none
slow login after windows password, desktop manager responsiveness has degraded

Question

• sorry but this problem has not been resolved

as the title states, when windows boots up and i enter my account password I see a black screen for about 25-40 seconds before i finally see my desktop.  Once i see the desktop the cpu is running high for awhile and programs won't open when I click them. I tried to open firefox and about 2 minutes later it opened. Even while the computer is sitting idle the cpu jumps from high to low for no reason. 

another thing

I checked the performance information and tools and it says "desktop manager responsiveness has degraded" which I read can be solved by turning off the eye candy. Is there any way to fix this without turning off aero? These are two issues I'm having with windows 7 RC right now.

i checked device manager for drivers and everything seems to be up to date

intel core duo processor t2050
    2gb ram
    80g hdd
    windows 7 RC 32bit
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:47 PM

All replies

• Hi xicanonaztlanca,

I suspect the two issues are related… Is there any third party software named Desktop Manager installed? If so, temporary remove it and see if the issue occurs.

Please also see if the it occurs in Safe Mode. To do this, restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up. If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, please test in Clean Boot. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

However, if the issue occurs in Clean Boot mode, please try updating the drivers for your hardware (especially the display card driver) and see if the issue occurs. In addition, please press Ctrl+Shift+Esc combine key to bring up Task Manager. Find the process which is taking the most usage of the CPU in the Processes tab.

Also, could you please collect the System Information by the steps below for further research?

1. Press Start, type in msinfo32 in the Start Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

4. Upload the compressed file to SkyDrive at www.skydrive.live.com and let me know the link.

Regards,

Linda

Friday, October 16, 2009 7:44 AM
  • the only program with "desktop manager" is blackberry desktop manager will that cause the slow login??

UPDATE:

hey linda i tried safe mode and the login took 23 seconds to show my desktop after inserting my windows user account password.

*I logged back into windows like always and it took 48 seconds, I did this timing with my watch, not scientific but 25 second difference is very noticeable.

*When i go into msconfig and hide all microsoft services the only program which was left "checked" was  "toshiba optical disk drive service"
    under general "selective startup" the only one i left check was Load system services like instructed in the instructions for clean boot.

* I tried the following steps and I saw a huge difference in the amount of time it took to show the desktop after inserting my password.
       only 13 seconds now.

If you use Windows Vista

To perform a clean boot on a computer that is running Windows Vista, follow these steps.
    1. Click Start
      Collapse this image Expand this image
      Start button
      , type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

Collapse this image Expand this image
      User Account Control permission
      If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue .
    2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup .
    3. Under Selective Startup , click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
    4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All .
    5. Click OK .
    6. When you are prompted, click Restart .

what do you think it could be from this? it take 13 seconds now instead of 48 seconds. Is it bad if i don't restore the service again on msconfig?? should i leave "load startup items" unchecked? what are the negative things of doing this?
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 4:39 AM
  • Hi xicanonaztlanca,

In Clean Boot mode, the system loads only those files and programs that are absolutely required by the operating system. Basically, the more programs are loaded, the slower the startup time is. Therefore, it is recommended only loading the necessary programs (such as the security software) and services from "MSCONFIG" to speed up the startup time.

Regards,

Linda

Monday, October 19, 2009 3:17 AM
  • Hi xicanonaztlanca,

In Clean Boot mode, the system loads only those files and programs that are absolutely required by the operating system. Basically, the more programs are loaded, the slower the startup time is. Therefore, it is recommended only loading the necessary programs (such as the security software) and services from "MSCONFIG " to speed up the startup time.

Regards,

Linda

when you say, "and services from msconfig" which services do you mean exactly? is there a check box I should mark?

13 seconds to show the desktop is an improvement over 48 seconds but it still seems like too much time doesn't it? Can you or anyone else tell me how long it takes for your desktop to show after putting your password in?

what else do you recommend that I do linda to improve the login time?
    Monday, October 19, 2009 8:19 PM
  • Hi xicanonaztlanca,

The "services" previously mentioned are third party services which we've disabled in Clean Boot mode. We shall check "Hide All Microsoft Services" to prevent disabling Microsoft services.

Regarding the show desktop time, on my AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 5400B, 2GB RAM machine which installed Windows 7 RTM x32 version, it takes about 5 seconds to show the desktop after typing the password (with a few necessary programs and services enabled).

If you are still concerned about the startup time, let's refer to the information below and see if it helps.

First, could you please help to clarify the following factors?

-           When did the issue first occur? Did it occur immediately after installing Windows 7?

The slow startup issue also can be caused by the following factors:

-           Hardware and its configuration (It is possible the hard drive disk is not in good performance. Please check if the hard drive disk is old.)

-           Hardware driver is not compatible with the system or is damaged

-           Corrupted user account

-           Virus and spyware infection

Here I included some suggestions in checking this kind of issues:

·          Scan virus and spyware.

·          Temporary remove the security software installed. This is only for test and you can reinstall it once we confirm it is not the culprit.

·          Double confirm if all the drivers installed are compatible for Windows 7.

·          Remove Unknown Devices

============

1. Go to Start, right click "Computer" and chooses "Properties".

2. Click the "Advance system settings" on the left pane,

3. On the Advanced tab, click "Environment Variables"

4. Click "New" under the "System Variables"

5. Enter "DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES" (without quotations) in the Variable Name, and set Variable Value to 1.

6. Go to Start, type "DEVMGMT.MSC" in the Search box and then press Enter. Please click "Allow" if the User Account Control window is prompted.

7. Enter Device Manager, and choose View from the tab and Click Show Hidden Devices.

8. Please browse the Device Manager check if there are any problem devices (which there is a yellow! in front of the item) or hidden device (Which is grey), right click on it and choose uninstall if any.

9. Please also uninstall all devices listed in the "Other devices" category.

10. Restart the computer.

·          Device Clean Boot

============

Please unplug all unnecessary devices to test the issue. In this situation, your system will only have the basic hardware devices and it should be more stable.

If it is inconvenient to unplug the devices, we can disable them in Device Manager. Please refer to the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type "DEVMGMT.MSC" in the Search textbox and press Enter. Please click "Allow" if the User Account Control window is prompted.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your Sound Card, select "Properties"

4. Click "Driver" tab, click Disable (Disable the selected device). Click OK.

5. Please use the same method to disable other hardware such as: Modem, network card, CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

Then, restart your computer. Does it still freeze now?

If the system is stable, we can re-enable the devices one by one to narrow down the root cause.

If the issue reoccurs in Device Clean Boot, the root cause must can be the hardware devices that cannot be disabled, such as display card, motherboard and CPU. If so, you still need to contact your computer vendor to check the hardware issue.

·          Test in a new user account.

============

Please create a new user account and see if the startup item improves in the new environment.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Linda

• Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, October 26, 2009 1:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by xicanonaztlanca Monday, October 26, 2009 4:23 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:52 AM
  • Hi xicanonaztlanca,

The "services" previously mentioned are third party services which we've disabled in Clean Boot mode. We shall check "Hide All Microsoft Services" to prevent disabling Microsoft services.

Regarding the show desktop time, on my AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 5400B, 2GB RAM machine which installed Windows 7 RTM x32 version, it takes about 5 seconds to show the desktop after typing the password (with a few necessary programs and services enabled).

If you are still concerned about the startup time, let's refer to the information below and see if it helps.

First, could you please help to clarify the following factors?

-           When did the issue first occur? Did it occur immediately after installing Windows 7?

The slow startup issue also can be caused by the following factors:

-           Hardware and its configuration (It is possible the hard drive disk is not in good performance. Please check if the hard drive disk is old.)

-           Hardware driver is not compatible with the system or is damaged

-           Corrupted user account

-           Virus and spyware infection

Here I included some suggestions in checking this kind of issues:

·          Scan virus and spyware .

·          Temporary remove the security software installed . This is only for test and you can reinstall it once we confirm it is not the culprit.

·          Double confirm if all the drivers installed are compatible for Windows 7 .

·          Remove Unknown Devices

============

1. Go to Start, right click "Computer" and chooses "Properties".

2. Click the "Advance system settings" on the left pane,

3. On the Advanced tab, click "Environment Variables"

4. Click "New" under the "System Variables"

5. Enter "DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES" (without quotations) in the Variable Name, and set Variable Value to 1.

6. Go to Start, type "DEVMGMT.MSC" in the Search box and then press Enter. Please click "Allow" if the User Account Control window is prompted.

7. Enter Device Manager, and choose View from the tab and Click Show Hidden Devices.

8. Please browse the Device Manager check if there are any problem devices (which there is a yellow! in front of the item) or hidden device (Which is grey), right click on it and choose uninstall if any.

9. Please also uninstall all devices listed in the "Other devices" category.

10. Restart the computer.

·          Device Clean Boot

============

Please unplug all unnecessary devices to test the issue. In this situation, your system will only have the basic hardware devices and it should be more stable.

If it is inconvenient to unplug the devices, we can disable them in Device Manager. Please refer to the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type "DEVMGMT.MSC" in the Search textbox and press Enter. Please click "Allow" if the User Account Control window is prompted.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your Sound Card, select "Properties"

4. Click "Driver" tab, click Disable (Disable the selected device). Click OK.

5. Please use the same method to disable other hardware such as: Modem, network card, CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

Then, restart your computer. Does it still freeze now?

If the system is stable, we can re-enable the devices one by one to narrow down the root cause.

If the issue reoccurs in Device Clean Boot, the root cause must can be the hardware devices that cannot be disabled, such as display card, motherboard and CPU. If so, you still need to contact your computer vendor to check the hardware issue.

·          Test in a new user account .

============

Please create a new user account and see if the startup item improves in the new environment.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Linda

Hi linda,
    thanks for your helps so far.  I did all the steps you mention but the login is still very slow.  The login time is back up to about 30+ seconds not 13 seconds like mentioned earlier.  I disabled all the devices mentioned in your post and unistalled Microsoft security essentials also with no positive result. 
    one device under "other devices: Unknown device" has the yellow icon which refuses to uninstall (location: on Microsoft ACPI compliant system)
    Something new just occurred right now, I still haven't enabled all the devices and "action center"  brought up a message saying, "Attempt repairs of disk volume errors: reboot computer to repair volume problems such as bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files, and directory errors. "

Does this tell you anything new?
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:40 PM
  • Hi xicanonaztlanca,

Before we going any further, could you please answer the following questions first?

Generally, if the issue occurred after a clean installation of Windows 7, it shall be caused by the hardware configuration.

According to the error message you provided, it seems the hard disk is damaged which is one of the possible causes mentioned in my last post. How old is your hard disk? You may have to replace the hard disk with faster speed for better performance.

In the meantime, you also can try the following suggestions to check disk and see if the issue can be fixed.

Method 1:

======

1. Click the Start Button, type "cmd" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar.

2. Right click on the search result listed upper and click Run as Administrator.

3. In the open command window, input the following command and press Enter Key after it.

Chkdsk /f /r

4. Please type Y and press Enter.

5. Please restart the computer and let the tool check all drives on the computer.

Method 2:

======

1. Click the Start Button, click Computer.

2. Right-click on the hard drive you would like to check and choose Properties.

3. Switch to the Tool tab and click on the "Check Now" button. Click Continue if necessary.

4. Select both the "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" options.

Note: If we are trying to check the system drive, we may need to restart the computer to complete the check process.

5. Click Start.

Note: It is recommended to repeat the steps above to check the disk twice so that most of the error can be found and fixed.

Good luck!

Linda

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:13 AM
  • Hi xicanonaztlanca,

Before we going any further, could you please answer the following questions first?

Generally, if the issue occurred after a clean installation of Windows 7, it shall be caused by the hardware configuration.

According to the error message you provided, it seems the hard disk is damaged which is one of the possible causes mentioned in my last post. How old is your hard disk? You may have to replace the hard disk with faster speed for better performance.

In the meantime, you also can try the following suggestions to check disk and see if the issue can be fixed.

Method 1:

======

1. Click the Start Button, type "cmd" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar.

2. Right click on the search result listed upper and click Run as Administrator.

3. In the open command window, input the following command and press Enter Key after it.

Chkdsk /f /r

4. Please type Y and press Enter.

5. Please restart the computer and let the tool check all drives on the computer.

Method 2:

======

1. Click the Start Button, click Computer.

2. Right-click on the hard drive you would like to check and choose Properties.

3. Switch to the Tool tab and click on the "Check Now" button. Click Continue if necessary.

4. Select both the "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" options.

Note: If we are trying to check the system drive, we may need to restart the computer to complete the check process.

5. Click Start.

Note: It is recommended to repeat the steps above to check the disk twice so that most of the error can be found and fixed.

Good luck!

Linda

the issue did not occur right after installing windows 7 it just kept getting slower and slower as time passed by.  The hard drive is about 3 years old now it hasn't been giving me problems or anything.  This was the first time I see the message about the bad sectors.  I will try your suggestion now, I'll let you know what happens
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:15 AM
  • ok I just did the chkdsk and the slow login is still present.  I'm going to download software from WD to do a diagnostic using their software and see what it tells me.  Ill let you know what it says.

here is that file you requested earlier sorry it took so long
    http://cid-572c6cce05822888.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/rick%20james.nfo

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:42 AM
  • ok I downloaded "seatools for windows" from seagate and did the SMART test, short drive self test, and long drive self tests.  All three said the drive was fine and passed the tests.  Is there another software you recommend I should use to test the drive?
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:45 AM
  • Hi xicanonaztlanca,

According to the hardware configuration, it is not recommended running too many programs in the system. In addition, please also run Disk Cleanup to see if the issue can be resolved.

Also, according to our customers' feedback, changing the theme to default Windows 7 Theme can fix this login issue. Please have a try.

After checking the System Information you provided, I noticed that the current version of Windows 7 is Windows 7 RC, you also may install the final version of Windows 7 and upgrade the hardware configuration.

Sincerely,

Linda

Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:50 AM
  • Hi xicanonaztlanca,

According to the hardware configuration, it is not recommended running too many programs in the system. In addition, please also run Disk Cleanup to see if the issue can be resolved.

Also, according to our customers' feedback, changing the theme to default Windows 7 Theme can fix this login issue. Please have a try.

After checking the System Information you provided, I noticed that the current version of Windows 7 is Windows 7 RC, you also may install the final version of Windows 7 and upgrade the hardware configuration.

Sincerely,

Linda

i will try that tonight thanks.  Ill let you know how it goes
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:06 AM
  • Hi xicanonaztlanca,

Sincerely,

Linda

ok I just did the disk cleanup and changed the theme to the default windows 7 and the nothing improved, the login actually took 1min 20seconds :O. Something seems to be taking a lot of resources at start up causing it to take extremely long.  I did read in another site that some people actually changed the background to one that contained an image instead of a solid color.  I tried this and nothing worked .

I'll keep searching for answers but I might have to purchase a new HDD for the lappy.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:41 AM
  • Hi,

There's some great support coming from this thread so I hope someone can help me!

I've got a very similar problem to those described above around 'login to desktop' time.

I get to the login screen very quickly but once I enter my password, Win7 takes a few seconds, then presents a black screen with a moveable mouse cursor.

It remains in this state for around 45 - 60 seconds, then shows the desktop. I can ctrl+alt+del to get ask manager up but I can't see anything there which would help me find a solution (i.e. explorer is running). It never used to happen, and I really want to avoid a fresh Win install!

The problem only affects my login (admin), my gf's login goes straight to the dekstop, so I suspect it's a setting local to my profile. NB It wasn't always the case, it started happening a few weeks ago. Having un-installed all 'potential cause' software the problem persists.

My PC; a 3 month old Alienware Aurora running Win7 64. i7 930 (level 1 OC), 6 gig 1600 Mem, ATI 5770 x 2 in CrossfireX. 3 HDD's, one boot drive, and a page file split across boot and a second HDD.

I initially blamed the Ati drivers but have un-installed and reinstalled and the problem persists.

I've cleaned my registry as re-installation of Ati drivers requires it for CCC to work (thanks Ati/AMD!).

I'm convinced there's a setting in a local config somewhere!

NB I'm outputting to 2 displays in case this helps.

Regs,

Max.

Monday, October 04, 2010 7:17 PM