none
slow start up windows 8

Question

• My laptop (Toshiba satellite C855-S5350/Intel B980/ 6GB DDR3 1333HZ MEMORY/640GB HDD) with Windows 8 takes at least seven minutes to start up.  I have tried all the fixes I can find on the internet and this site but it still takes for ever to start and sometimes it will not respond after being "asleep".  I just get a green screen and no buttons work (not even alt-control-delete).  The laptop is less than a year old.  It is used mainly for research on academic websites and writing papers.   

Saturday, November 09, 2013 3:17 PM

All replies

• When did this start happening?

Did it come with Windows 8?

Does it have a recovery partition?

Saturday, November 09, 2013 4:27 PM
  • About two weeks after I purchased the laptop in May, there was a problem after I plugged in a mouse.  I think it was a driver problem.  I did a system restore to factory and reinstalled my Microsoft Office.  The problem started right after that.  After trying all the "tricks" I have found on the internet, it "only" took 6 and a half minutes to start up.  I just came back to the laptop after not using it for about 30 minutes and when I tried to get on it, there was just a green screen.  I have to force a shut-down in order for it to respond.

It did come with Windows 8.  I am not sure about the recovery partition.  With directions I can find out...I am pretty good at following directions for computer help

Saturday, November 09, 2013 5:09 PM
  • I've not purchased a Laptop with Window 8 on so I don't know how manufacturers are shipping them.

Most Laptops come with a means to set them back to how you first got them.

This should be explained in the Laptop instructions.

You should be able to go back to that version of the O/S when everything worked.

What make and model is the Laptop?

Saturday, November 09, 2013 5:19 PM
  • My laptop is Toshiba satellite C855-S5350/Intel B980/ 6GB DDR3 1333HZ MEMORY/640GB HDD.  I could do another system restore but was hoping there was another solution that wouldn't require me to re-personalize it.  Last time it gave me a little hassle to reinstall Office.  Do you think a system restore to factory is the answer?
    Saturday, November 09, 2013 5:21 PM
  • Hi,

I have just had a quick read of the guide.

See page 55 from the Manual

It appears that you have to create a full backup when you get the PC. Did you do this?

The full backup saves the OS files, applications and drivers. The utility is included with the Laptop.

A refresh is "going to refresh the OS and attempt to keep your files and settings"

A reset is "going to restore Windows back to it's original state"

Before doing anything make sure you have backed up all of your work and that you have all the keys to your applications.

What I always suggest is this. As soon as you have configured your device to how you want it and you are confident that it works.

"!!MAKE A FULL BACKUP!!"

So proceed with caution.

Make sure you have all your keys to hand.

Make sure you have all your data backed up.

You may have to re-install Office again. But you don't have to ever again if you create your own base build with it already on.

• Edited by midi25 Saturday, November 09, 2013 5:48 PM error
    Saturday, November 09, 2013 5:47 PM
  • Follow my guide and create a boot trace:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=158252

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Saturday, November 09, 2013 7:33 PM