none
Windows explorer does not refresh files automatically.

Question

• When I rename/delete/move files sometimes they remain in their old state/name until I press F5 (refresh)

In the past I have used windows 7 Ultimate and Home premium and have never encountered such an issue before. I think maybe the issue may be specific to my edition of windows (Professional x64). Even after a clean install and after all updates I receive this problem with windows.

In other forum posts I see some people blame libraries and network location as a cause to this issue. This issue randomly comes and goes for me and it happens when  I am not using libraries or network locations. I have seen this issue take place on the desktop, libraries section and the recycling bin.

Other topics suggest that changing some key's value in the registry called Dontrefresh will fix this issue but that key does not even exist in my registry.

All "fixes" that have been mentioned does not work for me. The issue will also happen to me in a clean boot state and I've already verified the integrity of my Windows files. At this point it is time for Microsoft to act and to release a hotfix for this issue.

Here is a video of the issue occuring then going away half way through the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSuYa8IhK7g

• Edited by BP13 Saturday, March 17, 2012 3:33 PM
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 3:27 PM

Answers

• No one yet has been able to pinpoint a direct "cause and effect" relationship, but the timing of file operations seems to affect it.  Basically, if certain unspecified things behind the scenes seem to take too long, the display is not refreshed.  Thus, having networking enabled on your system could be slowing things down.

Nor do any "quick fixes" work.

The "Open in separate process" tweak helps in some cases where the problem is seen to grow worse over time (which may not be what you're seeing) - because you're starting a fresh copy of Explorer each time you open an Explorer window, it restarts that time period.

Only doing things a little differently and following good practices are seen to reduce the occurrence of this failure.

Did you try working only in real hard drive folders under the Computer root namespace instead of working in Libraries?  That has been seen to make a difference.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBook:  
    In development:

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 3:50 PM
  • I know that using real folders makes the issue not occur but I wish for a fix and not a workaround.

Anyways I don't know if this will stick but I switched from using the "Add network folder wizard" option to using  a mapped network drive instead and the issue has not happened since. Not sure if it will stick but I have not seen it since so maybe that fixed it. I will keep testing for the next few days to see if the problem occurs anymore.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 7:22 PM

All replies

• bump
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 11:32 PM
  •  

Hi,

Did you install Windows 7 SP1 package?

Please logon with Safe Mode to check if the same issue occurs.

Or you can try to create another user account and login to check the result.

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 19, 2012 2:38 AM
  • It is a WELL KNOWN problem.

Avoid the use of libraries and the Desktop, and always work under the Computer namespace in a real hard drive folder and the problem will be minimized.

It is also helpful to configure Folder Options to Open New Explorer Windows in a Separate Process.

I'm not saying that what you're trying to do is wrong - it SHOULD work - I'm just offering a workaround.

-Noel

In development:

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:29 PM
  • Yes I do have SP1 and all other updates installed.

It seems like a large hassle to create an entire new account to fix this issue. I will check around in safe mode if the issue occurs but it is hard to tell because like I said the issue randomly comes and goes.

EDIT: I just tried Safemode and could not reproduce the issue. I then tried Safemode with networking and was able to reproduce the issue. I believe that this issue may have something to do with networking.
    • Edited by BP13 Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:35 PM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:20 PM
  • I will try to see if the separate process workaround works. I will get back to this post in a few days and let you know if I see the problem again in the next few days.

EDIT: did not help but see my above post.
    • Edited by BP13 Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:35 PM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:21 PM
  • No one yet has been able to pinpoint a direct "cause and effect" relationship, but the timing of file operations seems to affect it.  Basically, if certain unspecified things behind the scenes seem to take too long, the display is not refreshed.  Thus, having networking enabled on your system could be slowing things down.

Nor do any "quick fixes" work.

The "Open in separate process" tweak helps in some cases where the problem is seen to grow worse over time (which may not be what you're seeing) - because you're starting a fresh copy of Explorer each time you open an Explorer window, it restarts that time period.

Only doing things a little differently and following good practices are seen to reduce the occurrence of this failure.

Did you try working only in real hard drive folders under the Computer root namespace instead of working in Libraries?  That has been seen to make a difference.

-Noel

In development:

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 3:50 PM
  • I know that using real folders makes the issue not occur but I wish for a fix and not a workaround.

Anyways I don't know if this will stick but I switched from using the "Add network folder wizard" option to using  a mapped network drive instead and the issue has not happened since. Not sure if it will stick but I have not seen it since so maybe that fixed it. I will keep testing for the next few days to see if the problem occurs anymore.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 7:22 PM
  • Yeah I think that fixed the problem or at least greatly reduced it because I have not seen it in days and usually, I saw it every time using windows.
    Monday, March 26, 2012 12:56 AM
  • I just did a fresh install of Win7 Enterprise SP1 x64 on to an SSD and noticed this was happening as I went through my usual houskeeping routine. I also noticed Explorer immediately started auto-refreshing after de-selecting "Use Sharing Wizard" in Folder View Options.

Hope this helps...

• Edited by nexus7 Thursday, July 05, 2012 4:07 AM
    Thursday, July 05, 2012 4:03 AM