none
Error Code 0x8078002A

Question

• It seems that Microsoft has stopped responding to this thread about error code 0x8078002A.  I noticed that since 2008 when Microsoft claimed that ONLY 2 people had the "rare" error code, Microsoft has not posted anything.  Today, I join the long list of people with this problem of trying to make a system image backup  Hardware is Win 7 Pro (64 bit), 16 GB memory, C drive is a SDD, D drive is a 600GB HD at 10,000 rpm, and E drive is a standard 1TB at 7,200 attempting to make system image to a  fresh out of the box WD My Book Essential 3TB USB 3.0.  When I use my Verbatim 2TB HD USB 3.0, no problem making the system image.  The posting seem to hint the problem is how the backup HD is formated, so that is what I will try next to fix the problem Microsoft does not want to admit exists.
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2510009 for more information.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, July 25, 2011 8:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2510009 for more information.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, July 25, 2011 8:39 AM
  • hello Alert Me - I am experiencing the same problem and have been wrestling with it for a couple months now. (WD My Book 3TB) using windows 7 home premium. I want to use the windows for backup and not the WD Smartware. I am at the point of returning the drive to costco. Just curious, did you ever get a resolution to this problem?

Thanks,

Bill

Sunday, June 10, 2012 8:19 PM
  • I'm also experiencing the same problem but with a 3TB Seagate external hard drive.  None of the KB articles that were linked to above resolved the issue.  
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 2:26 PM
  • My answer to get this fixed once and for all after dozens of hours chasing this:

Using a WD External 3TB USB 3.0 dive on a USB 2.0 port.

Refomat the drive, but DON'T USE WINDOWS to format!

Use the WD Drive formatter. Then, Install updated SES drivers, again, DON'T USE WINDOWS 7 EMBEDDED DRIVERS!

Use the WD SES drivers from their support site instead...

I also applied the suggesgtion to change the default partition sizes that HP configured to have more free space on the drive.

Changed SYSTEM from 100MB to 400MB, changed FACTORY_IMAGE partition from 15GB to 25GB and Voila!

• Edited by gagnonray Sunday, March 31, 2013 2:56 PM
    Sunday, March 31, 2013 2:56 PM
  • hello

for my setup, this is not a solution

the kb is installed on my machine and it still does not work

1) other BU software tools work

2) explorer copy/paste on same external HD works

so, a WS BU issue is more than likely

acontrario

Thursday, February 27, 2014 7:00 PM