct result of using MS products so leave them alone, ya get what you get and don't have a fit. If running your printer in DHCP mode works for you (albeit it temporary) rock on - but you may have issues down the road.  

It is interesting that the original Poster ED never replied again after his original post. Wonder if he found a fix? 

I still feel that it is a networking/security issue as the W7 computer has no issues at all reaching the Gateway or the Internet or the other computers in the Main facility across the VPN, or some other printers in the facility - for some reason it has deemed this one a leper and is shunning it I am sure. At the same time it is also shunning the AD controller in this facility - not the main one, just its own - so now all authentication requests are going to main facility across the VPN and this printer is shunned. Any way still fighting the good fight. Since these folks at the remote facility are all remote anyway and use RDP to access the main production environment, should just wipe all their PC's and put Ubuntu on them. That would certainly fix things faster than this running around in circles chasing my tail approach that has been going on so far.  

Saturday, October 13, 2012 12:50 PM
  • I think I'm the one who likes replacing printers so I'll chime in.

First of all this is somewhat of a moot point now since the fix / patch has been released.

Since most of the printers I was replacing were 200 year old Lexmark crap I didn't really have a difficult time getting funding for that. Secondly, this is a prime example of why I won't let my clients buy anything other than HP. In all my years of doing this I have to say that every time I've allowed a client to buy something other than an HP printer, it's come back to bite us in the ass. It's just not worth it. HP works all the time every time. At least that my experience.

In addition we found that on certain devices, giving the user local admin rights and assigning those rights to the printer, that the problem was also corrected.

I don't have issues with RDP printers, again, if you use HP printers most of them are natively supported so there are no issues.

Sunday, October 14, 2012 4:24 PM
  • To be completely honest - I too am partial of HP Laserjet Printers. For the majority of the time as long as you are not buying their low end based home models - they work very well and last forever if taken care of. Which is why I would like to keep this HP LJ 4000 Color printer that has worked flawlessly through the years and is being shunned by these Windows 7 computers for what ever reason Windows 7 thinks they should be shunned. But when every other computer (that is not W7) in the network continues to print fine to this printer, I find it hard to justify replacing  it with another 1K printer.

This must be an issue that can get resolved, it is definitely W7 doing it - but alas I must say I am nearing the end of my rope - having tried all the tricks listed here and completely removing my Domain (one less server to contend with I suppose) to dealing with independent standalone Vanilla W7 installs and am still experiencing the issue (even after applying all the MS fixes / patches) my final course of action since these are fairly new purchases with be to subject the OEM to my problem, in hopes that they can shake and answer out of Microsoft. If I do find one, (an answer that is) I will surely post it here. 

[Oh and on a side note, if those lexmark piece of craps lasted 200 years, sounds like you definitely got your monies worth =) I have some tn520's that are just plain rock solid printers and they keep right on truckin - HP is good but doesn't mean there are not good alternatives/comp out there either as it should be]

I would LOVE to lease my gear and roll it every three or five years trying to stay on top of the MS upgrade path, but it is just not financially feasible nor do I want to keep relearning or becoming re-certified every time MS decides to change something that was working perfectly fine before as they decided to improve it - hey just like this hosed up windows 7 networking stack that cannot even reliably ping another host in the same subnet without disabling everything, making all users admins and editing the registry 100 times.

Sunday, October 14, 2012 5:45 PM
  • Think I may have had a small break through over the weekend/this morning. I belive it is definately Network related, specifically DNS. I think (dont know for sure or not) that W7 is getting security whacked if it cannot resolve the address correctly and just drops it or something like that. And add to that - you cannot just edit the host file due to a weird bug in that as well - you have to delete the hosts file and re-add it as admin then do your editing. After removing everything (all the little fixes were removed and then I got the Hosts file usable and things started working again) after installing all patches etc.... Very strange this W7 networking.
    Monday, October 15, 2012 3:52 PM
  • Well so much for that - now Ill just grovel and plead and see if any one has experienced something similar to what I am seeing and what it might be. It was working for a little bit, just like it does each time. Till the user needs it, then it gone doing the same thing again. Here is what I am looking at now 4 Command Prompts on three computers.

LAPTOP WXppro (SUBNET A)

Server W2008 R2 (in different Subnet [B] accesing this network via VPN and Internet)

W7 Desktop (SUBNET A)

Printer HPLJ 4700N (SUBNET A)

Server Ping Printer consistent (from 150 - 64MS)

Laptop Ping Printer Intermittent (from 1ms) either good or Request time out.

W7 Ping Printer Request time out.

W7 Ping Laptop 1 - 3 ms consistent.

This may be different from what you guys were experiencing, maybe I got a wacky switch or some thing but all are stupid unmanaged switches from Netgear. Before, I was only seeing the W7's Request time out. Now I am seeing even the XP's intermittently time out.

Monday, October 15, 2012 9:15 PM
  • I am experiencing a similar problem, but our printers are connected to a 2k8 Print server, the windows 7 clients which connect to them continue to show the print queues as going offline.  We have tried disabling SNMP, restarting the printers and the print service, and the computers...no help.  

So far the only workaround I have found is to install the printers as local printers via TCP/IP port on the 7 machines directly, but that isn't a viable solution in an enterprise environment with hundreds of printers and thousands of users like ours for anything other than VIP support. 

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:24 PM
  • For what it's worth I've actually found something that worked for me with some Lexmark devices.

Disable SNMP totally. Unchecking the box in the printer properties doesn't seem to change or do anything for me.
    Make the user or users have permission the the print spooler process.
    Restart the computer

This is the only complete resolution That I've found that works for more than a day.

Did anyone bother to read this?
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:43 PM
  • Yup tried that too - and I think just like the disabeling of SNMP on the Client, it only keeps the printers from reporting anything (like that its offline) - it is still offline, and cannot communicate to the printer, but without SNMP the printer and the client cannot tell each other that. So in my situation it only made every other client in the network unable to tell if the toner was low while still leaving the W7 computers offline. 

Today gonna take a look at hardware - yesterday when I would reset my unmanaged switch the XP computer would ping for a spell - made me think something might be getting wacked in the routing. Not sure its picking on this printer, or main from W7 clients, but something is afoot. 

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:18 PM
  • Could not agree more, glad I don't have such a setup. These folks were originally set up by an IT consultant. We are talking about maybe 7 PC's and two printers total. They never should have been set up with a Domain in the first place considering they are a remote office and really do not need that level. They are easily managed with manual process - well - they were anyway until I started adding these W7 PC's. 

The more I am messing with W7 honestly the more I like it - I would have to say its probably better than XP was. I need to verify that I am not chasing hardware that is causing the W7 clients to drop the networking sooner than the XP's before I totally bash the OS. 

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:23 PM
  • Wow - took my network connections out of my Netgear Switch and stuck them into my Cisco ASA spare ports and every thing worked fine (albeit slower on the 100MB connection), and then I noticed this on my XPPro Laptop:

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.6:
        Packets: Sent = 32, Received = 0, Lost = 32 (100% loss),
    Control-C
    ^C
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc>ipconfig /flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.1.155 --- 0x3
      Internet Address      Physical Address      Type
      192.168.1.1           xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-9c     dynamic
      192.168.1.6           xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-9c     dynamic <-- why is my mac address same as the GW?
      192.168.1.158         xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-bd     dynamic

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc>arp -d 192.168.1.6

Plugged into the Cisco

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc>ping 192.168.1.6

Pinging 192.168.1.6 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Reply from 192.168.1.6: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.6:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 1ms

192.168.1.6           xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-63     dynamic <-- well looky there something different

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc>ping -t 192.168.1.6

Pinging 192.168.1.6 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

• Edited by DAXQ Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:42 PM obsure mac
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:39 PM
  • Back to the printer.

I have tried two netgear 5 port switches, 1 backup Cisco ASA 5505 (as a switch and for one of these computer I am still getting a mac address assigned the same as the GW - having tried all those different switches/routers the only common thing left must be the thing for me - can only be the JetDirect card on the printer flaking out.

Or am i just missing some thing basic?

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 3:59 PM
  • OK so hows this for whack a doo - My printer is connected to a small netgear 5 port switch (as is one of the W7 PC that is experiencing this issue). As a means to eliminate hardware I started switching things around today (suspecting a goofy cheap switch) and on this W7 computer hooked to the little 5port switch as I said earlier, I tried a second netgear 5 port and a little Cisco ASA on these connections and was getting the same results - the mac address of the broken printers are getting set to the GW mac address. When I tried remove the arp entry I could not - each time I delete it popped back up - guessing the Print Spooler was recreating these entries, I did the following:

1) Stop the print spooler on the W7 computer - it is dynamically creating the arp entries that match my GW

2) create static entries on the computer with the correct mac to ip addresses link

3) restart the print spooler

working so far.

Wouldnt relesh having to do this on more than one PC let alone numerous -then again, if this is the problem, and its occuring on a print server - I suppose you would only have to statically create it once. 

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:41 PM
  • One final note - using the typical arp -s does not hang around after a reboot and I was right back where I was before. So I ended up doing:

C:\Windows\system32>netsh interface ipv4 add neighbors "Local Area Connection 2" "192.168.1.6" "xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-63"

which is doing the trick for now. When the computer boots, I have the printers that we un-pingable and therefore unreachable and Offline comming right up with the computer. Not sure what the heck is doing this, again if some one sees something in my noob networking please let me know, as I would like to find out what the heck made this happen and I dont think I should have to be adding static arp entries in Windows 7.

• Edited by DAXQ Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:42 PM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:49 PM
  • Nope, Nope Nope Nope Nope. Should have know trying to brut force it would not resolve. This worked for a while just liket the reset. Fairly convinced that the JetDirect card in the printer is garbage and just plain messing with me.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:34 PM
  • Started to suspect it was the Universal print driver. When we started using 64 bit computers, there were not a lot of 64 bit drivers and we ended up using the HP Universal PLC5 (6 was always causing problems 5 seemed more stable). Guess just for simplicities sake, it was easier to just use it rather than anything else. Found out there is a Windows Update for the 64 drivers and this printer is in the update. Tried that (updateing the drivers) - same thing when the printer checks to see if the printer is still there, it ends up setting the GW mac address to the ip address rather than its own. 

It must be the nic card on the printer. Think I just do not want to succumb to the cost of new one (1500 for an application specific one). Bummer. Could try and swap out the jet direct card, but why on a discontinued model - would have to go with Codewize on this one.

Sorry to have been blathering on this post today, but I figured I could use it later to document my findings later.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:18 PM
  • Ahh tis not the NIC card tis the )#*(&$)@#*($!*@#$^!_@#$)(&(*& router it is!
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:38 PM
  • Ok folks, thanks for allowing me to blather on in this post. Seems my issue was probably not the same as what you guys were experiencing, but in the end this is what I learned - so I will post this final bit and stop pestering you good people!

My issue was routing. Apparently a Cisco ASA I recently installed had a default setting to Proxy the ARP requests. This was causing (intermittently mind you) the printer [and even once or twice the AD controller in this facility] to set the mac addresses on a client PC as the router mac address rather than the mac address of the device it was supposed to be - which made w7 flag the printer as Offline - even though I could ping from other devices that had the correct addressing - with connectivity issues always check the arp table first - was one of the last things I did, haven't messed with arp since configuring printers the old fashion way many moons ago.

On my Cisco asa 5505 I disabled this via: asdm  > configuration > routing > proxy arps >  disable inside interface

Since doing this i have not seen the issue again, and my ping requests have also started responding much faster. 

I also learned to always assimilate - use the windows drivers when you can - i was ready to chuck a very expensive HPLJ 4700N printer - yes this is a dinosaur, but after replacing the 64bit HP Universal drivers with the windows 7 64 drivers  - it is running like a new printer. This was accomplished by using windows update while adding the printer to check for new available drivers every time I add a printer. Now that process leaves a bit to be desired, but I think you can also get the drivers at this address: catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/

any way, thanks for the inputs and the place to post my results. Yall have a good one. 

Friday, October 19, 2012 9:04 PM
  • I am having this problem as well. I have been able to get the printers to show online again by restarting the print spooler. Does anyone have a fix? I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Restarting the print spooler worked for me as well on Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit. To restart the print spooler:

1. Open "Services" (If you don't know where that is click the blue start button and type "Services")
    2. Right-click "Print Spooler" and select "Restart"

"Early morning hath gold in its mouth"

Thursday, January 10, 2013 12:00 AM

• The solution is to replace all your printers with HP printer. For whatever reason I've never seen this problem occur with an HP device. This whole thing with SNMP is a workaround that works for some and not others.

I have a HP Officejet Pro L7680 which had this problem with Win 7 x64, Andy's solution worked for me, as others have said go to printer properties etc configure port and uncheck SNMP. My printer is on wired lan has a reserved ip address and worked fine until recently. The SNMP may only be a band aid but it has at least got documents printing again, as others have said it is likely to be a permissions problem and I resolve myself to reapplying SNMP after windows updates to see if the problem has been rectified.
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:26 PM
  • Dear Vivian,

I don't think you are solving any problem.  This is a Windows 7 issue, either configuration or some bug as the printer works in the past via network now appears offline.

Pls do not BS the users to restore a perfectly running system as a trial and error way to brush off the real roblem.

SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

The solution I found to the printer is offline when its not is bypasses all of the Microsoft BS and is a simple solution. First, make sure the printer is connected to the network. Second, configure the settings on the printer to a static IP address. Next, add the printer to devices manually. Next, go to ports and add a port with the IP address of the printer and APPLY, not ok. Last, Print a test page to verify the solution. This solution bypasses all of the printer drivers and software crap and sends the document straight to the printer. PATH FOR W7: START>DEVICES AND PRINTERS>ADD PRINTER>R-CLICK PRINTER>PRINTER PROPERTIES>PORTS>ADD PORT>DESIRED STATIC IP>APPLY>VERIFY CORRECT PORT IS SELECTED>OK>PROBLEM SOLVED.

It is also possible that the print spoler needs to be rest. you can do this manually or use this text in a .bat file.

net stop spooler
    del /F /Q %systemroot%\System32\spool\PRINTERS\*
    net start spooler

Hope this helps =)

Slater

Thursday, September 12, 2013 8:57 PM
  • WHY WOULD YOU RESTORE BECAUSE OF A PRINTER.

ensure the correct driver is loaded.

ensure there is connectivity

and maybe uninstall and reinstall.

Restore should be last not first.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:25 PM
  • I had an opposite solution: I have a HP LaserJet 1320N printer installed locally (by TCPIP) to a Windows 7 64-bit computer. I went into the HP LaserJet 1320N settings via a Web Browser.  Under Networking + Management Protocols + SNMP: UNCHECK the box "Disable SNMPv1/v2 default Get Community Name of "public"" This immediately resolved the offline status for me.

Friday, November 01, 2013 12:49 PM
  • The best way to resolve this problem is to go to you control panel, then select devices and printers.

The remove every version of the printer that is giving you the problem.

Once this is completed re boot the computer.

7 will find the printer you deleted and re-install it and it will usually function properly.

Good luck 

Terry

Be nice if Gates paid attention!!

Sunday, December 15, 2013 12:37 AM
  • Thank you.

I have one printer, Win 7 64 bit, Canon MP600... getting same message, "printer offline"......

only at first printing, but, was not a problem till about three months ago. 

this was never a problem until recently, so often, after update... a new problem with some other device or software. I hate to update.... thinking, now what won't work...

and the community.... too many offering advice that does not apply, or off site software, or instructions that cause bigger problems beyond my ability to handle....

nice to see someone post a simple response

Monday, January 27, 2014 6:18 PM
  • Bingo
    Friday, February 21, 2014 5:38 PM
  •   the issue is once again rearing its ugly head in 2014.  Uninstalled and reinstalled printer, printer drivers, reconfigured ports, all to no avail.  This sure did the trick.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 7:20 PM
  • Hi there,

I can tell that this issue can occur for multiple reasons so it's not easy to come up with a single solution. One of the things that works almost every time is to reinstall or update the driver ( in case there is new version ). Another thing that might help sometimes is to restart the printer spooler service. Another thing that worked for me was to uncheck in "Printer properties" - "Ports" - "Configure port" the "SNMP Status Enabled". I think this last issue mostly occurs when changes are made to the printer's SNMP settings.

I hope this helps,

Zoli

Friday, May 09, 2014 3:49 PM
  • THANKX, VERY HELPFUL ......
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 9:23 AM
  • Try this

1. Click Start , click Run , type “Devmgmt.msc” (without quotes) in the search box and press enter. The Device Manager window opens.
    2. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    3. Right-click a USB Root Hub in the list, and then click Properties. The USB Root Hub Properties dialog box is displayed.
    4. Click the Power Management tab.
    5. Click to clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box, and then click OK.
    6. Repeat steps 3 through 6 for each USB Root Hub in the list.
    7. On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes. Windows recognizes the new device.
    8. Now follow the same steps for the network adapter as well.

Thursday, July 24, 2014 8:52 AM