none
Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor

General discussion

• Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor beta

The Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor is a small beta application that you can run on your current Windows XP-based computer to find out if it's ready for an upgrade to Windows Vista. When you run the Upgrade Advisor, it will scan your computer and generate an easy-to-understand report of any known system and device compatibility issues, along with recommendations on how you can get your PC ready for Windows Vista. Microsoft plans to add functionality to Upgrade Advisor, such as checking how your software applications will run with Windows Vista. Download the beta version today and check this site in a few months for a new version.

Upgrade Advisor is currently a beta release and contains functionality and features that have not been thoroughly tested and may contain errors. Please consider the information that Upgrade Advisor currently provides as preliminary and check back periodically for new versions, which will include updated device information and additional functionality such as checking how your software applications will run with Windows Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/default.mspx

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 11:49 AM

All replies

• Paul

I tried the Advisor and it missed something!! The upgrade was unsuccessful even though the Advisor said the only concern was a driver for the creative audio.  See my post Vista won't load for more details
    Thursday, July 27, 2006 5:41 PM
  • It doesn't work with x64
    Saturday, September 16, 2006 3:06 AM
  • It is terrible that the advisor does not function for w2000 as people on w2000 are likely early upgraders that have sat out windows XP.
    Saturday, September 16, 2006 12:02 PM
  • I lose the advisor after the forts page.  It loads, runs, searches for updates then I get the old:

Cannot find server or DNS Error
    Internet Explorer

message page.  I think this may be due to the fact I have IE7 beta1 on my machine and can't get it off as I deleted the admin user acct that I installed it under.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Monday, September 25, 2006 4:33 AM
  • I lose the advisor after the first page.  It loads alright, runs, searches for updates then I get the old:

Cannot find server or DNS Error
    Internet Explorer

message page.  I think this may be due to the fact I have IE7 beta1 on my machine and can't get it off as I deleted the admin user acct that I installed it under.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Monday, September 25, 2006 4:35 AM
  • After 15 minutes the advisor has done absolutely nothing.  CPU usage rarely hits 1%.  Brand new computer with 1Gb ram.  It's not 64 bit.  Windows XP SP2.
    Wednesday, October 25, 2006 3:20 AM
  • I have the exact same issue.  I let it run for 12 hours on my new Alienware (2g) and it never did anything.
    Friday, October 27, 2006 3:10 PM
  • doesn't appear to run without an Internet connection.  duh!  why does everything have to phone home?  no Internet, no email = pretty well secured machine.  can't I check if it can be upgraded?

thanks for an answer, it doesn't appear to be in the FAQs.  Maybe I am not in the IT Pros web area ?  these pages have a very "consumerish"  appearance/content.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 2:06 PM
  • Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor 1.0 is now available

If you previously tried the beta tool, download the latest version.

Get it at  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/default.mspx

More information on Vista can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/experiences/default.mspx

Here is some information covering previous posts to this forum and from the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor frequently asked questions (FAQ).

• It runs on Windows XP sp2 and Windows Vista (all versions except Enterprise)
    • It does not run on 64-bit versions of Windows
    • It requires an internet connection
    • The tool provides useful device compatibility information for most devices available today.
    • It also identifies installed applications and outlines actionable steps for resolving any compatibility issues.
    • It's currently in English. We anticipate having the Upgrade Advisor available in all the languages Windows Vista is scheduled to ship
    • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) can be viewed at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/faq.mspx
    • The FAQ includes a list of the minimum requiremensts for Windows Vista.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 8:41 PM
  • The reason we need to phone home is because we need to check the database to get the current status of your devices and application.

Vista Upgrade Advisor is targeted for the consumer.  If you want a enterprise type tool please use "Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0" (go here - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows/appcompatibility/default.mspx)

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 5:58 PM
  • We released the final version of Vista Upgrade Advisor on 11/29/2006 (it's not a beta anymore).  Please download the final version from here - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/default.mspx
    Tuesday, January 02, 2007 6:02 PM
  • Vista Upgrade Advisor does not support Win2000 because most likely this hardware will be out dated to have a good experience on Windows Vista.
    Tuesday, January 02, 2007 6:04 PM
  •   como baixar o windows vistas
    Wednesday, January 03, 2007 11:46 PM
  • "como baixar o windows vistas"

I'm not sure what you are asking.

Windows Vista will be available for purchase on Jan 31st, 2007. It is on a DVD disk.

There is a tool which you can use to determine if your computer can run Vista, Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor. You can download it at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/default.mspx

More information on Vista can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/experiences/default.mspx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Member of Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor Team

Monday, January 08, 2007 6:27 PM
  • I have a problem installing last version of Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor, the alert message says that the older version of this tool can't be remove.
    I didn't find the name of this tool in the list of installed programs.
    How can I remove it?
    Wednesday, January 10, 2007 2:17 AM
  • Hello,

I'd like some information on the error message you are receiving  At what point during installation of the latest version do you see this error?  A screenshot of the message would be helpful too.  Do you recall installing an older version of the Upgrade Advisor and if so, was it the beta (prior to Sept.) or the RC version?  Lastly, are you installing the application as a user with administrative privelages? 

Thursday, January 11, 2007 3:32 AM
  • Hi!

The error appears about 75% - 80% of installation!
    If you wanna see a screenshot of the alert messagge take a look at this link: Error
    The older version i believe it is the RC but i'm not sure, I just know that i found a previous version (3,99 Mb of Dimension) and i tried to install it. The installation goes good but when i uninstalled it, the problem with the upgrade remained.
    I'm installing this tool logged with an user with administative privilages.

Thanx.
    Thursday, January 11, 2007 5:51 PM
  • im havin a problem with a dmi pool data error how do i fix it??
    Tuesday, January 16, 2007 1:26 PM
  • Have you found a solution to the problem with 1.0? I am having the same problem the program runs for hours and nothing happens, then after I run and close the program the computer won't shut down.
    Tuesday, January 23, 2007 9:24 PM
  •  bill.bennett wrote:
    Have you found a solution to the problem with 1.0? I am having the same problem the program runs for hours and nothing happens, then after I run and close the program the computer won't shut down.
    I ran the BETA download after I got 1.0, and then it asked me if I wanted to fix errors, click yes and then it will work.
    Tuesday, January 23, 2007 9:57 PM
  • Hi Bill,

You wrote that you used two versions of Vista Upgrade Advisor (VUA). Please go to Add/Remove Programs and remove all versions of VUA. With both the beta version and the 1.0 version, you may have two entries.

Go to your temp directory and delete all files that start with VUA. Your temp directory is C:\Documents and Settings\ your alias \Local Settings\Temp

Install and run VUA 1.0. You wrote that it ran for hours. If it runs longer than 15 minutes, stop it.

Go to your temp directory and look for files starting with VUA. You should have four files. If you have less than four, post back with the names of the files. If one is missing, we may be able to help you with just that information. If all four are there, then please contact me offline so I can get your temp VUA files.   You can send mail to  Ba-mmoore@CmicrosoftD.com - this is a no spam address, just remove the capital letters for my address.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 10:59 PM
  • Hello yops,

That seems very strange.  A couple of things to try:

1. Do you have the Beta installer?  If so, try installing the application again.  Then run version 1.0, which should uninstall the beta automatically.

2. If you're comfortable editing your registry settings, do the following:

a. create a backup of your registry

b. search for "UpgradeAdvisor" and delete all entries.  Then try running the v1.0 installer again.

Let me know if that helps. 

Merzin

Thursday, January 25, 2007 4:17 AM
  • What kind of error are you seeing when running Upgrade Advisor?

-Merzin

Thursday, January 25, 2007 4:19 AM
  • I resolved cleaning the registry, repairing and then uninstalling the beta version.
    So I've been able to update the tool.
    Thursday, January 25, 2007 1:25 PM
  • Hi t_henriott ,

This DMI error does not appear to be an error with Vista Upgrade Advisor. This error indicates that some of your devices are using the same DMI resource.

The primary hardware device on a computer is the CPU. There are also several additional devices, such as video and sound. All devices have several ways to communicate with the CPU. One of these is DMI. Within DMI, it has a range of resources and no two devices can share the same DMI resource.

To find DMI errors, look in Device Manager:   Start Menu  --  Settings  --  Control Panel  --  System  --  Hardware Tab  --  Device Manager.

You will probably find an entry with a yellow exclamation or a red X. Fixing this kind of error is beyond what I can help you with because I help with Vista Upgrade Advisor issues rather than system issues. However, I have two general suggestions.

It may help to uninstall & re-install the offending driver. Before you do this, you want to have a copy of the driver so you can re-install it. Drivers for devices usually come with the device or with the computer. Also, Window recognizes many devices and has drivers for them.

If you recognize the devices and you know that you don't need one of them, you can disable it. Right-click on it & select disable.

Again, I believe this is not a problem with Vista Upgrade Advisor. If the above does not help, you may want to try other newsgroups related to Windows or check our support site which includes both free and paid assistance(http://support.microsoft.com/). If you bought your computer with Windows already installed on it, contact the maker of the computer (for example, call Gateway for help with a Gateway computer).

Friday, January 26, 2007 12:47 AM
  • I recently downloaded and installed the windows vista upgrade advisor only to have it repeteadly crash in mid scan with the following message:

Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor encountered an error while scanning your system. If the problem persists, you can uninstall Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor and reinstall the latest version.

Ok the problem persist regardless I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it (last night), I've tried downloading it again and reinstalling it (same). Only to get the same message each time. I've checked for DMI errors as suggested earlier in thread without finding any. I've tried closing other programs that are running with same result. So does anybody have an idea as to what the problem is?

I would love it if vista upgrade advisor generated a text log of just where it crashed so at least i'd have an idea as to what was causing the problem.

WMD

Saturday, January 27, 2007 2:54 PM
  • Mike,

I'm not Bill, but I'm having the same issues with the Advisor running for longer than 15 minutes.  After I end the Advisor program, my computer will not shut down automatically.

When I search my temp directory, I find three VUA files:
    VUA_Bucketizer_400SC.xml
    VUA_Collector_400SC.xml
    VUA_WinSat_400SC.xml

I've not installed or try to run any beta versions of the Advisor -- only the current release available for download from Microsoft.  I run WinXP SP2.  I've also uninstalled the Advisor, removed all references to "UpdateAdvisor" in the registry, and have reinstalled the Advisor with the same results.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.  To reply directly, remove the "nope" from my email address.

Keith
    Monday, January 29, 2007 1:14 PM
  • Hi W. M. Dix,

Please look in your temp directory for VUA temp files. Your temp directory is C:\Documents and Settings\ your alias \Local Settings\Temp

Look for files starting with VUA. You should have four files. If you have less than four, post back with the names of the files. If one is missing, we may be able to help you with just that information. If all four are there, then please contact me offline so I can get your temp VUA files.   You can send mail to  Ba-mmoore@CmicrosoftD.com - this is a no spam address, just remove the capital letters for my address.

Monday, January 29, 2007 10:21 PM
  • Mike:

Thank you for your reply. There is only one VUA file in the temp directory VUA_WinSat_DAHAK.xml. I don't see any other file with a vua prefix. 

William Dix

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 4:49 AM
  • Hi Mike,

I am getting the same error message as W.M. Dix but I can find all 4 VUA files in my temp directory: Bucketizer, Collector, QueryAppBlock and WinSat.

Cheers

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 6:29 AM
  • I have the same error as W. M. Dix and have only the VUA_WinSat XML file.  I have forwarded it to you.
    Tuesday, January 30, 2007 2:41 PM
  • Started running vista upgrade advisor at 8am now back from work at 7pm still running

internet working, computer working, modem working, hard drive working, vista upgrade advisor !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 9:05 PM
  • Hi Keith,

The file you're missing is VUA_QueryAppBlock_*.xml. This file is related to finding all the applications installed on your computer. Its absence indicates that there is a problem searching for installed applications.

Today, we posted a minor improvement to VUA which relates to this area. Please download the newer version.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx

After you uninstall & then install the newest version, let it run for up to 30 minutes. If it still fails, then please send me your VUA_Bucketizer_*.xml file.  Also let me know if you're using English XP or which language you're using.

You can send mail to  Ba-mmoore@CmicrosoftD.com - this is a no spam address, just remove the capital letters for my address. (For others reading this, please post questions to the newsgroups. Only send mail to me if I request you to do so.)

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 11:09 PM
  • Hi William Dix,

The next operation creates the collectot log (VUA_Collector_*.xml). This file is created when VUA completes creating a list of the devices on your computer.

Please check Device Manager for errors.

Device Manager  --  Control Panel - classic view - system - hardware tab - device Manager

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 12:19 AM
  • Hi Mister E ,

The next operation creates the collectot log (VUA_Collector_*.xml). This file is created when VUA completes creating a list of the devices on your computer.

Device Manager  --  Control Panel - classic view - system - hardware tab - device Manager

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 12:21 AM
  • Hi Kailanbabe,

Please send me your VUA*.xml files. You can send mail to  Ba-mmoore@CmicrosoftD.com - this is a no spam address, just remove the capital letters for my address.

(For others reading this, please post questions to the newsgroups. Only send mail to me if I request you to do so.)

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 12:23 AM
  • Hi Mike,
    I have the same issue Bill was describing. 

I only have three files:

VUA Bucketizer
    VUA Collector
    VUA Winsat

Any assistance you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Greg

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 12:34 AM
  • Hi JABWootton,

Please look in your temp directory for VUA temp files. Your temp directory is C:\Documents and Settings\ your alias \Local Settings\Temp

Please remove these files & run VUA again. Let it run for up to 30 minutes & stop it.

Look in your temp directory for files starting with VUA. You should have four or five files. Ignore VUA_XmlReport_*.xml. If any of the others are missing, post back with which files you do have.

VUA_WinSat_*.xml

VUA_Collector_*.xml

VUA_Bucketizer_*.xml

VUA_QueryAppBlock_*.xml

VUA_XmlReport_*.xml

If all four are there, then please send me e-mail with the files attached. You can send mail to  Ba-mmoore@CmicrosoftD.com - this is a no spam address, just remove the capital letters for my address. Subject = "The four VUA files from JABWootton"

(For others reading this, please post questions to the newsgroups. Only send mail to me if I request you to do so.)
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 12:36 AM
  • I'm trying to use the latest version of VUA and I keep getting the following exception errors. 

"Process id=0xd5c (3420), Thread id=0xee0 (3808)"

and

"Registered JIT debugger is not available.  An attempt to launch a JIT debugger with the following command resulted in an error code of 0x2 (2).  Please check computer settings."

"cordbg.exe !a 0xd5c"

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 1:40 AM
  • Hi William Dix,

Please ignore my last post. I reread your posts & see you already checked device manager.

Please send me your WinSat file.

You can send mail to  Ba-mmoore@CmicrosoftD.com - this is a no spam address, just remove the capital letters for my address. (For others reading this, please post questions to the newsgroups. Only send mail to me if I request you to do so.)

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 2:45 AM
  • Hi Johnny V,

Please try these:

1)
    Download VUA again, uninstall it and re-install it from the new download.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx

2)

Look in your temp directory for files starting with VUA. You should have four or five files. Ignore VUA_XmlReport_*.xml. If any of the others are missing, post back with which files you do have.

VUA_WinSat_*.xml
    VUA_Collector_*.xml
    VUA_Bucketizer_*.xml
    VUA_QueryAppBlock_*.xml
    VUA_XmlReport_*.xml

3)
    Please look for my reply to t_henriott on 1/26/07 for more info on working with Device Manager.

4)
    Is there anything about your PC that you think might be unusual, such as if it's a Virtual PC?
    Is there anything unusual about your connection to the internet, such as a password protected firewall?

5)
    What spoken language are you running? In particular, have you installed a LIP (you'll know if you have)?

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 3:12 AM
  • This is what I said in my email. 

This is a year-old dual boot Toshiba Satellite laptop (Linux Xandros) with a single Device Manager "error" - my Cisco VPN virtual network adapter looks "broken" unless I am using it to VPN into my work.  I plan on removing the dual boot (installing Vista from the DVD and reformatting the drive), but want to make sure I have no hardware issues and that I can still Cisco VPN client to contact work.

What do I do when I have only one VUA file that does not indicate why it quits?

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 7:09 AM
  • I downloaded the Upgrade Advisor today and I don't seem to be having any luck with it.

It runs for a few minutes and then tells me that either the service is busy or I don't have an active connection: http://i5.tinypic.com/402qn1g.png

Any idea what could be causing this? (As I clearly have an active connection)
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 2:25 PM
  • Hi, I just had same problem as you did and it annoyed the hell out of me. I went thru to the temporary folder, and deleted the 4 VUA files, then restarted and ran the upgrade advisor again. Worked perfectly
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 11:14 PM
  • hi,

I install the upgrade advisor, then run the program but after a few minutes it just flicked back to to initial screen to "Run Scan" again. No results were produced. No error messages appeared

I have reinstall the latest version and the problem still appear. I have check the temp file, and only one file created (VUA_WinSat).

thanks for help

hsbcool

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 11:29 PM
  • Hi Mike,
    I have the same issue Keith was describing.

I uninstalled the upgrade advisor.  Deleted all the temporary VUA files.  Downloaded and reinstalled.   When I run the advisor it will scan for hours without ever finishing.  When I check the temp directory I only have three VUA files.

VUA Bucketizer
    VUA Collector
    VUA Winsat

In Windows Task Manager I can see QueryAppBlock.exe running.  I cannot force the process to end and Windows will not shut down unless I physically shutdown my machine. 

I've also checked under device manager and there are no obvious errors showing up there. 

Any assistance you could provide for getting the advisor to run would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Thursday, February 01, 2007 12:03 AM
  • Hi Mike, thanks for tips.  None of those files that you mentioned are in Temp folder.  I did the uninstall and re-install, still the files are not there. I have even tried to run in diagnostic startup and still get the same errors. 

In my device manager, I did notice a couple of hardware problems.  I had forgotten to install the drivers for my MSI capture card and did so.  Otherwise, there appears to be no conflicts or problems. 

There is nothing out of the ordinary about this PC and no LIP installed.  It is a brand new computer conected to a Linksys router.   I am using Trend Micro PC-cillin internet security 2007 as my firewall which does not require a password.  Windows firewall has been disabled.

My specs are:  Asus P5B motherboard, P4 3.4 Ghz processor, 2 gig OCZ 667 mhz Ram, GeForce 7600 GT OC 256MB DDR3 video card, HDA Digital X-Mystique audio card and a MSI 8606 capture card.  Running Windows XP Professional.

Running Processes: 

• alg.exe
    • iexplore.exe
    • svchost.exe
    • PcScnSrv.exe
    • usnsvc.exe
    • taskmgr.exe
    • rundll32.exe
    • tmproxy.exe
    • spoolsv.exe
    • TmPfw.exe
    • LogitechEasySync.exe
    • Tmntsrv.exe
    • svchost.exe
    • BTStackServer.exe
    • svchost.exe
    • svchost.exe
    • LBTSERV.EXE
    • svchost.exe
    • svchost.exe
    • svchost.exe
    • KHALMNPR.exe
    • lsass.exe
    • services.exe
    • winlogon.exe
    • csrss.exe
    • smss.exe
    • SetPoint.exe
    • BTTray.exe
    • PcCtlCom.exe
    • nvsvc32.exe
    • LinksysAgent.exe
    • msnmsgr.exe
    • TMAS_OEMon.exe
    • LogitchEasySync.exe
    • rundll32.exe
    • pccguide.exe
    • LSSrvc.exe
    • explorer.exe
    • btwdins.exe
    • serviestub.exe
    • System
    • System Idle Process

I hope this information can help in you in solving my problem.  I know my computer, hardware wise, will have no problem running Vista.  I really need to know which programs and drivers will have to updated before install.

Thursday, February 01, 2007 12:58 AM
  • Hi GMCGMC,

Please send me your files. You can send mail to  Ba-mmoore@CmicrosoftD.com - this is a no spam address, just remove the capital letters for my address. (For others reading this, please post questions to the newsgroups. Only send mail to me if I request you to do so.)

Thursday, February 01, 2007 1:07 AM
  • Hi MisterCow, JS400 & hsbcool,

We experienced difficulty with our VUA servers this afternoon. I believe it is fixed now. Please let me know if the problem continues.

Thursday, February 01, 2007 2:33 AM
  • Hi GMCGMC,

Please send me your files. Put "GMCGMC" in the subject line. Please send them to Ba-mmoore@CmicrosoftD.com - this is a no spam address, just remove the capital letters for my address. (For others reading this, please post questions to the newsgroups. Only send mail to me if I request you to do so.

Thursday, February 01, 2007 2:39 AM
  • hi,

Thanks for help. Unluckly, the problem sitll there. And only one VUA created.

hsbcool

Thursday, February 01, 2007 9:50 AM
  • Hi, I ran the upgrade advisor but I always get a message during scanning that says that the upgrade advisor encountered an error while scanning. I have attempted to reinstall the program several times but the problem was not solved. I followed the instructions on other posts and I do have all four VUA files in my temp folder. What should I do now?

Thursday, February 01, 2007 1:59 PM
  • After 15 mins, message window appeared stating that the service was not available.

So I guess there is still a problem..

Thursday, February 01, 2007 3:30 PM
  • Hi All,

When you get an error that the server is not available...

1)
    Please try again later & a third time.

2)
    Do you have a third party firewall? Many intivirus programs come with one & many services, such as Earthlink or AOL, include one that you may have installed. Try with it turned off.

Do you have a proxy server?  check your LAN settings
    Internet Explorer - Tools - internet options - connections tab - lan settings
    Take careful note of the current settings & copy any text. Then uncheck all the options, so nothing is selected. Then see if you still have internet access. If not, try "automatically detect settings". Be sure to put the settings back to the previous settings when finished.

3)
    Download VUA again. Uninstall & install the fresh copy.

Thursday, February 01, 2007 8:21 PM
  • Hi all - again,

I forgot to include that I know this is not fixing the problem for everyone. We have collected information from several people, but we don't have an answer yet. I'll post here when we have more news for you.

Friday, February 02, 2007 2:48 AM
  • I am having the same problem as others.  Upgrade Advisor just runs and runs and does not stop.  I have unistalled and reinstalled and also checked device manager.  Only three VUA files are created:

VUA_Bucketizer
    VUA_Collector
    VUA_WinSat

Also, same problem with shutdown -- must manually turn off computer.

FYI -- I have a dual boot system -- running Fedora in the other partition.

Also, and most important -- I cannot intall Vista Ultimate.  After entering product code -- machine justs reboots back to XP Pro.  Have installed Vista Ultimate on an identical machine (hardware) but with different software on it and only single boot.

Any ideas?

James Mossman
    Friday, February 02, 2007 3:34 AM
  • Hi everyone,

I have the same problem of DGroorg.

All four files in a Temp folder, i have reinstalling VUA several times.

If I visit my Event Viewer i locate two events into Applications Tab

Origin: ACT-DC         ID Event: 1024

Cannot find the description into this ID Event in the origin ACT-DT.

This machine cannot have a necessary information into a System Regisrty or cannot have a DLL files needed to visualizations a remote machine messages.

Use /AUXSOURCE=flag to find the descriptions. For more info see a Online Guide or tech support.

This info are events parts of:

The only difference in two events it's the last lines.....

[Bucketizer.exe]. All task completed.

[Collect.exe]. All task completed.

This log events is a type informations....

I'm waiting for a solutions...

Thanks

Friday, February 02, 2007 3:04 PM
  • hi,

recently downloaded and installed the windows vista upgrade advisor only to have it repeteadly crash in mid scan with the following message:

Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor encountered an error while scanning your system. If the problem persists, you can uninstall Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor and reinstall the latest version.

i reinstaled it, and the same crash occurs... can you help me?

thx

Friday, February 02, 2007 6:42 PM
  • Hi,

I am facing the problem of running Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor.

Few mins later after the program start scanning my system, it will prompt

"Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor" has encountered an error while scanning your system.
    If the problem persists, you can uninstall Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor and reinstall the latest version"

I have re-downloaded the latest but the problem still persists.
    As per the above threads, my temp directory do have all the 4 files

VUA_WinSat_.xml
    VUA_Collector_.xml
    VUA_Bucketizer_.xml
    VUA_QueryAppBlock_.xml

I did try the advise of deleting away these temp files and rerun the prog, but the error is still there.

My system is less than a month old with Core2Duo E6300 system running MCE 2005
    MSI 965Neo
    MSI 7600GS PCI Grahpic Card
    1GB DDRII667
    300GB SATA HDD
    Hauppauge PVR150MCE X 2 Tuner card

There are no errors on my device manager.

Please assist.

Saturday, February 03, 2007 12:38 PM
  • I am having the following problem with VUA:

When I install and try to run the latest version, I get the following error:

Process id=0x880 (2176), Thread id=0x828 (2008).

I have read thru the previous entries in this thread.  I have tried the solutions suggested.  None of them work.  Any further ideas?

No files are created in the temp directory.

Saturday, February 03, 2007 5:03 PM
  • Hi all,

I'm having the same problem as hsbcool.

Did anyone ever figure out what's going on?

thanks!

Saturday, February 03, 2007 6:03 PM
  • I'll need to add my name to the list of those having problems running the upgrade advisor.

I had run the beta version without problems (and wish I'd kept one of its reports), but the latest version returns:

---------------------------
    Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor Error
    OK  

I get two files in my temp directory:

VUA_Collector_BLUE.xml

VUA_WinSat_BLUE.xml

My device manager looks clean.

Event Viewer shows:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: ACT-DC
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1008
    Date:  2/3/2007
    Time:  2:50:35 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: BLUE
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 1008 ) in Source ( ACT-DC ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: [Bucketizer.exe] Failed to extract evidence collection from XML (hr= 0x00004005).
    Data:
    0000: 41 00 2d 00 53 00 59 00   A.-.S.Y.
    0008: 53 00 54 00 45 00 4d 00   S.T.E.M.
    0010: 2d 00 43 00 4f 00 52 00   -.C.O.R.
    0018: 45 00 2d 00 7b 00 45 00   E.-.{.E.
    0020: 35 00 33 00 34 00 36 00   5.3.4.6.
    0028: 36 00 32 00 32 00 2d 00   6.2.2.-.
    0030: 31 00 46 00 32 00 39 00   1.F.2.9.
    0038: 2d 00 34 00 31 00 30 00   -.4.1.0.
    0040: 61 00 2d 00 41 00 37 00   a.-.A.7.
    0048: 34 00 44 00 2d 00 35 00   4.D.-.5.
    0050: 30 00 38 00 43 00 43 00   0.8.C.C.
    0058: 42 00 43 00 34 00 44 00   B.C.4.D.
    0060: 42 00 30 00 34 00 7d 00   B.0.4.}.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

...pjpg

Saturday, February 03, 2007 7:57 PM
  • Hey Mike & all. 

Just to let you know, the new version of VUA works fine now on my Toshiba laptop with the Linux dual boot.   Thanks for the help - now how do I free up 15 to 40 GB?  Just kidding - I know a fresh installation is the way to go.

Sunday, February 04, 2007 10:15 AM
  • I'm getting the same thing as most of the people here, when I checked my temp folder only the vua winsat, and vua collector files are in there. I uninstalled and reinstalled and checked device manager. I have no idea what the problem is, only that upgrading to Vista doesn't look likely.
    Sunday, February 04, 2007 11:51 AM
  • I am getting a similar problem to those reported but my VUA exception occurs right after checking for updates and there are no VUAxxx files in my TEMP directory. The message:

"Process id=0x6f8(1784), Thread id=0x360(864)" varies in every number each time the error occurs.

I had run Vista Beta on this machine but on a seperarte hard disk and I am now back to running XP on the original hard disk. The two disks were never installed at the same time.

I had heard that to use two physical processors (this machine is dual Xeon) I needed Ultmate but I was hoping the advisor would tell me that and what software to remove before loading Vista.

I did have a "?" on one piece of hardware (Promise 376/378 Controller) but I disabled that. I have .Net 2.0
    Sunday, February 04, 2007 1:13 PM
  • I will chime in on the exception errors. After successfully installing Vista Ultimate on my own computer, I wanted to check out what the Upgrade Advisor had to say about the hardware in my wife's computer. After installing I get an exception error (with different numbers) immediately after clicking the shortcut each and every time. De-installing, re-downloading, and re-installing a couple of times (even with reboots in between) make no difference whatsoever.
    Sunday, February 04, 2007 10:02 PM
  • If you still have a box that had w2000 you more then likely won't be able to run vista on that box anyhow....
    Monday, February 05, 2007 7:14 PM
  • Hi All,

We don't have any more info than has already been posted, which is various things to try (most of this is at http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/showpost.aspx?postid=1144169&siteid=17). We are looking into your various issues and will post more when we have more information.

Also, thank you for taking the time to post your issues. We want to help and this gives us a chance to offer assistance and to make our product better. I hope we have some fixes for you soon, though I cannot make any guarantees.

Things To Try:

* Try again later

* Delete the temp vua* files. Download a fresh copy. Uninstall & re-install.

(Temp files:  C:\Documents and Settings\ your alias \Local Settings\Temp)

* Proxy issues - LAN settings   (IE options, connection tab , LAN settings)

* Turn off antivirus/spyware & firewalls

* Device Manager problem entries.

Other things to consider

* Is there anything unusual about your machine (such as is it a Virtual PC)

* VUA only runs on 32-bit versions of XP & Vista; no 64-bit

- It's OK if your hardware is 64-bit, so long as your edition of Windows is 32-bit

- It doesn't run on Vista Enterprise (an edition of Ultimate only available to businesses. The

main difference is that this version has a few tweaks to make it easier for network

administrators to manage remotely).

* You have probably noticed that I asked which VUA temp files you had & for some people

to send them to me. This info was for my use to diagnose problems. The things to try listed

above are the same regardless of which files you have.

* Please do not contact me directly unless asked to do so.

Regards, Mike

Monday, February 05, 2007 8:25 PM
  • Hello

How would i tell if i had a 64 or 32 bit version of XP?

Thank you

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 4:22 PM
  • Run Windows Explorer. Click the "help" menu and click "about". Near the top, just below "Windows XP," you will see x64 if it's a 64-bit edition of Windows*.   -- It doesn't matter if your computer has a 64-bit processor. What matters is if it has a 64-bit edition of Windows.

* My coworkers and I don't have XP 64-bit running for me to verify this text. I have 64-bit Windows 2003 running and it shows "x64" just under "Windows Server 2003." I believe it's the same for XP.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 7:53 PM
  • Actually, some of us—through the iterative process of component upgrades—now have Vista-compatable hardware but have been holdouts from XP, enjoying the "stability" of Win2K. 

If I can't get Vista for Business [Upgrade] to activate properly; in twenty-something days, I'll simply admit my $200 mistake, ditch Vista, reload Win2K, and tell my cautionary tale of woe.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 3:55 AM
  • Hi all,

Here is an update.

VUA Download:

1) Scan does not complete

We think we have found a solution for this. We hope to have it on our website next week. If this prevents VUA from scanning indefinitely, it should also prevent problems with not being able to shutdown.

(If you would like to try something sooner, you might consider installing IE7. I don't want to say that you need IE7. One of the many changes made by IE7 is the same change we are planning to make for VUA. Installing IE7 is something you could try as an experiment. If you do, please post back with your results.)

2) Connectivity problems - proxy problems

* Try setting the LAN Settings in Internet Explorer so nothing is selected, or to the "use a proxy" option. To specify a proxy, you will need to know the name or IP address of your proxy. VUA uses the settings from IE. If you are using another browser, this task needs to be done in IE.

* VUA does detect proxies. It does not detect advanced proxy settings such as a proxy which uses password authentication. Advanced proxy settings such as this are usually only found in business environments.

* If you have a local firewall on your PC, it's possible that it may be blocking VUA. Similarly, if you have a network firewall, it may be blocking VUA. These are issues with configuring your local/network firewall.

3) Error:  "encountered an error while scanning your system"

We do not yet have a fix for this.  We are still investigating.

4) General troubleshooting has only changed a little:

* Run VUA again later

* Turn off antivirus/spyware programs

* Download VUA again & install the new copy

* We no longer think conflicts shown in Device Manager are causing problems with VUA.

Friday, February 09, 2007 2:01 AM
  • No joy, still getting the "Application has generated an exception that could not be handled" message immediately after clicking the shortcut.
    Friday, February 09, 2007 6:33 PM
  • Hi All,

Another update.

I don't have answers for all your questions. The above is most of my information at this time. I have one more note if you're having trouble installing VUA.

VUA install problems may be due to problems with the subcomponents needed by VUA. You may want to try downloading these. Then you can install them separately and install VUA after.

MSXML6

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=993c0bcf-3bcf-4009-be21-27e85e1857b1&displaylang=en

.NET Framework 2.0

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

Friday, February 09, 2007 8:12 PM
  • Yet another note:

Here are suggestions posted by ITechLegend (not Microsoft). Perhaps they will help.

- Turn off CD/DVD burning software

- Run Disk Cleanup  (Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Disk Cleanup)

- Clean the temp directory:  C:\Documents and Settings\ your alias \Local Settings\Temp

- ITechLegend refers to an app named "mscong". From searching on this name, it appears he is referring to disabling some apps that run automatically when you start the computer & then run in the background. I do NOT recommend or endorse the app "mscong". I am not familiar with it. I do not know if it is safe to use.

What you CAN do: look through your start menu to find apps that run in the background. Many/most of them will have entries in the start menu which allow you to disable that app.

Also (Advanced!) run services.msc to stop unneeded services  --  most apps that run in the background will show up here as a service.

Friday, February 09, 2007 9:30 PM
  • Hi All,

The two updates above are still valid. This is in addition to those two updates.

Someone named ITechLegend (not Microsoft) posted some suggestions that might help with installing/running VUA.

- Turn off CD/DVD burning software

- Run Disk Cleanup  (Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Disk Cleanup)

- Clean the temp directory:  C:\Documents and Settings\ your alias \Local Settings\Temp

- ITechLegend refers to an app named "mscong". From searching on this name, it appears he is referring to disabling some apps that run automatically when you start the computer & which then run in the background. I do NOT recommend or endorse the app "mscong". I am not familiar with it. I do not know if it is safe to use.

What you CAN do: look through your start menu to find apps that run in the background. Many/most of these apps will have entries in the start menu which allow you to disable that app.

Also (Advanced!) run services.msc to stop unneeded services  --  most apps that run in the background will show up here as a service.

Friday, February 09, 2007 10:06 PM
  • Doing the last couple of suggestions from Mike worked.  Installing the XML services and reinstalling the .Net Framework along with running disk clean-up seemed to do the trick.

Thanks Mike, but I'll probrably still wait at least a year before using Vista.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 12:02 AM
  • Downloaded Upgrade advisor 8 February 2007 and have the problem of scanning forever and not being able to re-boot after cancelling it.  Found that the VUA_queryApp*.xml is not being generated and that the QueryAppBlock.exe is running and you are not able to end the process (using task manager).    Have a 1.5 yo HP Pavilion computer with all required specs.  Also have a 4yo Dell and advisor works as advertised.  Dell is running XP SP2, HP is running XP SP 2 Mediacenter 2005.  Have purchased Vista Home Premium and works till the User License displays then machine reboots itself. 

Thanks.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 5:18 PM
  • Hi

I have the same problem - I have removed and re-installed the VUA program but it still just runs and runs. I have searched tor the VUA files mentioned but the search comes back blank!

If I can't run the upgrade advisor what hope is there for the full version of Vista?

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know

Thanks

Malc

Sunday, February 11, 2007 9:04 PM
  • Hello, i too am missing VUA_QueryAppBlock_*.xml but i do hae the other 3 you mention, i have also tried the newer version of the vista advisor and it still does not work. Could you help me?
    Monday, February 12, 2007 6:53 PM
  • Hi Malc P,

Not being able to run VUA does not mean that you cannot run Vista. VUA is a tool that helps determine if you can run Vista. It is not Vista itself.

You wrote that you have the same problem, but I'm not sure which problem.

* Keeps canning & can't shutdown
    We expect to have a solution later this week. When it's ready, you'll need to download & install the latest version of VUA.

* Scanning error
    We are still researching this error.

* Stops running with an error that looks like Process id=0x.....
    We are still researching this issue.

Monday, February 12, 2007 7:22 PM
  • Hi CurtisG and Allitron,

I have have posted several updates to this thread. I hope you find them useful.

* Keeps canning & can't shutdown
    We expect to have a solution later this week. When it's ready, you'll need to download & install the latest version of VUA.

* Scanning error
    We are still researching this error.

Monday, February 12, 2007 7:24 PM
  • Sorry I was not very clear with my original posting

I downloaded the latest version of the VUA and when I run it the program just keep scanning it never comes back with a response.

I guess that I will have to wait until the revised version comes out and then try again.

Thanks

Malc

Monday, February 12, 2007 9:33 PM
  • Hi all,

VUA has been updated. This update fixes the problem where it doesn't complete the scan. This also fixes the problem where you can't shut down the computer.

Please try this and post back if you still have problems.

Monday, February 19, 2007 9:59 PM
  • Hi

Yesterday downloaded & installed VUA 1.0. Runs ok but shows error ;

"Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor encountered an error while scanning your system. If the problem persists you can uninstall Windows Vista Advisor and reinstall the latest version."

The problem persists but as far as I am aware I have installed the latest version.

My system runs on Win XP Pro SP2. Which runs auto update so it is fully updated & has i.e. 7 installed.

I have tried with i.e. on & off. I have turned off my firewall but always the same error.

I can not give any more details about the error as the error advisor window does not give it.

Where do I go from here?

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 12:39 PM
  • Hi Delboy2006,

There have been several reports of this problem in the newsgroups. We are still researching it.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:40 PM
  • Let me add my name to the few who're seeing a crash immediately after starting the program. No files get created in Temp, the window that appears says:

VistaUpgradeAdvisor.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process id=0x7cc (1996), Thread id=0xf8c (3980).

Click OK to terminate the application.

Click CANCEL to debug the application.

Since I only have the Express versions of VS 2005 installed at the moment, trying to debug gives me the 'Registered JIT debugger is not available.' message. Looks like it can't find cordbg.exe...

This is on an older Toshiba Satellite (2G P4, 1G mem, 60G drive) running XP Pro sp2 with all updates.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 7:47 AM
  • Hi Billsey,

Thank you for posting. These posts help us see the severity of the problem and comments like yours, on cordbg.exe, help us find problems. We're still investigating and I'll post back when we have more information.

Monday, February 26, 2007 7:16 PM
  • Hi Billsey,

This appears to be an error in .NET. The next step in troubleshooting on your error is to remove all installed versions of .NET and then re-install .NET 2.0.

.NET 2.0

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&DisplayLang=en

I hope this solves your problem. Please post back with the results.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:49 PM
  • Hi Mike

Little bit concerned about what you are recommending. I have always used windows update to keep my system up to date.

It is fully up to date as stated by windows update. Checked to day 29.02.2007.

In Add Remove programs it shows ;

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1                                                  No size displayed

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886903)                No size displayed.

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0                                                    Size 88.28MB

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0                                                    Size 57.72MB

I would assume that I would need to uninstall all of the above?

But why would I remove vers 3 to install vers 2.?

If I did would not windows update then want to upgrade to vers 3?

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 11:42 AM
  • Hi Delboy2006,

I should have been more specific. Billsey had an error which referenced the Common Language Runtime (CLR) which is the primary component for running .NET applications. Because his error referenced the CLR, we think his problem may be due to a problem with his install of .NET.

I'm sorry for not being more specific that this advice was for Billsey and others with a reference to the CLR in their error message.

Thank you for posting. That allowed me to make this correction.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 11:16 PM
  • This is obviously not a resonable solution.

I have on my machine .Net 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0. The machine is up-to-date, with no application or services that are not required.

I still get the same error:

VistaUpgradeAdvisor.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services
    Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process id=0xddc (3548), Thread id=0x9d4 (2516).

Click OK to terminate the application.
    Click CANCEL to debug the application.
    OK   Cancel  

You can't expect me to uninstall .Net Framework 3.0, then .Net Framework 2.0, and then reinstall the both....

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 11:20 PM
  • Hello Itay and Delboy2006,

First, I'd like to clarify that you don't need 3 different versions of .Net on your system.  Installing .Net3.0 will suffice as it includes functionality of previous .Net Frameworks.

As for the problem you're encountering, the most likely cause is .Net.  It may be that a beta version of .Net was installed at some point or that the presence of all 3 versions on your system may be the cause of this error due to some unique system configuration.  The best way to troubleshoot this is to start with a fresh, clean install.  For that reason, it would be recommended that you uninstall all existing versions and try again.  A clean .Net 2.0 or .Net 3.0 install should resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Merzin

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 2:12 AM
  • I have the same problem.

"Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor encountered an error while scanning your system. If the problem persists you can uninstall Windows Vista Advisor and reinstall the latest version."

The problem persists but as far as I am aware I have installed the latest version.

I am running xp  windows media center
    HP says this machine is Vista compatible however
    I guess this bodes poorly for my upgrading to vista.  Any suggestions?
    Friday, March 09, 2007 1:08 AM
  • Hi ampm99,

We are still researching this problem. I'm sorry that it's causing difficulty.

You wrote "I guess this bodes poorly...."

I agree it doesn't look good. I wouldn't be very pleased if failed on my PC. However, VUA is not Vista. If VUA worked, it would help you determine if your PC can run Vista. The fact that VUA fails doesn't mean Vista will fail. It just means that you don't have the help that VUA could have provided.

You may be able to contact the maker of your PC to find out if your model can run Vista.

This scanning error has been posted several times. We are researching it.

Friday, March 09, 2007 1:37 AM
  • Regarding the "VUA has encountered an error while scanning...." Error.
    Make sure you are connected to Internet while using VUA.
    Thats it. I had the same error when I was scanning my system as disconnected.
    I scanned it after connecting to Internet and it worked.

Friday, March 09, 2007 9:33 PM
  • Thank you tapspat,

As people try this, please post back with your results. We have been looking for a problem in the program rather than that connectivity was not available.

Thank you, Mike

Friday, March 09, 2007 10:54 PM
  • Just to let you know, I've reinstalled both .Net 2.0 and .Net 3.0, but I still get the same errors...
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:27 AM
  • Hi Itay,

Thanks for the update.  To help us duplicate the problem you're experiencing, I'd like to ask for a few details.  Can you outline the steps you took in the appropriate order?  Any information reported by the event viewer when the error occurred would be helpful as well.  Could you also provide a list of all running processes?

Thanks again.

Merzin - Program Manager

Microsoft Corporation

Monday, March 12, 2007 11:57 PM
  • Hi Merzin

I`ve been away from the computer so I have only just read your latest update.

I uninstalled .net 1 without a problem.

Tried the same with .net 2 windows would not let me do it.The reason given was that it might affect other applications that are installed and referred me to http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q312/5/00.asp went there only to find that it was not available & gave other links so I gave up.

However I tried  Win Vista Advisor and it worked ok. So that problem now sorted.

Thanks for that.

What I cannot understand is, if you do not require both .net 2 & .net 3 installed then why didn`t Windows Update uninstall the older versions?

Monday, April 02, 2007 12:06 PM
  • Hello

Seems I found the problem to my never-ending VUA scan. A program called SoundTaxi. I'm not sure if you are familiar with it. It allows you to rip purchased audio files to a new folder, into the format you choose, while at the same time removing the protection. After checking around the internet, I have noticed that others who had this program installed were also having the problem. After uninstalling SoundTaxi and rebooting, I ran the advisor again. It finished in about 5 minutes. I'm happy to say that except for a few minor software issues, which may be fixable, my system is ready for Vista. However, there are many programs similar to SoundTaxi that people may have installed on their systems that could be causing the same problem.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 11:57 AM
  • Well it did work ok but it was not until I shut down & rebooted on another day did I find out all was not ok.

Windows would not boot up without an error. I attempted to recover from it but it just got worse.

I had to do a complete reinstall of windows so I was not a happy bunny.

Not only that during the reinstall of all the windows update. Windows update installed the same .net 1 2 etc as it had done before.

Which raises the question If you don`t need 1 or 2 as the latest version replaces them. Then why does windows update tells you need the update?

My advice is don`t uninstall any of the vers. of .net. 

After all that hassle I have given up on windows vista advisor and also Vista.

If they can not get an advisor program to work ok then I do not have any faith in them being able to get Vista to work ok.  

Friday, May 11, 2007 7:54 AM
  • Attempting to run the Upgrade Advisor it appears to start the scan and comes back and displays "Your system could not be evaluated at this time." 

Under system requirements, "We could not scan your hardware at this time.  Please uninstall Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor and reinstall the latest version."

Attempted to uninstall and reinstall, with the same results.  All four VUA* files are being generated, VUA_WinSat* is 0KB.

Everything looks OK in Device Manager.  Anyone have any ideas?
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007 5:32 PM
  • I cannot get the scan to run.  The only file generated is VUA_WinSat_M-COLE.xml.  I have all the right components already installed (.NET 2/MSXML 6).  No hardware errors or errors in Error Logs.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Monday, June 11, 2007 4:34 PM
  • I don't have Vista but was also asked by windows installer error help message to look up what appears to be a non existant help page.

support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q312/5/00.asp

I have used downloaded and run the .NET clean up tool

Re-installed .NET framework using SP1 Windows Home Edition installation CD

I have saved the .NET 2.0 redistributable x86 package to a folder on C:\ drive

Windows XP can never find the msi installer to operate the repair function.

I am now getting the message that the version I am installing is incompatible with previous version after installing .NET 3.0, or rather Microsoft Automatic Updater did it.

I had an error message referring to two files in J#, one linked to Adobe reader when using the Microsoft Java tool.

I have also found that since re-installing the .NET framework needed for my radeon 7000 AGP that I am unable to run liveupdate from NIS 2008 and NIS now loads in tray and if I select task bar it just disappears.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 8:56 PM
  • I am running the latest Vista Upgrade Advisor (as of 2/28/2008) on a machine that I ran a previous version successfully (several months ago.)  The latest version fails with the "encountered an error...If the problem persists, uninstall... install latest..." message.

The most notable change I can recall making to this machine in that time is the installation of the Windows Home Server client software (I did that a few days ago.)  It's also possible I did not have .NET 3.0 on the machine previously.

I am seeing these two items in the Application event log for each failure:

Event Type: Information
    Event ID: 1024
    Date:  2/28/2008
    Time:  11:41:12 PM
    Computer: ALADIN
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 1024 ) in Source ( ACT-DC ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: [Collect.exe] All tasks completed.
    Data:

Event Type: Error
    Event ID: 1008
    Date:  2/28/2008
    Time:  11:41:16 PM
    Computer: ALADIN
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 1008 ) in Source ( ACT-DC ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: [Bucketizer.exe] Failed to extract evidence collection from XML (hr= 0x00004005).
    Data:

If I can be of additional assistance in tracking this, please let me know (you can find me in the MS GAL, if needed.)

-Bill

Friday, February 29, 2008 5:46 AM