none
Why am I locked out of my own folders?

Question

• When I open Windows Explorer a lot of my left side folders have either a tiny shortcut arrow on them or a tiny gold lock icon.  If I click on them to open I receive a message saying

"Data is not accessible"  "Access is denied" .  These are not special folders.  For example the "Documents and settings" and even the "Recycle bin" folder has a tiny gold lock icon on
    it.  This is a home computer and I am the only one using it.  I'm sure I set myself up as the admin. so why are my folders locked.  I tried right clicking on the folder and changing

the security settings.  Windows says its changing something but then it just hangs there and freezes up.  I don't want any of my folders locked.  Is there a setting for this?
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 6:57 AM

Answers

• Twerq,

Unfortunately, the common consensus seems to be that you may, and in this instance, you seem to have to. I'd set up a similar installation earlier this week, and Windows 7 seemed to give and take from Windows XP just fine, but I've read many testimonies of this not being the case. Try changing your XP permissions, and see if that changes anything.

Alternately, you may have some luck with this tutorial on taking ownership of files from Windows 7.
    -Alex
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 2:19 PM

All replies

• Twerq,

You mention the "Documents and Settings" folder, which has been eschewed in Windows Vista and Windows 7 in favor of a "Users" folder - are you talking about accessing an older version of Windows on a different partition? If so, you'll have to make sure that you've configured generous enough sharing settings under that installation of Windows.
    -Alex
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 2:16 PM
  • Most of those "Folders" are not folders but junctions used to allow lagacy programs to interface with Windows 7 (and Vista's) new folder structure.
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 4:10 PM
  • ""are you talking about accessing an older version of Windows on a different partition? If so, you'll have to make sure that you've configured generous enough sharing settings under that installation of Windows.""

Your right, I do have an 80GB drive partioned in half with XP PRO on one half and WIN7 on the other half.  Are you saying I need to fully modify the XP security settings in order to access them from WIN7 ?
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 5:30 AM
  • Twerq,

Unfortunately, the common consensus seems to be that you may, and in this instance, you seem to have to. I'd set up a similar installation earlier this week, and Windows 7 seemed to give and take from Windows XP just fine, but I've read many testimonies of this not being the case. Try changing your XP permissions, and see if that changes anything.

Alternately, you may have some luck with this tutorial on taking ownership of files from Windows 7.
    -Alex
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 2:19 PM
  • Those are not REAL folders (with the short cut arrow).
    They are meant to help XP apps work with W7.
    So they are not accessible for that reason.
    Which is dumb... why can't they put you where you want to go like a real shortcut?
    You can access the data you are searching for by drilling down thru USERS folder.
    Of course, for us XP die hards, this alone is a hard transition. I'm still trying after 2 months.

The ones with locks are accessible if you are the correct user for the particular folder.

Of course if you are trying to access them via XP, none are accessible.

Sunday, June 21, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Thank You for the tutorial site 'axfelix' I will give it a tryout.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 6:07 AM
  • The tutorial did not work for me.  I don't have time for this nonsense, I do a lot of work with folders and Windows Explorer.  IMHO the default setting in win7 should be no folder 

security with the option to add security if you so desire.  I am going back to XP until some other solution comes along.  Maybe someone will come up with a "tweaking patch".
    • Proposed as answer by Orangeneck Saturday, July 11, 2009 2:28 AM
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:51 AM
  • The Everyone group has a Deny permission on the folders you can not open.
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 2:31 AM
  • If you want access to D:\Documents and Settings from Windows 7:
    1. Load XP
    2. Give either Everyone, Users, or Administrators full access to C:\Documents and Settings.
    3. Boot Windows 7
    4. Give whoever you want access to the folder, remove anything you don't need. I would not encourage setting allowing Everyone, Users, or Administrators if you are in an environment where others are around and you want privacy.

I'm not sure about XP but on NT6+ perminssions are tied to UserIDs and not usernames.

If you want access to C:\Documents and Settings within Windows 7:
    Give up and use C:\Users.

And, yes, make sure there you aren't denied access as that will take precidence over allow.

Saturday, July 11, 2009 9:57 AM