none
Windows 7 SP1 update and bold fonts

    Question

  • I have automatically installed the Windows 7 SP1 update and at the same time updated firefox and internet explorer.  Since doing so, a lot of fonts on my web browser are bold, with no "un-bold".  Wikipedia and twitter, for example, are all bold.  I have tried many things to fix the problem, but none have worked.  Is this a known problem?  Are there any solutions you can recommend?

     

    Many thanks

    Monday, May 16, 2011 2:38 PM

Answers

  • Hi,

     

    According to your description, that’s a possible that some hardware or programs didn’t  compatible with Windows 7 Sp1.

     

    I suggest to login with Safe Mode with networking to see if the same issue occurs. Also check the hardware are compatible with Windows 7. You can check it on Windows 7 Compatibility Center. Update all drivers and BIOS to the latest version for test.

     

    If the issue persists on Safe Mode,  remove SP1 package, then perform an in-place upgrade

     

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

     

    And install SP1 package again.

     

    Hope that helps.

     

     

     

    Regards,

    Leo   Huang

     

     


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 23, 2011 1:36 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

     

    What version of IE did you use? Did this issue occur with all websites?

     

    Please login with Clean Boot, check the fonts is set correctly:

    IE\Tools\Internet options\General\Fonts

     

    Also try to restore IE advanced settings, and reset IE settings for test.

     

     

     

    Regards,

    Leo   Huang

     

     


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 3:25 AM
  • Thank you for your reply, Leo.

     

    I am not sure what version I was using, I never checked before the automatic update.  The issue does not happen with all websites, but I suspect it has to do with a specific font.  The main text in wikipedia, gmail and twitter are all bold, for example.  The problem is not with IE alone, it also happens with firefox.  Both browsers were updated at the same time, so I don't know from which the problem originated.

     

    I tried the clean boot and followed all of those steps.  The font problem (bold) was still happening even when non-Microsoft services were all disabled.  I am reluctant to disable all Microsoft services too because I'm not an expert user and I rely on my laptop working for me.  It might be unrelated, but since doing the clean boot my mouse pad scroll function no longer works.  Yet another irritating little problem!

     

    I tried resetting the IE settings.  Still no success.

     

    I am not sure if it helps, but after the SP1 update my screen behaved differently when an external projected was connected.  Before the update the screen resolution would change and have black bars at the sides (maintaining the aspect ratio).  Now if a projected is connected the laptop screen appears stretched.  Yet another irritating little problem.

     

    All of these problems seem to have started when the SP1 update was automatically installed.

     

    You have been very helpful so far :) could you suggest what further tests I could do?

     

    Many thanks

    Friday, May 20, 2011 11:35 AM
  • Hi,

     

    According to your description, that’s a possible that some hardware or programs didn’t  compatible with Windows 7 Sp1.

     

    I suggest to login with Safe Mode with networking to see if the same issue occurs. Also check the hardware are compatible with Windows 7. You can check it on Windows 7 Compatibility Center. Update all drivers and BIOS to the latest version for test.

     

    If the issue persists on Safe Mode,  remove SP1 package, then perform an in-place upgrade

     

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

     

    And install SP1 package again.

     

    Hope that helps.

     

     

     

    Regards,

    Leo   Huang

     

     


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 23, 2011 1:36 AM