none
Can't optimize internet settings in Windows 7

Question

• I optimized my internet wrong yesterday, and now I whant to get it back. I did do a system restor, but that didn't do a thing. The internet goes slow. I am using Wireless DSL. I have used tons of software to try to get it back, but it just won't work.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 11:36 AM

Answers

• That application was designed for Win 9x and XP. It is really not needed. matching the MTU to your ISP specs was usually all that was needed in the old versions of Windows.

I suggest that you start over with a clean installation of Win 7. The time it will take you to find the registry changes made and repair them will take longer than a fresh install.

Then just set up the connection properly.  
    The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Baileywiz,

Can you explain how you "optimized" your "internet wrong" - what program did you use, etc.?

What build of Windows 7 are you using and what arch?
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 11:45 AM
  • I optimized it (You know like the Winsock). I somehow made it much slower. Internet Cyclone.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 11:48 AM
  • I am using Build 7100.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:06 PM
  • That application was designed for Win 9x and XP. It is really not needed. matching the MTU to your ISP specs was usually all that was needed in the old versions of Windows.

I suggest that you start over with a clean installation of Win 7. The time it will take you to find the registry changes made and repair them will take longer than a fresh install.

Then just set up the connection properly.  
    The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:43 PM
  • I have a registry backup file.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:45 PM
  • In the event Internet Cyclone automatically made a backup of the settings, or if you manually instructed it to do so, my suggestion would be to restore the backed up settings.   Else, consider running the following from an elevated CMD prompt:
      netsh winsock reset

Then reboot and see how things are.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:49 PM
  • 1. Run the following command in CMD:

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset

2. Restart the comptuer. 
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:10 AM