none
Windows Explorer Suddenly will not create any New Folders anywhere..

Question

• I haven't done any changes to my PC but suddenly I can't create any new folders on desktop or any drive or on USB Media... I've tried Linda Yan's Command prompt suggestion and I ran the FIX IT. I've also did the SFC.exe and nothing worked. Can anyone help or have an idea of what the fix is?

Thx!

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 11:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• I haven't done any changes to my PC but suddenly I can't create any new folders on desktop or any drive or on USB Media... I've tried Linda Yan's Command prompt suggestion and I ran the FIX IT. I've also did the SFC.exe and nothing worked. Can anyone help or have an idea of what the fix is?

• What exactly is Linda Yan's Command Prompt suggestion?
    • Does the problem persist when you log on with your spare admin account?
    • Does the problem persist when you boot into Safe Mode?
    Wednesday, January 02, 2013 11:54 PM
  • Hi,

As Oberwald said, please give us more information for this issue.

Meanwhile, please try to boot into Safe Mode to test the issue. If it works, I suggest you refer to the steps in the following link to narrow down the issue.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 04, 2013 8:50 AM
  • I found Linda Yan's suggestion when I searched the Forum with the title I have hear.. it is about a 2 year old recommendation from previous issues.. It was working fine and all of the sudden in the middle of the day it did not.. when in explorer, if I click NEW FOLDER, nothing happens and if I right click on the desktop there used to be a Folder option on drop down and that is now disappeared.. I didn't install any new programs etc either so I don't know why and how.. I tried SFC.exe and that doesn't seem to exist on my pc and FIX it didn't do anything either, I will try both the Safe Mode and the spare admin and see what happens than let you know.. Thanks for the replies...
    • Proposed as answer by MOVE3 Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:05 PM
    Saturday, January 05, 2013 12:44 AM
  • Hi,

Waiting for your response and you can check whether tried the steps again would help.

Cannot create new folder in Windows 7

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/97de8a2a-12f2-4381-a409-a78f4ae551cf

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 8:54 AM
  • This worked perfectly when I "switched users" - you suggested the spare admin account but as was attempting to do that I thought I'd try a different user first.  This problem was driving me insane as I am a doctorate student and am trying to categorize my research in folders.  There are so many opinions, downloads, solicitations for driver updates, etc. you name it to fix this problem - it is crazy!  I just kept reading blog after blog until I came across yours and it was so basic that I had to try it.  My guess is that a lot of people are doing a lot of craziness to their computers' registers for naught.  Thank you so much for reminders of the "basics" first.

Saturday, November 02, 2013 7:07 PM