none
How to setup RAID 1+0 in Windows 7

Question

• I have four Wester Digital 500gb hard drives that I want to set up in a RAID 10 configuration of 1+0, and the OS I am using is Windows 7 pro. I would like to know how to set them up.
    Sunday, June 06, 2010 8:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I have RAID 0 installed on my Windows 7 system. I would like to share you my experience below.

You need to setup and configure RAID before installing Windows 7. You may refer to the motherboard instruction for how to add hard disks to RAID before starting operating system by clicking the key combination.

After configuring the RAID, you can install Windows 7. During the Windows 7 installation, Windows 7 will install the built-in RAID driver. If the built-in RAID driver is incompatible, Windows 7 installation will not recognize the RAID configuration. If this is the case, you will need to install the RAID driver via external hard drive. The other installation steps are the same as normal Windows 7 installation.

Some manufacturers provide the RAID configuration software which can be installed after installing Windows 7.

For more information about How to setup RAID system, you may refer to the following link:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/How-to-Setup-a-RAID-System/393/1

Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 1:51 AM

All replies

• Do you have hardware support for raid? If yes, then you can use the bios to setup the raid or possibly a utility from the manufacturer of the raid hardware that runs in Windows.

If you want to do software raid, you use disk manager.

Sunday, June 06, 2010 11:55 AM
  • Yes, the motherboard supports raid and the bios setup has been done, but after installing the raid driver what has to be done in Windows 7 to configure raid 10.
    Monday, June 07, 2010 4:07 AM
  • Hi,

I have RAID 0 installed on my Windows 7 system. I would like to share you my experience below.

You need to setup and configure RAID before installing Windows 7. You may refer to the motherboard instruction for how to add hard disks to RAID before starting operating system by clicking the key combination.

After configuring the RAID, you can install Windows 7. During the Windows 7 installation, Windows 7 will install the built-in RAID driver. If the built-in RAID driver is incompatible, Windows 7 installation will not recognize the RAID configuration. If this is the case, you will need to install the RAID driver via external hard drive. The other installation steps are the same as normal Windows 7 installation.

Some manufacturers provide the RAID configuration software which can be installed after installing Windows 7.

For more information about How to setup RAID system, you may refer to the following link:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/How-to-Setup-a-RAID-System/393/1

Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 1:51 AM
  • Hi Arthur Li,

I have completed the windows 7 setup with a normal SATA hard drive and now I want to add 2 additional disks in RAID 1 configuration. How can I add this without having to reinstall Windows 7?

Right now, when I add the RAID array, configure in the BIOS and then start up windows 7, it crashes at the time of showing the windows logo animation at start.

I have tried to go via the repair route from the Windows 7 disk and click on Load Driver button when the installation lists the existing windows installations. I then point to the media containing the RAID drivers for my motherboard, but for some reason it errors out and says that it cannot load the drivers.

My configuration is:

Windows 7 x64

MSI P6NGM-FD motherboard

NVIDIA nForce 630i/GeForce 7100 Chipset

Disk configuration:

DISK 1: SATA (Bootable - on which win 7 was originally installed)

DISK 2 + DISK 3: RAID 1 (Trying to add these at a later point after complete win 7 installation)

The reason I don't want to reinstall Win 7 is that I have a complete system with all my programs and settings and I don't want to do the entire reinstall process again.

My other question is that given the fact that the drivers are not loading when I do a repair right now, what are the chances that windows will load these drivers successfully when I do a new install?

Would really appreciate feedback from anyone who has added RAID array after an installation is done on a non-RAID disk.

Thanks

Monday, June 21, 2010 10:34 PM
  • Well, since I get the biggest error EVER (takes up the whole screen, plus some and covers the whole task bar), I'll just post what I was putting in the "reason" box.

"Using MOD powers to deem his own reply as being the best answer, that isn't voted up I might add, when it doesn't even cover HALF of the possible solutions and/or alternatives! Being a M$ employee, this answer should have been included right away! http://www.overclockers.com/setting-up-os-raid-with-windows-7-ultimate/ "

To expound on that... What an pompousterously* lame move Arthur. It wouldn't irk me so much had you not deemed your own post to be the "Answer" when it is lacking in so much information, but even worse you just copy and pasted it in reply to the other guy and did it AGAIN! I mean give me a break! You are really that full of yourself to not even think that the end user could deem what you said to be the answer? At the very least, you could have waited for your posts to get voted up. I'm sure the error was due to the length of my "reason" for why I was reporting for abuse, but I only hope it wasn't because you are a mod :|

Now, to try and provide some help: I only stumbled on this site when I was trying to figure out how to set up a software RAID (which is how I came across this post), as I've never done it before. It outlines quite nicely, and thuroughly as well, on how to go about setting up a RAID through Windows with the OS already installed. Provided you don't want to go hardware, which generally requires a reinstall of the OS. There is obviously going to be a benefit of a hardware based RAID, over a software one, but since I don't know enough about a RAID I can't really list any. You still will get a performance boost by going the software route, as well as the benefit of file security (from corruption/deletion) if you go with a Mirror RAID, but I suspect it would be suseptable to errors more easily than a hardware one. But for Moiz, it looks like this would be an easier route to take. Here is the link again: http://www.overclockers.com/setting-up-os-raid-with-windows-7-ultimate/

(*Yes that is a made up word, because 'pompous' by itself just doesn't fit what you did into it's definition ;) )

Sunday, June 27, 2010 12:52 AM
  • I have four Wester Digital 500gb hard drives that I want to set up in a RAID 10 configuration of 1+0, and the OS I am using is Windows 7 pro. I would like to know how to set them up.

Software RAID provides no protection, get a real controller or use discrete disks and backup.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe Need a some parts finish the new server, see the site for remaining items needed
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 2:48 PM
  • "I have four Wester Digital 500gb hard drives that I want to set up in a RAID 10 configuration of 1+0, and the OS I am using is Windows 7 pro. I would like to know how to set them up."

"Software RAID provides no protection, get a real controller or use discrete disks and backup."

This is simply a guess, but I believe he was wanting to do hardware RAID, just after the fact of installing Windows. Which I think is only possible on non-OS drives. :\ Now if you can setup a hardware RAID and not need to reinstall Windows, how would setting up a software RAID to mirror the OS to the hardware RAID pan out? Or is it not even possible/practical?
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 3:40 PM
  • The OP would need to be aware that BIOS like RAID is better then OS RAID, but still short of the dedicated card with better hardware.

To use the MB RAID, the OS would need to be reinstalled fresh on the array. RAID 0 is fastest. RAID 5 can tolerate a single disk failure but the MB based solution is slow, and this is where a card can shine.

Still even RAID 5 is imperfect and backup is important.

I have a page on RAID on my site, see the resources.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe Need a some parts finish the new server, see the site for remaining items needed
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 3:48 PM