none
WMI corrupt - how to reinstall/repair?

Question

• Hi,

WMI Control\General reports "Failed to connect to <local computer> because of "WMI: Generic failure". The same also displayed in services.msc and Service\Dependencies attribute.

Executing a restore from last backup file does not change a thing. WMI service is running.

The WMidiag is too old for Vista (I've not found a Vista version), and is incorrectly reporting missing files.

I have not found any means to remedy this, nor reinstalling WMI. Do I have to run OS installation+repair?

Regards

Morten Ross

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 10:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If the above steps do not work on your computer, we have to reinstall Windows to solve the problem.

Technically, you won’t lose any data to take an In-place Upgrade Installation. In order to avoid any unexpected problem, I suggest you backup your data before taking In-place Upgrade Installation.

1) Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2) Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3) Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

• If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears.

Click Install now.

• If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, type (Drive: )\setup.exe in the Start Search box, and then click Enter.

Note: (Drive: ) is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.  

4) When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Installing and reinstalling Windows

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/e77344fa-e978-464c-953e-eba44f0522671033.mspx

Good Luck!

Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:56 AM
  • Hi,

Yes I had to run Windows Setup and Upgrade, as I originally feared. It also worked as expected.

Morten

Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:59 AM

All replies

•  Hello Morten,

1) Start the computer and press F8 on boot up and select Safe Mode.

2) In the start menu type "cmd" (without quotes) and on the top search result, right click the program icon and choose Run as administrator

3) Type "net stop winmgmt" (without quotes) and press Enter to make certain the WindowsManagementInstrumentation (WMI) service is not running.

4) Open a Windows Explorer and locate the path to C:\ windows\system32\WBEM\ folder and rename the Repository folder to something else like RepositoryOLD (right click and choose 'Rename Folder').

5) Reboot and restart as normal.

6) In the start menu type "cmd" (without quotes) and on the top search result, right click the icon and choose Run as administrator

7) Type "net stop winmgmt" (without quotes) and press enter to stop the WMI service.

8) Type "winmgmt /resetRepository" (without quotes) and restart the computer.

Hope it works !

• Proposed as answer by keslansus Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:24 AM
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 10:50 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion.

It seemingly went like a charm, but then not. Now the error is "WMI: not found". This is a very strange situation I've never encountered before, not many others either, it seems.

It seems the repository is not being populated, as it remains 64kb, while the prior size was 22mb. None of the parameters are helping in the populating of the repository.

Regards

Morten

• Proposed as answer by keslansus Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:23 AM
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:03 PM
  • Hi,

If the above steps do not work on your computer, we have to reinstall Windows to solve the problem.

Technically, you won’t lose any data to take an In-place Upgrade Installation. In order to avoid any unexpected problem, I suggest you backup your data before taking In-place Upgrade Installation.

1) Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2) Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3) Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

• If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears.

Click Install now.

• If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, type (Drive: )\setup.exe in the Start Search box, and then click Enter.

Note: (Drive: ) is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.  

4) When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Installing and reinstalling Windows

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/e77344fa-e978-464c-953e-eba44f0522671033.mspx

Good Luck!

Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:56 AM
  • Hi,

Yes I had to run Windows Setup and Upgrade, as I originally feared. It also worked as expected.

Morten

Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:59 AM
  • You saved my day !
    Friday, November 30, 2012 12:00 AM