none
Windows 7 Outlook 2003 Word 2003 Problem

Question

• I recently ugraded from Vista to Windows 7 Home Premium.
    I am using Outlook 2003 with Word 2003 as the editor.
    When I access a message in Outlook and forward it to another address the forwarded word display is frozen and cannot easily be removed.
    The forwarding process works fine if I do not use Word as the editor.
    This worked fine under Vista
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:53 AM

Answers

• I have had office 2003 running on a windows 7 platform without any issues. Although I didn't come across any issues I would suggest installing outlook and word and then making sure you have the latest service pack along with and updates from windows update. (Start > Control Panel > Windows Update).

I would alos check to see if you have any add-ons enabel within outlook\word, some 3rd party add-ons can cause outlook to become unstable
    1. Start Outlook 2003.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Options .
    3. On the Other tab, do one of the following:
      • Remove COM add-ins. To do this, follow these steps:
        1. Click Advanced Options .
        2. In the Advanced Options dialog box, click COM Add-ins .
    In an ideal world compatibility mode should not be required as office 2003 is supported in windows 7.  If you still experience issues then post again and include a screenshot.

Matt
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 11:06 AM
  • Thanks Matt,
    I did remove one COM add-in for Google calendar sync.
    This did fix the problem
    Thanks
    PS as you see my replies to the others, compatibility mode also fixed it.
    • Marked as answer by Tony-steam Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:57 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 12:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Tony-steam,

Have you tried running Outlook in Windows XP or Windows Vista compatibility mode?
    Here the steps

1.  Right Click on Outlook icon and select Properties.
    2.  Select Compatibility tab on the properties window.
    3.  Tick “Run this program in compatibility mode:” check box.
    4.  Select any of the option Windows XP (Service Pack2), Windows XP (Service Pack3), Windows Vista (Service Pack 1), Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) from the drop down menu and apply it.

If compatibility mode does't fix your issue uninstall and reinstall Office it may fix your issue.

It’s best if you can save all your emails before uninstalling Office.

For taking backup

1.  On the File menu, click Import and Export.
    2.  Click Export to a file, and then click Next.
    3.  In the list, click Personal Folder File (.pst), and then click Next.
    4.  Click the folder that contains the messages you want to back up. If the folder contains a subfolder that you want to include, select the Include Subfolders check box, and then click Next.
    5.  Under Save exported file as, click Browse, and then specify a name and location for your backup file, for example, Mail Backup. (don't use the default location, choose an area out with the office area like C:\Email\Backup.pst)
    6.  If you back up a .pst file that you have backed up to before, click one of the following:

•   Replace duplicates with items exported Existing data will be overwritten with the information in the file being exported.
        •   Allow duplicate items to be created Existing data will not be overwritten, and duplicate information will be added to the backup file.
        •   Do not export duplicate items Existing data will be kept, and the duplicate information in the folder will not be copied to the backup file.
    7.  Click Finish.

For Importing from exported pst file do the following.

1.  On the File menu, click Import and Export.
    2.  Click Import from another program or file, and then click Next.
    3.  Click Personal Folder File (.pst), and then click Next.
    4.  In the File to import box, specify the path and file name of the .pst file you want to import.
    5.  Choose one of the following:

• Replace duplicates with items imported Existing data will be overwritten with the information in the file being imported.
        • Allow duplicates to be created Existing data will not be overwritten, and duplicates will be added to the current Outlook folder.
        • Do not import duplicate items Existing data will be kept, and the duplicate information in the file will not be copied to the current Outlook folder.

6.  Follow the remaining instructions in the Import and Export Wizard.

I Hope this helps you,
    Thanks,
    Bineesh

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:09 PM
  • I recently ugraded from Vista to Windows 7 Home Premium.
    I am using Outlook 2003 with Word 2003 as the editor.
    When I access a message in Outlook and forward it to another address the forwarded word display is frozen and cannot easily be removed.
    The forwarding process works fine if I do not use Word as the editor.
    This worked fine under Vista

It works for me (Outlook 2003, Word 2003, Win 7 Home Premium X64).

I didn't do any extra to get it running.

Do things totally freeze, or do you get the swirling activity cursor (that used to be the Windows hourglass)?
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:42 AM
  • I have had office 2003 running on a windows 7 platform without any issues. Although I didn't come across any issues I would suggest installing outlook and word and then making sure you have the latest service pack along with and updates from windows update. (Start > Control Panel > Windows Update).

I would alos check to see if you have any add-ons enabel within outlook\word, some 3rd party add-ons can cause outlook to become unstable
    1. Start Outlook 2003.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Options .
    3. On the Other tab, do one of the following:
      • Remove COM add-ins. To do this, follow these steps:
        1. Click Advanced Options .
        2. In the Advanced Options dialog box, click COM Add-ins .
    In an ideal world compatibility mode should not be required as office 2003 is supported in windows 7.  If you still experience issues then post again and include a screenshot.

Matt
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 11:06 AM
  • Thanks Bineesh, it did work in compatibility mode
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 11:58 AM
  • No swirling cursor but the vertical line positioned in the TO field ready for typing nut the field is locked!
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 12:04 PM
  • Thanks Matt,
    I did remove one COM add-in for Google calendar sync.
    This did fix the problem
    Thanks
    PS as you see my replies to the others, compatibility mode also fixed it.
    • Marked as answer by Tony-steam Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:57 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 12:06 PM
  • Dear Bineesh,

I have same problem and your answer is good but it's taking too much time for backing up file? Just let me know regarding this problem in MS Office, OS or .pst file?

Thanks,

Shafi Mohammad

email: shafimuhammadkhan@yahoo.com

Friday, April 27, 2012 6:01 AM
  • Do not forget to download and install the Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8) to get the full Windows 7 compatibility.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

Friday, April 27, 2012 11:02 AM