none
windows explorer closing when i open My Pictures

Question

• Hi

Every time i try to open My Pictures folder windows explorer closes down with the message 'Windows explorer has stopped working/ is restarting'

I opened an email and clicked 'download all as zip' for some electrical photos i sent from a friends computer. Since then every time i try to open My Pictures folder it closes windows explorer.

Will this info help:

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Explorer.EXE

Application Version: 6.0.6002.18005

Application Timestamp: 49e01da5

Fault Module Name: QuickTime.qts_unloaded

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 4cf4536a

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 5bb6bb89

OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: fd00

Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Additional Information 3: fd00

Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

ALSO IN EVENT VIEWER I FOUND THIS IF IT HELPS :

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Application Error
    Date:          11/11/2011 05:36:42
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      jon-AR-laptop
    Description:
    Faulting application Explorer.EXE, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e01da5, faulting module QuickTime.qts_unloaded, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4cf4536a, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x5a8fbb89, process id 0x218, application start time 0x01cca02e6c40bd1f.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>100</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-11-11T05:36:42.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>122548</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>jon-AR-laptop</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>Explorer.EXE</Data>
        <Data>6.0.6002.18005</Data>
        <Data>49e01da5</Data>
        <Data>QuickTime.qts_unloaded</Data>
        <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
        <Data>4cf4536a</Data>
        <Data>c0000005</Data>
        <Data>5a8fbb89</Data>
        <Data>218</Data>
        <Data>01cca02e6c40bd1f</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Im using vista sp2, hotmail,

Friday, November 11, 2011 6:11 AM

Answers

• You can use the System File Checker tool check if the related system components were corrupted and repair the components.

If the above steps does not help, I suggest performing the System Restore.

If the issue persists, may go to repair the system:

Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1). Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2). Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3). Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

4). Click Repair your computer. 

5). In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 

6). At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7). Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

8). In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, November 22, 2011 4:15 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You may take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Please reboot the computer in Clean Boot to check the result.

2. Run antivirus program and perform a full scanning in Safe Mode.

3. Run ShellExView

------------------------------------

1). Download ShellExView v1.41 from the following link http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2). Right-click the "shexview.zip" file, select "Extract All", the Extraction Wizard will prompt.

3). Click Next, input "C:\ShellExView" (without the quotation marks) in the "Files will be extracted to this directory" textbox.

4). Click Next and click Finnish.

5). Open the "C:\ShellExView" folder and double-click the "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

6). Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

7). Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

8). Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by bravo9992 Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:34 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by bravo9992 Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:34 AM
    • Proposed as answer by rashad0007 Saturday, June 16, 2012 5:09 PM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:07 AM
  • yes thanks this has worked.

But now my machine wont shut down?? When i click the shut down button my computer gets as far as the 'SHUTTING DOWN'message, i can leave it for hours and come back and it says 'SHUTTING DOWN. i have to hold down the 'off' button to force it to turn off.

Have i down something incorrect to cause this, also have i lost any programs doing this etc?

j brown
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:44 PM
  • Also my volume, mute and S1 S2 buttons have stopped working. I have a Sony Vaio VGN-AR61ZU.

I havent checked everything yet so there could be other things not working.

j brown
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:07 PM
  • You can use the System File Checker tool check if the related system components were corrupted and repair the components.

If the above steps does not help, I suggest performing the System Restore.

If the issue persists, may go to repair the system:

Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1). Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2). Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3). Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

4). Click Repair your computer. 

5). In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 

6). At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7). Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

8). In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Regards,

Sabrina

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, November 22, 2011 4:15 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:38 AM
  • thanks again for the reply sabrina.

before i do this repair, do u think this will cause me to lose anything on my computer?

Also my system restore hasnt worked for some time now with no luck trying to fix it, as doesnt my auto backup thing.

Because of this I've been saving most things, movies, Music, photos, work related stuff etc straight to an external H: disk, with just programs etc on my C: disk

So if i try the System File Checker then if no luck straight to Repair the System, would this lose all my info on my external disk?

Thanks for your help.

j brown
    • Edited by bravo9992 Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:33 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:32 AM
  • If you have backup all the files in the external disk, it will not damage them when do system repair.

regards,

Sabrina

Friday, November 18, 2011 5:43 AM