none
Generic Non-PnP Monitor on Startup

Question

• Small startup issue.
    When I get to the login screen, the resolution has defaulted to 1024x768.  After I login, I modify the screen resolution by clicking the Detect button on the Screen Resolution page.   The Detect button picks up my monitor name (KDS Visual Sensations VS-190i) and resets the screen resolution to 1280x1024.  The monitor runs on a Nvidia GeForce 5500 FX AGP card with Vista drivers.  The video card information is known by the system at startup.  Then when I restart the computer the monitor resolution is back to 1024x768 and Generic Non-PnP Monitor.

I've tried to update the monitor driver, but to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dan
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 2:44 AM

Answers

• Download the official Nvidia drivers from www.nvidia.com.  The included drivers in windows are WDDM drivers, a frame work for drivers for windows 7.  Its a generic driver designed to work with VGA adapters and GPUs in place of the usual VGA drivers used in XP and vista. 

download the latest Windows 7 drivers for your GPU.  Note which version of Windows 7 your running (32-bit or 64-bit). 

Rule of thumb, never use microsoft provided drivers.  Always install the latest drivers form the hardware manufacturer.
    Monday, June 01, 2009 11:09 PM

All replies

• Anyone?
    Monday, June 01, 2009 1:53 PM
  • Where did the driver come from? Was it for Windows Vista or 7?
    Monday, June 01, 2009 4:10 PM
  • Monitor Driver came from Windows 7 when I installed.

Monitor driver

Driver Provider:  Microsoft
    Driver Date:        06/21/2006
    Driver Version:    6.1.7100.0
    Digital Signer:      Microsoft Windows

Graphics Card driver

Driver Provider:  NVIDIA
    Driver Date:        10/9/2006
    Driver Version:    9.6.8.5
    Digital Signer:      Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

Monday, June 01, 2009 9:57 PM
  • Download the official Nvidia drivers from www.nvidia.com.  The included drivers in windows are WDDM drivers, a frame work for drivers for windows 7.  Its a generic driver designed to work with VGA adapters and GPUs in place of the usual VGA drivers used in XP and vista. 

download the latest Windows 7 drivers for your GPU.  Note which version of Windows 7 your running (32-bit or 64-bit). 

Rule of thumb, never use microsoft provided drivers.  Always install the latest drivers form the hardware manufacturer.
    Monday, June 01, 2009 11:09 PM
  • Maybe I'm missing something here, but the only time this is an issue is at startup.  Where is the disconnect between detecting my monitor at startup and detecting my monitor using the Detect button on the Screen Resolution dialog?  Doesn't seem like a driver would do it.   I don't have a monitor driver from KDS and it doesn't look like there is one available or will ever be available.  Furthermore, Nvidia doesn't have a windows 7 driver available for the model GPU I have.  I'm at one of those crossroads where it "worked fine with XP, so why am I bothering with this."  Finally, I never upgraded to Vista because until three months ago I was running 512 MB of RAM on this machine.

I also don't know if this is related, but the computer won't sleep nor will it turn on the screen saver or sleep the monitor after the specified time.  Is ACPI an issue here?

Friday, June 05, 2009 11:34 PM
  • Did you ever get this issue resolved? I too am having the same problem. It detects my monitor when i click on detect, but if i switch over to the other monitor and switch back it defaults back to the Generic non Pnp. Does the same thing when i log off and on. I manually have to click on detect each time.

Let me know thanks!

Timur

Thursday, September 02, 2010 3:07 PM
  • Try this. Once your system is up and running unplug the monitor and wait 10 seconds and then plug the monitor back in and see what happens. When I say unplug I mean the AC power cord not the monitor vga or dvi cable.
    Monday, March 19, 2012 8:29 PM