none
Windows 8 upgrade install, iexplore.exe missing - no IE10 for Metro or desktop

Question

• It's all in the title.  I upgraded from 7 to 8, kept my files and programs.  Once I logged into Win8, IE was a funny, program-missing style icon.  Everything I found online talked about the issue of using Chrome or Firefox as default browser, so clicking on IE would send you to the desktop.  That happens to me, but nothing opens on the desktop.  When I manually try to run the program, it says iexplorer.exe is missing.  Help!  Can't download IE10 either, everything says it comes pre-installed. Well, in my case it isn't!
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 5:29 AM

Answers

• I unchecked it, rebooted computer

Was there another browser found then to be your default?   Did you try uninstalling it?

BTW it is  iexplore.exe  that you should be looking for and if your OS is 64-bit you would need to find two of them, one in  %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\  and one in  "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Internet Explorer\.   However, you should be able to launch it simply by using Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter:)

iexplore.exe  -nohome  -extoff

And if that causes problem symptoms you can get more detailed clues about them by using tools such as Task Manager's Processes and Details tabs (via More Details) or Resource Monitor or better, Process Explorer (procexp).  For example, even while in the NoHome state ProcExp shows me a 64-bit task running with another 32-bit bit task opened under it.  

For the best diagnostics I would run ProcMon.  One user who did such additional diagnosis discovered that they had tried to move the Program Files directories to a different volume and this is the sort of unhelpful error indication that apparently you would get if you did that.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Sunday, October 28, 2012 6:47 PM

All replies

• When I manually try to run the program, it says iexplorer.exe is missing.

Check Windows Features.   (Turn Windows Features on or off)   Sounds like  Internet Explorer 10  will be unchecked.  

So, is something else your default browser?   I suspect another way to make it switch would be to uninstall that.   E.g. presumably the OS would try to find an installed browser then to set as the default?   <eg>

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:31 AM
  • I have the same problem! Its just missing! I checked and it was selected to be a feature in windows, so I unchecked it, rebooted computer, rechecked it, rebooted computer, and still nothing! iexplorer.exe is missing, what can we do???
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 4:01 PM
  • I unchecked it, rebooted computer

Was there another browser found then to be your default?   Did you try uninstalling it?

BTW it is  iexplore.exe  that you should be looking for and if your OS is 64-bit you would need to find two of them, one in  %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\  and one in  "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Internet Explorer\.   However, you should be able to launch it simply by using Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter:)

iexplore.exe  -nohome  -extoff

And if that causes problem symptoms you can get more detailed clues about them by using tools such as Task Manager's Processes and Details tabs (via More Details) or Resource Monitor or better, Process Explorer (procexp).  For example, even while in the NoHome state ProcExp shows me a 64-bit task running with another 32-bit bit task opened under it.  

For the best diagnostics I would run ProcMon.  One user who did such additional diagnosis discovered that they had tried to move the Program Files directories to a different volume and this is the sort of unhelpful error indication that apparently you would get if you did that.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Sunday, October 28, 2012 6:47 PM