none
No Drivers for HP LaserJet 2840 Vista 64 bit

Question

• It's May 2008, and HP still hasn't brought Vista 64 bit drivers. They added Vista 32 bit Nov 2, 2007 but it doesn't install with 64bit. I need to scan and fax. When I bought the machine, HP promised Vista compatible. A year later, NOTHING!
    Saturday, May 03, 2008 7:02 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I’ve searched HP support website and found the following page:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=445197&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=445194&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2100

I’m not sure if HP LaserJet 2800’s driver can apply to HP LaserJet 2840, which I cannot find the information for on the website.

Hope this helps!

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Cheers,

Lionel

Monday, May 05, 2008 7:25 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I’ve searched HP support website and found the following page:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=445197&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=445194&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2100

I’m not sure if HP LaserJet 2800’s driver can apply to HP LaserJet 2840, which I cannot find the information for on the website.

Hope this helps!

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Cheers,

Lionel

Monday, May 05, 2008 7:25 AM
  • I downloaded and installed the x64 universal pcl5 package from HP referenced above.  When I try to add the LJ2100 that is shared on my server 2003 I get a message back that there is no driver.

I connect to the same shared printer without any issues from a 32 bit vista workstation.

Anyone have more ideas?

Ciao,

David

Saturday, May 10, 2008 12:56 AM
  • There's still no solution for Vista 64. Recently (June) purchased a LaserJet 2840 which has turned out to be an expensive fax machine. Found that HP's Universal Print Driver solution for x64 operating systems suffers performance problems when it works but isn't a solution when the printers connected via USB. Vista's suggested solution when the OS can't find the driver is nonsense as you're directed to download LaserJet 2800 USB drivers. MS and HP need to solve this - how long has the 2840 been available.

Sunday, June 08, 2008 9:39 AM
  •  

I too am a victim of HP's indifference. Paid almost $1000 for the 2840. Shortly after switched to Vista 64 bit. It would not work. HP wouldn't support it becaue I was out of warranty. They had me pay for phone support with an outside company out of Canada.

It took 3 days for the support team to come up with a work around. It never worked right. Now the printer will NOT print color at all. I have to pay another $100 for the same service and probably get the same work around in lieeu of legit 64 bit drivers..

I am debating whether this is as good a time to say good bye to HP for GOOD..

They have been promising driver support for a $1000 multifunction ever since I bought it.. never came through. Good to see that I am not the only one screwed.

I had to take them to Attorney General's consumer fraud division before I could get them to honor the lap top warranty. I may have to do the same with the printer..

Is there any integrity left with that company?

Friday, June 20, 2008 5:23 AM
  •  

What a bunch of nonsense.  HP obviously wants us to purchase the newer model of their laserjet, which I did.  I was completely unsatisfied with it, so went back to the task of compatibility between my Windows Vista 64-bit system and my tried and true 2840.

Microsoft has a "Virtual PC" that you can download free.  It requires Windows Vista Ultimate, so upgrading was step 1.

Step 2:  Download the free Virtual PC 2007 and install it on your 64-bit system:   http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

Now that you have your virtual PC (like a mini computer inside your computer) you need to install an operating system.  I bought Windows Vista Business version (32 bit) because I found it inexpensively, but you can install whatever 32-bit system that is compatible with the 2840 software.  So now you've created a 32-bit virtual system within your 64-bit system. 

Now just install the 2840 software into the 32-bit virtual system and you're good to go.  All this cost under $300.

Friday, March 27, 2009 5:08 AM
  • For some reason the suggestions in the following link worked once I had the 2800 printer installed --

http://www.zolved.com/synapse/view_content/28018/Error_Message_on_HP_Color_LaserJet_2840__Page_too_complex

Oliver
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 8:49 PM
  • I had an existing Color LaserJet 2840 All-In-One and recently bought an HP Vista 64 bit laptop and was shocked that there was no scanner support for 64 bit Vista machines.

After reading some posts I decided to try to create a Virtual PC running windows XP. The HP printer software installation fails on a virtual PC because USB drivers and ports are required.

So I tried the same thing using Virtual Box (you can download free from Sun) and got it to work in a little over an hour!

BTW - I was shocked to find that Virtual Box is 2-3 times faster than Virtual PC and things like networking and host CD drive access worked automatically.

This may be the best solution for most users, but you need to have a Windows XP CD in order to create the Virtual machine.

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 5:00 PM