none
Windows Vista must be burned in a DVD or can I do that in some "virtual DVD" on the HD?'''

Question

• Thanks for the two tips already given to me!!!

But I think I need at last one more tip: as my DVD is just a read one and I heard about "burn a DVD on the HD" (to ship a DVD Windows Vista media from Micosoft, it takes 2-4 weeks!), the question is: how to do that?

I tried with Nero v.6, but the downloaded file's name is "vista_5384.4.060518-1455_winmain_beta2_x64fre_client-LB2CxFRE_EN_DVD", an unrecognized type of file...

By the way, I get an information from Microsfot's site: the downloaded file must be renamed to an ISO file (?); so, i did put a ".iso" extension at the end of this awfull filie's name and the Nero burning program makes another file from my 4,208,368 KB renamed ".iso" one, with an extension ".nrg".

So what? How can I "make a virtual DVD file" on the HD??? And if I succeed in do that, will Windows Vista installation procedure asks me to boot from the virtual DVD drive?

I'm really lost in the hell and your help would be very, very nice...

thanks a lot,

Nelson Sampaio

Monday, June 12, 2006 10:58 PM

Answers

• My first recommendation is to find someone with a DVD burner and have them burn the file to DVD as an ISO for you.

Barring that, a number of users have reported success using Daemon Tools CD/DVD emulator to install Vista on a separate partition from Windows XP, and have reported it worked through the reboot process.

Daemon Tools can be downloaded from the authors at http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php?mode=ViewCategory&catid=5

Please note, I would not attempt to do this when installing Vista as an upgrade or clean installation on the same partition as your current XP installation.

I'm also moving this thread to the Vista Beta Setup forum, since it's a more appropriate topic there. :)

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 12:23 AM