none
Vista "Server execution failed" tray message: caused by AOL Instant Messenger.

Question

• I have recieved Windows Vista Business edition as part of my college's MSDNAA program. I am having a problem which pops up every now and again, though I think I am beginning to narrow down its causes.

At some point the network icon will go off - it will display me as disconnected. Holding my mouse over it the popup says "connection status: unknown server execution failed". At the same time with that, my windows experience index will stop appearing in windows' system properties window, the network center freezes, my ATI driver's control app refuses to start, and if I change my sound driver the sound icon goes dead aswell. Also, if I try to install windows by repairing my current installation it will freeze at 52%. The problem is only reversable via system restore.

The network itself works fine, as does the sound. The problems seem completly unrelated and are actually pointing to something more complex than simply a network problem. However, I have noticed it happen under curious circumstances: after using yahoo messenger for a while it happens. After the issue is reversed via system restore if yahoo is started up again, explorer will freeze for a few seconds, then the problem will strike again. I have uninstalled yahoo and deleted its leftover program files, appdata files, programdata files, and registry entries. The problem was fixed. I blamed it on using a modified version called yahoo multi messenger because I needed to be online on 2 accounts at the same time. Back then I didn't know I could fix my problem with SR so I just reinstalled all of windows from scratch.

Then a few days ago I installed trillian to use it as a substitute for yahoo. I had no problems at first. Then as I left 2 yahoo accounts run at once a few hours ago, it struck again. System restore repaired it again.

I am currently interested in why this problem is occuring and what server execution failed is supposed to be because my network works just fine, but part of windows doesn't know that it is, and why it will mess up just so much of my system. If there are any ways to debug or troubleshoot this I am willing to go as deep into windows' infrastructure as it takes because it is a highly frustrating problem. Also, if you require any additional information about my hardware/software configuration I will gladly offer.

Thank you in advance.
    Saturday, February 03, 2007 3:01 PM

Answers

• In reply to you, I have taken y problem to tech support. I have AIM too, turns out the culprit was the latest version of AIM -- 5.9.6-something, do a system restore, uninstall it, install 5.9.3 or older, they'll work. My problem has been fixed.
    Sunday, February 04, 2007 11:11 PM

All replies

• Yes, I'm having the same problem can someone please help. But, I think my problem may be from AIM instead of yahoo, but I'm not sure. I'm checking it out as I type.
    Sunday, February 04, 2007 11:02 PM
  • In reply to you, I have taken y problem to tech support. I have AIM too, turns out the culprit was the latest version of AIM -- 5.9.6-something, do a system restore, uninstall it, install 5.9.3 or older, they'll work. My problem has been fixed.
    Sunday, February 04, 2007 11:11 PM
  • I have the same issue with Vista Ultimate.

I think MSN 8.1 screwed mine. When i view "network and sharing centre" the first line under the title reads

"unknown - Server execution failed"

Once that happens i am screwed and need to reboot the machine to get it working again.

I have to admit Vista is RIDDLED with bugs througout and i have found a lot, plus its only 3 months old!

In my event logs i receive this message

"The Network List Service service terminated with the following error:
    Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service."

I know for a fact that is wrong as i have over 1.2GB of memory and am about to upgrade to 2GB.

Wait for SP1 as Vista really isn't ready!
    Monday, February 05, 2007 2:16 PM
  • I am having the same problem, I also have Vista Business Edition from MSDNAA, I don't wanna restore my OS.  
    Monday, February 05, 2007 7:16 PM
  • I am having the same exact problem. This is ridiculous, wonder how long this will take to get addressed.
    Monday, February 05, 2007 9:05 PM
  • Good! I am not alone!

Here is what happened... One day, after restarting on feb 1st, after installing a round of microsoft updates it happened to me...

I first noticed it as the network icon with a red 'X'... then i noticed i also couldn't MSTSC.exe into my vista computer that was having this issue... I assumed network, then as i progressed I noticed the system information tool (msinfo32.exe) couldn't "collect information" so that pointed me to the windows management information service - which is running just fine (as per the logs and service status).  I started to explore 'access' restrictions, disabling all the firewalls...etc.  I think it might just be the information service is blocked by programs that want to access it...  

Oh,  restoring the system to an earlier date didn't fix the problem either.   Oh well...

Can't wait to figure this one out.. i've tried everything!

update...

The Sidebar module that shows current network status works fine...  Leading more to believe there's an access issue between some windows apps and the information service... hmm!

more possible problems...  I tried creating a new account on the machine (guest, standard user, and admin user)  and none of them would work after trying to login with the new account.  The desktop would take about a minute to come up and when it did, it would have a 'windows mail' loader error on MSOE.dll failed to initialize, and then explorer didn't start--- I couldn't even start explorer.exe from the ask manager!! (other simple apps started like notepad... but not the vitals!!)

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 7:06 AM
  • A question for those complaining about the problem above:

Does your network still work normally even though the network appears disconnected?

There might actually be other programs not just AIM 5.9.6089 which cause this problem.

But whatever the cause, using system restore to a time before the problem had occurred is most likely to solve the problem. However, starting the application which originally caused the problem will bring it back again.

If you are interested in learning more about your problem, you may reproduce it to observe it better.

I don't know about other programs, but the problem itself can be quite decieving. It doesn't necessarily occur at the very moment of connection. Mine happened only when 2 or more other messengers were working at once, and once it was triggered by the browser too.

In all cases the interface(all, not just explorer), would freeze for a couple of seconds when the problem struck.

I want to ask you all one question: when you open up system properties, does your rating(windows experience index) still appear normally? In my case it wouldn't display it.

As for Vista bugs, the only real bugs I've found were explorer file names disappearing from a folder and windows defender's options being able to scroll up into infinity. The problem in question is most likely a compatibility issue, not a bug.
    Tuesday, February 06, 2007 10:16 AM
  • Yea, I just noticed this problem as well. AIM 5.9 no longer starts, but i could get it to start by closing all the svchost.exe that were network services. But then I could not start Firefox or IE, it would restart my computer. My rating doest appear either
    Tuesday, February 06, 2007 3:21 PM
  • Experience index does not display, correct.

I tried restoring with no luck! 

I noticed this in the 'WMI Control Properties' under computer management -> services & applications -> "WMI Control Properties"

the information box on that properties screen under ('more actions') says:

Failed to initialize all required WMI classes.

Win32_Processor: Win32: Access is denied

Win32_WMISetting: Successful

Security information: Successful

Win32_OperatingSystem: Win32: Access is denied

i'll investigate further...

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 5:54 PM
  • After hosing wmi, attempting a bunch of random old windows XP fixes for it...  i'm back to square 1 minus 1...

now the WMI control properties says:

Win32_Processor: <Null>: No such interface supported

(same for win32_operatingsystem)     investigating this... i've tried reregistering the dll several times... 

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 8:02 PM
  • Yes, I also noticed the experience index doesn't show, the network works fine for me as I am using it right now, but it always has that red X over it, it's been like this since maybe the second day I had it, which was probably around January 28th. I think we need a fix for this ASAP. 
    Tuesday, February 06, 2007 8:52 PM
  • I also can not play any media files. avi mp3 etc...
    Wednesday, February 07, 2007 3:51 AM
  • Same problem here too Rcunn87...

What kind of systems are you all running?

I'm running a Dell E1505 w/ nvidia 2go, wi-fi..  yeah all that..

Let's get to the bottom of this!!  

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 5:04 AM
  • I can still use AIM and play media files, I just hope it doesn't get progressively worse, cause right now I'm having a lot of network failures I have to restart all the time although messengers keep working, websites stop loading, even when I try to go to the administration panel of my router
    Wednesday, February 07, 2007 8:24 AM
  • Well Aim 5.9 didn't work, I upgraded to 6 and that seems to be fine. I did a system restore last night and everything seemed fine until I woke up and I am back to where I was. My system is a HP P4 Northwood 2.8 w/HT, I have a ATI R. 9800XT, X-Fi Platinum, Sony Dvd writter, and a logitech mouse. All of those have some sort of driver except the Dvd writter. Should i post the programs i have installed?
    Wednesday, February 07, 2007 3:46 PM
  • I'm getting the same exact error.  I am running Microsoft Vista Business from the MSDNAA program.  Network and Sharing Center is slow to load and freezes.  Network icon shows I'm disconnected even though I am connected and also list the error:

Connection Status:  Unknown
    Server Execution Failed

I tried to install a 5.9.3 of AIM instead of 5.9.6 and this did not solve my problem.  I tried contacting customer service at Microsoft and they helped me narrow it down to this problem:

Go to Start and in the search, type "Services" - Click on services and find the service called "Network List Service."  This was not started on my machine.  When I tried to start it, it told me the following:

Error 1450 Insufficient Resources Exist

This cannot be possible since my task manager is showing plenty of memory and processor power available.  I also am running a Dell e1705 with an Intel 2.16 Core 2 Duo Processor with 2 Gigs of RAM.

Microsoft really needs to patch this.
    Thursday, February 08, 2007 5:58 AM
  • Yeah, I gave up. I tried everything, even went as far as uninstalling most of my development tools (VS2005, SQL Server 2005) and still nothing. Browsing the network took an insane amount of time, at work, I had to exclude my static network IP from the DHCP range since Vista wouldn't let me access the Network Connections section without a freeze of that window. I am really disappointed. Once the pretty eyecandy wears off, we seem to be left with a system that excessively constrains and limits what we can do coupled with a lot of instability.

It's back to XP for me.

I'll take another look at Vista in a year. Maybe.

Thursday, February 08, 2007 2:03 PM
  • I have the same problem with the connection status unknown and server execution failed.  When I go into networks or sharing, most of the time it doesn't even load anymore or freezes.  My ATI Control Center also doesn't start anymore and thats a pain in the *** because I need to use it.  Everything else seems to work ok, like AIM and Windows Live Messenger.  I can play media files fine, some .avi files don't play for some reason.  They play in Windows XP though.  I wrote a trouble ticket into ATI about the control panel not starting to see if they have any ideas on how to fix it and they never responded back yet, it has been over a week.  I guess the only thing to do is to reinstall Vista or go back to XP.
    Thursday, February 08, 2007 8:46 PM
  • Yeah this is all so interesting,  I'm just glad we are all having a comparable problem.

To everyone:  what does your WMI control panel say?   computer management -> services & applications -> WMI control snapin,    under 'more actions' on the right hit 'properties' and post what error it is you are having...  mine says 'access denied'.   This tells me that there are some definite security measures occuring that shouldn't be.   I've been messing with the local security policy a bit trying to remove all limits and restrictions just to see if i can find out what is getting blocked, because it's obviously something is being blocked from accessing resources.... including some of these services (such as that network list service)

-j

Thursday, February 08, 2007 10:15 PM
  • Yea mine does the same thing for processor and OS
    Thursday, February 08, 2007 10:21 PM
  • It says.

Win32_Processor: Win32: Access is denied.

Win32_OperatingSystem: Win32: Access is denied.

Thursday, February 08, 2007 10:33 PM
  • Mine says the exact same thing in the WMI Snap In Properties:

Help us Microsoft

Thursday, February 08, 2007 10:38 PM
  • I researched on google.  And found this website

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win32.programmer.wmi/msg/1da6ab3690bc75a0

but its only for Windows XP, also some people had success by typing in these:

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\atl.dll
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netshell.dll
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hnetcfg.dll
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netcfgx.dll
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netman.dll

but that didn't help me, the hnetcfg.dll failed, but all the others succeeded.

Do anybody have a wireless card installed? If so what kind?

Thursday, February 08, 2007 10:44 PM
  • I just tried that exact same thing.  I got the same result:

hnetcfg.dll failed

My wireless card is built in
    Thursday, February 08, 2007 10:59 PM
  • Is it an SMC by anychance? or have SMC Wireless utility installed?
    Thursday, February 08, 2007 11:01 PM
  • I dont have any wireless card installed. What programs do you have installed?
    I have
    Adobe Flash 9 ActiveX
    Adobe Reader 8
    Aim 6.0
    Aim 5.9
    Ati Catalyst Install Manenger
    Azureus
    Creative Audio Console
    Creative Audio Processing Object Module
    DivX Codec
    DivC Content Uploader
    DivX Converter
    DivX Player
    DivX Webplaer
    Java SDK 6.0
    Java RE 6.0
    Office 2007 pro trial
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
    FireFox 2.0.0.1
    OpenAl
    VLC 0.8.6a
    Viewpoint Media
    Thursday, February 08, 2007 11:18 PM
  • I'm using an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    Thursday, February 08, 2007 11:23 PM
  • I have :

IC Card Reader Driver v1.8e2

A+ 2006 Demo

Adobe Flash Player 9 ActiveX

Adobe Photoshop CS2

Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0

Adobe Reader 8

AIM 6.0

Apple Software Update

ATI Catalyst Install Manager

Audacity 1.2.6

Audacity 1.3.2

Audio/Video To Wav Converter version 1.0.3

Auto Gordian Knot 2.27

AVIcodec

AviSynth 2.5

BitComet 0.70

BitPim 0.9.07

BlueJ 2.1.3

Codec Pack - All In 1 6.0.3.0

Cool MP3 Splitter 2.2

Deer Hunter 4

Deer Hunter 2004

DVD43 v3.9.0

DVD Decrypter

EA Sports online 2007

Far Cry

FEARCombat

FIFA 2007

GameSpy Arcade

GrabIt 1.6.2 Beta

Indeo Software

iTunes

J2SE Development Kit 5.0 Update 4

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 6

Lexmark 730 Series

LimeWire PRO 4.13.0

Logitech QuickCam

Logitech Camera Driver

LogMeIn

Madden 2007

Magic ISO Maker v4.8

MailWasher Pro

Medieval II Total War

Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003

Microsoft Office OneNote 2007

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable

MP4 Converter 3

MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)

MSXML 4.0 SP@ Parser and SDK

Nero 7 Ultra Edition

NetBeans IDE 5.5

NHL 2007

palmOne

Paltalk Messenger PowerISO QuickPar 0.9

QuickTime

Realtek High Definition Audio Driver

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Samsung USB Driver (MCCI 4.34) WHQL v3.0

Skype 3.0

SnagIt 7

Test Drive Unlimited PUBLIC Beta

Trophy Bass 2007

Ultra ISO V6.56 SR-2

Ventrilo Client

VobSub v2.23

Windows LIve Messenger

WinFast PVR

WinRar

Xvid 1.1.2

xVid MPEG4 Video Codec

Yahoo Messenger

Thursday, February 08, 2007 11:28 PM
  • Out of your programs that you listed, I also have installed:

Adobe Reader 8
    Aim 5.9
    Azureus
    DivX Codec
    DivC Content Uploader
    DivX Converter
    DivX Player
    DivX Webplaer
    FireFox 2.0.0.1
    VLC 0.8.6a
    Viewpoint Media

Thursday, February 08, 2007 11:31 PM
  • oh yea i did have itunes installed but i got rid of it to see if that fixed anything
    Thursday, February 08, 2007 11:49 PM
  • So are we ever getting this fixed? It's been almost a week already...  

Friday, February 09, 2007 1:07 AM
  • I had the problem for over a week, I searched but there was nothing about it, so I thought I was the only person with the problem.  Until, I searched today and found this forum.
    Friday, February 09, 2007 1:12 AM
  • I was talking to someone from microsoft for 3-4 hours earlier and got no where
    Friday, February 09, 2007 1:20 AM
  • Hmph.  I just got this error 2day.  It says Server Execution Failed.  As soon as it said that, i also could not play any media what-so ever in any media playing application, including windows media center recorded tv.  I hope that it is resolved soon. 
    Friday, February 09, 2007 3:31 AM
  • Good, the more people that have this problem the more exposure we'll get in finding a fix... in the meantime, keep tinkering with the computer management settings! 

I too have tried all the winXP fixes for WMI, no dice!!!

Friday, February 09, 2007 4:22 AM
  • This is to my last post about having no media playing what-so ever. I actually just fixed it and got all media working by going to device manager and windows vista had a pop up dialog  box saying something was wrong and  it asked me if  i wanted to disable it.  So i did and now i can run all media again.  But i still have the "Server Execution Failed" error. 

I also understand what caused my sound device to go all wrong and not be able to play media.  If i ran a program that was designed for xp, it would give me a fatal error about direct sound.
    Friday, February 09, 2007 5:02 AM
  • I originally had media playback problems too....interesting.  I fixed it but I wonder if that has to do with our current problem at all?
    Friday, February 09, 2007 8:55 AM
  • Okay, I have a question for all. I got pissed that I couldn't listen to music so I installed Xp Pro on my second harddrive and now it dosen't ask what I want to boot into. Is there any way to fix this?
    Friday, February 09, 2007 3:24 PM
  • not sure Rcunn,, sounds like another problem for another forum,  but try the  start->run-> msconfig    and click on the boot tab and see if you can modify the boot settings there. 

ryan,  how did you get media playback to start working again? i still can't get mine to work...

-j

Friday, February 09, 2007 5:41 PM
  • I installed all the Vista drivers from the Dell.com site for my graphics card and audio card when i installed Vista.  Turns out, the Vista drivers weren't needed and the XP ones were the ones that worked.  There was a small line on the vista drivers page that said "You may not need to upgrade your driver to this driver.  Windows XP drivers may work in some cases" or something like that.  So i uninstalled all of my devices in Device Manager and reinstalled them with the proper drivers.  Also make sure to get the proper codecs like DivX, XviD, AC3 Filter, etc.
    Friday, February 09, 2007 8:51 PM
  • Amazing Nittany, thanks for that.   I got my media player working again!

Now back to the issue at hand.  I think the reason for the red X network icon is the network list service won't start.  At least, that's what provides the information to it.  I simply can't get it to start due to an error on service start...

Does anyone know how to debug this or enable more verbose logging of it so that we can get a better hint of what's going on inside of it?

Thanks!

-j

Friday, February 09, 2007 9:16 PM
  • Same happens to me. I'm using my Wireless Internet. My internet randomly disconnects with the red x on my wireless. I get the "Server Execution Failed" error. I have to right click the X. It takes about a minute for the options to appear. I click open networks. Takes another minutes. I click disconnect. Goes right away. And I press Connect to another network. Takes another minute. Finally I can re connect again. But it keeps happening and it's driving me nuts. I don't know why it started.

I'm using Windows Vista Business... Standard programs. Anything yet guys?
    Saturday, February 10, 2007 10:58 PM
  • I had this problem too and was hoping there would be an answer here.  This is how I fixed the media playback issue that seems to be half of this problem...

System restore worked the first time this happened but not the second.  I remembered that there was some compatibility warning for my Creative Audigy 2 sound card game port.  So I disabled the game port and the sound card in device manager.  At that point I could once again play MPEGs... so I knew the card was to blame.  I reinstalled the driver package from Creative and rebooted.  At this point my machine did not have the audio driver installed at all.  I let windows search for a driver and it found the Audigy WDM.  Now I have media playback again.  This is pretty typical of Creative.  When XP came out it was a full 6 months before I had a stable system because of my Creative card.  I still have the "Server execution failed" message and the red X.

Sunday, February 11, 2007 3:28 PM
  • I'm just wondering if we'll ever get a fix.
    Sunday, February 11, 2007 7:45 PM
  • To Microsoft:

Here are the specs:
        -Windows Vista Business Edition (seemingly)
        -Network List Service (netprofm) will not start
        -Network Task Bar Icon is slow or unresponsive
        -Network and Sharing Center is slow or unresponsive

There ya go.  Fix it.
    Sunday, February 11, 2007 7:56 PM
  • Does anyone else have UAC turned off? I have it turned off and Security Alerts too, every time I go to the Security Center I have to attempt to turn on everything Firewall works fine, and Automatic Updating, but when I go to Malware Protection, it doesn't seem to know I have Windows Live OneCare installed, Windows Defender is off and when I try to turn it on it just updates definitions but doesn't turn on.
    Monday, February 12, 2007 1:26 AM
  • I'm with you guys on this one.
    Network List Service is set to Automatic,
    however it is not running.
    When attempting to run it I get the Error 1450 with the whole insufficient memory speech.
    Same red X in the system tray though clearly I'm on a network and using the internet else I wouldn't be able to post this reply :)

Vista is still young.. let's hope for a patch up soon.
    Monday, February 12, 2007 4:07 AM
  • I'm in as well - same issues.  I have nothing further to add - but I figure the more complaints, the better right?  Please Microsoft - fix it fast.  This is my laptop for work and I'm *this* close to having to go back to XP.....
    Monday, February 12, 2007 2:15 PM
  • I have the same problem after upgrading from XP.  Persistent red X on the network icon in the systray and Vista telling me it doesn't see any networks although I can see all the boxes connected to the network.  I can't change network type from public to private, or do anything with respect to network control,  because when I go into the Network and Sharing app, the app freezes.  The only way out of the app is through Task Manager.  Anyone else see this behavior?
    Monday, February 12, 2007 4:12 PM
  • I also noticed that in my computer properties, it displays my processor and my Memory (ram) as 'unavailable'.  Is anybody else experiencing this?  they might be linked to the "server execution failed" error.
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 12:08 AM
  • Mine is listed as unavailable too.
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 12:24 AM
  • Same here.
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 12:47 AM
  • Interesting, does anyone else here have a tv tuner card?  Mine stopped working the day i received the error.  Idk, maybe its just my pc.
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 3:33 AM
  • Crex,

This is because the WMI service doesn't have access to the WIN32_processor and Win32_OperatingSystem classes for the information service.

Computer Management ->  Services and Applications -> WMI Control -> (right menut) more actions-> properties... and you'll see the error.

This indeed started to occur the same time as the network issues we were seeing, and are by all means - related.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 4:54 AM
  • I had the same problems as everyone:  server excecution failure, couldn't play audio files which all happened seemingly randomly.  I was browsing the intarweb and listening to a song, then all of a sudden the next song won't start and wmp is jumping down the playlist like there's a fire or something.

I simply did a windows restore to this morning (most recent restore point) and everything seems to be working fine.  windows update wasn't scheduled to run at the time this issue occurred, and i wasn't installing any new software.  because our issues started at different times, i doubt the issue has to do with a bad update.  because most of us seem to be running wireless, i believe this might be the issue... an internal error detector that changes the state of the software to something unacceptable and saves this to memory so it starts up with the same issue.  then, because of the media sharing ***, media player determines that because the internet connection is behaving illegally, the music/media might be being illegally used (somehow); and therefor disables playback.

now- that's all conjecture, but one thing is true:  system restore fixed the symptoms for me for now.
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 5:21 AM
  • system restore is not an option, and I'm sure it will break again in the future
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 8:09 AM
  • well a long with this problem, now my AIM stopped working..  Tried to reinstall it, still doesn't work, I get A server error occured when trying to sign on.  This is starting to really piss me off, I'm going to go back to windows xp soon.
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007 12:12 AM
  • the only aim that will work is 5.9, earlier verions don't work, and 6.0 doesn't work anymore.
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007 12:46 AM
  • Although I can't view my RAM or processor information in Computer properties, that information is displayed on my Welcome Center.  Is that the case with everyone else?
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007 1:44 AM
  • Yes ryan,

I too can see my processor and ram information on the welcome center screen.  Probably because this doesn't poll the WMI to get the information.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 2:37 AM
  • It's rather frustrating that we can't get a fix even when we're posting on Microsoft forums. Has anyone tried reinstalling WMI? I don't know how to do it so I know it was possible in XP, I think we should try it .... if anyone can figure out how to do it
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007 4:47 AM
  • I'm having the same issue.

I first noticed a problem with Vista when I tried to load my "Net2Phone" software, the window did not load correctly.

Then someone tried to send me a simple audio clip through Live Messenger and it would not play, Messenger closed with an error.

Later, my wireless connection stopped and when it restarted the icon had a red X over it in the task bar.  The usual "Connection Unknown, Server execution failed" message appears.

I HAD NOT MADE ANY CHANGES OR INSTALLED ANY SOFTWARE FOR SEVERAL DAYS, but yet the problem suddenly appeared.  I thought I might be able to do a System Restore to an earlier point, but for some odd reason my System Restore had NO RESTORE POINTS!!  I have 27gb open on my HD, I did not turn Restore off, but yet all of my previous restore points were gone.

I uninstalled everything I had installed through 2/1, including Norton A/V, Novell Client Preview and Dell QuickSet but it didnt have any effect.  I also went back further and uninstalled AIM Messenger but that had no effect either.  I will say that AIM worked earlier in the day but after the problem appeared it would no longer work.  I did notice that the Viewpoint Media Player had been installed by AIM earlier in the day, even though I had installed AIM in December.  Had to jump through hoops to uninstall that program because I kept getting the error message that I had to be logged in as an Administrator, even though I am the only user and I have Admin rights.

This is an annoying problem that makes NO SENSE! It's like it came from NO WHERE and for NO REASON!  When might the great Vista God give us a fix?!?!

I had been warned of many problems with Vista during development by someone "higher up" on their beta team.  Apparently MS would receive bug reports like this but simply write them off as "unable to replicate" and move on, completely ignoring the issue in order to get the product available for RTM status as quickly as possible.  I didn't believe this person at first, but now I do.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 11:02 AM
  • I'm just going to reinstall Vista again, even though the same problem will probably happen again.
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007 3:40 PM
  • I am having the same problems.  Brand new HP laptop - 1 week old.  Everything worked fine until i noticed MS Outlook was being a little weird.  Rebooted, fixed my Outlook problem, but i could not listen to music/movies/media - seemed to happen out of nowhere.  Then i noticed the red x and the same error messages you are all receiving.  The network situation sucks and it needs to be fixed, but in the meantime i still cannot get any media playback.  I am still getting errors in every application i try to use to play MP3s.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the sound card but i continue to get the same error.  Any other ways anyone has resolved this problem so i can at least listen to my music while i'm miserable with the rest of vista?
    Thursday, February 15, 2007 7:55 PM
  • There still doesnt seem to be a "fix", an no acknowledgment from MS either that a problem exists.  It seems to be becoming more widespread and there's no rhyme or reason as to why the problem occurs, except that the basic symptoms are all the same...  No Network Sharing Center functionality, No Sound and No Processor or Memory acknowledged from Computer-Properties window, amongst a few others.

Hopefully there will be fix sometime soon.

THIS IS GETTING VERY ANNOYING!!!

Thursday, February 15, 2007 9:13 PM
  • Just an update.  I tried doing an in place upgrade to cure the red X and malfunctioning WMI but it failed maybe 3/4 of the way through.  I also removed and reinstalled all of my network adapters (the real ones and the virtual ones), removed my antivirus and removed my IM programs, all to no avail.  I don't have a wireless card.  I do still have my restored ability to play media files since I reinstalled the audio card drivers.  Another note, the system restore worked the first time, fixing both the network and multimedia problems, but the second time it did nothing, even though I restored to the same point both times.
    Friday, February 16, 2007 4:47 AM
  • Back again..
    Yea, I also felt the media playing death/plague and random system performance attributes disappearing from the System Properties in addition to the norm.

The blame for most of my damage is attributed to instant messenger programs-
    AIM, Yahoo, Windows Live, GoogleTalk...

My VAIO was less than a week old when this all started, but I was able to roll back with system restore just fine. Using AIM 6.0 instead now and so for no issues. Kinda sad that Windows Messenger isn't even compatible with it's native OS.. sigh.
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 1:28 AM
  • Same problems here except I can still play media files. I don't think this is as much of a Vista issue as it is a bug with the way third-party apps work. Something between them obviously got ****ed up during the development process. At this point it seems any instant messenger program that uses those protocols is causing this issue. My specs are as follows:
    Mid to Late 2005 Dell Dimension 3000/Xoxide X-Ventilator Hybrid
    Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 32-Bit Edition Retail/Full
    512MB Dell Standard PC3200 RAM @ 333MHz
    Intel Pentium 4 Socket 478 @ 2.8GHz (Single Core/No HyperThreading Technology)
    Integrated Dell/Intel 10/100 Ethernet
    VisionTek/ATI Radeon X1300 PCI Graphics Card
    Dell-Custom Intel Board, Chipset base currently unknown/forgotten
    AT&T High Speed Internet (Best Plan @ 6.0MBPS) With 2Wire HomePortal 2700HG-B With Built-In Wired/Wireless Router, Connected Via 10/100-Base Ethernet, (Using 100-Base).

Normally I wouldn't be so detailed but since the real cause of this is still unknown, and because there's such a broad choice of possibilities as to why we get this error, all the information we can attain on it helps MicroSoft and the third-parties find a plausible solution.
    My recommendation is do not use any instant messengers or download them. This probably only seems to occur on full/clean installs of Vista so far. My friend who did an upgrade install from Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (Most Recent Version) hasn't had this problem...of course the apps were already installed at the time too...
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 2:45 AM
  • FireFox 2
    ViewPoint
    Adobe
    AIM

I'm guessing it's down to the IM systems or FireFox then.
    Does anyone here not have either of those installed? If so, then we're looking in the wrong place.
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 2:49 AM
  • I reinstalled vista on friday.  Everything is working so far.  I have AIM 6, Windows Live Messenger, and Yahoo Messenger 8.1 installed and seems to be fine so far.  I also got MouseWare 9.0 from logitech to install for my mouse because the bastards didn't release a Vista version because they want us to go out and buy their new laser mice that are like $60 or more.
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 3:07 AM
  • One common "thread" I've seen with most of the users having this issue is AOL/AIM Messenger.

I too had installed AIM in December when I installed Vista, but had only used it ONE TIME until 2 days before the Network issue started on my machine.  And, my list of Installed Programs showed that the Viewpoint Media Player been installed on the VERY DAY that the issue started.  That is a media player that AIM installs, but had apparently not been installed until I used AIM that day.  Note that I DID NOT install it myself.

I really think AIM is at least one of the major causes.  I've always said that AOL Software was the worst in the world, so I'm not surprised.  I like the AOL service for its content, but I refuse to install the software because of all the extra poop it forces you to install along with it.

Lastly, I also did a complete reinstall of Vista on a formatted HD and so far it's working great again.  But I will not install any software that's not specifically Vista compatible until this issue is fixed.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 4:53 AM
  • New here myself. So far this is the ONLY place I've been able to find this issue.

I've had all the issues described in this thread (with the exception of playing audio and video).
    Likewise, I have Vista Business via MSDNAA with the college that I work at (we are currently testing Vista and learning its... quirks).

Still no solution for me. I'm actually quite far more interested in the cause.

Adobe 8
    Firefox 2
    AIM 5.9.3
    NX Client

These were the ONLY programs installed before this issue began. Can anyone verify independently if the culprit is Firefox 2 or AIM? I haven't seen this in a 64-bit version... YET.

A little background as well:
    During the time before my network connectivity had its little red X enter my life, I was having network issues where I would not be able to ping or get outside of a subnet on my network. HOWEVER, if I was already connected to a web page or application that was beyond it, those connections remained active. If I tried to repair the connection, the system would blue screen and reboot on me.

At least, until I'm in the final state the rest of us are in.

Anyone have similar experiences?
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 9:32 PM
  • Interesting...it has to be IM or FireFox related then. Any chance that FireFox's default browser settings could have modified or corrupted the network service settings?
    The IM programs may have done this as well with their protocols, which are probably incompatible with Vista.
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 9:53 PM
  • I'm having this issue as well using Vista Home Premium 32-Bit on a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop.  I'm not exactly sure when the issue started but i originally noticed it yesterday.  I had AIM 6.0 installed.  Uninstalled that and that didn't change anything.  I've never had Firefox on this computer.  I'm trying to uninstall viewpoint media player and i'm getting an error about i must be logged in as an administrator to do this.  I'm logged in under the only user account i have on this computer, which is the administrator.  Don't know if that's related or not.

Oh well, i still haven't decided if i want to re-install Vista or go back to XP until this issue is resolved.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 11:59 PM
  • It seems we have narrowed the issue down to the IM programs, specifically AIM and it's ViewPoint Media Player. Is there anyone at all who has gotten this error and does NOT have AIM or ViewPoint Media Player installed?
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 12:09 AM
  • All of you need to see the "common thread" that seems to be the issue...  AIM MESSENGER!!!

You can uninstall until you're blue in the face, but nothing will solve the problem once it appears until you completely Reinstall Vista on a formatted drive.  When you've done this, DO NOT install AIM or AOL!  I'm telling ya, this is the problem.

I DID NOT have this issue until I started using AIM with Vista!   While I did have it on my computer for a while before the problem began, I didnt use it.  Within 2 days of using it, the problem started.  And the Viewpoint Media Player from AIM installed itself the VERY DAY that the problem reared its ugly head.

I might not be a Vista expert, but common sense says AIM is the likely cause.

Note: Viewpoint wont uninstall properly because it's not Vista compatible yet.  I had the same issue.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 12:20 AM
  • A reinstall is not necessary. Obviously it's registry/service-related. All we need is a patch...but it may be a matter of time until one is developed.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 12:27 AM
  • I'm not so sure about just a patch.

After the problem occured, I compared my Vista install to a spacecraft in a decaying orbit.  With every restart and each day other issues showed up.  It was like the install was slowly decaying, piece by piece.  I'm not exagerating.  I would have loved to wait for a patch, but I could not risk a crash and losing information.  And since this is the only place in the known Universe where the issue is being addressed, God only knows how long it will take for a fix from whoever.

Regardless, the only fix right now is to reinstall Vista.  I don't believe installing OVER a current install will necessarily work, that's why I recommend a complete new install.

Has anyone bothered sending a link to this forum thread to AOL techs or their 6.0 Beta Team?

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 12:36 AM
  • Well I'm speaking of the type of patch where it would not only prevent the issue, but fix it as well...sorta like a hotfix.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 12:43 AM
  • I just went to the AIM Beta Testers Chit Chat on AOL and posted a thread with a link back to TechNet.  Hopefully AOL will be made aware of the issue if they're not already.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 12:52 AM
  • even if AOL is made aware of the issue, it's Microsoft that has been neglecting our claims for the past month and a half...  
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 12:56 AM
  • I had the same problem and I've NEVER had AIM or Viewpoint installed on the machine. I ended up reinstalling Vista, for the THIRD time, and slowly reinstalling all my applications to see if one of them was suspect.  So far, everything works...but it may only be a matter of time. Somebody at Microsoft should take this seriously.  Reinstalling the OS isn't much of fix.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 1:00 AM
  • I think I'll reinstall and try to duplicate the error. At least that way I can track down exactly what program is causing it. I believe it's AIM as well. Now I'm going to find out.

Watch everything work this time. :P
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 1:34 PM
  • Although, I just realized that I did have ANOTHER program installed.
    Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition 10.

I throw that out there in case it's another common program we are all using....
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 1:53 PM
  • I to have an E1505....

I have not yet tried to uninstall aim 6.x or viewpoint media player.   However if you want to get rid of the administrator nag screens go to control panel -> users and passwords (or something like that) and find the User Access Control option and disable it!   rock on!

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 5:22 PM
  • Hi all,

I did some digging and found out that viewpoint does not have it's own uninstall program which is why add/remove pgms craps out- you have to do it manually. (Reg keys, remove the folders in program files, yadda yadda)  Unfortuantely manually removing it did not help (although it did remove itself from my add/remove programs list) I also double checked msconfig and my background services to make sure it wasn't still popping up.

I also have SAV CE installed.  I had AIM 6 installed when this first started - it's now removed.  I have all the same items installed on my home system as I do at work, yet only my work laptop is having the issue.   Any chance it's laptop related as opposed to workstation?  what is everyone using?  I'm getting desperate. I've given myself until Friday to resolve, then I'm reinstalling Vista.  If it comes back again, then it's back to XP for me.

Has anyone who has done a fresh reinstall had this issue re-occur? 

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 5:39 PM
  • I too am using a Dell D820 laptop, received new on 12/1, the same day I installed Vista.

I would say it's unlikely to be related or limited to a particular type of machine.  Laptops do have wireless cards in common, which most desktops do not, but again it's highly unlikely.  I still believe AIM is the probably cause.

I know it's not from simply installing AIM though, as I installed it on 12/18 but didnt use it until 2 days before the error occured.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:04 PM
  • Hey,

Ive been reading this thread cause I have the same or similar problem. I'm not as knowledgeable as you guys seems to be but can generally follow the discussion. I'm still running vista beta due to lack of funds at the moment, and this happend to me two days ago. My downloads seemed to be disappearing from the desktop as they finished (which turned out to be IE crapping out and cancelling them) as none of my video/audio files would play. Vista suggested my sound drive was the problem (realtek AC'97). I updated my sound drivers to a vista release, and things seemed mostly functional except for the task bar icon not recognizing the network. I had recently, about a week ago, had aim 6 crap out on me; it just wouldnt connect tot he server. I put old aim on and worked fine, and after I had finished this sound problem I put new aim back to test it and it seems fine. After reading through this thread I was content that evertyhing was working and would continue to check back to see if the problem had been solved. Just to add, Im not sure what kind of windows games you play, but this problem wont let me play unreal tournament 2004, as the game doesn't know I have internet and wont even try to look for servers. WoW seems fine, but I havent tried anything else yet. Ill try to get retail vista within the next week or so, so hopefully a fresh install will solve it. I will continue to check back and let you know if I figure anything out. Good luck and thanks.

-nik

*hl2.exe also started failing when I try to launch counterstrike: source. bah.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:31 PM
  • Although it may seem that it has to do with Dell...and I kinda wish it did because I hate them now lol...it shouldn't matter what type of system you are running. I'm running a full retail copy of my OS, and I did NOT get it from Dell, so it's not a Dell-based OS, so I know it's not Dell that's causing the issue. As for the wireless card, my system doesn't have that either, so that can't be a factor for this, atleast for the most part. It is also not Norton because, like I said in the past few sentences, I don't have it. It seems we have narrowed it down to AOL's products. As for whoever said the installed the newest version of AIM and didn't get this error, you're pretty **** lucky. That's exactly what I installed and I got the error. :P
    As for ViewPoint Media Player, if it has no uninstaller, and isn't uninstalled along with AIM, then we have a problem here. AOL needs to release an uninstaller A.S.A.P. before someone sues them for claiming their software is mal-ware, since it did in fact install another program without knowledge or permission of the user(s).

Lastly, for the Microsoft basher that said MS is neglecting this, just calm the **** down. MS is releasing a whole ****-load of updates, patches, and hotfixes in March that they've been working on since before the release of Vista. If AIM or MS doesn't come forward with a fix soon we're just going to have to wait and see what happens in March. You may think this is a huge deal and MS needs to fix it A.S.A.P., but not only would it be a third party issue, but MS also has bigger bugs to fix at the moment. Remember this, just because MS releases updates and fixes for bugs on their system for free, doesn't mean they have to. No where in the license of the product does it say that you get all the updates and bugs fixed when you buy it. MS provides updates and fixes for free because they care about their products and their customers, so next time you wanna get pissed at MS, don't. Get pissed at the guys who made the program that ****ed up your computer.

I know that didn't help the situation much physically, ...or virtually lol..., but it'll hopefully atleast help you guys calm down. Now on to the real issue at hand. We do know it's AOL's products that are causing the issue, but has anyone been able to re-create the issue without ANY AOL-based or Plaxo-based products on their system? If so, it's important that you tell us now.
    Technical info: Is anyone else's Windows Explorer window freezing when attempting to open the Networking And Share Center? Also, is EVERYONE else's computer rating advisor missing from the main computer properties window as well? Has anyone attempted and successfully removed ViewPoint Media Player, and if so, is the error gone? Does AIM or AIM Pro still work after the removal? Check the properties for ViewPoint Media Player and make sure it's officially AOL's and not a third party app, such as Plaxo. Whoever said they created a thread on AOL's forums, make sure you mention ViewPoint Media Player in it so they know that is also a possibility for the problem. And my last sentence before I go: Can you please link us to the AOL thread you made from here?

(Jeez...too much needed to be written...)
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:35 PM
  • Well, I've spent the last few days trying to fix this bugger and I've come across some interesting things.

Firstly: I have freshly reinstalled and have EVERYTHING installed and configured that I did before EXCEPT AIM. So far so good. But It's only been running a few hours now.

Secondly:
    I tried some XP repairing tricks for similar errors outlined on this web page: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-531768.php
    And in great detail on this Web page:
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win32.programmer.wmi/msg/1da6ab3690bc75a0

These did not help me. But I encourage those of you with troubles to try these just the same to see if it fixes your woes. In any event, I did come across some interesting things while doing this.

1) On the second web page he talks about reinstalling all the *.mof files in \windows\system32\wbem\ folder. I was unable to do this as I couldn't find their location on my Vista DVD. It's possible they're in the *.wim file which i didn't care to track down and figure out how to expand.

2) When attempting to reregister certain dlls, I got an error code 0x80070716 for hnetcfg.dll.

3) Obviously, as we all now know, the Network List Service won't run, it returns an error of not enough resources.

4) Even though winmgmt service is running, it DOES NOT have an ID in the tasklist, whether using tasklist.exe or tlist.exe (for those of you who remember this program, also mentioned and used in the second web page). Thusly, I have no way of knowing the process ID it's assigned in the registry actually matches it's real process ID.

*5) The Logs directory at \Windows\System32\wbem\Logs contains various logs of this service. One specific Log, the WMITracing.log, has LOST OWNERSHIP. This prevents anyone, even the system from writing to the file. The owner is SUPPOSED to be System. However, no owner is displayed. As a result, you can't take ownership of this file or give it to someone else. NOT EVEN THE ADMINISTRATOR (by name) was able to do this. Fun. What makes this doubly strange is that I deleted the file in safe mode, and when I rebooted the system had recreated it and promptly lost ownership and rights to it again.

6) Whether related or not, if you reboot the system after destroying the \windows\system32\wbem\repository directory, if you quickly go to check your performance index, it says it can't be displayed and offers a link to recalculate it. Shortly there after, the link disappears. Not sure if this is related or not, just something I noticed.

Well, I'm sorry I couldn't be a bigger help right now. But I'll see how long the system goes before troubles arise again. For the moment, as I've stated, no AIM is installed. OR ANY INSTANT MESSENGER PROGRAM. I'll be using www.meebo.com in the meantime. hehe

I hope something in there will trigger someone else's mind on their search.

Cheers!
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 7:53 PM
  • Network List Service won't run because it has certain requirements to run, and since WMI doesn't display that information, the service thinks it's 0 and so it doesn't run.  
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 10:09 PM
  • As I had indicated previously, I never had AIM, Viewpoint or any other IM installed on the box and I had all the same symptoms, red X, no rating in the advisor and network and sharing center would freeze and be useless.  It's not a Dell box, it's a Gateway core2duo, on a wired network so no laptop or wireless issues.  The last (3rd) reinstall of Vista has fixed things so far.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 10:15 PM
  • Can you give me the exact path and name of all the files ownership was lost to, as well as any known registry keys? I may be able to work on it if I can get that information.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 10:20 PM
  • Here's the AOL link to their beta forum...

http://messageboards.aol.com/aol/en_us/articles.php?boardId=567777&func=3&channel=People%20Connection

You may have to sign-in with an AOL or AIM account to view the board.

I didnt post too much there about the problem, but would probably be a good idea if you did.

Also, there's a thread on their board about a similar issue, it may be related to what we're seeing.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 10:44 PM
  • Replied And Submitted A Bug Report.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:36 PM
  • I was having this problem as well, including really slow system startup.  After seeing this forum, I uninstalled AIM 6.0, and noticed ViewPoint had been installed yesterday... conveniently enough, that's when my problem started.  So, I uninstalled that as well.  After that, I did a System Restore back to the day before yesterday... Computer re-started, and everything works like a charm. (y)
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 5:19 AM
  •  SugarDx wrote:
    Can you give me the exact path and name of all the files ownership was lost to, as well as any known registry keys? I may be able to work on it if I can get that information.

Unfortunately, not anymore at the moment. I reinstalled the system. I'm actually trying to break it again.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 2:12 PM
  • It's cool-if you find them out just post them up! :D 
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 11:22 PM
  • I found this interesting about Viewpoint Media Player...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viewpoint_Media_Player

I'm looking for a list of other software that installs this player, I'm sure AOL is not the only one.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 11:39 PM
  • "Malware claims

Viewpoint is commonly installed with AIM without the explicit consent of the user because it is considered to be a required package.

VMP is sometimes considered to be spyware because the license agreement states that the software collects information about users' interactions with advertisements and the browser and operating system in use. This information is reported to Viewpoint's customers, and is delivered with a unique identifying code. Again, this information is sent without any notification to the end user."

I think AOL owes us an explanation...
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 11:54 PM
  • AIM isn't the problem chuckleme don't jump to any conclusions

Friday, February 23, 2007 12:21 AM
  • AIM seems to be the common thread.  It must be at minimum a contributing factor, or have something in common with another software package that causes the issue.

Can you offer another explanation?

At least 2 of us had AIM and the Viewpoint Media Player was installed without permission on the very day the problem occured.  Seems rather odd to me.

Friday, February 23, 2007 3:15 AM
  • AIM or one of it's components is the problem. I know ur trying to bash Vista and I don't give a ****, go do it somewhere else.
    Friday, February 23, 2007 3:17 AM
  • Same problem, Dell e1405, Windows Vista Home premium, "unknown - Server execution failed", not playing mp3 files, can't see Windows Experience Index, has AIM 5.9 installed.

I fixed it via system restore, then it happened again (red x on network icon) when I restarted the system without disconnecting the internet connection first. Did another system restore, and uninstalled Viewpoint Media Player.

I hope somebody is already working on a patch for this.
    Friday, February 23, 2007 10:18 AM
  • I noticed, while trying to "break" another Vista installation, that even though Viewpoint Media player is installed by AIM, it IS possible to uninstall the player. Just goto add / remove programs and remove it.

However, I couldn't do that before, after I had broken Vista the first time, as has been detailed by others in this thread.

For the time being, my system has been running nearly flawlessly with the exception of one crash, cause unknown. I think it's time to put AIM back on and see what happens.
    Friday, February 23, 2007 2:35 PM
  • Does AIM even use ViewPoint Media Player for anything other than advertisements? Will it run without it? I wonder if it's being caused by a combination of the two when they're running...
    Friday, February 23, 2007 9:00 PM
  • greetings all-

I've been out of the loop for a while, but it seems that everyone is trashing on AOL/AIM. My problem was with AIM 5.9, but it is true that I had GoogleTalk and other messengers installed as well.

After the more than well known 'server execution failed' stuff, I rolled back safely via System Restore.

Granted I've repeated this, I want to point out that at least for me, AIM 6.0 is working fine and didn't kill my system, though it seems it is hit or miss for some of you other guys. I don't know about all this Viewpoint stuff...

What interests me is what would compel the Network List Service to just DIE on us and give us the Error 1450 Insufficient Resources thingy.

Something is inhibiting or tricking this service into thinking it cannot run.

We've listed possible suspects that may have made this thing stop, but how can we get it running again?

It's ridiculous to not be able to run WIndows Live or AIM just because of this. These are common programs that people use ALL THE TIME.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 6:00 AM
  • Have you got this fixed yet.  i feel the problem lies here.  Not with AIM.  I noticed this problem started right around the time a expanded a partition.  Were you working with your partitions lately?  Thank you for any help you can provide.

I too get the 1450 error.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 6:00 PM
  • Some services use WMI to calculate system resources, since WMI is not working, these services can not calculate whether your system meets the minimum requirements to start the service. That's what makes Network List Service not start.
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 9:35 PM
  • Very true.
    We need a way though to get it running correctly again, as well as preventing this issue in the future.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 2:57 AM
  • much thanks, dazed.

so it's down to why instant messangers kills WMI, now is it?

Monday, February 26, 2007 5:01 AM
  • The problem may not be instant messenger, at least not by itself.
    I'm still trying to break this installation again. I've been using AIM since my last post without any issues (version 5.9). However, I uninstalled viewpoint media player before using it. So... Perhaps a combination of the two?

Doesn't AIM use the player to display those annoying streaming video commercials in the top of the buddy list window?

I guess it's time to put viewpoint media player back in.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 2:32 PM
  • I've the same problem, but I have no AIM installed and I don't want to play media files. It's a fresh install, only VisualStudio2005 is installed.
    It seems to be a security issue with the WMI, which results in the following:
    "The Network List Service service terminated with the following error:
    Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service."

In the Comp. mgmt > Services and Apps > WMI Control Properties:
    Win32_Processor: Win32: Access is denied
    Win32_OperatingSystem: Win32: Access is denied

System restore doesn't help.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 3:08 PM
  • I agree about IM.  I'm starting to wonder if this isn't some file/app permission issue.  For what its worth, my problem showed up right after I resized one of my partitions.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 3:44 PM
  • I have the exact same Dell and I'm getting the same error. It's really bugging me even tho the network is still working... *sigh*
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 2:06 AM
  • I managed to find an XP solution that resolves the Vista WMI issue.

My WMi is working fine now, the network icon is working and WMI properties displays correctly.

The above fix errors on one of the dll's but otherwise works fine. Credit to the Author. Where they state to kill/stop the WMI process can be replaced with a simple stop / start of the Service through the service control panel. Some might want to experiment running as a shared service and reporting back. I am taking a break from weeks of detective work and leaving my PC alone for a while to try and introduce some stability. My stability index started at -2 and is now 6.7 and rising.  One thing at a time.

My network list service starts service starts fine.

CAVEATS

The above solutuion involes adding the Network Service account to the local Administrators group. Hard to swallow but better than my previous state of affairs.

IMHO, UAC, permissions and general Security in Vista are poorly implemented, poorly documented and frustrating to an experienced home user. They have a product that runs fine out of the box, but try and do anything fancy such as tinkering, tailoring or tightening/loosening up and the whole thing breaks. The online help facility linked into events and errors is nearly always a dead end else hoplessly vague. What we had with XP was a homebrew V8 for petrolheads, Vista is a Barbie Pink Ferrari with a bonnet that can't be opened.

Hope this helps, I certainly shared the frustrations of many of the posters here.

Hurry up with Vista SP1 please MS !!

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 7:15 PM
  • Please read my previous reply to the WMI issues.

It refers to this link which solves teh WMI security issue.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 7:18 PM
  • Yes, I saw this on my google searches and actually referenced it here as well. A wonderful piece of work. Unfortunately, it didn't solve my issues under Vista.

Anyone else have any luck with this method?
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 8:58 PM
  • It didn't work on Vista.  
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 9:11 PM
  • Sorry to hear that... Did all the steps work ?

I have Vista Ultimate and it worked for me.... Strangely though, only after a few restarts... I thought it had failed at first.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 9:18 PM
  • I have a Toshiba laptop running XP SP2. On Sunday, I upgraded to Vista Ultimate (did NOT do a clean install, just upgrade). After spending at least 40 hours, got every thing working correctly. Then out of the blues, the same problem showed up (Server execution failed). Now, I don't have a Dell, it is a Toshiba. I am NOT running AIM or any AOL stuff. After giving up trying to fix it myself, I was able to talk to MS Tech. Yesterday morning, I spent close to 4 hours with one of them. He managed to solve part of the problem, The "Server execution failed" was gone and the Network & Sharing Center was back working (not freezing anymore). However, a new message replaced the "Server execution faild" appeared when you hover the mouse on the network icon. The new message said something like there is a conflict where two processes are starting in the same services (can't remember exactly). Apparently, the new problem relates to a specific service "Network List service" which refuses to start (see services). The first tech could not solve it and he elevated the issue to his research team. A second tech called me yesterday evening and worked with me for another hour or so. He could not resolve it either. In the process, my "Server execution failed" came back and the Network & Sharing Center is again frozen. He promised to consult with his higher ups and call me back with a resolution. While I did appreciate their fantastic effort, I am not at all thrilled with Vista or Microsoft.

The moral of the story, it is a Vista bug and not AIM or another prgram. I think MS are now seriously looking at it and let's hope thay can find the culprit. Thank you for the great info in this thread.  

Thursday, March 01, 2007 5:36 PM
  • I have the same problem. Network connection X'd out, AIM 5.9 installed, and media not playing. I installed AIM a while ago and the Viewpoint player installed on the same day.  It may be the problem, but it could also be a coincidence, with AIM being such a popular program.  This is becoming a widespread problem that NEEDS to get fixed soon.
    Saturday, March 03, 2007 12:22 AM
  • Agreed. AOL and Microsoft better do something soon before people start suing lol...
    Sunday, March 04, 2007 9:53 AM
  • FIXED!

At least for me.  I had already taken care of the multimedia issue by reinstalling the Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy 2 drivers, but I still had all of the network issues described in this forum.  To finally fix the network problems all I did was add the Local Service account to the Administrators group.  I'm sure there is some particular file access or registry key access issue that I could have fixed directly and maybe I'll try to find the particular corrupted security setting at a later date.  Just in case you need it here are the steps I took...

>>Right click "Computer"
    >>Click "Manage"
    >>Double click "Users and Groups"
    >>Click "Groups"
    >>Right click "Administrators"
    >>Click "Add to group..."
    >>Click "Add"
    >>Click "Advanced"
    >>Click "Find Now"
    >>Double click "Local Service"
    >>Click "Ok"
    >>"NT Authority\Local Service" should show up in the list now
    >>Click "Ok"
    >>Close Computer Management and reboot.

Hopefully this will fix it for everyone.  If anyone finds the exact file(s) or registry key(s) that needed the permissions modified I'd be interested to know.

Sunday, March 04, 2007 5:11 PM
  • IT WORKS!!! Thank you!
    Sunday, March 04, 2007 6:38 PM
  • Gah, the steps can't be done on Vista Home Premium and lower. The Users and Groups snap-in isn't there, and can't be added on Vista Starter, Home, or Home Premium. The only way to add administrators is through the control panel, and it only lists users created, not the Local Service.

Bleh :(
    Sunday, March 04, 2007 7:53 PM
  • Found an error in that!
    It should be the following, unless your computer is just different:

>>Right click "Computer"
    >>Click "Manage"
    >>Under the "System Tools" section, Double click "Local Users and Groups"
    >>Click "Groups"
    >>Click "Add"
    >>Click "Advanced"
    >>Click "Find Now"
    >>Double click "Local Service"
    >>Click "Ok"
    >>Click "Ok"

Testing it now-hopefully it works! :D
    Great job man!
    Sunday, March 04, 2007 8:11 PM
  • ATTENTION EVERYONE!
    THANK BLUESHOT FOR SAVING THE DAY! I just tested this and it officially works! I'll post this fix in a few other places to make sure no one gets left out. :)
    All credit goes to BlueShot!
    Sunday, March 04, 2007 8:28 PM
  • <3 you blueshot.
    Sunday, March 04, 2007 11:11 PM
  • Thanks blueshot that fixed it right up;  saved me a reformat so thank you very much

I also found that some other services were affected by this bug, which can be fixed by adding both Local service and Service to the administrative group.

Monday, March 05, 2007 6:14 AM
  • This definitely narrows tings down a lot :) However, I have to cast a vote for the Home Premium users. Sadly, I also cannot use this fix. Is there any other way that these services can be added to the administrative group?
    Monday, March 05, 2007 7:00 AM
  • Amazing fix...

for you home users, i bet there is a way to use the command line to add the user to the group....

start with: http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/bbc58f6d-5283-4da2-9fc4-703503803fbd1033.mspx?mfr=true

that might point you in the right direction!!??

Monday, March 05, 2007 7:28 AM
  • Yes, I read that somewhere for Windows XP error but didn't think to try it on Vista, thanks  
    Monday, March 05, 2007 12:05 PM
  • It doesn't fix WMI, how can we do the same for WMI?  
    Monday, March 05, 2007 12:19 PM
  • You're right.  I still can't view system info, etc.  The thing is that I ran the WMI fix described in a previous post (which didn't help the networking or the WMI).  So now I'm not really sure if WMI wouldn't have been fixed had I not messed with it in the first place.  Did anyone not do that WMI fix but change the security settings?  If so, does WMI now work?  Also, I'm not all that familiar with the Home versions of Microsoft's OSs but perhaps you can modify the user accounts via safe mode.  I don't have a machine with a Home version of either XP or Vista to test on but it's probably worth a try.
    Monday, March 05, 2007 3:05 PM
  • From command prompt as administrator :

net localhost Administrators /add Local Service

then do a :

net localhosts Administrator

and NT Local Service should be listed.  Reboot and all is well.

Completely fizxed my problem - I can go into network and sharing center without hangs and I can change network options - Oh Boy !!!

I did NOT run the WMI fix detailed below and all seems to work fine!!!

Good Luck!!

Scott

Monday, March 05, 2007 5:53 PM
  • I have lost many hours of sleep trying to resolve this problem. YOU SAVED THE DAY. I just tested it on Vista Ultimate upgrade and it worked like a charm. Thank you, thank you and thank you. I have a telephone appointment scheduled with Microsoft Tech this evening (this will be the 3rd time, already spent 4 hours with them to resolve this issue). With your permission, I would like to pass your FIX of this issue to them. Perhaps thay can help those who are not members of this forum.

Best luck, wishes, thanks and all.

Mike

Monday, March 05, 2007 6:51 PM
  • Worked great.  Thank you for saving me a few hours this weekend.  At one point I though I was working on my linux box. :)
    Tuesday, March 06, 2007 2:27 AM
  • Has there been a solution yet to the problem of WMI. I still get the error "cannot access the Windows Management Instrumentation software. Windows Management files may be moved or missing". Any help with this issue please?

Mike 

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 5:46 PM
  • fixed the network browsing issue,

BUT

i still cant remote desktop into my vista enterprise.

any solution for that ? it was working fine, then this all happened. applied the fix you guys recently posted. that solved network thing but not remote desktop.

can you guys try to remote desktop into your computer and see if that problem is there for you too.

Thanks

Thursday, March 08, 2007 3:10 PM
  • ^ Did you try to eliminate then totally "reconfigure" all things to do with remote desktop?

Are the RDP services working?

What exactly is the issue? (I'm guessing you've tried all the usual troubleshooting stuff) This issue may no longer be related to this thread.

http://weblogs.asp.net/astopford/archive/2006/02/28/439240.aspx

Friday, March 09, 2007 3:12 AM
  • yea tried everything related to rdp. closed firewall, enabled rdp, tried less secure client option, but doesnt connect form inside or outside of network.

was working fine when i installed vista , then suddenly stopped working and i realized i have same network problems as people here. also somebody else posted rdp not working..

tried to do everything again for rdp..but nothing works

Friday, March 09, 2007 5:51 AM
  • These steps don't work for me for some reason.

>>Right click "Computer"
    >>Click "Manage"
    >>Double click "Users and Groups"
    >>Click "Groups"
    >>Click "Add"
    >>Click "Advanced"
    >>Click "Find Now"
    >>Double click "Local Service"
    >>Click "Ok"
    >>Click "Ok"

When I click manage, the window that shows up doesn't have anything that says "Users and Groups." I can't get past this step, and therefore can't fix the problem. I can't go through the command prompt either, as the net command isn't working. Please help!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm using Windows Home Premium, and User Account Control happens to be turned off. Even with it on, I don't see the group section in the manage window.
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 9:33 PM
  •  JLarkin wrote:
    These steps don't work for me for some reason.
    <snip>I'm using Windows Home Premium<snip>

try this solution posted above:

SWAndersen wrote:

From command prompt as administrator :

then do a :

net localhosts Administrator

and NT Local Service should be listed. Reboot and all is well.

<snip>

Scott

Monday, March 12, 2007 5:09 AM
  • I'm running Vista Home Basic, in which localhost was not available.  I had success with the following:
    • Boot Windows to Safe Mode.
    • From the command prompt, enter net localgroup Administrators LocalService /add
    • Verify using net localgroup Administrators
    • Restart Windows normally.
    This would work for me only in Safe Mode.  It seems to have fixed the network and media issues.  However, now I find that my Guest user account won't startup fully -- don't know if it's related to what I did.
    Monday, March 12, 2007 9:54 AM
  •  paul.a wrote:
    I'm running Vista Home Basic, in which localhost was not available. I had success with the following:
    • From the command prompt, enter net localgroup Administrators LocalService /add
    This would work for me only in Safe Mode. It seems to have fixed the network and media issues. However, now I find that my Guest user account won't startup fully -- don't know if it's related to what I did.

fixed my "connection status unknown" problem.  great work.  thanks a bunch.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:16 AM
  •  Tool2Die4 wrote:
    paul.a wrote:
    I'm running Vista Home Basic, in which localhost was not available. I had success with the following:
    This would work for me only in Safe Mode. It seems to have fixed the network and media issues. However, now I find that my Guest user account won't startup fully -- don't know if it's related to what I did.

fixed my "connection status unknown" problem. great work. thanks a bunch.

Worked for me too. Thanks a lot!
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 12:03 PM
  • I had the same problem. It took me a while to remember all the updates and changes ect. i had made to my computer when it started happening. When reading through the 10 pages of posts i came across one that asked if disabling UAC was the problem.
    This got me to remembering. When i had UAC enabled everytime i started AIM after a minute or so i would get an alert that Aim was attempting to execute a process (im assuming viewpoint mediaplayer). I would always cancel it because aim would always work fine without it before it launched. But a while ago I disabled UAC and sometime after that i logged on to AIM. Without the UAC it must have just executed the process and installed viewpoint. The restart after this is when i started experiencing this crap.
    All i did was do a systm restore back to before i turned off UAC and then uninstalled all of my AIM and AOL junk. Its been running fine since.

Edit:  Forgot.  I'm Running Vista Home Premium on Dell comp.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:26 PM
  • Ah, good call. That's probably exactly what's doing it. Too bad I can't back up that far... I've installed so much stuff since the problem cropped up... Dammit.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 9:31 PM
  • I've tried rebuilding the Repository by using "net stop winmgmt; delete Repository folder; net start winmgmt" and I've also added LocalService, as above, but my WMI still isn't working properly... this is on Vista Home Premium...

Yes I have AOL & Viewpoint Mediaplayer installed..

At this point I dunno what to do, maybe reinstall Vista?   Any other suggestions?

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 8:01 PM
  • Ahh, figured it out. 

First, I ran the WMIDiag script and it told me some registry keys were missing... so I added those...

I eventually got to the section where it recommended restoring the Repository folder with a fresh one from the Vista install disk.  But I couldn't find it in there...

Luckily Dell has a backup partition (D:) which has a backup of all the system files, so I copied the Repository folder from there, and WMI is now working!

I've decided to leave those other fixes as they are, left those "missing" registry keys in there, and left the LocalService in the Administrators group...

Now my Norton Antivirus is acting up... (it's been acting up for a couple of days now...) ugh...

Jason

Thursday, March 15, 2007 12:18 AM
  • Thanks god for you guys. Still trying to figure out the WMI thing though.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:08 AM
  • Hi, that fixed my network issues but I am still having the same issues with remote desktop.  Despite all the services and whatnot being enabled, I am still not listening on port 3389.  Any one have any ideas?
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 4:07 AM
  • At the moment I have two user accounts that still work under Vista Ultimate. Same issues as mentioned by others in this thread: Network List Service errors in Event Viewer, unable to create new user accounts that actually work, Windows Vista Experience Index ratings have disappeared etc.

If this really is a common problem experienced by many users, I would say that Vista has been launched way too early and that the service pack should arrive really soon!!! This is even worse than the launch of XP!

I'm not thinking of reinstalling as this is just the second week the OS has been installed on my PC. What a disgrace... .

Thursday, March 15, 2007 8:32 PM
  • I've had Vista Ultimate installed on my home computer since it came out in Feb, but just today the problem (red x, server execution failed, access denied) appeared. In addition, my system was generally way slower than usual, and my sound (Audigy 4) quit working.

Putting LocalService in Admin fixed the network (and slugishness) problem, but I'll probably have to reinstall my sound drivers for the audigy. Here's some items of note:

1. I do have a TV Tuner card
    2. I do have Firefox 2
    3. I don't have AIM or any IM on this machine (never have had).
    4. I haven't installed any software (other than Windows Updates) on this machine in the last 2 weeks.
    5. The problem appeared after my computer lost power unexpectedly (my UPS must be bad).

Now, here's something interesting...
    Over the last two days at work I've been trying to identify and fix a weird problem regarding permissions on my XP Pro box. On this particular problem, my .NET Framework 2.0 was hosed royally. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling many times, trying various internet fixes all the while. No matter what I did, I kept getting an access denied error at a certain part of the install.

On a whim, I reset ownership of the entire filesystem back to the Administrators group - which fixed the problem.

My suspicions are these:
    1. A windows update recently went out that changes security in some way that's causing these problems (both the one that is the topic of this thread, and the one I described at work on XP).

-or-

2. The problem is occurring as the result of file/registry corruption - particularly corruption that would affect security settings. This would be supported by the fact that reinstalling Vista seems to correct the problem.

At any rate, having 2 major security related issues pop up on two different machines at the same time seems pretty odd to me - and the only thing those two things share (other than the user) is Firefox 2, .NET Framework 2.0, and Windows Update.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 2:21 AM
  • There's a command in XP for resetting security permissions on files and registry keys but I don't know what the corresponding command is in Vista.

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose

secedit is still there but the security catalog and templates aren't the same. You can also use subinacl to reset registry perms but there are groups/users like Restricted and msiserver on some keys and I don't think it would be wise to reset the whole registry with only system and administrators.

Sunday, April 01, 2007 2:43 AM
  • Well, I managed to find a security template that I could use, but I'm not sure if it's the proper/best one. defltwk.inf is a template that's also in xp/2k so I  thought I would give it a shot, seeing that I couldn't find a secsetup.inf. It has a date of 6/21/06 so I assumed it would've been updated for Vista.

I backed up my registry with ERUNT first and ran the following in a cmd window (in c:\Users\Admin):

secedit /configure /DB secedit.sdb /CFG %systemroot%\inf\defltwk.inf /log secedit.log /verbose

First run I got a critical error and it quit. The log showed it to be hklm\software\Licenses so I checked the perms and there were none. I added Administrators manually and system, users and creator owner were added automatically (inherited).

I ran the command again and got another error - this time on hklm\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\Run. Again there were no perms so I added them as before and ran the command again. This time, the registry processing completed, although there were still quite a few errors, most on HKLM\software\classes (there were no subkeys listed so I'm not sure if the problem was with specific classes). There were many file errors as well, mostly on old xp style paths such as c:\windows\repair but most of these were likely irrelevant to the problem anyway so it's probably not a big deal. I rebooted and immediately got the startup sound so I knew that part of the problem was fixed. My Uptime and Ping sidebar gadgets also worked. The network connnected icon seemed a little slow coming around but it did after a minute or so. I rebooted again and got the same results so everything appears to be fixed.

Sunday, April 01, 2007 4:16 AM
  • Turns out they never included the security templates with Vista. You can get them here: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74028

EDIT: These don't reset the file and registry permissions so they won't work. Back to the hunt...

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 9:17 AM
  • After all the research and such today, I found no real answer. Although it was a bit of a pain. I reinstalled Vista over top if itself (Repair / Upgrade) and it resolved the issues for WMI and the red X in the Task bar.

I would have liked to have know MS was actually looking into and going to do something about, but I couldn't wait that long. So, I'n the meantime, if you want to just install your O.S. over itself, it will fix you up,

Best of luck. Ill check back from time to time to see if another fix was posted but this will do for now.

-Fuel
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 5:16 AM
  • If you can find the proper default security template, that will solve your problem. Although there were a number of errors, the defltwk.inf template does work and hasn't caused any problems so far.
    Friday, April 13, 2007 8:29 AM
  • I have a brand new Dell laptop that came with Vista Ultimate. The network worked good for a while. After a Windows update I rebooted the computer and voila! The network is gone and I get this error. Since then on, I can only connect to the wireless networks that I had set up before.

I can't believe Microsoft is not providing a patch for this. This is taking forever and my whole productivity is down because of this stupid problem.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 3:34 PM
  • I had same problem when I installed ViewPoint Media Player. That software created lot of problems. I applied below fix and it looks like my system is stable again (Windows Visata Home Premium).

Tool2Die4 wrote:
    paul.a wrote:

I am still concerned if the viewpoint has deleted any important system files. My System Restore didn't work after uninstalling ViewPoint. I strongly discourage installing ViewPoint software!

Sunday, April 22, 2007 6:08 PM
  • just wanted to say that the above method, where you go into the command prompt (home premium edition here) and add Local Service to the administrators group worked great for me, it not only fixed the red x, but also the sound and missing system info on the computer properties screen.  I would like to point out that you should use localgroup instead of what was originally said (must have been a typo).

Since we seem to have a fix, does anyone know what the problem was, or why on earth this is a fix for all these seemingly unrelated problems?  Just seems like a really strange problem.  Oh, also I just installed viewpoint today to look at a 360 of a honda, but I haven't installed any IM programs on my computer.  I suppose this is pointing more towards viewpoint.

Anyways, thanks again for the solution!!  It was really driving me bonkers (yes I said bonkers)
    Monday, April 23, 2007 6:30 AM
  • I did a search on the internet for this particular error. I used the suggested solution and it work. If this has already been posted, I apologize for the reposting, if not I hope it works for those having problems with it in the forum. Thanks.

http://support.celeratec.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=70

Monday, April 30, 2007 1:35 AM
  •  

I've just 'saved as' in My Documents a U.S. Court of Appeals Opinion from a few years ago whereby people like Aol & Netscape were suing Microsoft over bundling IE to it's

systems and screwing up/slowing down other internet access providers and search companies and creating it's own Java Virtual Machine etc. I found it on the same page

as this site and it answers a lot of your questions   ... and mine...... I always assumed I had done something wrong all the time! Hope this helps. Bye. Rona

Sunday, May 06, 2007 6:33 PM
  • I am running Ultimate and I installed only one program that could have caused this behavior.

I installed Symantec Ghost version 12 and it would not complete the installation after reboot and gave me a E1AD3212 error along with a permissions error. Uninstall and a restore both failed to remedy the situation. I found nothing about this on Symantec's web site and lucked onto this. The above instructions worked perfectly and I would like to say thanks because I was almost ready to do a reinstall which I dreaded. Anyway, nice job in coming up with the solution but I am dismayed with how many other programs may have caused the same problem and I hope Microsoft takes care of this and corrects the restore process so that is backs up and restores the user's and permissions. This is a serious oversight on their part.

Thanks again,

Burton Crawford

Sunday, May 06, 2007 10:07 PM
  • I, too, am using Vista Business (32-bit) from my college's MDSN subscription.

Adding 'NT Authority\Local Service' to the Administrators group does not fix the problem for me. All other symptoms seem to be the same. I have had both Aim 6.0 and 5.9 installed at one point, as well as that steaming pile of dung known as Viewpoint Media Player (uninstall didn't work; I did a filesystem and registry search for 'viewpoint' and deleted everything found). I still have Firefox 2, Daemon Tools, Paragon Partition Manager 8.5 and CloneCD installed. I have never had any antivirus installed.

I don't have any time to investigate further right now, since I'm trying to be ready to pass all my finals this Thursday and Friday. I'll spend some time next week trying to fix this, but I'm not too confident I'll figure it out. I'm hoping someone else makes progress before then Smile
    Wednesday, May 09, 2007 3:03 AM
  • Microsoft is addressing this problem as we speak, if you add the 'NT Authority\Local Service' and still does not work, I'll recommend using the following:

1. Use system restore to roll back before the install of any AIM.

2. Do a search on any left-over AIM folders and dir, if it exist, delete it.

3. Complete the process of adding 'NT Authority\Local Service' to Local Users and Groups before installing AIM.

4. Install AIM 5.9.3 only (not the 5.9.6 or the 6.0)

Let me know if this works, if not there is a patch I obtain from the MSDN support group that may able to help your problem, this patch will also be include within the upcoming update around summer. Thanks for your patients.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 9:18 AM
  • As I and a couple of others mentioned, I don't have (and have never had) AIM or anything from AOL installed on my computers. So that in and of itself eliminates AIM as a cause.

But hey, addressing the problem is half the battle, so kudos there.
    Wednesday, May 09, 2007 12:01 PM
  • I can't do a roll-back, since the system restore messed up in a freakish way. under the "system protection" tab is a list of all the permanent drives in the system. somehow, I had two listings for drive c:, one labeled "VISTA (C: ) (Missing)" that was checked and one labeled "VISTA (C: ) (System)" that was not checked. all restore points were gone for all drives.

I could do a clean install, but I would rather not have to deal with reinstalling all programs and getting the multiboot working with xp and linux again unless I have to, especially since the problem may return, anyway.

@bordelon - you've never had AIM, but is it possible that viewpoint found its way onto your system somehow?
    Wednesday, May 09, 2007 4:13 PM
  • This worked for me, thank you so much! I've been riddled with this problem for months now. Like others, it took a few reboots to work.
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 1:35 PM
  • Server connection failed in Windows Vista

Server connection failed is a problem that occurs in Windows Vista when there is a change of GUID (Globally unique identifier).

In Windows Vista, you might get connection status as - server execution failed. You will still be connected with the internet but, except for the administrator, no other accounts might work.

Well, this happens when the GUID (Globally unique identifier) of a network adapter changes on the computer that is running Windows Vista and the computer indexes an old IP address that was linked with the old GUID. In this case if the old IP address is not a valid one, you can get a connection failure message resulting a connection failure.

The following are the two downloads that are available. This should resolve your problem.
    For Windows Vista, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=c585e831-41fd-40bd-8923-e542eb7a1b8a&displaylang=en
    For Windows Vista 64-bit systems, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8c328a96-f715-48a5-9d92-974e97c74165&DisplayLang=en

Original Thread here:
    http://www.zolved.com/synapse/view_content/28072/Server_connection_failed_in_Windows_Vista
    Hope it helps you all out, it worked for me and AIM sucks..... AOL sucks....
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 4:42 AM
  • Downloaded hotfix for vista (above) didn't work. 

I still have the same problems:

• Windows Defender is off and won't turn on
    • Can't play media files in media player
    • red x on network icon in taskbar with error "Server execution failed"
    • Network "anything" is slow or unresponsive.

Problem started for me after installing and uninstalling Adobe CS3 Web Premium.

Thursday, May 17, 2007 12:16 AM
  • Hey, just wanted to chime in and say the commandline fix worked fine for me:

net localgroup Administrators LocalService /add

This is on Windows Vista Home Premium on a Dell Inspiron E1705.

UPDATE: This wasn't my computer, I thought I'd throw in a couple more "me toos". This computer also:
    -had AIM 5.9.6089
    -had the "Viewpoint" media player pre-installed (it had been removed by the time I was called on).
    -had become unable to play music files (system sounds still worked fine, I "fixed" this by disabling the S/PDIF output from the volume applet)
    -had the "server execution failed" tooltip from the network applet
    -had a red "x" on the network applet, though network AND internet access were usable
    -took a significant amount of time to load the context menu when you right-clicked on the network applet
    -took as long if not longer to load the Network and Whatever Place (sorry, I'm a *nix guy, the one you can access via the network applet context menu)
    -had the Processor(s) and several other items show up as "n/a" when I ran 'dxdiag'

Thanks again, you people saved my friend a lot of hassle!

Thursday, May 17, 2007 4:26 AM
  • I wanted to post and say thanks, the fix posted here worked for me adding the localservice to the admin group.

The bug happened to me after i tried to install KB931770 to fix file transfer issues. Uninstalling the update didn't work but this did, you have saved my day, week, and possibly month of frustration. I'd buy you lunch.

Friday, June 01, 2007 1:44 AM
  • Well guys, thanks for the fix...i was bashing my head against the wall with this one. However, as soon as i applied this fix all of my word 07 documents and excel files became "locked for editing and in use by another user" does anybody have any insight as to where i should trek from here? also my wmi and computer properties still arn't 100%

TIA

Saturday, June 02, 2007 5:46 AM
  • Adding the Local Service tag solved my issue with the X on the Network Icon, however I cannot receive Windows Updates, I keep getting an error. Is anyone else having this issue associated with the LocalService problem? If a patch is forthcoming, how can I receive it if I cannot access Windows Updates? This all started when I could not get updates and then I noticed I had the same issue as everyone else on this thread.
    Monday, June 04, 2007 4:27 AM
  • me too, it also says

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 7:09 PM
  • I followed what paul. a said and I was able to fix it. My internet network connection no longer has the red X and I can once again listen to music. I have one question though, is it safe to re-install AIM? I used to have 5.9.6, and I don't believe it was the problem, unless you guys object. Also, if I am allowed to re-install AIM without it happening again, I would appreciate a link to which AIM version I am able to download. Thanks a bunch.

Please, contact me via e-mail at hotscot7@optonline.net
    Tuesday, June 05, 2007 11:23 PM
  • Completely fixed my problem also with Vista Home Premium.....All works now as before....I suspect AOL AIM and/or Viewpoint as I've deleted all references but it's probably corrupted a key somewhere....Thanks for this workaround.....
    Wednesday, June 06, 2007 12:53 AM
  • I had the same problem. This guy fixed it...

http://www.xoxideforums.com/networking/76388-vista-giving-you-server.html

Monday, June 11, 2007 9:03 PM
  • hello all, i've also run into this problem.  adding the local service to the administrators group solved the red x problem, but i was still not able to connect to my machine via remote desktop.  i am running vista enterprise and i did indeed have an AIM 5.9 install on it.  i also had firefox, photoshop, and a few other things that were mentioned here.

i did the reinstall and everything worked dandy again for a day and then the problem came back up.  i reinstalled again and now i'm trying to reproduce the problem on both my computer and a virtual vista install i have going.  getting rid of the red x is great and all, but the remote desktop is really what i need.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 9:44 PM
  • I tried the fix and it did fix the network problem. However, it did not fit the missing System information, ie: Processor: Not Available, Memory(RAM): Not Available.

Has anyone found a fix for this yet, they both appeared at the same exact time, on after installing the latest hotfix downloaded from windows update last week.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 3:43 PM
  •  joek1234 wrote:
    I tried the fix and it did fix the network problem. However, it did not fit the missing System information, ie: Processor: Not Available, Memory(RAM): Not Available.

Has anyone found a fix for this yet, they both appeared at the same exact time, on after installing the latest hotfix downloaded from windows update last week.

Joek...I have the same exact problem.  My system information and installed Memory is not available.  Have been looking all around the web for a solution and haven't found one yet.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 4:08 AM
  • You guys are AWESOME! Thanks for the tip, the whole net localgroup Admistrators thing worked like a charm! The red x went away, and my music now plays! Lets just hope it stays that way. Thanks a lot guys, you're all geniuses!

Now, my little message to the Microsoft tech guys...
    This topic started in the beginning of FEBRUARY, and it's now almost JULY! To put it bluntly, this is fucking ridiculous, you should have released an update to fix this. If you fucks down at Microsoft actually take some time to read these damn posts, listen to this. HURRY THE FUCK UP. We payed good money for your product and stand by it while Mac commercials and ads flood the market, and what do we get? Major fucking bugs like this that last for months with no official word on it. It's also sad how these people in this topic are probably doing more damn work than you guys are in fixing these problems, and you fucks are getting payed for sitting on your asses helping no one.
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 6:51 AM
  • I still cannot RDP into my Vista box after the network issue fix...
    Has anyone been able to get it going?

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 5:20 PM
  • hi guys, i am encountering the same problem - network error (connection status: unknown, server execution failed), and not playiing any media files. for the second problem, i fixed it from sound setting. try to change some of the settings in sound.detailed i forgotbut it helps, still very irritated with the network problem, my wireless network is not working, but can connects through LAN or internet card.but cant open "network and sharing center", it hangs.sucks.
    Sunday, July 08, 2007 11:39 AM
  •  

>>>>I had the same problem. This guy fixed it...

>>>>>>http://www.xoxideforums.com/networking/76388-vista-giving-you-server.html

I looked at this fix and went down through the list of steps to complete it but ran into a slight snag.

The list reads as shown below:

the third line reads 'double click the "local Users and Groups"  

I don't have that option.  What does that mean?  anyone know?

Mike

>>Right click "Computer"
    >>Click "Manage"
    >>Under the "System Tools" section, Double click "Local Users and Groups"
    >>Click "Groups"
    >>Click "Add"
    >>Click "Advanced"
    >>Click "Find Now"
    >>Double click "Local Service"
    >>Click "Ok"
    >>Click "Ok"

Remember, all credit goes to BlueShot @ Microsoft TechNet Forums!

Sunday, July 08, 2007 3:51 PM

• WINDOWS VISTA HOME AND HOME PREMIUM USERS
    this worked for me just make sure you are using an administrator account and than type this into the cmd prompt
    Start>Run>cmd

Code Snippet

Net localgroup Administrators localservice /add

restart and bingo fixed i hope this helps
    Wednesday, August 01, 2007 7:56 AM
  • I have Vista Home Basic.  After I execute this command my connection status is still x'ed out.  This tooltip displays:

The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process space.

I haven't seen anyone else report this problem.  I suppose I could try to put every service in administrators, but I would prefer a more surgical approach.

Update:

I have also had the wmi problem others reported.  The wmi snap-in for Computer Management displayed:

Also, I was unable to install sql server express due to a 'wmi configuration error'.  This command fixed the snap-in and allowed me to install sql server:

net localgroup administrators NetworkService /ADD

Once I completed my install I removed it:

net localgroup administrators NetworkService /DELETE

Of course the snap-in has problems again.

I changed Network Lists Service logon to 'Local Service' (the original I think) and now the 'x' is gone!

Saturday, August 04, 2007 10:12 PM
  • i am still having this stupid problem....and capn your fix didnt work for me unless i am doing something wrong.  can you list your exact steps?
    Saturday, August 04, 2007 10:41 PM
  • It worked for me too. I did have to do it in safe mode with commands though

Cathy

Sunday, August 05, 2007 2:01 AM
  • did you make sure your current account was an administrator by adding it?
    Sunday, August 05, 2007 3:28 AM
  • Since I was having many problems with this issue, I'm going to show what I did to fix the problem. First, I did the hotfix which fixed the network problem, but I found that I still had wmi errors and was unable to play any games on Steam. So, armed with google and a caffinated beverage, I went to work. Eventually, I discovered that my computer has a slightly differen't net command.

So I changed this:

To this:

net localgroup Administrators /add Local Service

And it worked perfectly. No wmi problems, not even one error when running wmi diag. Hope this helps someone.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 7:30 PM
  • I simply uninstalled AIM and it fixed it.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 8:56 PM