none
ATI HDMI output not plugged in

Question

• I have a Dell Inspiron 400 Zino HD (mini computer hooked up to my A/V system). It has a ATI Radeon HD 4330 512MB graphics card and a AMD Athlon 3250e Processor. The OS is Windows 7 Premium 64bit. I'm running HDMI out of the computer to a Denon A/V receiver. When I first hooked it up everything was working great, then the sound stopped. In the  "Manage Audio Devices" section it shows ATI HDMI output "not plugged in". I have read many posts with the same issue. I have done many of the things suggested, including:

swapping HDMI cables

swapping inputs on the Denon

uninstalling and reinstalling the ATI High Definition Audio Device through Device Manager

Installing different drivers for the device (downloaded from Realtek)

installing/updating the ATI CCC software

Please Help, I'm not a computer expert. I'm getting very frustrated!

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you uninstall the graphics driver and reboot the system sees only the onboard audio device as available and automatically defaults to that.

Right click the sound icon in the notification area and select "Playback devices". Then set ATI HDMI as the default output device.

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 6:51 AM
  • Thanks for the advice. I uninstalled the Drivers to both the ATI High Definition Audio Device and the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330. I did this through the Sound, Video and Game Controllers and the Display Adapters sections of Device Manager. I still get "Not Plugged In" for the ATI HDMI Output in Manage Audio Devices?
    Wednesday, December 01, 2010 7:50 PM
  • Please download the audio driver here and install it.

Drivers & Downloads for Inspiron Desktop 400(Zino HD)

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 8:04 AM
  • Arthur Xie,

I downloaded and installed the only driver listed under "Audio" Contexant Audio CS20561 ver 4.9.8.3.53, AOO> This appears to be the driver for the 2.1 speaker output and for the headphone output, not the HDMI output, The HDMI is still showing "not plugged in". What is the proper driver for the HDMI? After reviewing prior posts on this and other sites, I have downloaded and tried several drivers.

Realtek HDMI Audio Driver for ATI ver 6.01.6121

Realtek High Definition Audio Driver ver 6.01.6235

Microsoft High Definition Audio Driver ver 6.1.7600.16385 (this was the original one)

Incedently, since I started all this, my Windows Media Center will not load. Iwindow pops up that says "Windows Media Center has stopped working Windows is serching for a solution" after few seconds the window disapears with no solution found. I think this is related to me changing the drivers?

Any other suggestions would be appriciated?

Thursday, December 02, 2010 7:22 PM
  • You have been installing and uninstalling so many drivers that your system is probably confused.

See http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/6c4a6394-0b01-4ccb-af9b-da172f554796 and create the devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices variable.

Then, in Device Manager, check "Show hidden devices" and right click on and uninstall all the graphics, sound and monitor devices revealed, both present and non-present. Check the box and be sure to remove the drivers when the option is offered.

Then reboot, let the devices be rediscovered, and install the Dell drivers for your Zino 400 from the link Arthur Xie gave. You should then be able to use HDMI sound.

Some systems only work well with their manufacturer's drivers. Stick to those unless you have good reason to update the drivers. Do not install updated graphics drivers from Windows Update: these will be less complete than the full package from the AMD site.

Thursday, December 02, 2010 8:23 PM
  • I suggest you go to the Dell Forums and post there.  Apparently the problem is specific to the Zino HD and is not related to Windows 7 at all.  I think you will find more help in the Dell forums than you will here with your hardware problem.  I searched for Zino HD HDMI.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3513/p/19314093/19625584.aspx#19625584

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3513/p/19337429/19715933.aspx#19715933

http://en.community.dell.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=Zino%20HD%20HDMI&groups=72&sort=default+desc&wps=5

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 8:34 PM
  • This talk about the HDMI-Audio-"not plugged in" problem being indigenous to the Dell Zino is NOT the answer. As far as I can see, the problem exists for HDMI audio installations of many persuasions, not just Microsoft's, RealTek's, or ATI's. This is a problem for thousands of users across the country. I have it, and my system is a custom, water-cooled job. Although on my system it occurs in Windows 7 64-bit, I've seen Vista users and 32 bit users with the same problem. I have no on board audio to conflict with, so that's not it. My Radeon card is an HD 5870 water-cooled job from Sapphire, but they have no support. There may be some commonality with where the HDMI cable is going. In my case it's a Denon AV amp. From there the video usually goes to a projector, while the audio goes to the speakers. Right now, however, the HDMI connector remains connected to the Denon for audio, while a separate video DVI cable is running to a non-HDMI monitor until I get a new projector lamp. The other oddity that may be a commonality is that my system is a complete re-install of W7 after a virus destroyed my previous Windows installation. In the previous installation, this exact setup worked fine. So it may have something to do with an out-of-date motherboard driver, since I have yet to update all of those for my Foxconn Bloddrage GTI.
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 5:37 PM
  • I love it when some intransigent thinks they speak for "thousands" of users!

HDMI is not a universal problem!  I have 3 systems with ATI HD5750 cards and the HDMI on all three have worked from day # 1!  I have friends with systems having HDMI output and their HDMI outputs work!

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 5:54 PM
  • All it takes is one google search and you will find many with the same proble.  Different systems, different manf's, but same problem.  I just bought a Dell 101z.  After a long search, I bought it in part based on the HDMI output so I could stream movies on travel.  I get no audio through the cable and have no idea why.  I've tried everything i've found online and still can't figure it out.  To suggest that this is a unique problem to only a few is just ignorant.

Sunday, March 20, 2011 5:30 PM
  • I had the same problem that I solved by upgrading drivers (AtihdW76.sys).

Driver is located in C: \ ATI \ Support \ 11-9_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl \ Packages \ Drivers \ WDM \ HDMICE \ ​​W764a

After upgrading the drivers, "AMD HDMI Output" works perfectly (never grayed out)!

Saturday, October 29, 2011 11:35 AM
  • A bit out of date, but the solution I found was actually very simple.  I too had the same issue where I am using the HDMI connection - getting video but no audio - says its not plugged in.  I finally got tired of trying to fix it and decided to just connect it using the PC audio speaker cable since I had a PC connector on the back of my TV and receiver.  Once I plugged the green PC speaker cable in, it all started working.  

Just for kicks i decided to test a theory and unplug the TV/Receiver end of the cable and leave the PC end plugged in to the Zino PC speaker slot - Surprisingly it still works.  I tried this on another Zino that I have with the same issue and it worked as well.  Looks like to get the HDMI audio working and activated, you just need to have a plug in the PC speaker jack (even if its not connected to something on the other end.

Enjoy!

• Edited by cloh76 Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:49 PM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:48 PM