none
Explorer very slow while browsing a mapped network drive

Question

• Hi all,

I read an older post (no solution), where people experienced problems with the explorer listing the contents of a folder on the network very slow.

I had the same problem.

I tried to open a folder with about 1500 subfolders and 200 files inside. The explorer showed me the content in the tree view in about 2 seconds, but in the details view it took up to 1 minute to get all folders listed. The whole time the explorer showed the green searching bar and listed one folder after the other, but very slow. Explorer added about 10-20 files per second to the list.

Does anyone know, why the explorer is so slow in listing these files and what the ____ does he do all the time? Does explorer look inside every folder? Or does he some analysis with my files?

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 7:12 PM

Answers

• Haha,

I just stumbled upon the solution!! Jeah :-D

You have to disable the grouping!

Right Click in the Explorer Details View --> Select Grouping --> Disable

After that my explorer listed all files immediately!
    • Marked as answer by alexfiftyfour Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:03 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:03 PM

All replies

• Haha,

I just stumbled upon the solution!! Jeah :-D

You have to disable the grouping!

Right Click in the Explorer Details View --> Select Grouping --> Disable

After that my explorer listed all files immediately!
    • Marked as answer by alexfiftyfour Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:03 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:03 PM
  • Hi Alexfiftyfour,

I am having the same problem - very slow browsing of mapped drives from a new Win7 PC to a XP PC that holds the files. Slow green bar travelling across and after minutes of waiting I can finally gain access to my files. The problem is not the waiting but the applications that look to the data from the mapped drive all 'time out' and become totally unresponsive, as they cannot access the data in the mapped folder in time to allow them to function correctly (I guess). All other XP PC's on the LAN (peer to peer) can access the mapped shares instantly.

Did you find an answer?

Cheers, Paul  

Thursday, July 01, 2010 5:40 AM
  • I tried this, it was already off and it makes absolutly no difference if I turn it on or off, my networkbrowsing is just as slow either way. :(

Monday, December 31, 2012 12:46 AM
  • Hello karlallan,

we have the same problem. Mapping a network drive slows down the navigation in the explorer.

We have Windows 7 PC's and try to connect to different windows server shares.

Network traffic is increasing and CPU is also very busy.

The problem doesn't occur when connecting to a storage or nas system which is not a windows system!

Regards,

Daniel

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:12 AM