none
Windows 7 - Change User Account Control Settings does not open

Question

• This seems somewhat similar to Installing Office 97 breaks UAC setting UI in windows   but differences are:
    1. I can't even get in to change UAC settings - let alone move the slide bar
    2. The office I have installed is the 2000 edition

Other annoying (related?) problem is that if I double click on any Word file, it opens the program but the program doesn't open the file.  I get a dialogue box with a red smartie with an X saying "There was a problem sending the command to the program".  I can then open the file using "File - Open" within the program.

Also, annoyingly, with all Office 2000 programs, when I start each one UAC asks me if I want to allow that program to make changes to the sytem - which is why I was trying to change UAC settings in the first place.

OK - heres my info:
    I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium
    It's a Foxconn M61PMV
    AMD Athlon II X2 240 Processor 2.80 GHz
    1.86 Usable Gb
    32- Bit

Note - I also have a problem with Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter.  Don't think they're directly related (Office problem was from day 1 - the TTA only occurred a day or 2 back).

Thanks

Chris
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 10:54 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Office 2000 is kind of out-dated too. I suggest make a switch to the latest version to avoid any more unexpected issue.

If you keeps with Office 2000, you can try the steps in this artical http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978591

Since modifying the registry improperly may cause damage to the system, please follow the steps below to back up the registry key before try the UAC fix:

1. Click Start, click Run, input "REGEDIT" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
    2. Navigate to the following registry key by expanding the "+" beside the registry tree in the left pane:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

3. Right click on it, click "Export"; please name the file as "RegBackup" (without quotation marks) and then save it to the C:\ drive as a backup.
    Note: In case we need to undo the modification, we can double click this RegBackup.reg file to restore the registry key.

• Marked as answer by Godsman Monday, February 15, 2010 8:08 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2010 7:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Office 2000 is kind of out-dated too. I suggest make a switch to the latest version to avoid any more unexpected issue.

If you keeps with Office 2000, you can try the steps in this artical http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978591

Since modifying the registry improperly may cause damage to the system, please follow the steps below to back up the registry key before try the UAC fix:

1. Click Start, click Run, input "REGEDIT" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
    2. Navigate to the following registry key by expanding the "+" beside the registry tree in the left pane:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

3. Right click on it, click "Export"; please name the file as "RegBackup" (without quotation marks) and then save it to the C:\ drive as a backup.
    Note: In case we need to undo the modification, we can double click this RegBackup.reg file to restore the registry key.

• Marked as answer by Godsman Monday, February 15, 2010 8:08 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2010 7:52 AM
  • Thanks Magon_67.  Now I can see the slider bar And I can make changes.  Yeah ... I know Office 2000 is a bit old, but it's what I got at the moment.  Having had to replace my PC has left me a bit tight so I'll have to limp on the best I can for the moment.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 8:11 PM
  • Thanks Technocrate - but my problem was I couldn;t even see the slider bar.  When I clicked on "Change UAC Settings" it just sneered at me (well OK, it didn't sneer but it felt like it was - it just didn't do anything).  One I could see the slide bar it was pretty obvious.

I set it to Never (of course), and don't get those annoying messages now.  And I just noticed that I can now open Word & it WILL open the document by clicking on it.  May be due to some registry changes I made detailed in artical http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978591, suggested by Magon on this thread (marked as the Answer to this problem.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:22 PM