none
How to migrate roaming profile from XP to Win 7

Question

• Hi,

Is there an easy way to migrate the roaming XP profiles to the Windows 7 format?
    I have tried the easy transfer tool, but then you can do 1 profile at the time.

We have roaming profiles, so all profiles are on a central location. Now I need a tool to convert this profiles to Windows 7 profiles, without the need to logon to each workstation separately.

Regards
    Panjo
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:22 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi. we start WINDOWS 7 project at our main office
    we have a lot of roming profile. for most of the users
    could u please explain about the easy transfer tool?
    so we could start ?

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:35 PM
  • Yogevtz, the easy transfer tool won't do you any good.  Panjo, roaming profiles for XP are on the server, which are in a v1 format, when a user logs into a Windows 7 machine it creates a v2 format for that account. I've got some reading materials for you. One key point is a GPO with folder redirection.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/how-to-migrate-roaming-user-profiles-to-windows-vista-and-windows-server-2008/

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproui/thread/6a7941b8-f459-4b10-b75b-1f758c1c751a you'll need to read this in depth to get the key points.

http://4sysops.com/archives/windows-vista-and-windows-xp-roaming-user-profiles-interoperability-folder-redirection-is-the-only-way/

and what one person discovered

Hi everyone,

I have a user ive just loaded a new laptop up for, he was on Windows xp and sometimes uses a windows xp desktop.

We use roaming profiles here and with the xp computers this works fine however having logged onto the Windows 7 laptop as his account its created him a new one but in a folder called username.v2

From my reading this is to do with the differnces betwen the two formats of profile not being able to work together,

what id like to work out is, can i somehow get the windows xp computer only to use another folder for his desktop (eg the folder from the Windows 7 profile)?

He has a habbit of saving some stuff on his desktop instead of his (available offline) my docs folder which by the way works fine. At the moment anything saved on either desktop will not go to the other, maybe now is a good time to force him to change his ways. As far as shortcuts go, maybe a login script could compare each set of .lnk files on each desktop and copy over whats differnt.

What are your thoughts on this. (hope it all made sense)

thanks

Managed to solve the problem in the end with a bit of lateral thinking, i changed the users policy to redirect his desktop to a folder on the server and then make that available offline when the laptop is out of the office. now both profiles have the same desktop

MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:07 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks, a lot of reading, but it is still not clear for me.
    I am looking for a tool which converts the profiles on the server to the V2 format, without the need to log on to each user computer. In fact there is no need to synchronize the old and the new profile afterwards. A 1 time conversion is enough.
    In fact I don't want to use the folder redirection option, then I will need this forever, while it should be solved no during the roll-out of windows 7.

Any idea which tool to use?
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:40 PM
  • Try The User State Migraton Tool.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:48 AM
  • Sorry to drag up this old thread again but i have the same question but USMT is not the answer I need.

I have an environment of user who have roaming profiles under Windows XP. I can use folder redirection to move such things as the dektop to a single location, however it is the other user associated files that I would like to migrate.

Files such as custom dictionaries, Outlook recently used address file (NK2 file), Signatures etc...

These are all in the roaming pofile and located on the network share. Is there no tool to be able to bulk upgrade the XP roaming profile to a v2 version?
    Couldn't this be scripted?

USMT is not the best solution as USMT loads the profiles to the local machine but when a user with roaming profiles logs on it will copy the roaming data off the network and over the top of any local cached copy of the profile. if the user does not have a v2 roaming profile then they will get the Default Roaming Profile, removing any data that was moved with USMT.

I am sure other people have come up against this. What solutions did people use?

Brett Moffett
    Monday, July 26, 2010 11:46 PM
  • @Moff25

I am in a similar situation.  Did you ever find an answer to migrating the roaming profile user data to windows 7 roaming profile?

USMT just does not work for me. I do not have the time/resources to read the 300+ pages on this, so it is most likely my error.

There has got to be a better way. Doing a one time upgrade for an office of under 30.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:18 PM
  • Yes, I am looking to for a way to convert roaming xp profile to a w7 profile at an easy way.

Does any one know a simple tool to  convert the xp profile to a v2 profile at the server share without an intervention at any pc.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:29 PM
  • Does anyone have an answer on this yet?  Is there a way to convert XP roaming profiles on a network location to Windows 7 profiles??
    Friday, October 19, 2012 8:14 AM
  • There is no way to "convert" the profile from V1 to V2.  The best way to migrate the profile is to evaluate actual profile management tools and decide which one is best for you.  there are several items to consider from cursors, printer mappings, personal settings, application settings outside the profile structure, etc.  The two best profile management tools are created by AppSense and Liquidware labs.  AppSense is a profile "virtualization" tool which gives a robust feature rich application suite.  If this gives too much for your budget or learning curve, go with Liquidware Labs Profile Unity. PU is also a feature rich utility, but requires no infrastructure, and won't break the bank.  Using Profile Unity you can literally setup two configuration files and have the users migrated from Windows XP to Windows 7 with very little effort.  Now I do not recommend this fast "grab and go" methodology, it will do what you want quickly and easily. 

Proper profile management does require a third party tool set.  If you have Microsoft Software Assurance (MDOP) and only care about settings inside the profile (not data files), then User Experience Virtualization is for you.  

I'd still recommend http://www.liquidwarelabs.com/products/profileunity.asp 

Thursday, July 04, 2013 8:13 PM