none
Windows explorer stopped working when trying to open a specific folder...and solution

Question

• I have had a problem with a specific folder or two on my computer, when I open the folder I get the error message that windows explorer has stopped working.  It only happens with specific folders and everything else works fine. 

I did a lot of reading to figure out a fix.

I finally tried right clicking the program explorer.exe located in C:Windows and chose "run as administrator" and this fixed the problem.

Note that the error message details list an application crash of windows.exe

I thought I would post this to help others.  I don't know if this is the same problem some folks describe with a continual loop of the error message, problems opening the control panel or problems upon start up.  But if you have a similar problem to the one I described try this very simple fix. 

Cheers
    Friday, June 05, 2009 3:15 AM

All replies

• I don't know what OS you are running, but under Windows 7 RC build 7100 the selection was ghosted to "run as administrator".

I was able to stop the problem from happening by right clicking the folder I was having problems with, selecting properties>customize tab and changing the "Optimize this folder for:" from Videos to General Items.

I know that this particular folder was optimized for general items from the beginning as I had just folders inside which were filled with videos. When I started to move videos into this parent folder to separate them later, this parent folder switched by itself to being optimized for Videos. I'm not positive but I think that this was the time I started to have a problem with this folder until I did what I described above.

This is my very first post, so I hope I explained things well enough to be of help to someone.

Thanks

Sunday, October 18, 2009 1:36 PM
  • Hi there,

The way i resolved this problem was to start my computer in SAFE MODE then i was able to open the folder i was previously unable to access. I could then permanently delete the corrupt file (This file may not necessarily show up on a anti-virus scan) and once you Restart you system you should be able to open the affected folder in normal mode again.

Hope this helps!

• Proposed as answer by rola747 Sunday, November 06, 2011 10:31 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by rola747 Sunday, November 06, 2011 10:31 PM
    • Proposed as answer by redlush Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:31 AM
    Thursday, February 03, 2011 8:34 PM
  • Hi there,

The way i resolved this problem was to start my computer in SAFE MODE then i was able to open the folder i was previously unable to access. I could then permanently delete the corrupt file (This file may not necessarily show up on a anti-virus scan) and once you Restart you system you should be able to open the affected folder in normal mode again.

Hope this helps!

I have the same problem

how can I identify the corrupt file if it doesn't show up on an Anti-Virus scan (I went to safe mode and run a full scan but nothing showed up)?

Friday, February 18, 2011 8:35 AM
  • Hi

I was having the same problem but the cause was different.In my case i was not able to access folder even in safe mode.I resolved it by going through event viewer

(type eventvwr in search--go to the windows log>application tab)

There was a application which was stoping the explorer whenever I opened the folder as I deleted that application  I could access the folder.

hope it can help others

Sunday, November 06, 2011 10:37 PM
  • problem solved. Thank you!
    Saturday, February 04, 2012 2:57 AM
  • @ceefoo

i tried ur answer and opened it on safe mode and deleted some of the file! it tottaly worked! Thanks :)

Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:31 AM
  • I don't know what OS you are running, but under Windows 7 RC build 7100 the selection was ghosted to "run as administrator".

I was able to stop the problem from happening by right clicking the folder I was having problems with, selecting properties>customize tab and changing the "Optimize this folder for:" from Videos to General Items.

I know that this particular folder was optimized for general items from the beginning as I had just folders inside which were filled with videos. When I started to move videos into this parent folder to separate them later, this parent folder switched by itself to being optimized for Videos. I'm not positive but I think that this was the time I started to have a problem with this folder until I did what I described above.

This is my very first post, so I hope I explained things well enough to be of help to someone.

Thanks

That's fixed my problem.  Stopped responding every time I opened My Videos, changed the file properties to optimized for general and now the icons aren't thumbnail big but it doesn't crash now...  Thank you, it was really starting to bug me.
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 8:25 PM
  • Anyone with OEM Windows 7 ASUS laptops, here is a solution for you:

http://aftershock-freak.blogspot.hu/2012/01/exporer-crash-in-windows-7-oem-asus.html

It worked out for me nicely, just follow the instructions carefully! 

Good luck! :D

Sunday, March 09, 2014 11:56 PM