none
How to format my Disk?

Question

• My computer was working well for last 2 years, but now, I don't know maybe a virus came in or so...

Thing is:

-it doesn't recognize any USB/CD/DVD device, can't connect to the internet, graphic card ain't working and lot of other stuff.

PC doesn't let me use format (My Computer -> C: drive and "format") or system recovery feature, so I can't do a thing.

My antivirus never starts on, firewall is always off...

What to do? How to format that drive? Is there any other option beside in My Computer? I didn't have some special stuff to save, so all can be erased, what to do?

Saturday, November 24, 2012 1:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• I would go for a Factory Restore. Check the manufacturer's web page for detailed instructions.
    Saturday, November 24, 2012 1:43 PM
  • You can't reformat the drive with the operating system from within Windows.

If you can't run the manufacturer's system restore, the obvious thing to do is to wipe the drive and clean install Windows. That would require an installation DVD.

I suggest reading this:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/219487-clean-reinstall-factory-oem-windows-7-a.html

It's intended for getting rid of the dubious stuff that PC makers pre-load onto their prodocts, but ytou may find it helpful.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 3:09 PM
  • Hi,

Can you start the PC in Safe Mode? If yes, you can try to turn on the antivirus to scan your system.

Also, as Oberwald said making a Factory Restore should be a good chocie.

But if you have a installation DVD, you may try to perfom a clean install for Windows 7.

For how to Clean Install Windows 7, please see:http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 26, 2012 5:42 AM
  • Hi,

Can you start the PC in Safe Mode? If yes, you can try to turn on the antivirus to scan your system.

But if you have a installation DVD, you may try to perfom a clean install for Windows 7.

Spencer

A Factory Restore is far better than a "clean installation" from an installation DVD because it gives the OP a ready-to-roll version of Windows with all the drivers and auxiliary programs that the manufacturer included. Loading Windows from a generic installation DVD is demanding for a novice.
    Monday, November 26, 2012 7:28 AM
  • Hi,

Spencer

A Factory Restore is far better than a "clean installation" from an installation DVD because it gives the OP a ready-to-roll version of Windows with all the drivers and auxiliary programs that the manufacturer included. Loading Windows from a generic installation DVD is demanding for a novice.

Hi,

Thanks for your advise.  I think i should add one sentence in my previous post. "If you lost restore discs or Recovery Manager not work, you may try to perform a clean install."

Thanks again,Oberwald. 

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 26, 2012 8:25 AM
  • My computer was working well for last 2 years, but now, I don't know maybe a virus came in or so...

Thing is:

-it doesn't recognize any USB/CD/DVD device, can't connect to the internet, graphic card ain't working and lot of other stuff.

PC doesn't let me use format (My Computer -> C: drive and "format") or system recovery feature, so I can't do a thing.

My antivirus never starts on, firewall is always off...

What to do? How to format that drive? Is there any other option beside in My Computer? I didn't have some special stuff to save, so all can be erased, what to do?

Mafo,

The answers these guys provided are correct, there is one thing I'd like to ask/query about:

1.  Whats your comfort level with wiping the entire drive as there is a drive wiper out there that will completely obliterate the drives contents.  The factory restore is the most logical for the stated reasons.  A lot of times the manufacturer will "hide" a drive that has the recovery settings/OS/etc. on it.  Contact them as was suggested.

2.  google "drive wiper", wish I could remember what its called but can't and you'll find one that is free.

3.  Ok, I have more to say...just wakin' up, questions/theories:

A:  Can't remember if you said you had factory disks, you do, boot that baby from the cd drive and re-install.

B.  Based on what you write, either you had to open something/do something that has done this, OR, could be/maybe your mobo is goin'.  You did say the sys is 2 years old...depending on your sys and the money you put in it, it might be decaying (cheap/inexpensive parts/ systems/ go quick).

C.  The answers you've been given are all right.  However, you don't really provide much info.  So,  the more detail you provide (what led up to this, what you did/didn't do, what other signs you were getting -probably' had them you didn't recognize them.  

D.  Waking up, I think that the drive wiper is called "Killdisk"( or something to that effect, RESEARCH -you'll find one).

E.  You want precise answers you've got to provide LOTS of details, some experience with this site speaking here.  These folks are very helpful but they can't read your mind and diagnose with what you've provided. 

F.  If you can't connect to the internet how'd you get your letter posted?....use those means to RESEARCH. 

G.  Does the sys have floppy capabilities?  If so, find a copy of "fdisk" on the net, however you posted, and when you do boot  F8 (if that's how your sys gives you alternate startup options) that baby, open up an elevated command prompt window, use fdisk, it'll darn sure wipe out your hd.

Good luck, my thinking is that you've either a boot sector bug/virus or your mobo is on the way out.....OH, still waking up, how long has it been since you've replaced your BIOS battery?  Maybe/could be a possibility.  For a couple of bucks at Radio Shack your problems could be solved...operative terms here are could be maybe.  Crack your case open get the battery, bring it to RS match it up and replace.  Who knows, could be as simple as that.

Hope any of this helps

horatio

ps. Just re-read my reply, you did say nothing is recognized, SO, try the above first...BIOS battery...RS, etc.

• Edited by HoratioL MCP Monday, November 26, 2012 11:59 AM re-read the answer/reply and still waking up
    Monday, November 26, 2012 11:54 AM
  • ps. Just re-read my reply, you did say nothing is recognized, SO, try the above first...BIOS battery...RS, etc. 

Slight correction. Since the BIOS is a ROM (=non-volatile Read-Only Memory), it does not need a battery to preserve its data. You were actually thinking of the CMOS battery.
    Monday, November 26, 2012 12:24 PM