none
WPD FileSystem Volume Driver

Question

• Hi there,

my SanDisk flash drive suddenly is not working. It's detected in the "devices and printers," in "device manager," and even in the "disk management." But, i can find it in my explorer.

Then, I try the troubleshooter, and end up with this:

Hardware and Devices

Issues found
    WPD FileSystem Volume Driver has a driver problem
    <data id="Description" name="Description">There is a problem with the driver for WPD FileSystem Volume Driver. The driver needs to be reinstalled.</data>
    Not fixed

Reinstall device driver
    Completed
    Hardware changes might not have been detected
    <data id="Description" name="Description"></data>
    Detected

Scan for recent hardware changes
    Completed
    Potential issues that were checked
    Windows Update configured to never install drivers
    <data id="Description" name="Description">Driver updates aren't automatically installed when detected by Windows Update.</data>
    Issue not present
    Issues found
    Detection details
    Not fixed

<data id="Description" name="Description">There is a problem with the driver for WPD FileSystem Volume Driver. The driver needs to be reinstalled.</data>

Device information
    Name: WPD FileSystem Volume Driver
    ID: WPDBUSENUMROOT\UMB\2&37C186B&0&STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_SANDISK&PROD_CRUZER_BLADE&REV_1.10#200634860009F6B2A0DA&0#
    Error code: 10
    Reinstall device driver
    Completed
    <data id="Description" name="Description">There is a problem with the driver for WPD FileSystem Volume Driver. Reinstalling the driver might fix this problem.</data>
    Detected

Scan for recent hardware changes
    Completed
    <data id="Description" name="Description">Scanning might find new devices attached to your computer and install them.</data>
    Potential issues that were checked
    Detection details
    Issue not present
    <data id="Description" name="Description">Driver updates aren't automatically installed when detected by Windows Update.</data>

So, i don't what else to do. it's only happening in my laptop. i tried in other computer, it works. Is there a problem with my WPD driver? and how can I renew or reinstall it with the uncorrupted one (if this is the problem).

Thanks.

Saturday, October 06, 2012 7:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

WPD stands for Windows Portable Device. It's the driver that allows the USB devices for Media Syncing. It is also required for ReadyBoost to work. The driver is not installed and hence you are getting this error.

I would suggest you to first try uninstall the current corrupted driver and reboot computer to reinstall it.

Please try the following suggestions:

1. Click start

2. Type devmgmt.msc in Start Search and press Enter

3. In Device Manager locate the USB device, right click on it and select the option uninstall.

4. Restart the computer and check.

If the above suggestions are not useful, please open diskmgmt.msc and assign a driver letter for that drive.

Also, you may contact the manufacturer and get the latest driver for your Windows 7.

For more information you may refer the following link and run the Fixit for resolving USB Device issues:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-USB-devices   

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 8:50 AM
  • Hi Spencer,

Glad to see you replied my question. however, after uninstalling and restarting, the problem still persists. I used microsoft fix it, but it cannot fix it... my flashdrive is still undetected in my explorer. windows portable device still has that yellow exclamation mark. error code number 10. so, i send the troubleshooter according to the procedure.

here is the link: http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/Portal/fixit/details/200/7572bef7-9c9b-4833-b422-7e5cb9bea355

so, what should i do next? thanks.

Banua

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 7:15 PM
  • does the stick show up on another rig, if it does you may be advantaged with a clean install of windows

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. More people have climbed Everest than having 3 MVP's on the wall.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:20 AM
  • did you mean, does the flash drive work on another computer? yes. i tried it on a computer on my campus, it worked. i can save files. but, when i tried to open it in my own laptop, it won't show in the explorer.

and, what does it mean by be advantaged with a clean install of windows? should i reinstall my windows? sorry, my english is not so good.

another thing.  i can use another flash drive. another flash drive (Kingston) or my external harddisk is detected and i can save or load files from them. but, not on this specific sandisk flash drive. if it's broken, why then i could open it in other computer? so, i get confused.

thank you, Vegan.

• Edited by Banua Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:43 AM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:42 AM
  • if another stick works, use that, could be the stupid sandisk software is the problem, i wiped my stick the day I bought it 

all my old sticks are now plugged into a USB hub for ReadyBoost

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. More people have climbed Everest than having 3 MVP's on the wall.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:47 AM
  • :( it means i cannot use that stick anymore in this particular laptop...well, no missing data, but it is a handy 16gb storage. but, anyway, thank you for the answer. i really appreciate it.

Banua

• Edited by Banua Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:52 AM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:52 AM
  • as I said if USB issues continue, probably time to backup and install 7 fresh

windows can get mangled due to driver conflicts etc

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:23 PM