none
Windows 7 Explorer Crashes unexpectedly

Question

• Hi,

My Windows 7 explorer crashes unexpectedly several times in a day. Even I noticed the same behavior on my peers computers. Any one knows how to solve this issue ? 

FYI - I have not installed any freeware or unregistered third party application on my PC. Also I have tried all version of Windows 7 (Home, ultimate etc) but problem remains the same.

Regards

Muhammad Tariq khan
    Monday, April 18, 2011 8:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Muhammad Tariq khan,

Thanks for the post!

Open the Event Viewer, any logs with explorer.exe showed there? Provide us with the detailed information.

Meanwhile, please do a System File Check, refer to here:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en. After the check, restart the Windows Explorer, does it work now?

Enter into the Safe Mode, if it works in Safe Mode, try a Clean Boot to find the cause.

If the issue persists, follow these steps to enable the user-mode dump file when Windows Explorer crash.

1. Click Start, input regedit in the search box, press Enter

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting

3. Right-click Windows Error Reporting, choose New Key, name it LocalDumps.

4. Right-click LocalDumps, choose New Key, name it Explorer.exe

5. Click Explorer.exe, on the right pane, right-click choose New Expandable String Value, name it Dump Folder.

6. Double-click Dump Folder, set the value date: C:\LocalDumps

If the Windows Explorer crash again,  upload this C:\LocalDumps folder to your SkyDrive in a public folder and give us a link here. Then I'll check if can find the cause.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Muhammad Tariq khan,

Thanks for the post!

Open the Event Viewer, any logs with explorer.exe showed there? Provide us with the detailed information.

Meanwhile, please do a System File Check, refer to here:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en. After the check, restart the Windows Explorer, does it work now?

Enter into the Safe Mode, if it works in Safe Mode, try a Clean Boot to find the cause.

If the issue persists, follow these steps to enable the user-mode dump file when Windows Explorer crash.

1. Click Start, input regedit in the search box, press Enter

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting

3. Right-click Windows Error Reporting, choose New Key, name it LocalDumps.

4. Right-click LocalDumps, choose New Key, name it Explorer.exe

5. Click Explorer.exe, on the right pane, right-click choose New Expandable String Value, name it Dump Folder.

6. Double-click Dump Folder, set the value date: C:\LocalDumps

If the Windows Explorer crash again,  upload this C:\LocalDumps folder to your SkyDrive in a public folder and give us a link here. Then I'll check if can find the cause.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:09 AM
  • Dear Miyo,

The explorer crash problem is occuring in almost all the computers where windows 7 is installed. Do you have any patch to resolve this issue (As this is a common bug)?. Also logs will be important only in that case if problem is occuring only with one PC with specific conditions. We are facing the problem with multiple machines having different hardware specifications and types and nature of the problem is same.

Regards

Muhammad Tariq khan

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:21 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the post!

This issue is not a common bug. It could be caused by some third-party conflicts, the virus or malware or some other things we can do not know yet.

Could you enter into Safe Mode? Follow my suggestions above. You can test it on one problematic computer.

If in safe mode and try Clean Boot, the issue still persists. We need to analyze the dump files to find the reason.

Regards,

Miya

Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:54 AM