none
Error Code: 800f0902

Question

• Running home premium, installed SP1 after removing the previous version. Get error code: 800f0902 when I go to Windows Update.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 5:13 AM

All replies

• Confirmed with me too. Vista 64-bit Ultimate.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 5:37 PM
  • Same problem here after uninstalling the SP1 RTM. I am now back to Vista build 6000. Also x64 edition.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 11:37 AM
  • I renamed the folder %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ to %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download.old and now it seems to work.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 11:52 AM
  •  

I've searched Google and finally found this page.

I renamed my Download directory to Download.old, but it still did not do anything.

Then, I accidentally loaded Internet Explorer (I normally use Firefox).  After loading IE and then trying the Windows Update out of frustration, the 800F0902 error went away.  Windows Update started working again.  (This was after trying it for about the fifth time, and the final time was after I loaded IE).

Perhaps running Internet Explorer for the first time after the Vista SP1 update sets up something on the system.  Who knows, but at least the update works again.... at least, for now.

Be sure to post here if you end up getting it to work after executing IE.  I saw a bunch of questions about this on other forums, but no solutions!

Sunday, March 09, 2008 3:40 PM
  • Running IE once then closing it solved the problem for me.
    Monday, March 17, 2008 4:16 AM
  • Running IE did not solve it for me, but renaming the download folder did fix it
    Tuesday, March 18, 2008 12:44 PM
  • Running Internet Explorer as suggested above and then going to windows updates through IE (Tools -> Windows Updates) fixed it for me!
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:56 AM
  • Thanks. It immediately helped me too. Microsoft should do something against this issue though.
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:06 PM
  • Followed the same steps mentioned above by holycow and that fixed it for me. Thanks!
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 2:08 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue. We would like to delve more on to this issue.

Please log a bug report using http://connect.microsoft.com/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=2730&SiteID=749&InvitationID=CPP-G93D-QDHH
    Do post back the feedback ID for our reference.

Thanks,
    Sachin

Friday, February 13, 2009 6:35 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue. We would like to delve more on to this issue.

Please log a bug report using http://connect.microsoft.com/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=2730&SiteID=749&InvitationID=CPP-G93D-QDHH
    Do post back the feedback ID for our reference.

Thanks,
    Sachin

Sachin,

Thanks for providing the URL, but don't you think there's enough information in this thread to submit the bug report yourself internally?  Why should we have to do anything more?
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 12:58 PM
  • Loading IE immediately fixed my problem.  Didn't even have to close IE or wait at all.  Opened and then switched back to Windows Update window and clicked Check for Updates and it worked right away.

Vista 64-bit Business

• Proposed as answer by Marpola Wednesday, September 29, 2010 1:47 PM
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 12:59 PM
  • How do i find the folder to rename it?
    Friday, October 29, 2010 4:48 AM