none
Keyboard and mouse freeze randomly

Question

• My keyboard and mouse freeze up for 2-4 seconds at seemingly random intervals.  I could go for a couple hours without it happening, or like now, it has happened twice while writing this.  If I'm typing something when it freezes, nothing I type while it's frozen ends up showing up, but if I had hit a key right when it froze, it will repeat itself until I press something else after it unfreezes.  They keyboard and mouse both freeze at the same time, it's not one or the other.  It has nothing to do with standby like the topic below...it can happen right after I boot up or anytime thereafter.

My hardware is an eMachines M6805 laptop (upgraded to 2GB of RAM) and just a basic Dell USB mouse and keyboard.

I tried searching the forums, but the search box on here searches the entire web for some reason even if I tell it to search TechNet, so I apologize if this has already been answered.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:21 PM

Answers

• Try to connect your keyboard and mouse directly to your laptop's USB ports (instead of using the USB hub) and see if they still freeze.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:07 PM

All replies

• Have you tried connecting the peripherals to different USB ports? Does your regular keyboard suffer the same problem?
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:44 PM
  • I had them connected to a USB Hub...I took them out and will update.  As far as the regular laptop keyboard, I'm not sure...I have the laptop connected to a monitor, so I never even open my laptop except to use the power button
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:05 PM
  • Try to connect your keyboard and mouse directly to your laptop's USB ports (instead of using the USB hub) and see if they still freeze.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:07 PM
  • Sorry, just realized how bad I worded that.  When I said that I took them out, I meant that I took them out of the hub.  I'll let you know if it still does it.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:19 PM
  • Hmm, that seems to have been the problem...either that or it just decided to not do it for a while (it was happening pretty frequently before I changed them.

Bleh, now I'm using all of my USB ports even though I have a USB hub (2 of them are on the side of my laptop so it looks cluttered).  My external hard drive locks up my computer if I try booting with it plugged in to the hub also.

Anyways, thanks for the help...that seems to be working.  I'll update if it comes back.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:46 PM
  • It sounds like you're using an unpowered hub, which in my experience tends to cause most common errors with USB peripherals. It's definitely not recommended to connect any USB devices which aren't supplied with a power adapter (for instance some 2.5" external HDs and those small photo printers). These sort of devices should be connected directly to your laptop at all times.

You could also consider buying a powered hub, i.e. an USB hub which draws its power from a separate power adapter (and not your single laptop USB port).
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Actually, the one I have IS a powered hub, and I just verified that it is getting power
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:49 PM
  • my keyboard freezes too but it's a normal a4tech keyboard. also it does this mid session with no apparent reason. if i reset the pc several times and remove it between resets it works again

what could the cause of this problem?
    Monday, July 20, 2009 10:33 AM
  • I have this same problem with my Dell port replicator (it is powered). Very bad mouse lag, plug and play sound constantly and keyboard repeat.

I have to plug them into the laptop which kind of defeats the purpose of the dock. Funny thing I never had the problem with XP and I had been using it with Windows 7 (32-bit) for a few months and the problem just recently started. I also find it is bad when browsing sites with Shockwave/Flash.

For some reason, it seems like Windows 7 is much more sensitive to this issue.
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 9:34 PM
  • I also have the same freezing and keyboard stuttering problem with Windows 7 and a Dell D-Dock.  Plugging the mouse and keyboard directly into the laptop solves the problem, but the reason I use the docking station is to avoid having to plug/unplug devices every time I dock or undock.

This problem just started occuring a couple of weeks ago, so I'm thinking that an updated driver introduced in one of the Windows 7 updates is probably to blame.  It also appears that the mouse driver, not the keyboard driver is to blame as the problem does not occur when only the mouse is plugged directly into the laptop.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:02 PM
  • My user is also complaining about this.

He is on a Dell D620 with docker running Windows 7.

I have moved his mouse out of his docker, and will see if that helps.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 1:27 PM
  • My user is also complaining about this.

He is on a Dell D620 with docker running Windows 7.

I have moved his mouse out of his docker, and will see if that helps.

Same Here. Exactly the same. When I have "Standard VGA Driver" installed, I have no problems, it's when I install the Nvidia Quadro 110m drivers, AND have it docked, is when mouse freezes randomly, and also, when I am using IE 8, doing google searches, when it decides to freeze, it willlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll repeat the letter I typed, just like the example in this sentence. :-)

Someone find a solution please!

Saturday, April 03, 2010 11:00 PM
  • I have exatcly the same problem as reported above. I have a newly bought computer (Packard Bell iPower G3720) with all drivers up-to-date.

In my case it worked fine for a few days, then both my mouse and keyboard became totally unresponsive even though everything else continued to run without problem (skype and Starcraft 2). Restarted the computer by power button, (windows gracefully shut down). After this, my keyboard works again but the mouse glitches frequenly.

I am now using the ps2 mous and keyboards that came with the computer, problem is stil present. Any help would be much appriciated.

Thursday, August 05, 2010 5:59 PM
  • I think I may have a resolution for this problem.  Try going into the Device Manager, to Universal Serial Bus controllers.  Then double-click each of the USB Root Hub entries, go to the Power Management tab, and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."   That's it.

I've been extremely frustrated by keyboard and mouse lag/stutter/freezing through my Kensington USB dock (Win7 Home Premium 32).  I didn't have the lag issues when I plugged them directly into the laptop, but through the dock, it was "H-E-double hockey sticks".  I just stumbled across the power management settings and thought, "Wouldn't it be crazy if the laptop was constantly turning the USB ports on and off to save power?"  And I haven't had a keyboard or mouse lag/stutter in the last half hour. 

Hope this helps!

• Proposed as answer by Chris Broussard Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:29 AM
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:29 AM
  • Chris

Mate if this works...

Whwereever you are I'll get there and buy you a drink or 2 or 3 or as much as you like

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:54 PM
  • Corporate IT just forced Windows 7 on me about 2 months ago and I started having this issue immediately.  I have had this Dell Precision M90, with port replicator/docking station, for more then 3 years running XP without this issue. IT is at a loss. 

I just ran across the USB power solution here and, with an extra step at USB Mouse Freezes Fix and Windows 7 - Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads.

I tried it and it does not work. I have rebooted and verified the settings and the mouse is still freezing.

Anybody have any other ideas?

• Edited by DugWill Friday, July 01, 2011 4:45 PM typos
    Friday, July 01, 2011 4:42 PM
  • I too am having the exact same problem. here are the details, and what I've done and tested.

I run Windows 7 64bit on my HP.

Ever since I got windows 7. My keyboard has been freezing up at random times during gaming,wordpad anything, it happens when I hit any key, be it a single key, or a combination. My caption light, flashes when it does it, then my keyboard doesn't receive any input for about 2 - 3 seconds. Also if I'm holding a key at the time of the flash, that key gets stickied, and that key is then spammed unless I clear it by hitting the windows key in games, or closing the program in word.

I have spent the last 6 months with the annoying problem and I have been searching for a solution. I have tried the following below, and none have worked.

1. turned all the ease of access features off.(accessibility features)
    2. tried different keyboards.
    3. tried different USB ports.
    4. Made sure my turn off USB to save power options are unchecked
    5. tried in safe mode.
    6. Bought brand new keyboards

I would love some solution to this, it really hinders my game play and is a huge annoyance. I might have to go bck to vista at this rate.
    • Edited by Isaac Davis Sunday, November 20, 2011 1:29 AM
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 1:25 AM
  • I just had my Desktop freeze whilst I was using Media Player minimised to the taskbar.

I came back to my PC and couldn't use the keyboard or mouse. I plugged in a wired USB mouse and this did not work either. I then used the mouse and keyboard buttons on my MCE remote and still nothing happened, actually something happened as my hard drive became very busy, but there was nothing happening on screen. I had to reboot to get back to normal operation.

I use a Logitech Bluetooth MX500 keyboard and mouse and have been having problems since I had Windows 7, but thought it was the keyboard and mouse at fault. This is the first time that I have encountered this problem, but I have had problems with the keys sticking, very annoying when you're in Visual Studio and it goes and deletes a load of code for you because the backspace key was the one that stuck. The cursor also randomly jumps lines occasionally and inserts text where I don't want it. This wouldn't be such an issue if I was a touch typist and could look at the screen whilst typing, but I am not and only realise the errors when I have finished typing.

Anyway, Mine is a custom built PC(all drivers and windows fully up to date) which ran XP with zero problems:

Gigabyte mboard and graphics card (Nvidia) with I5 processor and 4GB ram.

If this was a USB hub Powersave issue, then I would still expect the hub to wake up when a new device was pugged in, so I'm going to count that fix out.

I'm not sure that the freezing was a mouse/keyboard fault, I suspect that this is more a video driver fault as the computer did become very busy doing something when I used the MCE remote, it's just the screen didn't update to show what it was doing. I should have looked at the taskbar clock to see if the time had updated, I'll do that next time if it happens again.

I've disabled the Power Save options for the hub that controls the mouse and keyboard, perhaps this will stop the keys sticking and jumping around when I'm typing in Visual Studio.

Mick Doherty
    http://dotnetrix.co.uk
    http://glassui.codeplex.com
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 12:16 PM
  • same thing happened to me. good thing a friend of mine had a tip that worked like a charm. like you i got a Windows 7 x64 Ultimate on my desktop. am using a Logitech MX518 USB Gaming Mouse.
    hope this helps!
    Saturday, January 07, 2012 2:18 AM
  • This has been driving me insane for the past couple days.  I think I finally figured it out.  In the device manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, bring up the properties for the USB Root Hub Properties and click the Power Management tab and uncheck "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power".  So far this has worked for me, hopefully it will keep working because it was driving me nuts!
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:10 AM