none
[Windows 7 compatibility solutions] Zinstall vs XP Mode

Question

• Hi, I'm looking for a way to run XP legacy apps in Windows 7, apps like IE6-based CMS (proprietary) and ACDSee, for a network I manage in a medium-sized design/print shop (among others).

After some research, I'm now down to using either Microsoft XP Mode or Zinstall XP7 .
    The Zinstall thing seems like XP Mode, but integrated and also migrates the apps from XP by itself, not just a blank Windows.
    The XP Mode is from MS and is free with Windows 7 Ultimate, which is great. However, totally unavailable without VT or on lesser Win flavors?

What are the pros and cons of each?
    What would you recommend?
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:05 PM

Answers

• I just saw a youtube screencast of Zinstall doing a migration of an old Windows XP to a new Windows 7 computer and it looks pretty cool.
    I also did some digging on their site and found a comprasion sheet between Zinstall and "XP mode" in their faq .

All in all - I like Zinstall's concept of migrating the entire old computer VS. XP mode that is just a tool that help you solve compatibility issues by hand.

Hope this helps,
    Barakando

Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:16 AM
  • Hi Jkerrik,

It depends on your requests. Windows XP Mode allows you start the XP applications directly in Windows 7. You do not need to start Windows Virtual PC first. It is much more convenient. In addition, Microsoft provides free copies of Windows XP Mode for Windows 7. It is not necessary for you to purchase a copy of Windows XP operating system. This is the advantage. Zinstall will cost you $89 and you must have a genuine copy of Windows XP.

For more information about Windows XP Mode, you may refer to the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7#section_1

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, November 20, 2009 5:04 AM

All replies

• I just saw a youtube screencast of Zinstall doing a migration of an old Windows XP to a new Windows 7 computer and it looks pretty cool.
    I also did some digging on their site and found a comprasion sheet between Zinstall and "XP mode" in their faq .

All in all - I like Zinstall's concept of migrating the entire old computer VS. XP mode that is just a tool that help you solve compatibility issues by hand.

Hope this helps,
    Barakando

Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:16 AM
  • Hi Jkerrik,

It depends on your requests. Windows XP Mode allows you start the XP applications directly in Windows 7. You do not need to start Windows Virtual PC first. It is much more convenient. In addition, Microsoft provides free copies of Windows XP Mode for Windows 7. It is not necessary for you to purchase a copy of Windows XP operating system. This is the advantage. Zinstall will cost you $89 and you must have a genuine copy of Windows XP.

For more information about Windows XP Mode, you may refer to the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7#section_1

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, November 20, 2009 5:04 AM
  • Some details about the company and various products:
    http://www.mypsick.com/archives/2308
    Well it's Hebrew, but you can use Google Translation
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 1:25 PM