none
Time restriction on Administrator Account

Question

• I admit to being technically challenged but this really tops it! I made an administrator account and set time limits to my son's account. Unfortunately I also set program/application access limits (or whatever you want to call it) too. Now the admin (me) needs to provide a password to access some programs. Somehow I must have set time limits on the administrator account too because I am unable to log in as admin...ever! I get the "your account has time restrictions that prevent you from logging in at this time. Please try again later." message. Thing is, I've tried to log in at all hours of the day and night, literally all hours and can't. Since this time restriction thing began I am unable to type the admin password to allow access to programs and allow updates when prompted. Any suggestions? I really need to access the admin account! 

Thanks,
    Trinity

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Trinity,

Please check if the following article is helpful.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms849353.aspx

Meanwhile, I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Your patience is appreciated.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 9:09 AM
  • Hi Niki,

I checked out the link you suggested. Although I would normally find it useful, my situation is a little different as my account IS the admin account. What I think I did was highlighted all the time boxes thinking I was giving myself access to my account 24/7, not realizing that I was acutally picking hours that I could not access the account. I have literally tried logging on every hour of the day and night. I look forward to reading any further assisstance may turn up. My last resort is to reinstall the OS but I'm not sure if that would work. Isn't there a back way in to alter the account, like during start up when you hit F8 or whatever key to access safe mode and diagnositics?

Friday, September 23, 2011 7:47 PM
  • Hi Trinity,

Please check the link as below:

http://windows.about.com/od/securityprivacy/ss/PrntlCtrl_4.htm

Left-clicking on "Time control" brings you here, which allows control over the hours your child is allowed to use the computer. For example, you may not want he or she to use the computer when you're asleep.

The grid is intially blank, with no hours blocked. To pick certain hours, you can click each block individually, which turns them blue. To select multiple hours, left-click in a block, hold down the mouse button, and drag in any direction. In this example, I've blocked out the hours between 11 p.m. - 8 a.m. every day of the week. If your child attempts to log on to the computer during those hours, he or she will be blocked instead.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Kevin Ni

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Kevin Ni-MSFT Wednesday, October 05, 2011 7:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Wednesday, October 05, 2011 8:19 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Trinity0705 Wednesday, October 05, 2011 7:15 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Trinity0705 Friday, October 07, 2011 1:31 AM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:25 AM
  • Ok, I believe my problem is being misinterpreted. I know how to apply time restriction to user accounts. I've done this to my son's account and it works great. What I believe happened, I picked all of the blocks for time restriction on the ADMIN account thinking I was giving myself 24 hour access when in reality I denied myself access at all hours! How do I know this? I've attempted to access the ADMIN account at least once every hour in the day/night (stayed up all night and tried to log on every 30 minutes and was not able to).

So my problem is finding a way to access the ADMIN account because I've accidentally placed 24 hour time restriction on the ADMIN account. User accounts are fine -- don't need for help with them, just the ADMIN acct...I can't access the ADMINISTRATOR account at any time of the day or night because of time restrictions in place (I selected EVERY time block) for the admin account! Hopefully this clarifies my problem.

Thanks again!

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 7:26 PM
  • Hi Niki and Kevin,

I'm having the exact same issue that Trinity is experiencing (time restrictions preventing ADMIN user from logging on)...do you have a solution for this, besides completely re-installing Windows?

Thanks, Matt

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:18 PM
  • Sorry for bringing this old thread up again, but I have the same problems as Trinity.

I set up time restrictions for my son's account using my admin account, and somehow managed to lock out the admin account completely!

I get the same message "your account has time restrictions that prevent you from logging in at this time. Please try again later", and cannot log in, irrespective of the hour.

I believe it has something to do with me creating the admin account using my son's account (which was the admin account before that) and turning his account into an ordinary user account with time restrictions, without logging out either account.

I am however unable to log in to my admin account, and we cannot install programs or change settings anymore.

I would be very grateful for help with this problem. My son's birthday is coming up and he is desperate to get some new games on his comp...

Thanks in advance!

Monday, November 26, 2012 3:29 PM
  • Hi,

can you describe how you set the time limits?

Monday, November 26, 2012 7:55 PM