none
Audio not working in Windows 8.1

Question

• Hello, I recently upgraded to Windows 8.1 and I found out, that the sound is not working. When I booted up the first time, there was just some generic driver, which kept telling me, that my headphones are not connected. 
    On my PC, the audio out is somehow broken, so usually, when the sound is working I'm hearing some kind of cracking. It is silent, so I don't care about it and I'm used to it, but with the generic driver, I didn't hear this cracking.
    So I installed Realtek HD Audio drivers and now I'm hearing this cracking again, but the sound is still not working.

Does anybody know if there is a way to fix it? Thanks.

EDIT: Now I finished installation of upgrading from 8.1 Preview to 8.1 on my notebook and the jack is not working again, although it worked in Preview (by the way integrated speakers are working). And no, it is not a problem of those headphones, they are working just fine in my primary OS - Linux.
    • Edited by JanPolasek Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:35 PM new information added.
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Please keep the Audio driver to the latest update, or uninstall the installed audio driver, reboot your computer, and let the system reinstall the driver automatically.

And try troubleshooter of “Hardware and Sound”, collect the diagnostic report.

Please also check the compatibility of the headphone with  win8.1.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home?Language=en-IN

Regards,

Yolanda

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:03 AM
  • When I uninstall realtek drivers (and let system install it automatically), the system tells me, that my headphones (which I'm 100% sure that are compatible - they are just regular headphones, in-year without handsfree or any buttons, nothing that could be incompatible) are unplugged, although they are plugged in. In sound menu, I see three list items - Speakers (not plugged in, rear audio-out jack), Headphones (system shows as not plugged in, front audio-out jack) and Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (marked as default device). 

Hardware and sound troubleshooter is useless for me, becuse it requires headphones to be plugged in (but the system cannot detect them, so the troubleshooter won't proceed)

Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:01 PM
  • Hi,

What is the result in safemode?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

From your description, it also seems that the onboard audio might be disabled in the BIOS, which will show the speaker and headphone not plugged in.

Please restart the computer and enter the BIOS setup (generally by pressing the F10 or F2 function keys at the very beginning of the boot process, you can refer to the user’s manual for detailed information). In the BIOS setup, find the section for integrated devices and enable the integrated audio (onboard audio). Restart the computer, test again.

Regards,

Yolanda

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, October 25, 2013 6:55 AM
  • I'm having the same issue after the update.  I've been running Win 8 for a long time with no sound issues.  Now, after my computer has been running for a bit, my sound magically stops working.

My speakers quit working, a bluetooth headset quits working.  The microphone on my webcam quits working.

When I try to adjust my volume or play a wave file I get all kinds of weird behavior.  A restart temporarily resolves the problem. 

Monday, November 11, 2013 9:37 PM
  • I've been having the same issue after upgrading to Windows 8.1. My computer has an embedded speaker. After the upgrade, no sound comes out. When I use an external speaker, nothing is functioning; I've used that external speaker before the upgrade and it used to work well.
    Wednesday, December 04, 2013 9:00 AM
  • GET DRIVER FROM REALTEK windows update may not get it at all

REALTEK HD Audio "speakers not connected" fixed by latest realtek driver R2.73 released 11 NOV 2013

available here with article http://pcsupport.about.com/b/2013/11/20/realtek-hd-audio-driver-windows-7-vista-xp.htm

or from realtek

http://218.210.127.131/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

on my machine fixes rear audio but front audio jack disappears

perhaps newer versions may work completely

Friday, December 06, 2013 6:28 AM
  • I have a DAW using an M-Audio Delta 66 and an Omni IO with Fostex near-field reference monitors - in other words a decent sound system. Since 8.1 the sound works fine in Q-base , Reason, Pro Tools and Amplitube, but plain old windows sound is fubared. You Tube = no sound. Plug my guitar in and run Amplitube = sound....so WTF?

Not to be a hater but really guys?

Do I need to just stick with my Mac?

Thursday, January 30, 2014 9:41 AM
  • i got rampage 2 extreme mobo, and since i did a fresh install of windows 8.1 i had the same problem( i had win8.1 before and i didnt had any problems with the sound) . speakers are not plugged in. bios says my sound is enable. i did installed 2.73 realtek but nothing happens, when i  uninstall the drivers windows find default drivers immediately.

what else should i do?any idea?

Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:24 AM
  • I have the same problem.  I have an ASUS P8H77-M that is supposed to be Windows 8 compatible.  It worked fine for almost 1 year  untill I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and now the sound will no longer work. I have installed all of the latest BIOS versions and chipset drivers and upgraded the RealTek audio driver to the latest Windows 8.1 version r2.73 version.

I tried new speakers and headphones

I removed the drivers and re-installed the latest in Safe Mode.

I removed the Bios battery and rest the BIOS (according to ASUS support)

I booted Windows 8.1 with the ignore driver signatures option to make sure it wasnt an unsigned driver.

Does anyone have a soution ?

Monday, February 10, 2014 4:32 PM
  • I have a gateway laptop P6831FX with IDT/sigmatel audio. I always loose audio after returning from sleep mode. I have to shut down or restart to get audio back. And sometimes restarting the computer does not work and I have to restart twice. I cannot find any updated drivers. This worked fine until I "upgraded" to Windows 8/8.1. How could something as basic as Audio not work? This is very frustrating. I have spent hours trying stuff from Microsoft forums and other forums. Nothing fixes this. Also had to tell power management not to put wifi in sleep mode as wifi would not come back after returning from sleep mode either. HELP.

The only drivers from the Gateway support site are from 2010 and are for Vista. I have tried installing those drivers but I get an error.

• Edited by vvvvvvv Sunday, February 16, 2014 12:30 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Pam Bitchen Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:46 PM
    Sunday, February 16, 2014 12:20 AM
  • Good God I finally got speakers working again after upgrading to Windows 8.1!!!  I went into control panel, chose Personalization then clicked the speaker section and chose another set of audio options then tested it.  Much to my dismay it worked perfectly!!! Go figure..... Another day at the office but now with tunes...
    • Proposed as answer by Pam Bitchen Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:46 PM
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:46 PM
  • Shocking how well this solution works and for no apparent reason!
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:02 PM
  • where is personalization on 8.1? When I enter it in run, get an error that reads group not in correct state to per form requested operation
    Monday, July 07, 2014 12:16 PM
  • Looks like my drivers have defaulted to win7 & vista, &supposed to be running on 8.1, the updates dont do anything, should I deleta all of them, reboot, & let 8 automanically install the updates?
    Monday, July 07, 2014 6:24 PM