none
Any way to get my Microsoft Arcade (and other 16-bit) Icons back?

Question

• Ok, so I installed Windows 3.1 Microsoft Arcade and Return of Arcade on Windows 7.  Because I like the classic arcade games "Battlezone" and "Missile Command" and "Pole Position" and Centipede .........

AND THEY ALL WORK !!

BUT ..... they have no (or, more correctly, generic) icons in the start menu.  I know, they are 16-bit icons and support for this was taken out of Windows 7 (Booo, Hisssss; contrary to the official Microsoft view, some of still use a few Windows 3.1 programs (yes, I have more of them than just Arcade and Return of Arcade ... actually, about a dozen more that I still routinely use) that otherwise work.

So, does anyone have a work-around?  Is there a way of extracting the icons into some kind of resource library of just Icons?  [I am not a Windows programmer, but I am a computer engineer and know my way around pretty well.]

Any work-arounds would be appreciated.
    Monday, January 04, 2010 1:11 PM

Answers

• Hey Barry,

I thought I was the only one who has all those type games.  I've got things like the original Tetris for Windows, Chip's Challenge, and JezzBall.

They don't show icons for me either, but I never found a workaround.  I suppose I could create shortcuts to the EXE's and set my own icons, but I can't even find the original icons for the games.  My guess is that the Windows-On-Windows 16-Bit emulator can't read the header from the exe files, but who knows.  I'd love an answer to this as well.

PS.  The fact that these work is a crazy demonstration of the backwards compatibility in Windows.  Things from 20 years ago still run!

If this was helpful, please vote. If it solves the issue, please click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Monday, January 04, 2010 7:05 PM

All replies

• Hey Barry,

I thought I was the only one who has all those type games.  I've got things like the original Tetris for Windows, Chip's Challenge, and JezzBall.

They don't show icons for me either, but I never found a workaround.  I suppose I could create shortcuts to the EXE's and set my own icons, but I can't even find the original icons for the games.  My guess is that the Windows-On-Windows 16-Bit emulator can't read the header from the exe files, but who knows.  I'd love an answer to this as well.

PS.  The fact that these work is a crazy demonstration of the backwards compatibility in Windows.  Things from 20 years ago still run!

If this was helpful, please vote. If it solves the issue, please click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Monday, January 04, 2010 7:05 PM
  • As Shawn suggested, I think creating shortcut (.lnk) files then editing the property of the link to point to an icon you want is your best bet. You would need a copy of the icon image for that to work.
    -Matt
    Monday, January 04, 2010 10:39 PM
  • But why can't MS just show the 16-bit EXE icons like they show 32-bit EXE icons? Hotfix please ASAP or fix this in Windows 7 Service Pack 1. All my Windows Entertainment Pack games run but don't show icons even when pinned to the Windows 7 taskbar which shows generic ugly EXE icon. I can understand about 64-bit not running but why no icons in 32-bit versions of Windows 7 when the 16-bit programs run just fine? Please fix this Microsoft.
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:33 AM
  • I have a legitimate copy of Windows 7 64bit which runs 32 bit programs just fine. I have been looking for a copy of Chip's Challenge which will run on my 64bit pc since I built it and installed Vista. Come on Microsoft there are a lot of us out there who loved playing these old Entertainment Pack games so why not re-code them for Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit machines?

This forum proves how popular these games still are so come on recode and sell them on to us please

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 10:50 PM
  • Hi, well I went and extracted all the 16 bit icons for both Microsoft Arcade and the Windows Entertainment Pack. So all you have to do is Download them and copy them into the folder you install each program into and then for each program shortcut modify the properties and point it to the new icons that you just copied. 

Here is the Link to where you can download the icons.

http://cid-9f55265f9567879b.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public

hi
    Monday, May 02, 2011 3:26 AM
  • Barry,

Maybe you could help me out. I have the Microsoft Return of Arcade Anniversary Edition 2.0 win32 verson. I have tried all the recommended methods like "run in compatability mode" to get this game to run, but it does not. Can't get it to work. My operating system is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Can you tell me how and what you did to get this game to install and run on Windows 7?

Thanks

Monday, May 30, 2011 11:07 PM
  • Thanks so much for posting these icons.  You totally helped us old-school gamers out.

You don't, by any chance, have the icons for Chip's Challenge or WordZap!, do you?

What about the icons for Return of Arcade.

Anyway, thanks so much!

Friday, October 28, 2011 1:39 AM
  • I ran across the same issue as all of you.  The problem is that the icon is embedded in the 16bit exe file.  What I did is open the exe files with Irfanview on an XP or earlier PC, then save as a .ico file.  Then change the properties of the desktop shortcut to point to the .ico files created.

BTW, Return of Arcade will work on Win7 32 bit, but I haven't found a way to make it even install on 64 bit.  Even if I copy over the files, I get a message that the application is not compatible, even if I try to run in compatibility mode.

• Edited by Diamondfist Saturday, November 24, 2012 6:40 AM Clarify required OS to open embedded icons
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:55 AM