none
How to change the default logon screen for Windows 8 Pro

Question

• Can someone tell me how to change the default logon screen background in Windows 8 Pro?  I want to change the goofy animated picture of Seattle.  I know how to change the lock screen for a specific user, but how can I change the default logon background?  I remember in windows 7 you could do some modifying to the default background files in the oobe directory.  and make a registry change but I can't remember it exactly.  Instructions on how to do this in Windows 8 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate

Thursday, January 03, 2013 7:54 PM

Answers

• Check this:

Win8: How to Manage the Lock Screen Image on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2787100/en-us

The update “Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 cumulative update: November 2012” adds functionality to the Control Panel group polices that allow an administrator to designate a lock screen image on their Windows 8 and Windows 2012 computers. This setting lets you specify the default lock screen image shown when no user is signed in, and also sets the specified images as the default for all users (it replaces the inbox default image).

The new group policy is named “Force a specific default lock screen image” and can be found in this path in the group policy editor: “Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization”

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, January 03, 2013 8:06 PM

All replies

• Check this:

The update “Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 cumulative update: November 2012” adds functionality to the Control Panel group polices that allow an administrator to designate a lock screen image on their Windows 8 and Windows 2012 computers. This setting lets you specify the default lock screen image shown when no user is signed in, and also sets the specified images as the default for all users (it replaces the inbox default image).

The new group policy is named “Force a specific default lock screen image” and can be found in this path in the group policy editor: “Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization”

Thursday, January 03, 2013 8:06 PM
  • In case you were looking for the answer for just one PC, and not an enterprise like what Andre suggested, you can go to the PC Settings from the Start Screen and then hit Personalize and then finally the Lock Screen tab to change the picture.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Thursday, January 03, 2013 11:38 PM
  • Check this:

Thanks Andre,

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.  I'm going to give this a try tomorrow morning.

Nate

Friday, January 04, 2013 2:29 PM
  • Thanks Andre,

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.  I'm going to give this a try tomorrow morning.

Nate

Well I just got a chance to try this out this afternoon.  I have the cumulative update on both my Windows 8 machine and my 2012 Server and it works great! 

Thanks again Andre!

Nate

Friday, January 04, 2013 6:53 PM
  • Glad to hear your feedback.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 07, 2013 6:46 AM