none
Media Player Audio/Video out of sync

General discussion

• I have noticed, when I watch some recorded media in .mpg, the video and audio are out of sync. They work fine with VLC. Anyone else notice this? 
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:32 PM

All replies

• Look in Task Manager and tell us what your CPU usage is when playing the .mpg file in both WMP12 and VLC.  WMP12 seems to take much more processing power than WMP11, and if your CPU is railed at 100% you are going to get sync problems.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:29 PM
  • spl_xtreme said:

I have noticed, when I watch some recorded media in .mpg, the video and audio are out of sync. They work fine with VLC. Anyone else notice this? 

use winamp or some other player and see if its WMP12 or something else, also, is it out of sync with all videos or just some? if just some, what type, maybe you need to download the codes for it.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 2:16 PM
  • HP Deskjet's Computer Specifications
    Operating System:    Windows 7 Build 7000 (Beta 1)
    Computer Type:    Self built
    Processor:    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz
    Motherboard:    Asus P5b-Plus Vista Edition
    Video Card:    EVGA Nvidia 8600GT 256Mb Superclocked
    Memory:    4Gb Crucial 128Mx64 DDR2 PC2 5300
    Hard Drive:    2 x SAMSUNG HD403LJ 3.5" x 1/3H - 7200 tpm - 300 MBps - Serial ATA-300 [Hard drive] (both 400,09 GB)
    Network Card:    Atheros L1 Gigabyte Ethernet 10/100/1000 Base-T Controller
    Optical Drive:    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B ATA Device & TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182D ATA Device
    Anti-virus:    NOD32

I'm having a similar problem with video and sound synching. WMP & WMC play the sound out of synch but only when playing certain HD files with either .wmv or .divx extensions. When playing these files in the Divx Player there is no problem with synching & the CPU rate runs between 35-44% for the DIVX Player.exe file in Process Explorer . I uninstalled the K-Lite 64 bit codec pack I had installed and this has also not resolved the issue. I never experienced this problem in Windows Vista Home Premium.  CPU use of WMC ehshell.exe is at 49.8% when running WMC, which strikes me as exceptionally high.  When running these HD files in WMP wmpplayer.exe is running at 52%, again very high IMO.

I've got the Win. 7 drivers for my EVGA GeForce 8600GT installed, Creative Sound Blaster X-fi Extreme Audio drivers [installed under Vista & as Administrator].I'm having a similar problem but it has to do with video and sound synching. WMP & WMC play the sound out of synch but only when playing certain HD files with either .wmv or .divx extensions. When playing these files in the Divx Player there is no problem with synching. I uninstalled the K-Lite 64 bit codec pack I had installed and this has also not resolved the issue. I never experienced this problem in Windows Vista Home Premium.

I've got the Win. 7 drivers for my EVGA GeForce 8600GT installed, Creative Sound Blaster X-fi Extreme Audio drivers [installed under Vista & as Administrator].

Thursday, January 22, 2009 6:29 PM
  • The synchronisation issue applies to me too. I just upgraded my laptop to W7. Initially when I tried to use media player with the W7 welcome vids I had no video. The sound was OK. I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers for my video card and hey presto, video but it's annoyingly out of synch with the sound. Guess whic card I use - Geforce 8600M GT. I looked at this problem on other sites and guess which cards they use?...That's right 8600 GT.
    I suggest that we all wander over to the Nvidia support site and ask them what's going on.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 12:25 PM
  • I've got the same issue on all 3 of my Win7 machines. The issue only crops up when using Microsoft's built-in decoders--VLC is fine. I've emailed Microsoft about it--we'll see if they're able to point me in the right direction. If it works, I'll share!
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 11:31 PM
  • Basically, Microsoft's response was that they know about the issue (whew!) and they're working on it. *sigh* Looks like we just wait.
    Monday, December 07, 2009 9:08 PM
  • I've about had it with WMP12. I've posted about this exact same issue on other Microsoft forum sites. I'm beginning to think that it is an issue with the Nvidia series of cards (like was started above). I've got a 9500GT card in mine, and even with that the video will randomly go out of sync and get really slow. Doesn't matter if its HD format or 4:3 ratio. The bulk of the files are in avi. but that's very vague and generalized as there are so many variations on .avi and .mpeg. Here's what I have tried so far, and none of its has fixed it.

Installing additional codec packs (other than the divix)

Uninstalled the codec packs

Pulled my graphics card out to check for damage or fan failure (was fine)

Ran Windows Update (none avail)

Ran CCleaner

Ran Registry Mechanic

Checked active processes and services (eliminated those that were unnecessary)

Turned off Diskeeper's automatic mode on the video storage drives. (turned it back on as it did not fix the issue)

Scanned for viruses and spyware (nothing found)

Watched Task Manager like a hawk for changes, WMP main exe does not put a dent in the processor, stays on 0% usage for the most part. System idle Process goes from 95 to 98% usage during playback and some minor usage from the audio endpoint builder (audiodg.exe) Either WMP is not reporting its usage in task manager correctly or its a process that does not show.  The DWM.exe, desktop window manager has more usage (3%) than wmplayer.exe  I can play the same shows in SMplayer and they work fine.

I've become used to the handy integration of the media library to quickly search the video library for what I want to watch. As well as its "play all" ability to just have TV play on and on while I do other stuff on the internet using the second screen. Maybe its just the format of the shows, but why can it play one avi file and not the other? I'm not streaming them in from another computer. This is all done locally.

System file checker has been running while I typed this up, it says it found some corrupted files, probably the log on screen mod and my modified imagres.dll file for custom user folder icons. Maybe it will fix this issue to. When Windows was first installed WMP worked perfectly. Come on MS release a hotfix or update for WMP12, you know that we know that you know your software is buggy.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 5:11 AM
  • I have noticed, when I watch some recorded media in .mpg, the video and audio are out of sync. They work fine with VLC. Anyone else notice this? 
    It should be noted that by default VLC player will sync audio and video if they are out of sync (its in the settings). The problem is most likely a bad encode of the video and not your system. This can be fixed by using a program like MKVmerge or Virtual Dub and manually adjusting the audio/video tracks till they sync (major pain in the butt if you don't know what your doing, BUT not to hard to learn).
     I will say that in some cases lower end video cards can also be the cause of this issue.
    • Edited by DirtyOleBeggar Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:54 PM crashed and wasn't finished with post
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:45 PM
  • The synchronisation issue applies to me too. I just upgraded my laptop to W7. Initially when I tried to use media player with the W7 welcome vids I had no video. The sound was OK. I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers for my video card and hey presto, video but it's annoyingly out of synch with the sound. Guess whic card I use - Geforce 8600M GT. I looked at this problem on other sites and guess which cards they use?...That's right 8600 GT.
    I suggest that we all wander over to the Nvidia support site and ask them what's going on.

Windows 7 64

Intel Core i7-2630

6GB RAM

ATI RadeonHD 6770M

The 8600 is quite a popular card, I believe, but my problem would lead me to believe nVidia isn't the cause

Sunday, July 03, 2011 8:20 AM
  • This is an interesting problem as I have encountered myself while trying to do my own encoding;

I've just got a slick new asus blu ray burner and looking to rip and encode some excellent star wars legacy blu rays into super high quality mp4s, full 6.1 dts acc 1080 ect... After trying a number of methods using dvdfab, making ripping m2ts's and then using ripbot to mp4, and mkv, as well as the native dvdfab encoders and all video and audio seem to be slightly out of sync using windows based media players.

When these files are played on windows players, like mp classic, mp 12, wmc, the lag is present, only a fraction of a second but its there, however run perfectly in nero kw, leading me to believe that nero is much like vlc, making it much harder to pinpoint the cause of this ear-rating audio lag.

The m2ts and other videos outside this project all play fine, and my hardware should be beefy enough to handle it well so I'm wondering where am I going wrong? Why are these windows players different where as if I use a third step audio sync software like Virtual Dub will it not effect the playback in nero or vlc?

Anyone Else notice such issues and were able to resolve them?

Dj Awesome;

AMD A8-3850 APU

AMD Radeon HD 6550D & HD 6570 Crossfire

8 GB of RAM

Windows 7

Saturday, March 10, 2012 1:39 PM