none
Windows 7 Media Center - LiveTV stuttering

Question

• Running 64-bit Windows 7 RTM (from TechNet) on a Gigabyte GA-EP-45-UD3P motherboard with an Intel Core2Duo E8400 and 8GB RAM installed. The video card is a Gigabyte PCI-e 16X card based on the ATI HD4850 chipset. The display is an 23 inch Apple Cinema display driven of the video card's DVI port.  The TV tuner card is a Hauppauge HVR-1800 in PCI-e 1X slot (the same behavior occurs with an HVR-1600 tuner in a PCI slot).

TV source is the analog S-video feed from a Scientific Atlanta cable TV tuner box fed by Comcast digital cable service.  Watchng or recording a TV program in Media Center, after some variable amount of time...usually about 20 minutes...the video and audio degrade with increasing levels of "digital breakup" or stuttering.  Pressing the pause button and immediatly resuming play results in normal operation for a variable amount of time, but shorter than the first interval, before the problem recurrs.

I do not see this behavior when watching/recording the same signal source using Hauppauge's WinTV 7 software.

Event Viewer has a series of repeating errors that correspond in clock time of the problem manifesting in Media center, but I am not sure if it is related:

Log Name:      System
    Source:        atikmdag
    Date:          8/14/2009 8:32:31 PM
    Event ID:      62464
    Task Category: DVD_OV
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      Win7
    Description:
    UVD Information
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="atikmdag" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="16384">62464</EventID>
        <Level>4</Level>
        <Task>61</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-08-15T02:32:31.575401800Z" />
        <EventRecordID>14718</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>Win7</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Binary>00005000010000003D00000000F40040000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000BDE70106002823005100000042940000020000000002000100803E00A3024C0400000000000000000000000000003C0108010002FFFFF007FFFFF0073383700200000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

This error is not not generated when viewing TV with the Hauppauge WinTV 7 software.

I've Google'd (and Bing'd) this problem with no conclusive results, but I'm an ignorant git and may have failed to recoginze an obvious solution.  Would appreciate any advice on how to mitigate this as I'd really like to use the timer recording/online guide features of Media Center.
    • Edited by rbmorse Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:23 AM clarity
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:19 AM

All replies

• Was it a Clean install or a upgrade?

regards,
    S.Sengupta Media Center MVP
    • Proposed as answer by d.snyder Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:28 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by d.snyder Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:29 PM
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 12:57 AM
  • It was a clean install. 

I have discovered the problem is apparently the result of resouce contention.  I moved the card to another PCI-e 1X slot and the nature of the problem changes. Rather than the audio and video stuttering after about 20 minutes, on certain sources I now get a glitch in the video every 5 sec or so.  This starts as soon as I begin viewing a source. Audio is not affected. Still investigating, but the channels most affected are part of Comcast's premium tier digital service so the problem may be related to Fairplay.  
    Monday, August 17, 2009 11:35 PM
  • What drivers are you running for the tuners - those supplied via Windows Update, or the latest-available version downloaded from Hauppauge (link)?
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 3:50 AM
  • Actually, I see the same behavior with both the Windows Update drivers and latest from Hauppauge (both dated from March even though the Update package has a different build number. My supposition was they were the same files, but maybe that's not the case, afterall?

Last night I swapped the HVR-1600 back into the box and performed a fresh Windows 7 installation onto a new, unpartitioned Western Digital Velociraptor hard drive. The installation is as "clean" as I can make it, the only updates, AVG anti-virus (subscription pacakge) and Firefox 3.5.2 are installed.

Still get the 5 sec. video glitch" on certain channels. 

I'm beginning to think it's a Comcast, CODEC or PlayReady problem.  The channels below 149 work fine. Starting at 149 COMCAST offers a second-tier premium service of movie channels (Encore, Premier, RetroPlex, etc.) all of which glitch. But, video services above 149 (NFL channel at 180, the Game Show Network at 179, etc) do not. HBO (301) and Starz (370) both glitch whether showing film or video. 

I guess the next thing to try is a different CODEC set, but I'm not sure how to do that. We'll see if Bing can be my friend.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 3:10 PM
  • I have had the same problem with my install of the newest RTM also had the problem with beta or RC sometimes mine would be alright for days. I also have 8400 cpu, 3.5 gig of ram, 1800 tuner card HD3870 video Striker 7.1 sound hooked to a media system. I have tried everything for the last 7months. P5K motherboard
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 11:44 PM
  • Hello, I have a very similar problem on my system. And I also have an 8400 proc although with 2gig ram, an ATI 3650 video card, on an Asus   P5E-VM HDMI motherboard (not using the onboard video). The tuner card is an AverTV Due Hybrid PCI-E. I'm in France and am receiving FTA digital channels direct with this tuner. Which seems to work very well for the SD channels but we receive three channels on terrestrial FTA in HD, and it is on these channels that I get a very similar problem to that described by rbmorse at the start. I'll turn it on, and its great, and after an uncertain amount of time, maybe ten to twenty minutes, blocking starts to appear in the picture, and this gets worse and worse until it is unviewable, then if I change channel and then change back to it (channel change can take more than 10secs) it tends to work fine for a while again until, sooner this time, the blocking comes back. This was a clean install with only wifi, tuner card and blu-ray drivers added. This system exists only for media (thats why I installed W7 as Vista can't handle HD) so there is nothing else installed to confuse it. Any Ideas? It would seem possible that its due to the timeshifting function, maybe? Is it still possible to turn off timeshifting in MediaCenter? Or of course a real fix would be nice!

Cheers,
    Tom.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 8:19 AM
  • I have the exact same setup.  1800 card + ati 4850.  I get the same stuttering problem with certain channels from my Comcast STB with Win 7 x64.
    I really wish there was a fix for this.  I called Hauppauge and they told me to test card with WinTV 7 app.  It is a terrible app, but all the bad stations in media center worked fine with Win TV 7, so it must be a Microsoft decoder issue.

I really hope they can come up with a solution to the problem.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 11:09 PM
  • I also just checked Task Manager while watching live tv.  Normally eshell.exe is running at 0-5% cpu usage while watching Live TV.  However when the video skips it jumps up to 35-40%  Hope this helps.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 11:20 PM
  • I've been experiencing the same problem of stuttering video on my system as well as few other infuriating headaches.   This was a fresh install of Win7 HP 64bit on a formatatted drive using retail media from MSDN and the key MS sent from the early purchase promotion.  Under the previous OS (Vista Ultimate 32bit) media center did okay with the exception of the headaches that UAC caused it. 

Here is a breakdown on what I'm seeing on Media Center
    1) When running the 'Set Up TV Signal' everything goes fine right up until it has you do the channel up/channel down at least 6 times step.  At that point for some reason MC will intermittently send an extra digit on the IR (0052 sends as 00522, 0174 sends as 01744).  The channels that this happens to appear to be random.  Trying the 'select the set-top box from a list' option does the same thing.  You can change channels fine all day long (did it 20+ times to test) and then when you hit the next step for channel up/down the extra digit starts popping up.  Attempting to do a 'manual setup' for the set-top box configuration doesn't work as it never acknowledges that I press the number 1 on the box remote when prompted (odd given that it works during automatic setup and select from a list).  This behavior remains after the wizard has completed making recording less than reliable and channel changing rather frustrating.

2) Watchng or recording a TV program in Media Center, after some variable amount of time...usually about 20 minutes...the video and audio degrade with increasing levels of "digital breakup" or stuttering.  Pressing the pause button and immediatly resuming play results in normal operation for a variable amount of time, but shorter than the first interval, before the problem recurrs.

3) If Media Center is open and I open a video file in Media player (or vice versa) some times the audio isn't picked up.  Shutting both down and reopening the file seems to fix the problem.

4) Stuttering video if a file copy or file download box is present.  If I'm copying a file from a data drive to another data drive (not the os or MC drive) video in MC will stutter.  If I minimize the file copy status window the video in MC cleans up and works fine.

5) UAC - Any activity that thinks about touching UAC cuts out MC.  It is better than in Vista but annoying just the same.
        NOTE: Not expecting anything on this one.  If it gets too bad I'll adjust UAC.

After running Win 7 Pro 32bit on my HTPC (no tuner) I didn't expect problems with MC so I focused on all the various apps I had to port over.  After 3 days of recovering applications and data I really don't relish the idea of rebuilding the system again but I would REALLY like to get Media Center working properly again.  Any reliable advice would be greatly appreciated.

SYSTEM
    =========
    HP m9080n
    q6600
    3GB Ram
    geforce 8800gts
    wintv hvr-1600 (dual channel 1 to OTA and 1 S-Video to Cox Motorola DCT 6200 box)

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 7:37 PM
  • have you guys checked the Hauppauge forums?
    i seem to recall seeing issues similar to this on the UK forums. im not sure if they've fixed the issues however.

i have Hauppauge PVR-USB2 (24xxx version) and rarely have this issue. when it does happen though, i've found simply pausing then playing (just for a second) fixes the issue. that said, when i do have the issue, it's IMMEDIATELY after clicking 'live TV'.
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 12:10 PM
  • I'm having similar issues though I'm using dual screens and the playback will only stutter when in full screen on the second monitor. It's a small but noticable stutter every 5 seconds or so. I've tried two different tuners (Hauppauge HVR-2200 PCIE and Digitalnow Tinytwin USB) I'm using a decent graphics card (GTX 285) I've tried multiple graphics and tuner drivers and this still happens. I really hope someone fixes this as I've gone back to vista which doesn't have this issue at all.
    Cheers.
    Monday, November 09, 2009 7:42 AM
  • I've been experiencing the same problem of stuttering video on my system as well as few other infuriating headaches.   This was a fresh install of Win7 HP 64bit on a formatatted drive using retail media from MSDN and the key MS sent from the early purchase promotion.  Under the previous OS (Vista Ultimate 32bit) media center did okay with the exception of the headaches that UAC caused it. 

Here is a breakdown on what I'm seeing on Media Center
    1) When running the 'Set Up TV Signal' everything goes fine right up until it has you do the channel up/channel down at least 6 times step.  At that point for some reason MC will intermittently send an extra digit on the IR (0052 sends as 00522, 0174 sends as 01744).  The channels that this happens to appear to be random.  Trying the 'select the set-top box from a list' option does the same thing.  You can change channels fine all day long (did it 20+ times to test) and then when you hit the next step for channel up/down the extra digit starts popping up.  Attempting to do a 'manual setup' for the set-top box configuration doesn't work as it never acknowledges that I press the number 1 on the box remote when prompted (odd given that it works during automatic setup and select from a list).  This behavior remains after the wizard has completed making recording less than reliable and channel changing rather frustrating.

2) Watchng or recording a TV program in Media Center, after some variable amount of time...usually about 20 minutes...the video and audio degrade with increasing levels of "digital breakup" or stuttering.  Pressing the pause button and immediatly resuming play results in normal operation for a variable amount of time, but shorter than the first interval, before the problem recurrs.

3) If Media Center is open and I open a video file in Media player (or vice versa) some times the audio isn't picked up.  Shutting both down and reopening the file seems to fix the problem.

4) Stuttering video if a file copy or file download box is present.  If I'm copying a file from a data drive to another data drive (not the os or MC drive) video in MC will stutter.  If I minimize the file copy status window the video in MC cleans up and works fine.

5) UAC - Any activity that thinks about touching UAC cuts out MC.  It is better than in Vista but annoying just the same.
        NOTE: Not expecting anything on this one.  If it gets too bad I'll adjust UAC.

After running Win 7 Pro 32bit on my HTPC (no tuner) I didn't expect problems with MC so I focused on all the various apps I had to port over.  After 3 days of recovering applications and data I really don't relish the idea of rebuilding the system again but I would REALLY like to get Media Center working properly again.  Any reliable advice would be greatly appreciated.

SYSTEM
    =========
    HP m9080n
    q6600
    3GB Ram
    geforce 8800gts
    wintv hvr-1600 (dual channel 1 to OTA and 1 S-Video to Cox Motorola DCT 6200 box)

I am experiencing the exact same issues as you,  with much of the same hardware.  I have two Hauppage 1600 tuners and Win 7 Pro 32 bit  4 GB Ram Q6600 with HD4850 graphics card.  I had thought it was a graphics driver issues maybe but since you have an nvidia card it leads me to believe it may be a codec issue or tv tuner driver issue, have you tried replacing the microsoft default decoder?  I have read about people experiencing this problem with avermedia tuners as well which again leads me to believe codec or decoder issue within media center.   If you find out how to solve this problem  please do share.  Thanks
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 4:23 AM
  • It all seems too a typical issue in regard to the Home PC Market with a flood of manufactures Hardware & software not keeping up with thier own mercenary ways.
    Its about manufacturing & supply to make money & one would think that sometime ago they got it right then Improved without satisfactory syncronisation.
    I have had no improvement in my high defintion audio in regard to WinTv7 & Windows 7.Stuttering away like an old commodore 64..
    Xp & Vista generally worked fine so as usual Microsoft will be hard at work making up for there ends patching & fixing issues with the market.
    I guess they feel obliged seeing 90% of all pc component software & hardware manufacturers rely on M.S to keep them in business.

May Windows 7 be perfected & let the followers build into it for all our sakes.
    I have lost count of the money I have spent on foolish upgrades that downgrade the simplicity & usability of my machine.

My Heart goes out to the Personnel operators with a system, that seems to be sucking up too much juice for its own good.

Paul

Monday, November 23, 2009 10:52 AM
  • I seem to have the same problem but it only began when I loaded the latest ATI drivers (catalyst 9.11) - this is on a clean install to the extent I only added the ati drivers over the ones delivered by winodws update to resolve a resume from sleep issue with Media Center. Now I get pretty much the same error as that in the first post repeatedly. Most times if I reboot things work ok but I only rebuilt this time when even that didn't work.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 11:37 PM
  • I am having similar problems, but only after waking from sleep.  Everything seems fine after waking, however, accessing the tuner will cause media center to lock up while the TV signal stutters.  I have Windows 7 x64, 4 GB RAM with integrated ATI Radeon HD 3300 and a Hauppauge HVR-1600 tuner.

This appears to be only related to accessing the tuner after sleep.  I have no choice but to reboot and this is not a long-term option.  Something has to give...I have had repeated problems with this tuner and low bit rate errors so I am currently blaming the tuner drivers.
    Friday, December 04, 2009 5:21 PM
  • Possibly, but I'm not sure.  I have the same card (HVR 1600) and the latest driver set work and they flawlessly with the Hauppauge WinTV7 application on my machine, even after emerging from a sleep/hibernation state.
    Friday, December 04, 2009 7:14 PM
  • I'm not convinced it is the tuner drivers - I only see problems when I add the catalyst software - difficult to tell which is actually the source I guess.

I raised a support request with AMD & to my surprise they responded. A long email clearly cut & paste from multiple sources but the summary of their answer is that if video plays ok but TV has problems it must be the tuner drivers and couldn't possibly be related to their drivers. Such a long, painful, messy answer (please take you machine apart, unsolder all those little thingies you can see then call your tuner provider to say they broke it) that I have little faith in their response. Just to add to the quality of their response they offer that if their steps don't work I can always try posting to their forums - so no hope there then.
    Friday, December 04, 2009 7:22 PM
  • I will try removing the catalyst suite and using the drivers from Windows Update.  I'm guessing it will revert back to an older driver as they don't seem to update as quickly on there...
    Friday, December 04, 2009 9:31 PM
  • Good luck, given I'm using an nVidia card Catalyst may or may not be a viable variable. 

Based on many many google/bing searches I'd say there are quite a few people out there having this problem but not enough to get someone at Microsoft to pay attention.  If you do a bit of searching it looks to me that the biggest common thread with folks having this problem is 64bit users.  At this point I'm debating on trying 32bit  or other OS options.

If someonee out there finds a kink in this issue please do share.
    Friday, December 04, 2009 10:57 PM
  • I would agree it's more likely a 64-bit issue at this point, whether 3rd-party related is starting to sound unlikely.  I removed Catalyst Control Center/display driver and installed the display driver from Windows Update.  After waking, media center is responsive and everything seems fine.  Except for when I try the tuner, I then have to CTRL-ALT-DEL and kill media center or my machine is unusable.

I had Windows 7 RC 32-bit a few months ago and don't remember anything like this.  I vaguely remember some issues with the tuner and responsiveness of media center when I had the 64-bit version installed.  I actually think that is why I went back to 32-bit but it's been too long for me to remember.  I remember thinking it could be anything since everything was in beta.  

Can someone confirm if they can replicate this issue in the 32-bit version?

Saturday, December 05, 2009 1:47 AM
  • I run 32-bit Windows 7 Professional and have very similar issues. Using MC with a Hauppage 2250 and I get stuttering video on live tv, but more frequently on recorded TV playback. Looking at the event log I see literally tens of thousands of the exact error the OP specified in the system event log. Using onboard video from ATI 3200 chipset.

I was looking at installing 64-bit to eleviate the issue...nice to know that's not going to work. I have a sneaky suspicion (at least in my case) that the flat out assault on the event log and the file writes are actually causing the freeze due to resource contention. It'll log sometimes a couple hundred a second which is just nuts.

Please clarify folks, the common thread on this should be the using of an ATI video card...anyone with significant errors w/o ATI?
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 5:59 AM
  • Hello, to second PsharkAuburn... I too am running 32-bit and have massive problems.

Its a frustratingly enormous problem to have gone unnoticed by Microsoft (especially as W7 was my idea!). So it feels as though there is a specific conflict that we are experiencing. I have already gone back through the listings on this page and I think there are at least two Geeforce users suffering problems. Are we all sure that the signals we're receiving are good enough? Here my signal is dodgy, although my Panasonic Plasma manages well even on the HD channels (am in France where they still stuff grain down geese's throats by hand but freeview HD started 6 months ago).

I have 8400 cpu
    2gig ram
    ATI 3650 video card
    Asus P5E-VM HDMI motherboard (not using the onboard video)
    AverTV Duo Hybrid PCI-E A177

My next move is to remove the video card (so I'll have to stop playing Modern Warfare 2) and return to onboard graphics (Intel G35) which I have not tried with the HD as I suspect timeshifting with HD video using the G35 will be taxing, anyhow that should remove all Catalyst/Nvidia driver/utility issues, and we'll see where it leads.

I've also got an Aver A850 USB DVB-T tuner, and a gigabyte pci hybrid tuner to test.

We'll see.
    Tom.
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 8:46 AM
  • Tom, please try your G35 integrated graphics so we can get more data on the variables.  I think you'll be surprised that the G35 graphics are quite good and can probably handle HD with a good processor and plenty of RAM (2GB is probably too low since the video memory is shared).

I do not have ANY problems with tuning analog TV (via S-video line from my Comcast STB) and really have only had the low bit rate errors before RTM.  My only issue is waking from sleep and tuning any TV without having to reboot immediately to fix media center lockup.  There's probably a bug with resource allocation (perhaps since video and tuning are so intricately tied together when watching TV) in media center itself since others have noted that Hauppauge's WinTV software works fine.  Why I am not seeing the stuttering or any of the other issues people are having in this thread on a clean boot is beyond me...
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 1:48 PM
  • Well...

Not quite ready to give full report (as my girlfriend has requisitioned tv corner), but here is the progress.

We have a couple of three way lightswitches in the house which control relays in the fusebox, when people trigger these relays we get digital blocking on the screen of the TV, and when we use our mobiles sometimes the image is completely destryoyed. So I spent most of the afternoon hunting out all the connections in out house's tv cabling (it is an old house recently purchased) and I replaced the booster behind the telly with an in loft booster (in the loft) and all the connections and distributer with new screw type metal ones that inspire confidance! Then I checked the TV signal on the telly and the levels seemed maybe slightly higher. Then I dropped into my bios and switched the graphics to IGP, booted up and... had to go find my old vga monitor!!

Having got that working I uninstalled all ATI software. The two internal tuner cards are installed (the Avermedia A177 and Gigabyte Tiger 2) with the most recent drivers. That means some really old gigabyte driver and the new Avermedia driver for the A188 card under W7... I tried it and it installed the A177 card perfectly with confirmation and a newer driver number in control panel.

I ran the Media Center tv setup, and for the first time ever it worked. OK, this is something I forgot to mention previously... Each time that I'd run the setup, MC would identify my tuner cards as analog CABLE and dvb-t. Well we live so far from civilisation that we can't even get adsl down the phone line so there's no way in ____ we've got cable TV (that and the fact that the cable plugged into the tuner cards comes from an aerial on the roof! But it has always done this miss-identification and then I'd say 'no I want to set it up manually' and I'd tell it that there were analog antenna tuners and DVB-t tuners. But this time it got it all right - three analog tuners and three DVB-T tuners (the gigabyte is single hybrid, the avermedia dual hybrid), so I smiled a large smile!

It searched out the channels (finding more than ever before) and I set about viewing... without breakup! On channel change there is a bit of blocking that can last a few seconds, but then it clears suddenly and seems to remain perfect... which is a lot better than before when it would start out perfect and gradually deteriorate! I then set about recording simultaneously three channels in HD with CPU use never about 60%, mem not above 60% and drive usage at about 5%!! Plus when I use my mobile, or switch the crazy lightswitches there is no breakup.

I haven't had a chance to test this in depth... haven't gone into and out of sleep for example, nor done any long duration tests, or anything really definitive. But it feels better than ever.

On the other hand I now have another problem. I can't seem to get the HDMI output active on my IGP so I can't connect it to my big screen and can't really make use of this advance! If anyone has any ideas please feel free. In the meantime I am going to re-install the HD3650 and catalyst and see if this screws it all up again. If so that would be quite conclusive, if not then I'd suggest that everyone checks out their tv signal path for purity (that doesn't mean adding a crappy signal booster), as it would seem that tuner cards are particularly susceptible to interference, even when the Pana was using the same aerial, same cable and getting a perfect picture.

I will tell more when I know more.
    Tom.
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 8:19 PM
  • I am having similar problems, but only after waking from sleep.  Everything seems fine after waking, however, accessing the tuner will cause media center to lock up while the TV signal stutters.  I have Windows 7 x64, 4 GB RAM with integrated ATI Radeon HD 3300 and a Hauppauge HVR-1600 tuner.

This appears to be only related to accessing the tuner after sleep.  I have no choice but to reboot and this is not a long-term option.  Something has to give...I have had repeated problems with this tuner and low bit rate errors so I am currently blaming the tuner drivers.

I am experiencing the same problem with my system. Windows 7 X64, 8GB RAM, nVidia 9500gs, and two Hauppauge 2250s. Wake from sleep results in stuttering audio and video in Live TV. The video scrubber moves back and forth while the stuttering occurs. Only a reboot will correct the problem, so my computer must run 24/7. Originally I had Vista X64 on the system and resume from sleep worked fine. It stopped working when I installed Windows 7 RC on a new hard drive placed into the system. I've since upgraded the RC to the retail version of Windows 7 Home Premium. Any suggestions to correct this will be much appreciated.
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 4:43 PM
  • OK, I've tested everything, and nothing is much clearer!

I can certify that the G35 graphics is more than capable of running W7 with HD tv decoding without any problems at all (with a nice processor). But I can also testify that there seems to be a massively huge problem with the Intel drivers that means that the HDMI output on my MOBO is totally useless, if I try and detect the digital output or use the 'TV setup' app in the drivers they crash, I am left with just VGA!!! Nice job boys. So I had to return to the ATI setup. I have done this by removing all drivers and software relating to the video card installations, rebooting the computer and installing the latest full ATI catalyst suite. It seems to work mostly!

At first I just let W7 install the graphics and it didn't work at all (missing some encoder stuff I think). Not with the full suite installed manually the computer is quite reliable - that is to say I have learnt what it will do.

It will receive and record pretty much everything. But it will now always tell me that the recording can't be made because no signal is being received (even when I am watching the channel in all its glory with my own eyes through media center). It doesn't seem to suffer from the random blocking problem I had before - although it does 'sometimes'. Before it was a cert, choose a HD channel and it would screw up, but now I can watch and record HD pretty happily.

So things are better, but I don't really feel as though anything has been resolved. It feels as though the problems are multiple and that the installation is extremely fragile with regard to driver versions, installation orders, components etc, and maybe even sensitivity issues.

I had a look at the IRQ issue - the idea that the tuner cards and graphics cards are using the same IRQ address, and yes they are, but seeing as my MOBO sets the IRQ address for both the PCI-E slots, the PCI slot, and the PCI-16 slot as the same and I am given not option to change them, I find it hard to believe that this is the problem... please correct me if you can.

Suggestions... signal quality, INTEL drivers need lots of work, ATI drivers seem to clash with W7 media center somewhat, finally and probably most sensibly go out and buy a double tuner DVB-T HD tuner with HDMI output and USB recording support for maybe a quarter of what the PC cost and never have to worry about any of this ____ again.

I feel seriously fed up. A real good media center has been a dream for maybe 8 years now, and I've had various incarnation, none of which have really been what it should have been, but it was something that neither a Betamax nor a VHS could ever be and that was non-linear. But now technology has caught up with the computer!!

Tom.
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 5:44 PM
  • I want to add some observations about the original problem described in this thread (I'm not having the post-sleep issue).

After playing with this for a couple of months I've decided that whatever the specific technical issue happens to be, the problem in my case is most certainly related to Comcast's access control to certain premium channels that mostly show movies.  The problem manifests only on the following services:

HBO
    Starz
    MoviePlex
    Encore (This is a package of about ten channels that show older "themed" films...i.e., westerns or romances...related to Starz. It is not sold as a separate service, but is part of a package called "Digital Preferred")
    IFC (independent film channel -- also part of "digital preferred")
    Sundance Channel (also part of "digital preferred")
    IndiePlex (also part of "digital Preferred")
    RetroPlex (also Part of "Digital Preferred")
    I don't subscribe to ShowTime or CinePlex so I don't know if these services are affected.

Curiously, the "Flix" service which also is included in the "Digital Preferred" package does not stutter, nor do any of the mostly video (non-feature film) channels that are included in the "Digital Preferred" package.  Another curiousity is that when the channels that stutter while showing films start to show their trailers and other promotional material that serves as filler between movies, that content usually does not stutter.

As noted elsewhere, the video stutter is accompanied by a marked increase in CPU utilization by the process ehshell.exe

While the problem is apparently triggered by something Comcast does to the signal, the problem itself remains something in Media Center. The same channels play flawlessly on the same computer using the Hauppauge WinTV 7 software.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 9:17 PM
  • I'd also like to mention that having used my system a bit more, the problem definitely seems to be on the display adaptor side rather than the tuner side, because when the blocking starts I simply have to rewind a little bit and press play and the picture is perfect. I mean I re-watch the exact same images from the exact same file and there is no picture degratation. So the problem is somewhere in MC's playback process, and how it interacts with the display drivers, and or the mobo/HD.

Or at least thats part of it, and it doesn't explain the 'no signal' message.

Essentially it would seem that as normal, and after the initial delight that W7 inspired, the OS is packed just as full as normal with ____-ups.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:48 AM
  • I am not jumping to any conclusions about where the problem lies.  This was not happening before if I recall correctly and Win7 has been incredibly good from the start of beta testing.  Honestly, I can't imagine using any other desktop OS right now.  I'd be curious to know how widespread these problems are.

Anyway, I am about to build a budget HTPC for my own personal research and ultimately for a friend.  If this hasn't been resolved, I will post whether this one suffers from the same fate...
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:15 AM
  • Skip,

I'm running 2 Win 7 systems one of which is running as an HTPC.  It is an old system P4 with AGP video and no tuner run Win 7 Pro x86.  I do not have the stuttering video on this box.  For the most part it works great.  Like you I did a lot of beta testing on this box and did not run into any of these issues.  My problem didn't come until I rebuilt my primary system (HP m9080n going form Vista Ultimate x86 to Win 7 Pro x64 clean install).   

Like you I've wondered how widespread the problem is and if there are any common denominators.  Googling it looks like there is a fair number of users but I've not seen a single smoking gun.  People are reporting the problem with different video cards and different tuners.  The biggest commonality I do see is that there appears to be many more x64 users reporting the problem than x86 users. 

So, if you are building a recreational HTPC I personally would recommend going with an x86 install of Win 7.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:57 AM
  • Just to answer your "widespread" question. I, unfortunately, am one also suffering from the stuttering.  Although I have been in Ham Radio for 50 years and into computers for 28 years, I am not a finely tuned expert in computers and electronics. However, I often can, by finesse or happenstance, fix my problems.  In this audio/video cause, I am perplexed.  I am about to give up on Ultimate7 as it is necessary for me to go to more archaic machines, running XP Pro and Ubuntu to play my Christmas and other music and I have to forego watching instructive and other videos on the Win 7 PC.  I dislike my poor contributing  position but do wholely appreciate the knowledgeable input on this forum. Surely MS will have the incentive to fix this, pronto.
    imez 
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:00 PM
  • Glad to see I'm not the only one with a problem, this has been pretty infuriating.

Running:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    4GB DDR2
    Phenom 8450 X3
    Nvidia 730a chipset
    Primary harddrive is IDE
    2 secondary SATA drives (that seem to get disconnected on sleep, then reconnected, so I can't have any running programs installed on them when the PC sleeps)
    Old belkin 802.11g wifi card

I initially had an AverTV Bravo HD pci-e 1x card, and thinking it was the problem, I swapped it for an ATI TV Wonder 650 PCI. It had basically the same problems however, leaving me to think it's something else.
    I tried uninstalling all codecs I had installed, but that didn't do anything. I'm tempted to blame this problem on Windows, and if the two TV cards I had supported Linux, I'd already be running MythTV.
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 8:29 AM
  • I am also having similar problems - although mine is primarily a stuttering of the audio whilst watching Live TV in W7 Media Centre, leading to gradual blocking and then loss of audio - the picture remains ok. Its infuriatingly annoying, as pressing pause for one or two seconds cures the issue and it returns to normal, at least for another 20 minutes or so. And re-winding and then replaying the TV, it plays perfectly. I replaced my Freecom DVB USB stick with a Kworld Pinnacle Dual DVB, originally thinking it was a tuner related issue, but no the problem remains!

Set up is an AMD X3 on an Asus mobo, using onboard HDMI output (ATi 3200 integrated grfx), 4gig ram, W7 Ultimate. Using optical cable to take sound to a Sony Receiver and 5.1 speakers.

Apart from this, the OS works very well. It is so annoying though, as Windows 7 and how I have got it set up is almost the perfect media centre.

Monday, January 04, 2010 8:50 PM
  • I too believe I have the same problem, but I also get a blank screen sometimes mid way through a recording. I have no idea why it happens.

running Windows 7 Ulitmate x64. on a Gigabyte MA785GM-U2HS, I am using the onboard ATI 4200 GFX via HDMI. 1.5TB WD Green drive (for OS and recording), ATI 650 PCIE card, AMD X2 240

My issues seem to be getting worse by the day, lots of stuttering on live TV and recorded TV as well. I also WHS but the have only tested with local files. Process Utilization does not seem to that high.

I think I may switch to x86 to give it a try. If that fails then I am going back to XP MCE...  My old Shuttle with AMD 2200 did better than this thing !!

Friday, January 08, 2010 9:32 AM
  • I am having a similar problem.  I started off with clean install of Windows 7 64 bit on an AMD Athlon x4, 8gb ram, 9800 GTX+, Hauppauge 2250 tv tuner, 2 sata hdd, 1 odd on an Asus M4N72-E with a Corsair 950W PSU on 2 monitors (Dell 1920x1080 and Acer 1680x1050)  All the recorded shows stutter and freeze about 5 min into the program.  Pausing and restarting helps, but problems starts within a minute or so.  Live TV seems okay most of the time, stutters and freezes The same recorded shows play fine in WMP.  I thought it was my old PSU (Antec 650 Earth watts), but no joy.  Thought it was an sli issue, had 2 9800 gtx, but no joy.  I have installed and reinstalled drivers.  DVDs play fine in WMC.  I have an Avermedia usb tv tuner that I use to watch show from my Tivo hooked to a comcast cable box and have no problems on any of the channels. 
    I was going to try and upgrade my gpu, but from all the searches and reading my gpu is fine.
    I did have Vista Home Premium 64 bit installed on the exact same system with no problems.  I contacted Hauppauge and they suggested using their software, which can play the recorded content from WMC perfectly.  I even tried different resolutions, turning off Physx, hardware acceleration, etc. and unplugging the second monitor, again no joy.
    Is there a problem with WMC codecs? If so, then why does WMP play the recordings with no problem?  Or is 64 bit Windows 7 that bad?
    Ideas?
    Forgot to mention, I transferred the recordings to my laptop, with Windows 7 and the same problems occur.  Frustrating!
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 8:15 AM
  • I was having a stuttering issue as well,   W7 Pro, dual core, 4 gig mem, Hauppauge 950q.  I changed the performance settings to best performance and also noticed that the Virtual memory (page file size) was way below what was recommended.  I manually set the Page file size and so far have not had any of the stuttering problems.  By adjusting for best performance, the appearance may change a bit.  Nothing I can't live with.

Hope this Helps
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 3:30 PM
  • This issue must be related to Media Center and NOT any specific hardware. I am experiencing the exact same problem. Windows 7 Ultimate, 1.8 Ghz Pentium Dual Core, 1 GB ram. I get jerky video ONLY in Media Center and ONLY after I return from SLEEP. After boot or hibernate the video is fine as it is in Media Player or any app outside of Media Center no matter how long I play it. I first used onboard INTEL graphics but then installed NVIDIA 8500GT card with 500MB and it happens with both graphic systems. I'm using an ATI TV wonder tuner card. The jerkyness occurs on all video sources. TV, DVD, MPG. . . Quite frustrating. No other problems with system or Win7.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 12:18 AM
  • I was having a stuttering issue as well,   W7 Pro, dual core, 4 gig mem, Hauppauge 950q.  I changed the performance settings to best performance and also noticed that the Virtual memory (page file size) was way below what was recommended.  I manually set the Page file size and so far have not had any of the stuttering problems.  By adjusting for best performance, the appearance may change a bit.  Nothing I can't live with.

Hope this Helps

Good to hear that adjusting Video for 'Best Performance' helped you however, the video card in the majority of the systems in this forum string should be able to handle 7MC at any setting without issue.  And most, like me, previously had Vista on their systems and VMC worked fine so it isn't a lack of hardware.  I've tested installing 3rd party players (Hauppauge WinTV, KMP, VLC) and they worked fine when 7MC would start experiencing problems.  At one point I went so far as playing 4 different movies in VLC simultaneously (muted of course :) and they played fine.

In diagnosing this problem I've rebuilt my system more times than I care to admit just to ensure that I'm always starting with a clean slate, make 1 change, monitor, and then rebuild again when the problem popped up again.  Replacing the codecs that 7MC uses didn't seem to help.  For my 8800GTS card I tested the Windows (packaged and windows update) video drivers, latest from the nVidia website (was newer), and even the nVidia beta driver for my 8800GTS.  The latest windows update driver for the HVR-1600 is the same as on Hauppauge's website.  On the HD-PVR there is only the latest driver from the Hauppauge website.  Same for audio. 

One telling indicator was when I switched from a HVR-1600 to a HD-PVR.  Doing that changed my indications.  When the HD-PVR is attached and being used in 7MC I see the stuttering but occassionally (multiple times a day) the video will get jerky and then Windows will lock up.  You can watch it as it happens.  Video will get jerky and then start freezing and then display a frame or two and lock up.  As it locks up audio gets all funky (technical term) in that it is like it is in an echo chamber (plays fraction of a second over and over slowly progressing to the next small chunk of audio until the freeze is complete).  When a freeze happens the visual indications of it occuring take place in the span of 10-30 seconds.

What is frustratring in this is that Windows isn't logging any events in the event logs.  Win7 does so much better with logging but when these event occur I'm not finding any traces that Windows is capturing anything.  The real question is if there are enough people experiencing this to get MS to look at it seriously.  There appear to be 2 different groups experiencing it (those who have it happen all the time and those who have it happen after coming back from sleep).  In the posts that I see it is happening in 32 and 64 bit versions, different video cards, and different capture cards.  Curious how many folks experience this problem have dual monitors.

Good luck to everyone on this.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:21 AM
  • I have this problem on a win7-32 and win7-64 RTm professional system. But i also had this problem with Windows Media Center 2005. The solution to that, which is nearly the same problem is that you had to download :
    MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP VIDEO DECODER CHECKUP UTILITY (DECCHECK.EXE )

I have installed (after the problem was happening) the http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html 1st the 32bit and then the 64bit addon.
    With the decheck.exe utility it let to see what codec/decoder was being used ad alowed you to change it. I ran the same thing in win7 and it tells me:
    From Windows Media Center

Does anyone have a newer program to check up on windows 7. And does anyone know of a better codec to use? As i said, in Windows MCE 2005 this was the problem. And a 32bit and a64bit might need different codecs, maybe?
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:26 PM
  • Greetings,

I am having like type of issue when I view live HD content from Comcast, but when I view the information through my XBOX360 Media Center Extender the HD playback is awesome. So, it appears to be sometype of issue when live or recorded media is displayed on the computer. Does anyone know if the codec is different for local and XBOX360. BTW, non-HD content plays fine on both XBOX360 and Media Center on PC. My issue is only with HD content. 

TV Video Card is Hauppauge 2250

Friday, January 15, 2010 4:34 PM
  • VampireLordDoug, what are your system specs?  I have the same tuner card and I have Comcast.  It does not matter type of content, the problem is persistent.  I still record with the tuner card, but have to play it with WMP.  Not ideal. but works.  
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 10:15 AM
  • Update on problem. I have a DELL XPS400 that had A05 BIOS that I then updated to A07 and then the problem went away. HD video now plays correctly in Windows Media Center on Computer and Still plays great on XBOX360.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 3:20 AM
  • I have a Dell XPS420 and am also on Bios A07 and the problem is present for me.  I can stream to 4 different XBOX's on the same network at the same time with not so much as a hiccup but playing on my Win7 Media Center HTPC like clock work every 20 to 30 minutes my video just get a slight pause then continues on. I was thinking maybe this was an ATI driver issue but after reading this thread I'm leaning toward something else. My stutter is on 1080p mkv playback. No errors are logged just a stutter. I have tried playing from different sources and it doesn't seem to matter. My video card is an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT. Problem seems to be related to GPU off loading maybe?
    Monday, January 18, 2010 3:27 PM
  • I have not tried streaming to my Xbox, but I am still having this problem.  I recently put my 9800 GTX+ in one of my Ubuntu boxes and replaced it with a GTX 260 Core 216.  Still the problem is there.  For giggles I put my tuner card into my first Ubuntu box and got all the needed software, took me a while but the results were worth it,  and works like a charm.  All channels, HD and SD, work great and it only has an AMD dual core processor, 2 gb ram and a 8600 GT on a 1680x1050 monitor.  So I am thinking the problem for me is in Windows 7.  I had no problems in Vista Home Premium 64 Bit.

I am still looking around for solutions, but this problems happens on different systems with varying range of components.  What works for one does not work for the next.  Frustrating!

So far I have tried every solution I have read about and no joy.

Still looking for ideas and thoughts.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 11:00 PM
  • Well gang,

It has taken quite a bit of time but my system has started generating alerts and giving me some breadcrumbs to follow.  Windows 7 Media Center it eating my 8800GTS video card alive.  In the last couple of system hangs and the like I get windows alerts just before things go south.  

Windows reports:
        Event 501, Diagnostic-Performance. 
        The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention. 
        Reason: Graphics sybsystem resources are over-utilizied. 
        Diagnosis: A consistent degradation in frame rate for the Desktop Window Manager was observed over a period of time.

Now, before some fellow techie jumps all over this and starts telling me to upgrade hardware I'd like to point out that while new hardware might help, there is still something wrong with Media Center.  I can 4 (yes four) different movies playing at 1080i simultaneously on this machine, muted of course :), without so much as a hiccup.  Vista Media Center worked extremely well on this system and there haven't been any hardware changes to the system.  And I have a P4 based system with a 2400 Pro AGP video card running as a HTPC in the living room and it doesn't suffer from this problem.  If Media Center can work on that system then it should be able to work fine on a quad core system with a 8800GTS card.

I would like to query everyone who is experiencing this problem.  On my living room HTPC I don't have a tuner card running.  Does anyone see a difference in MC performance with vs without a tuner card?  Also, I haven't used MC for a lot of playback.  Does anyone see a difference in playback vs live tv.  Lastly, does anyone see a difference between SD and HD viewing?

If anyone from MS is watching this thread, I'll gladly offer up to test a debug client or do a remote diag session.  This is getting really really old.  I don't want to go back to Vista nor do I want to use Sage.  But what is happening in MC can't continue.  

Sunday, January 24, 2010 2:04 AM
  • hossnine, my laptop does not have a tuner card and it does the same thing with the recorded shows I stream or transfer via homegroup.  The tuner card I have now is the one I had with Vista in my desktop.  SD and HD content that I have on my machine play well in MC.  Recorded SD channels and live TV stutter and freeze, did not do this Vista.  I upgraded my video cards, mainly because I got a great deal, and that did not help at all.  Have 2 gtx 260s and have the hardware enhancement all the way to the left, does not help with sli enabled or disabled.  From what I have read, this problem occurs randomly with different machine specs,high to budget, and varying tuner cards.  I can play all of the video files in WMP fine, just not MC.  I tried converting the wtv files to dvr-ms and this did not work.  Most of the shows I recorded when I had vista play ok.  All of the suggestions I have read about have not fixed the problems I am having. 
    Before I upgraded I ran the check on my system and it all came back green.  Been this way ever since.  Record in MC and watch in WMP. 
    Still looking for ideas and suggestions.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 4:06 AM
  • Hi all,
    I just wanted to join in the chorus. Same issue as all of you and very frustrated at the lack of a solution. My temporary but unsatisfactory fix is to change the power options and stopping the pc from going to sleep altogether. Not ideal at all.

Monday, January 25, 2010 7:55 PM
  • Let me add my input. Perhaps if enough evidence is added, somebody will sit up, take notice and ownership of it, sift out the problem and fix it.
    I'm running two new i7 machines in Australia with SD and HD Antenna TV being accessed via a wired LAN from a SiliconDust HD HomeRun dual tuner.  One computer is giving precisely the symptoms described back in the original post (but no additional problems after sleep) but the other hasn't shown any problems at all (though it's only three weeks old).

The computer giving the trouble is:
    System No.1: Win7-64HP; ASUS P6T; Core i7 920 2.67ghz; 6GB Ram; 1x160GB HD, 2x1TB HD mirrored; 1xATI Radeon HD HIS PCI-E 1GB HD4890 Over Clocker; 32" Hitachi LCD MONITOR; Silicon Dust HD HomeRun tuner on wired LAN; All drivers current; Base Score 5.9.

The computer that seems to be free of the problem is:
    System No.2: Win7-64HP, ASUS P7P55D LE Rev 1.xx; Core i7 860 2.80 ghz; 4GB Ram; 1x320GB HD, 1x1500GB HD; ATI Radeon HD 4670; LG W2343 Monitor; Silicon Dust HD HomeRun tuner on wired LAN; All drivers current; Base Score 5.9.

The No 1 computer started out on Win7-32bit RC with just two 1TB mirrored drives.  I wasn't sure whether this was really a valid configuration (I couldn't quite work out how the OS and applications could be mirrored on two drives) so I got my builder to add an additional 160GB HD for the OS and Apps and went to Win7-64 bit and since then the trouble has started.

Initially, I thought the RAID setup on my two mirrored 1TB hard drives might be slowing things down, so I switched TV recording back to the C drive where I have the Win7 OS and all my other applications. This didn't help at all.  I've turned off indexing on Media Center, turned off screensavers and power saving modes to no effect.

As reported by everybody else, the trouble doesn't show up in Windows logs.

I've looked across a number of Forums now and there is seems to be no commonality.  Variety exists in MOBO manufacturer,  Processor manufacturer or type, Graphics boards, TV Tuners (all types of cards and HomeRun appear), very latest vs slightly older systems - the only observable bias seems to be towards the Win 7 64-bit OS.

It's really so disappointing!  This is the one area that I expected  that Microsoft would have really got sorted out - in fact, Media Center is surely the one and only area that you would imagine that Microsoft and the PC have any sort of assured use and future, and it seems to have been all stuffed up.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:35 AM
  • I  had this problem too, and might have a solution for some. I turned off onbrd-audio reinstall windows 7 and installed nvidia 15.49 chipset driver and then turned onbrd-audio on and installed realtek audio driver and then vga card and tuner last. So far so good. I actually had to turn off computer to get it to stop messing up my signal to my other over-the-air-tuners with everythinng disconnected. My audio and lan are both realtek so I should of even turned off the LAN too, but I didnt.  So I must of had a resource conflict some how.So turn off onbrd lan audio install windows 7 ,install chipset driver, turn-on  Lan and install driver, turn-on audio and install driver, install vga card and driver, then tuner. helped me, later. 
    balittle
    • Proposed as answer by balittle Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:38 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:37 PM
  • I have the same problem here.. my system is

MSI EX625 laptop
    2.0GHz P7350 C2D
    4GB
    512MB ATI 4670 running catalyst 9.12
    DigitalNow TinyTwin USB tuner (Australian)
    Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

stutter occurs after a certain amount of time.. it is particularly noticeable during sports programs.. my problem isn't as drastic as others here.. it's just the fps slows down and you can definitely notice the jerkiness for about 10-20s then it goes back to normal for a little while.. then back to stuttering of course

I never had this problem on Vista 32bit Ultimate (unfortunately I didn't get to test this problem on Vista 64bit Ultimate)

Apparently, reducing the live buffer might rectify things.. there are ways to INCREASE the buffer via registry but the minimum and default time is hardcoded in.. there is a way to hex edit the minimum time.. check out this thread http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/windows-vista-media-center-os/29453-decrease-time-livetv-buffer-30-minuts.html

If someone would like to give that a try and post their results that would be appreciated
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 5:14 AM
  • I have the audio stuttering problem after resuming from SLEEP. No audio application is working correctly - WMP, WMC, etc. But I have no problem with other applications such as Internet Explorer, WinZIP, etc. The only recovering option is to reboot. My system is:

Shuttle SN78SH7
    http://www.shuttle.eu/fileadmin/resources/download/docs/spec/barebones/SN78SH7_e.pdf

Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 8200 (main board with integrated lan, video and audio)

I am using the audio through HDMI.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:44 PM
  • My problem finally seems fixed.  Around Christmas time, I built a new HTPC running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 using a Zotac IONITX-A-U motherboard with Atom N330 dual-core CPU, NVIDIA ION graphics, and 4 GB of RAM.  I was skeptical this could even handle HD well though reviews have been stellar.

My tuners are an analog Angel MPEG USB (very old one from Dell) and a new ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Combo USB stick (via ClearQAM).

I no longer experience ANY issues after sleeping and tuning both analog cable and HD ClearQAM is flawless.

So it seems I found a hardware combination using 64-bit Win7 that doesn't seem to have any tuning issues.  So now it gets more confusing...
    Friday, January 29, 2010 11:13 PM
  • I have the same issue: after coming back from sleep I cannot watch live TV

1. Tuner: WinTV HVR-950q (latest drivers)
    2. It happens on both: Windows Media Center and WinTV 7
    3. It is always resolved by restarting the computer
    4. I tested on 3 different PCs (all Windows 7 Professional) with different video cards with the same result
    5. It looks to me like the memory problem (I think I remember reading on one of the forums too). It gets slower and then just hangs. WinTV7 just dies, MC gives different messages, like "drivers are corrupt", or "drivers are not installed" and asks to reboot the PC

It seems to be either Win7 or Hauppauge drivers or the combination of two.

Would be very appreciative if someone posts a work around for this issue.
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 7:49 PM
  • I have a problem which is like what you all describe here but it happens on ALL channels, all recorded TV and all DVDs.   My graphics crashes out with the atikmdag error and resets causing a 5 seconds blank on the screen (sound stops also). Not putting all my eggs in one basket but it almost seems like the problem lies with the Microsoft DTV/DVD decoder. Every other format (read: codec) works 100% flawlessly which includes BluRay, x264, divX and anything else I've played.

My post here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/w7itpromedia/thread/29cfe030-50c6-486f-8cbc-ee5e213dfe42

Monday, March 22, 2010 4:01 AM
  • Hi all I normally dont response to forums but here goes.....

I was having the same problem with my acer aspire R3610. Live TV and recorded TV audio and video stuttering. I scoured the web for days and tried all the solutions........ cache writing, graphics card performance, drivers, fresh install, faster hard drive, different graphics card...etc....etc..... what finally fix my problem was disabling my wireless card as it seemed like it would stutter as windows constantly scans for networks so after disabling the wireless network adapter TV was silky smooth. Please let me know if this works for anyone else...

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 12:54 PM
  • Admittedly I haven't tried this yet but I will in the next few days when I get home at a decent hour.  But what I have done so far is:

1: Replace my cheap motherboard for something a little more modern as some fixes mention updated BIOS's. No good.

2: Clean install.  No good.

3. New 4GB DDR3 RAM.  No good.

4. Turned off PCI Express Link State Power Management. No good.

5. Removed my ATI HD4550 and use my onboard ATI HD4200 HDMI. **SUCCESS** No atikmdag errors! More noise from HTPC box though due to higher CPU loading and crappier 3D on my old emulators. Log gets smashed by 1000's of DVD errors.

6. Reinstalled HD4550. No good.

7. Will check if pixel format is set to 4:2:0 in ATI Control Centre as the Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder doesn't support 4:2:2. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd390679(VS.85).aspx  <--I'm unsure if the chroma is set in the video input but I know ATI CCC has a chroma setting.

8. Will try sort of what goharvey says and turn off network searching. (Can't remember exact name)

9. Will try turning off wireless networking altogether (Will be unacceptable because I need my wireless network)

10. Will go back to default Microsoft graphic driver once I can figure out how to fix the underscan issue.  It underscans exactly the same as the default ATI 15% underscan but of course gives you no option to remove it.  

11. F*ck it. I lose. Back to the onboard video.

I dunno.  *Seems* like the Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder is having problems dealing with the rest of the world.  All the other codecs cause no issues in other programs for full screen video (WinTV7 for instance). Just Microsoft decoding MPEG2 and DTV.

• Edited by LAzYbONEz Tuesday, April 20, 2010 5:55 AM Edit
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 4:40 AM
  • For giggles, I thought I would try watching live tv and recording with win7 64 bit on  a new HTPC.  I have an MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum with amd AMD 7750 BE with 4 gigs of ram.  I am powering it with a Antec 650 watt PSU.  There are 2 HDDs, 250 gig for OS and 1tb for recordings.  The only part that was added was my Hauppauge 2250 tuner, no other video or audio cards.  I got all the latest drivers MS update.  Still have the same problem.  I uninstalled all of the drivers with a driver cleaner and got the up to date drivers from manufactures wbsite and this did not help.  I installed the bare minimum of software.  Norton security supplied from Comcast, spyware blaster and google chrome.  So, this exercise has shown me that MC does not play well with others.  Live TV stutters, but when I record the show (while not watching) I can play all of the recordings in WMP, not MC.  They look like as if I were watching them live, stuttering and freezing.  I refuse to buy another computer, ion based or other wise, for DVR purposes.  I really do not want to do the TIVO route.
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 8:23 AM
  • I have been having occasional stuttering problems with windows 7 home premium ever since I installed it about four months ago.  It seems to happen most on recorded tv (HD) that I stream from a Windows Home Server to the Win 7 machine.  For a long while I was convinced that the problem was either with disk access on the WHS or transfer accross the gigabyte network between the WHS and Win 7 machine.  However last Sunday I downloaded a program called Lasso Pro which is a "task manager on steriods".  This program allows you to watch in realtime the CPU usage of each process running on the Win 7 machine and change the running priority for each process.  It also flags processes that are causing the PC to slow down by using too much CPU.

Low and behold after playing with Lasso for about an hour, it identified a process ehexehost which was causing the stuttering.  After lowering (permanently) the priority of ehexehost, the stuttering has completely stopped.  As far as I can tell ehexehost is part of Windows 7 Media Center, something to do with extenders, but there is not a lot of information out on it.  Since I don't have any extenders on my system I can't tell any difference except for the fact that the stuttering IS GONE. 

My system consists of two win 7 machines both with tuners recording to a WHS.  Stuttering was happening on both machines.  The machine I installed Lasso has a Intel E7500 CPU and a dual tuner system.  Hope this helps somebody.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 12:22 AM
  • That idea sparked me into looking at the resource usage on my machine last night - if I completely reboot the machine (4850e processor, 4Gb ram, built in HD3200 graphics) 9 times out of 10 normal TV (freesat with a Hauppage HVR3300) works fine and sometimes BBC HD works ok but is usually pixelated, however, when I wake the machine from sleep mode (which uses the same amount of power as off buty is massively quicker so good option) 9 times out of 10 even normal TV stutters (black screen, some audio every 5 to 10 seconds, media centre unresponsive, all other processes are fine). If I restart media center the problem is resolved so it is something to do with the media centre processes on resume.

Last night I had another look at the resource monitor and it seems that when I experience the problem my CPU use for ehshell.exe is 50% or just under. Changing the process priority (up & down) makes no odds at all - so to my mind what I am seeing is that ehshell.exe clearly wants processor time however it is maxing out one of the two cores whilst the other is almost idle. What I didn't think of doing was checking processor use on normal performance but I'm pretty sure it will be somewhat under 50% because the media centre remains responsive.

So that leads me to wonder :

1) Why is ehshell still a monolithic bit of code & not making use of the 2nd core?

2) What is ehshell attempting to do when playing TV after resume from sleep that it does not do after a cold boot?

Final thought - does anyone know if there is a way to restart the media centre service on resume from sleep (it was an option on MediaPortal which sorted issues like this).

I'm sure we'll get there one day!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:18 AM
  • I fixed the image flicker in WMC simply by changing the display theme from an Aero theme to Windows 7 Basic.  Go to Control Panel/Display/Personalization  to change to a basic theme

I ran into the same problem just yesterday after installing a Diamond ATI Wonder Hd 750 USB TV Tuner on my 6 month-old HP Pavillion Entertainment PC running 64 Bit Win 7.  FWIW, I the problem only existed with WMC; the image was completely stable with the HP live tv software that came with this laptop as well as with the Total Media 3.5 software that came with the tuner.

And I also discovered that if I maximize the window the flicker returns.  So it appears, apart from switching to a non-aero windows 7 theme, one may also have to run WMC in a non-maximized window.  I was able to get rid of the flicker by simply closing down WMC and restarting it in a non-maximized window. 

• Edited by jampatashi Monday, June 14, 2010 3:44 AM
    Friday, June 04, 2010 10:43 PM
  • I basically gave up on trying to get mine to work. I cobbled together a Mythbuntu box and have that networked so that I can watch any thing that is on its hdds anywhere in the house. I have no problems out of that machine from day it booted up. It does its job without complaints. I have it attached to a 37" 1080P in the back of the house and powerline connected to the router in the office. It has no problems with HD playback or recording or transferring over the network. I just love when tech works the first time, every time. I have since made it the unofficial media hub of the house. Wife loves that she can stream anything to anywhere with a click/tap. Sorry for the rant on Linux. I still have 3 windows based comps in the house, 2 laptops and a gaming desktop. But, you gotta love something that is simple and does its job.
    Saturday, June 05, 2010 6:33 AM
  • That was one of my first things I did buying a Hauppauge HD-PVR.  Same problem indications.  Like user 'mdcrt' I've pretty much given up on Media Center functionality in Windows 7 and have gone another route.  And that really torques me off as I like media center.  But I'll take a less fancy user interface with reliable recording/viewing over constantly crashing my computer ANY day of the week.
    Saturday, June 05, 2010 3:38 PM
  • I have this tuner (750) and have no problems (dual-core Atom, NVIDIA ION system, 64-bit Win7 Ultimate). I have also built a system (AMD/ATI chipset) for a client using the PCI version (650?) and he has no problems. In fact, I've only had problems with the Hauppage tuners. So the stuttering issue cannot only be attributed to Media Center, on which everyone is still placing the blame...
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 9:33 PM
  • I went through all of the steps to make sure my current system was Windows 7 okay and I got no red flags.  So that means everything, including the tuner card, was fully compliant.  I went ahead and purchased the upgrade and now can not even enjoy what was working in Vista.  I can record and playback the recordings in WMP just fine, but not WMC.  So, that leads me to think it is WMC, not the tuner.  I would like nothing more than to have WMC work, I really liked the ease and look.  But when it does not work, it makes it hard to like.
    Wednesday, June 09, 2010 3:46 AM
  • I've been investigating how my machine gets used - ehshell.exe does occassionally hog a core on the CPU causing problems, however, having disabled the Themes service my ability to access TV is currently working at 100% with no stuttering except when I know something else is going on - I haven't tried very often but I've been experimenting with TV recording so have to check the results occassionally - now by biggest challenge is figuring out why recording seens to work consistently if I let the machine put itself to sleep based on a power profile but works almost at randon if I manually tell it to sleep. While I think about it - my TV checking has included BBC HD.

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 7:42 AM
  • I took everything off, just the basics.  No fancy themes or effects and still no joy.  All I had running was the security suite and what windows loaded.  I even tried dwindling those down to see if it would help, no joy.  It just seems to be the way WMC recorded and handled the signal coming in.  Like I said, I could record and playback in WMP with no problems what-so-ever.  Guess I am one of the unlucky ones.  Oh well, I have a dvr setup in my linux box that works flawlessly with all of the tuners.  Wife is even warming up to the linux box.

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 8:27 AM
  • Hi.

I had a similar problem with LiveTV stuttering (almost every 1-2sec) using Media Center in Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) on my HP laptop using the ATI TV Wonder HD 750 USB TV Tuner. I found that the problem is the result of updating Windows 7 recently (Sept 17, 2010). The updates are posted below. Unfortunately, I do not have the time as yet to go through each update to determine which update(s) caused the problem, but I do recall that when I installed these updates together, stuttering of LiveTV started. However, when I restored my system to an earlier date before the updates were installed and re-installed my TV Tuner driver (removed with System Restore) the stuttering in LiveTV was gone. I have not installed these updates after restoring the system.

Note that initially when the TV Tuner driver was installed before the updates below were installed, there was no stuttering of LiveTV, suggesting that the cause is related to updating Windows 7.

One more thing, using the ATI supplied software (TotalMedia 3.5) to watch live TV there was no stuttering during the same time I had the stuttering problem with Media Center LiveTV. 

Hopefully my experience will help point you and others in the right direction to solving your problem. When I have some time I will look at the effects of installing each update one by one and determine which update(s) is associated with stuttering of LiveTV and I will post my findings.

My system info and the list of Windows Updates are given below.

Cheers.

Computer system:

HP Pavilion dv6-3050ca

CPU: Intel i5-430M; RAM: 4GB

Video card: Integrated Intel HD Graphics (64MB dedicated, 1696MB Total)

Sound card: Integrated Intel Display Audio with IDT High Definition Audio Codec

Input to TV Tuner: analog cable

Windows 7 Updates:

1. Important Updates

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2347290) - 14/09/2010

Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2398632) - 15/09/2010

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2272691) - 24/08/2010

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB982110) - 24/08/2010

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - September 2010 (KB890830) - 14/09/2010

2. Optional Updates

Compro Technology, Inc. - Other hardware, Streaming Media and Broadcast Devices - ATI Unified AVStream Driver - 25/08/2010

Elgato  - Streaming Media and Broadcast Devices - EyeTV Hybrid IR - 1/03/2010

Intel Corporation - Display - Intel(R) HD Graphics - 15/09/2010

• Proposed as answer by EnderRC Tuesday, September 21, 2010 5:48 AM
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 7:10 AM

•  

Hi.

I had a similar problem with LiveTV stuttering (almost every 1-2sec) using Media Center in Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) on my HP laptop using the ATI TV Wonder HD 750 USB TV Tuner. I found that the problem is the result of updating Windows 7 recently (Sept 17, 2010). The updates are posted below. Unfortunately, I do not have the time as yet to go through each update to determine which update(s) caused the problem, but I do recall that when I installed these updates together, stuttering of LiveTV started. However, when I restored my system to an earlier date before the updates were installed and re-installed my TV Tuner driver (removed with System Restore) the stuttering in LiveTV was gone. I have not installed these updates after restoring the system.

Note that initially when the TV Tuner driver was installed before the updates below were installed, there was no stuttering of LiveTV, suggesting that the cause is related to updating Windows 7.

One more thing, using the ATI supplied software (TotalMedia 3.5) to watch live TV there was no stuttering during the same time I had the stuttering problem with Media Center LiveTV. 

Hopefully my experience will help point you and others in the right direction to solving your problem. When I have some time I will look at the effects of installing each update one by one and determine which update(s) is associated with stuttering of LiveTV and I will post my findings.

Cheers.

Computer system:

HP Pavilion dv6-3050ca

Windows 7 Updates:

1. Important Updates

Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2398632) - 15/09/2010

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - September 2010 (KB890830) - 14/09/2010

2. Optional Updates

Compro Technology, Inc. - Other hardware, Streaming Media and Broadcast Devices - ATI Unified AVStream Driver - 25/08/2010

After testing my system (above) by installing each update one by one, I found the problem was from installing the Compro Technology, Inc. - Other hardware, Streaming Media and Broadcast Devices - ATI Unified AVStream Driver - 25/08/2010 via Windows Update. This driver is specific for various ATI TV Tuners, including the one on my computer. As a result, my solution may not apply to those not using an ATI TV Tuner. However, I recommend that you check to see if you have downloaded and installed a recent version of the driver for your TV Tuner, especially if it was part of Windows 7 Update.

Cheers.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 6:01 AM

•  

Hi.

Cheers.

Computer system:

HP Pavilion dv6-3050ca

Windows 7 Updates:

1. Important Updates

2. Optional Updates

After testing my system (above) by installing each update one by one, I found the problem was from installing the Compro Technology, Inc. - Other hardware, Streaming Media and Broadcast Devices - ATI Unified AVStream Driver - 25/08/2010 via Windows Update. This driver is specific for various ATI TV Tuners, including the one on my computer. As a result, my solution may not apply to those not using an ATI TV Tuner. However, I recommend that you check to see if you have downloaded and installed a recent version of the driver for your TV Tuner, especially if it was part of Windows 7 Update.

Cheers.

Thank you for working this out.  I've been experiencing the same issues.  I have an ATI 650 card.  It used to work fine, but in the past few months has had stuttering issues that has driven me crazy trying to figure out.  After trying different drivers for my 8800 Nvidia graphics cards, and older Catalyst drivers--neither helping--I thought it must have been an update from Microsoft.  I'll uninstall this driver and see how things go.

Thanks again.

Monday, October 18, 2010 12:36 PM
  • Been having this problem as well.  My system is AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 9500GT, Hauppauge 2250, Windows 7 32-bit.  This same machine was working just fine with Windows Vista at 1080p without any issues.  Could record HD and watch a different channel without a hiccup.  I then upgraded to Windows 7 and didn't have problems until Comcast rolled out their digital conversion in my area.  After the Comcast conversion, I suddenly started seeing this problem only with live programming such as sports.  Seems like Comcast may have made changes to the encoding they are using for their HD content after the digital conversion which is not working well with Windows default codecs.  I can play blu-ray and lots of 1080p content (e.g. sitcoms, dramas, movies, etc) without issue.  

As a workaround, I've had to drop the resolution of my setup to 1366x768p and it's working on live content without stutter.  Anything higher and the stutter is there, though not as bad as when the resolution is 1080p.  To be honest, from the distance I'm watching TV, the drop in resolution isn't terribly noticeable.

Monday, November 08, 2010 3:59 AM
  • I finally found a solution to the stutter problem I was having.  I tried running at lower resolution (1366x768p) but it didn't completely solve the problem.  It improved compared to running at 1080p but the stuttering was still happening once in a while, especially on live HD broadcasts like sports (no problems on analog).  Same symptoms...  fine for about 15-20 minutes and then stuttering would start and get worse until it was extremely choppy.  Then after several minutes it would clear up on it's own but return after a while.

Based on my research on the topic, it seemed to me the problem was due to an inefficient codec used by Microsoft as part of windows media foundation.  My machine is running on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.8GHz CPU.  I suspect that it's a tad underpowered for running the default Microsoft codec on HD content.  Things had been fine under Vista but wonder if the upgrade to Windows 7 adds a bit more overhead.  

I was considering upgrading to a more powerful machine but decided to try swapping out the default MSFT codec to see if it had better results.  I heard from other forums that swapping out the default codec can break live TV.  But then I read on one forum that there are codecs out there that can be swapped out and still support the DRM requirements needed for the live TV stream.  Figured it was worth giving it a try before I spend hundreds on a new system.

I installed the K-Lite Codec pack for Windows 7 (http://www.codecguide.com/index.html) which includes a handy tool called Win7DSFilterTweaker which let's you easily choose which codecs to use for a given file format and also let's you override the default media foundation codecs.  For all the file formats, I decided to select the Arcsoft codec that came with the Total Media Theater installation.  I then selected the option to disable the media foundation Video codec for DTV-DVD.  I left the media foundation Audio codec for DTV-DVD enabled since disabling it resulted in losing 5.1 sound.

After making these changes, the stuttering problem on HD content has completely disappeared for me.  I also found the overall performance (skipping forward/backward) on HD content to be much improved using the Arcsoft codec.  I have not had any issues watching recorded shows as well as live TV.  I don't get any premium channels - only basic cable - so can't comment if premium content would be impacted.  

In any case, after months of searching, I finally found a solution to this annoying problem and without having to shell out hundreds of bucks on a new system.  Microsoft really needs to get on the ball and improve the default media foundation codecs.  My system now works perfectly fine on all 1080 HD content.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 11:19 PM
  • Update: Ended up getting a new video card to solve my problem.  Disabling media foundation codecs ended up breaking ffwd/rrwd and my wife couldn't live with it.  I do think there is some issue with Nvidia that is related.  My old card was a Nvidia 9500GT.  I tried a Radeon 4450 and problem went away.  I ended up buying a Radeon 5570 and things are fine as well.  Picture quality was better with 9500GT but I can live since stutter was far more annoying.
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 10:48 PM
  • Hi Adrockx,

You have described my problem exactly, even though our hardware is very different. My problem is only with HD TV. Have you learned anything?

PayThePrice

Saturday, January 22, 2011 12:44 AM
  • I think I finally figured this out.  It appears to me that many thousands of Microsoft customers are dealing with this problem.  Here is what appears to have fixed my WMC problem.

WMC is simply a GUI.  It should not be allowed to handle your video motion capture or other processing needs.  Instead, your video card should be doing that.

On my ATI/AMD Sapphire HD3800 card, I went into the Catalyst Control Center settings.  Most of them (in fact, probably all of them as I recall) had check marks for "Let application handle [video motion capture; rendering], etc."  I unchecked all such boxes and instead gave my video card instructions for the card itself to handle video motion capture, rendering, etc.

Voila.  Beautifully smooth video, which also looked richer and sharper to boot, was the result.

WMC is a nice product, but it's just a GUI, not a substitute for your own video card's image rendering.  Tell your card to handle all the video motion capture and rendering functions, instead of leaving those functions to simple GUI applications like WMC, and I'll bet you'll get a fix too.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:05 PM
  • Given the variety of symptoms and possible cures posted in this thread, I suspect that the problems may derive from many causes, and it is likely that no single solution will work for everyone. Like many of you, I have been suffering from both audio and video stuttering in live TV and Blu-ray playback. I recently made three changes to my system and suddenly my problems have disappeared. I can't tell you which made the difference, but here they are:

1. I upgraded my video card from a HIS Radeon HD 5570 (passive) to a Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 (passive). Given the general lack of success people have had with changing video cards, I doubt that this is what cured the problem. In reference to the solution posted by "Heavy R 1 and Only", my HD 5670 is configured to allow applications to control all aspects of video, so this doesn't seem to have been my problem either.

2. I have found that my system is usually just loafing along during media playback, but that audio and video stutters correspond to momentary peak loads. I also discovered that the relatively low CPU usage was allowing the Intel SpeedStep technology to throttle back my CPU. In response, I disabled both CP1E support, and Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS. This is at least a plausible cure, since it enables full speed operation at all times.

3. I discovered that my BIOS had Max CPUID Value Limit enabled, so I disabled it. The CPUID limit is meant to support legacy operating systems like Windows 95, and could prevent Windows 7 from discovering the full capability of the system. Having it enabled could conceivably prevent Windows 7 from fully utilizing the CPU.

Good luck; I hope that this helps some of you.

System info: Asus P5Q Deluxe, Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 GHz, Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 passive, Asus Xonar D2X

Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:06 PM
  • Hi, This thread has gotten too big to read everything, so I apologize if someone pointed this out already. Rarely have I seen such a diversity of computer setups having the same or very similar problems. Obviously the common factor is Windows Media Center . Has Microsoft responded to this or am I missing something?

Chuck
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:15 AM
  • I have had this same problem--video recorded with media center is broken, skips, etc. I have Windows 7 Home Premium, and use TVW750U tuner hooked to my tv cable. In both instances of the same problem: the culprit is

Compro technology other hardware streaming media broadcast devices ATI unified Avstream driver

I had the problem once, then restored to prior to this update and the problem was fixed. In the interim I had forgotten this thing messed up Media Center recordings, so I stupidly applied this optional update again. And, bang, the problem returned. I restored again to just prior to this update and problem is fixed.

DO NOT INSTALL THIS "FIX". IT WILL SCREW UP YOUR MEDIA CENTER.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:39 PM
  • I have passed your info along to folks at MSFT.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 21:39:29 +0000, aerodynsonoficarus wrote:

> the culprit is
    >
    >Compro technology other hardware streaming media broadcast devices ATI unified Avstream driver

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Friday, March 25, 2011 8:59 AM
  • wow 2 years into this thread and no real fix I see... I just experienced the same thing but have a new element. I had been running Mediacenter on Windows 7 Ultimate fine for about a year. Reinstalled in preparation to install a Ceton InfiniTV 4 CableCard Tuner. now I am experiencing glitches with the audio on live TV after approximately 5 to 10 minutes on any digital channel. To fix temporarily just need to pause or rewind. One of the things i noticed though is that this seems to be some sort of buffering error as when I pause or rewind video plays ok then over time the buffer expires and I when the audio chop starts again I am back to live TV again with no 7 seconds buffered.

I checked for the Compro Device, but did not see anything there System Specs are below has anyone else come across a fix on this one I noticed that it kind of died out.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Ceton InfiniTV CableCard Tuner

8 Gigs DDR2 RAM

AMD6000+ running at 3.1

Asus m3a78-em latest BIOS

ATI RADEON 3200 running latest software (yes a bit old, but do not have issues with 1080p MKV files only live TV)

Also should be mentioned that I have 3 extenders hooked to this PC, each of them can play and view live TV HD or SD with no glitch chop or playback.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:46 PM
  • I have the same problem since I curiously installed the Playready part of WMC. WMC was working perfectly for years on my laptop W7- 4 You cannot uninstall it easily and many who have tried have still experienced the 'stutter' problem. I read on other forums that the stutter is due to DRM and can not/will not be fixed as it will need the DRM code to be re written. So if you are looking for a solution try to uninstall remove Playready and the DRM that causes the problem.
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 3:05 AM
  • Oh Man! I had the same stutter problem so common to everyone and I spent just about 8 hours doing all these recommended fixes and tweaks like install reinstall codecs, drivers, 3rd party tools, and all that stuff including registry tweaks and what not! Some even suggested a clean windows re-install! Everything I tried didn't help the stuttering problem in 7mc and I finally got the courage to open up my desktop. All I did was tap and push on all my pci cards and disconnect and reconnect the SATA wire to my HDD! Took all but 2 seconds to fix the stuttering issue! So, lesson here is check if all hardware connections are good because it maybe all there is to it.  
    Monday, January 09, 2012 10:40 AM
  • Sorry I don't have an answer to post but I am having the exact same problem as you.  Watching live TV in MCE for about 20 minutes the audio and video get choppy/stutter, then the audio goes away completely after a short while, video gets super jerky.  Found that pressing the space bar fixes it olny temporarily.  I was running Windows 7x32 and never had this problem.  I added a new SSD drive and installed Windows 7x64 and ever since then have been experiencing this problem.  I really don't think its a hardware issue since so many people with vastly different hardware configurations are having the same problem.  Since this thread seems to have gone cold I wonder if someone out there has found a real solution?

Interestingly all of the TV shows that I record playback ferfectly fine as long as I keep pressing the space bar every few minutes.  So they record on their own just fine.  Its just playing them back that the problem presents itself.  DVD viewing through MCE and WMP is good.  Netflix streaming video is perfectly fine, too.

My system specs:

Windows 7x64

Intel CoreI7 930

Asus P6T Motherboard, 6GB onboard memory

ATI Radeon 5770 1GB video

Hauppauge 2250 TV tuner (dual tuner)

120GB SSD

• Proposed as answer by RottenRon Monday, January 30, 2012 11:59 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by RottenRon Monday, January 30, 2012 11:59 PM
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 2:08 AM
  • if you run WMC IN a window about half the size of the screen do you still have
    the issue?

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 02:08:40 +0000, RottenRon wrote:

>Interestingly all of the TV shows that I record playback ferfectly fine as long as I keep pressing the space bar every few minutes.

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Sunday, January 29, 2012 10:27 AM
  • That did it for me.  I tried everything within my skill level (non-technician but a pc do-it-yourselfer since '81) and nothing worked or even made sense.  That is usually a sign to me that this is definitely a software issue - something that goes deeper than just re-installing the usual drivers and stuff.  So re-installation of the OS made everything all better again.  Next time when installing Windows updates I will just let Windows do it automatically one-at-a-time rather than doing it manually all at once.  Maybe that had something to do with it?  Anyway its all good now.  I am going to keep this drive as Media only so if something like this happens again then I will just wipe it and start over and not have to worry about losing any programs or data.  Too bad I can't trust Microsoft any further than that.  Oh well, maybe Windows 8 will be better - LOL.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:08 AM
  • Hi
    Did you manage to find a fix for you problem, I think Im having the same problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89CBFtryYRk&feature=youtu.be

Thanks

Thursday, February 16, 2012 5:39 AM
  • Just happened on this thread and wanted to throw in my two cents after months of trying to solve a similar problem - I was having stuttering with all playback including live and recorded TV, YouTube, etc.  It turned out to be the Intel Desktop Utilities, and uninstalling IDU fixed it immediately.

If anyone cares, what's apparently happening is that when IDU polls the SMART data from the hard drive, it does something to flush the drive cache, causing Media Center or whatever player you're using to run out of data.  Meanwhile, the Intel Rapid Storage Technology app doesn't do this when polling the same drive for (presumably) the same data.  Intel is aware of this based on a post in their forums, and I assume they will solve it at some point, but as of today the 12/11 version of IDU has not been updated, and that's the one I had to uninstall to stop the stutter.

Dave Nickason - SBS MVP

Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:35 PM
  • set Graphic card to handle all videos...

problem fixed here...

plays perfect on xbox and computer by setting NVidia to handle video.

now I can watch digital ch without shutter or chop

• Proposed as answer by ledsd Friday, January 18, 2013 5:51 PM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 5:51 PM
  • Did you have a separate cable tuner on your computer or you want it on your television "their monitor"?
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 4:56 PM