none
Can't delete desktop icons

Question

• I'm running Vista.  I loaded a program and then deleted it.  It left two desktop icons.  These two can not be deleted in any of the traditional ways.  When I try to click on them, it says the link is missing.  When I try to drag to recylce bin, it shows a red x.  When I try to right click, does not give the option to delete.  I rebooted in safe mood but that didn't help to get rid of the icons.  I tried to reload the program and then delete but that didn't work either.  Any suggestions??

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 1:20 AM

Answers

•  

are they special icon like explorer or recycle bin

run regedit

and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

under NameSpace you will see GUIDs check them(dont remove recycle or my computer ....)  if you find remove GUID

if it does not solve use

rd /s /q "file path"

Monday, January 21, 2008 6:18 PM
  • Did you try Refreshing your desktop after you delted these files? You could do so by right clicking the desktop, and clicking refresh.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 12:02 AM

All replies

• I think you can try to using other OS boot up and go to the Vista's Desktop folder to delete these icon or try to hidden these icon in Vista

Friday, January 04, 2008 8:38 AM
  •  

<<explicative>>complete garbage and a waste of time. in order to get rid of them you have to first reinstall the program, delete the icon and thennn uninstalll it.  God why was vista ever ceated,
    Saturday, January 05, 2008 5:48 PM
  •  

are they special icon like explorer or recycle bin

run regedit

and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

under NameSpace you will see GUIDs check them(dont remove recycle or my computer ....)  if you find remove GUID

if it does not solve use

rd /s /q "file path"

Monday, January 21, 2008 6:18 PM
  •  

Thanks a bunch, Goksen.  I followed your steps in the regedit and after I restarted, those pesky useless icons were gone!
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:43 AM
  • Did you try Refreshing your desktop after you delted these files? You could do so by right clicking the desktop, and clicking refresh.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 12:02 AM
  •  

Thanks, Euan.  That worked when I'd removed a program, but the icon was still on the desktop.  I would definitely suggest that anyone try a desktop refresh before going to the trouble of dinking with the registry.  (Rightclick the desktop and select Refresh.)
    Sunday, March 02, 2008 8:40 PM
  • Thanks for the refresh idea, worked well. I really hate screwing with the registry. thanks again.
    Sunday, April 06, 2008 4:16 PM
  • This worked!!

Cant believe it was this easy.. been trying to figure it out for days how to get rid of that damn icon!! Big Smile

THANK YOU

Monday, May 12, 2008 3:12 PM
  • Good info, but I also have one and tried to find mine in the registry -and it is not there- even using a search/find in any form. I cannot even locate it in the command prompt directory of my desktop -or anywhere else except as an icon on the desktop. It does not even have a file extension, and the system cannot recognize it to delete it. I have tried doing so from the command prompt as well as from the regedit and the system just doesn't seem to "see" it, but it still shows an icon on the desktop anyway. It is a generic Explorer desktop icon and is named CANID0X3 from a manual of a Porter-Cable tool that I own. When I deleted the file this was left behind and was somehow placed on my desktop and it has been there ever since despite my best efforts. I even tried re-installing the manual and deleting it again, but the system doesn't see the file to correct it.

Any suggestions? Doing a re-install of Windows is a little drastic to cure this otherwise benign problem. It just bugs the heck out of me that I can't get rid of the dumb thing!

Any suggestions, insights, or considerations would be very much appreciated. Thx.

Monday, July 07, 2008 6:59 PM
  • Simplicity itself, and excellent advice. Much better than messing in the registry

Thanks!  It worked a treat.

Thursday, October 09, 2008 11:11 PM
  • Hello! My name is Dan and I have the same problem of a dead icon on the desktop. Can you please tell me what it was that was "simplicity itself" that worked for you? How did you remove it? I can see this errant icon listed under the command prompt in C:\...\desktop when I change the attrbutes, but it has NO FILE FORMAT APPEND. The file name is CANID0X3. with no file format (e.g.: .txt, .doc, etc.) so the system does not "see" it when I try to delete it. Could you please share with me what you did so I may see if what you did will work to remove this from my system and therefore from my desktop also? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Dan.

Friday, October 10, 2008 2:48 AM
  • Finally, I was able to get in to reply.  THANKS to Euan Clark, you were very helpful.  Your method of getting rid of the pesky icons worked!  I had downloaded a free programme and then decided that I didn't like it.  When I deleted the programme, 2 desktop icons remained.  I COULD NOT delete them.  I read all kinds of solutions that looked risky and were complicated.  Your solution was the simplest and it worked immediately...........Just right click on the desktop and click on refresh.  THANKS AGAIN EUAN!
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 8:32 PM
  • thank you goksen. very helpful. saved me a nervous breakdown. i would add that one should search the whole registry after this for the offending icon's name. i did so and found a class id (CLSID) belonging to that icon and deleted it as well.
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 1:57 AM
  • That was a great answer. I was not aware that there was a refresh for the desktop. Your answer worked great for me. thanks, JC
    Monday, March 29, 2010 5:09 AM
  • Ah ha! You are a genius. That solved my problem with desktop icons. Thank you!
    Saturday, May 08, 2010 7:47 PM
  • sometimes the easiest is the best  "CLICK REFRESH"  thanks EUAN !
    Monday, May 10, 2010 3:16 AM
  • that worked,thank you =]
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 5:45 AM
  • Open task manager & click on Processes.  Highlight explorer.exe & in lower right of same page click end process.

Now your screen is blank but in Task manager go to Applications tab & in lower right hand corner click New Task.

Enter:     explorer.exe & click ok, this usually refreshes your desktop & will delete any changes made to programs since last restart/

Saturday, February 09, 2013 7:16 PM
  • This worked immediately for me!  Thanks for the tip.
    Monday, December 16, 2013 5:50 AM
  • I had the same problem in Windows 7 and I was able to delete the icon by going to DeskTop in Windows Explorer.  I Right clicked on the file and selected Delete.
    Saturday, January 18, 2014 11:27 PM