none
CREATE RESTORE POINT Catastrophic Failure 0x8000FFFF

Question

•  

I have Vista Home Premium and I just started getting the following error when I try to create a restore point: "The restore point could not be created for the following reason: Catastrophic Failure 0x8000FFFF."

How do I fix this?

Thanks . . . John

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:42 AM

Answers

• Ronnie,

I tried the services you listed with no luck. Then I turned to my registry.

I had run a registry cleaner two days ago. I have just now restored the registry to its state before the cleaning, that seems to have cleared up the problem. I have successfully created a restore point.

Sorry, but I do not know what registry entry was causing the problem.

Thanks for the help . . . John

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 11:43 PM

All replies

• John

Open Control Panel, click on Classic View in the Tasks menu. Double Click Administrative Tools and then Double Click Services.

In Services, scroll down to "Volume Shadow Copy" and double click it. In the 'Startup Type' menu, select Automatic and then click the Start Button. Click OK and exit Services.

Try to create a restore point again.

Let us know the result.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:26 AM
  •  

Ronnie,

I had already tried "Volume Shadow Copy" and it did not help. I do think that this is the problem however, and I and have a list of the event errors below from an attempt this morning to create a restore point.

Thanks . . . John

Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category
    Error 7/16/2008 9:00:34 AM VSS 8193 None Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance.  hr = 0x80040206.

Operation:
       Abort Backup

Context:
       Execution Context: Requestor
       Current State: SnapshotSetCreated
    Error 7/16/2008 9:00:34 AM VSS 19 None Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The EventSystem service is disabled or is attempting to start during Safe Mode.  The Volume Shadow Copy service cannot start while in safe mode. If not in safe mode, make sure that EventSystem service is enabled. CLSID:{faf53cc4-bd73-4e36-83f1-2b23f46e513e} Name:VSSEvent [0x80040206]

Operation:
       Abort Backup

Context:
       Current State: SnapshotSetCreated
    Error 7/16/2008 9:00:34 AM Microsoft-Windows-EventSystem 4610 Event System The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing.  HRESULT was 80040154 from line 45 of d:\vistartm\com\complus\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp.  This may indicate that the COM+ Event System is not properly installed.  Please try reinstalling the COM+ Event System.
    Error 7/16/2008 9:00:34 AM VSS 8193 None Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance.  hr = 0x80040154.

Operation:
       Gathering Writer Data
       Executing Asynchronous Operation

Context:
       Current State: GatherWriterMetadata
    Error 7/16/2008 9:00:34 AM VSS 34 None Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The VSS event class is not registered.  This will prevent any VSS writers from receiving events.  This may be caused due to a setup failure or as a result of an  application's installer or uninstaller.

Operation:
       Gathering Writer Data
       Executing Asynchronous Operation

Context:
       Current State: GatherWriterMetadata
    Error 7/16/2008 9:00:34 AM Microsoft-Windows-EventSystem 4610 Event System The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing.  HRESULT was 80040154 from line 45 of d:\vistartm\com\complus\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp.  This may indicate that the COM+ Event System is not properly installed.  Please try reinstalling the COM+ Event System.
    Error 7/16/2008 8:59:56 AM VSS 8193 None Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance.  hr = 0x80040206.

Operation:
       Subscribing Writer

Context:
       Writer Class Id: {4dc3bdd4-ab48-4d07-adb0-3bee2926fd7f}
       Writer Name: Shadow Copy Optimization Writer
       Writer Instance ID: {d85e03dd-67d8-474d-a5ac-fe35443a0c28}
    Error 7/16/2008 8:59:56 AM VSS 19 None Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The EventSystem service is disabled or is attempting to start during Safe Mode.  The Volume Shadow Copy service cannot start while in safe mode. If not in safe mode, make sure that EventSystem service is enabled. CLSID:{4e14fba2-2e22-11d1-9964-00c04fbbb345} Name:CEventSystem [0x80040206]

Operation:
       Subscribing Writer

Context:
       Writer Class Id: {4dc3bdd4-ab48-4d07-adb0-3bee2926fd7f}
       Writer Name: Shadow Copy Optimization Writer
       Writer Instance ID: {d85e03dd-67d8-474d-a5ac-fe35443a0c28}
    Error 7/16/2008 8:59:56 AM Microsoft-Windows-EventSystem 4610 Event System The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing.  HRESULT was 80040154 from line 45 of d:\vistartm\com\complus\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp.  This may indicate that the COM+ Event System is not properly installed.  Please try reinstalling the COM+ Event System.
    Error 7/16/2008 8:59:56 AM VSS 8193 None Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance.  hr = 0x80040206.

Operation:
       Subscribing Writer

Context:
       Writer Class Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
       Writer Name: ASR Writer
       Writer Instance ID: {f31f633d-7edb-4f36-9c2c-cfc2c33b73d1}
    Error 7/16/2008 8:59:56 AM VSS 19 None Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The EventSystem service is disabled or is attempting to start during Safe Mode.  The Volume Shadow Copy service cannot start while in safe mode. If not in safe mode, make sure that EventSystem service is enabled. CLSID:{4e14fba2-2e22-11d1-9964-00c04fbbb345} Name:CEventSystem [0x80040206]

Operation:
       Subscribing Writer

Context:
       Writer Class Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
       Writer Name: ASR Writer
       Writer Instance ID: {f31f633d-7edb-4f36-9c2c-cfc2c33b73d1}
    Error 7/16/2008 8:59:56 AM Microsoft-Windows-EventSystem 4610 Event System The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing.  HRESULT was 80040154 from line 45 of d:\vistartm\com\complus\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp.  This may indicate that the COM+ Event System is not properly installed.  Please try reinstalling the COM+ Event System.
    Error 7/16/2008 8:59:56 AM VSS 12346 None Volume Shadow Copy Error: An error 0x8000ffff was encountered while trying to initialize the Registry Writer.  This may cause future shadow-copy creations to fail.

Operation:
       Subscribing Writer

Context:
       Writer Class Id: {542da469-d3e1-473c-9f4f-7847f01fc64f}
       Writer Name: COM+ REGDB Writer
       Writer Instance ID: {2deee73b-88af-40aa-8820-ccf951ce8d47}

Operation:
       Subscribing Writer

Context:
       Writer Class Id: {542da469-d3e1-473c-9f4f-7847f01fc64f}
       Writer Name: COM+ REGDB Writer
       Writer Instance ID: {2deee73b-88af-40aa-8820-ccf951ce8d47}
    Error 7/16/2008 8:59:56 AM VSS 12342 None Volume Shadow Copy Error: An error 0x8000ffff was encountered while trying to initialize the Registry Writer.  This may cause future shadow-copy creations to fail.

Operation:
       Subscribing Writer

Context:
       Writer Class Id: {afbab4a2-367d-4d15-a586-71dbb18f8485}
       Writer Name: Registry Writer
       Writer Instance ID: {52859a7f-d2f3-4a73-9c5c-6f0269857eaa}

Operation:
       Subscribing Writer

Context:
       Writer Class Id: {afbab4a2-367d-4d15-a586-71dbb18f8485}
       Writer Name: Registry Writer
       Writer Instance ID: {52859a7f-d2f3-4a73-9c5c-6f0269857eaa}

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:17 PM
  • John

Here are some items to check.

First, check the following services just to make sure they are configured to run automatically and are started.

COM+ System Application

COM+ Event System

System Event Notification Service

Windows Event Log

Windows Event Collector

If any of these were not started, try to create a restore point again.

Next we need to rule out the possibility that the problem was caused by another application. Go to the following article and follow all of the steps there.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If you find anything there, after it is disabled, try to create a restore point.

Next, check the following registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ SystemRestore

In the right-pane if there is a value named   DisableConfig  Right click that value and select Delete.

If none of these items produce results, it may be that a current restore point in the System Volume Folder is corrupt.

To fix this, you need to go into System Protection and turn System Restore off on all drives. After this is done, log off and then back on.

*Note: This will delete all of the existing restore points.

Try to create another Restore Point.

Let us know the results.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 7:06 PM
  • Ronnie,

I tried the services you listed with no luck. Then I turned to my registry.

I had run a registry cleaner two days ago. I have just now restored the registry to its state before the cleaning, that seems to have cleared up the problem. I have successfully created a restore point.

Sorry, but I do not know what registry entry was causing the problem.

Thanks for the help . . . John

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 11:43 PM
  • John

That's great!

I'm glad you got the problem sorted.

Thank goodness for programs that create backups.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 11:59 PM
  • Hi,

I too am experiencing the same problem and have tried everything you suggested. I have also used a registry cleaner with a full set of backups dating all the way to January 2008 but if possible, i'd obviously like to try and find the root of the problem before i roll back that far and undo all the changes made so far!

Can MS shed anymore light on this problem? Their KB offers nothing that i consider useful.

Smile
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:22 AM
  • I am working with MS re: this issue and have provided them with various test scripts they wanted and will hope they find something soon.  It does seem like something corrupted in the registry and I am betting it was possibly caused ior at least related to some 3rd party manipulation of the VSS service somehow, but I would think that there should be some way to repair this other than a clean install.
    Friday, August 01, 2008 5:56 PM
  •  jazzyb88 wrote:
    Hi,

I too am experiencing the same problem and have tried everything you suggested. I have also used a registry cleaner with a full set of backups dating all the way to January 2008 but if possible, i'd obviously like to try and find the root of the problem before i roll back that far and undo all the changes made so far!

Can MS shed anymore light on this problem? Their KB offers nothing that i consider useful.

Jazzy

If system restore is set to the defaults, it is creating restore points on a daily basis.

I would just start with the most recent backups that the registry cleaner created and check to see if the problem is still there after each backup is restored.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Friday, August 01, 2008 10:28 PM
  • I had the same problem - tried to troubleshoot through Dell -  after making me perform a series of tests to prove my hard drive was ok - their answer was to reinstall Vista.  I was able to back up data the old fashioned way.  Then found this forum - tried the solution and it worked!  Back up working properly now.

Thank you for saving me the pains of having to rebuild my system!

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 2:40 AM
  • PGBCT

Glad you were able to solve the problem.

Enjoy!

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Tuesday, August 05, 2008 3:09 PM
  • Hello,

I just wanted to post this in case it might be able to help somebody else later on down the road.  I was getting these same error messages and tried all of the steps in this very helpful article but unfortunately my problem was slightly different and this did not fix the problem for me.

A while ago, I had a problem with autochk.exe becoming corrupted.  When I scheduled a chkdsk to run on restart, nothing would happen.  After about a week of searching on Google and the Technet forums, I was able to piece together enough information to solve my particular problem.  What I gathered is that some people thought that when you have a laptop (like I do) and you close the lid to put it to sleep often, rather than shutting down (which I do) then sometimes system files can get corrupted.  I don't know why this is, but it seemed to have happened to me.  After running "sfc /verifyonly" from the command line, and after looking in the CBS.log (it said something like [SR] Cannot repair file...), I found that autochk.exe was in fact corrupted.  I found a fresh copy of autochk.exe from another Vista Ultimate computer that I have and I replaced the old corrupted autochk.exe in the System32 directory with the new one.  This worked like a charm. 

I thought that I'd try this same procedure to see if it would solve my problem with VSS.  I ran "sfc /verifyonly" and noticed that autochk.exe (again!), eventcls.dll and WUDFSvc.dll were corrupted.  Eventcls.dll is what was causing my Event ID: 34 errors with the VSS event class not being registered.  This was probably also what was causing me to not have any writers listed when I ran "VSSAdmin list writers" from the command line.  To further confirm, I opened up the System32 directory and right clicked on each file and selected "Properties."  From there, I selected the "Details" tab and saw that each one was missing most of the information.  What I did next was recommended on a Vista Users forum but should not be attempted lightly and not unless you have full system backups just in case something goes wrong.

First of all, you will need to be in the Administrators group on the computer on which you attempt this fix.  Part of the process is resetting the security permissions on the corrupted files so that they can be replaced.  To do this, find each of the files in the System32 directory, right click them and select "Properties."  On the "Security" tab, click the "Advanced" button and then click on the "Owner" button.  The owner will probably be TrustedInstaller.  You will need to make the Administrators group the owner of each of the files.  Once that is done, click OK to close out of all of the file dialogs. 

Once again, for each file, right click them and select "Properties."  On the "Security" tab, click the "Edit" button this time and give the Administrators group Full Access.  Close all of the dialog boxes by clicking OK.

Here is the scary part (as if reassigning permissions on system files weren't scary enough!).  Make sure that you have the good replacement versions of each file ready (in my case they were autochk.exe, eventcls.dll and WUDFSvc.dll, but in your case, based on what you gather from your sleuthing, they might be different).  Delete the corrupt files from the System32 directory, but make sure that you let them go to the Recycle Bin, just in case.  If you have reassigned the permissions correctly, you will be able to delete the files.  Copy in the new replacement files.  For each one, right-click on the file and select "Properties."  Click on the "Details" tab and make sure that all of the information is there.  If it is, they're probably not corrupted anymore. 

Now, restart your computer.  If you've done everything correctly, it should boot right up and you'll once again be able to use VSS and System Restore.  I should mention that one time when I tried this process (my autochk.exe keeps getting corrupted) I got a BSOD on boot, but after Vista's Startup Repair ran, the computer booted normally.  I hope this is able to help somebody that is wracking their brain trying to get their System Restore/VSS to work.  Take care.

Regards,

John

Sunday, October 05, 2008 11:49 PM
  • Ronnie;

First time posting in this forum, I believe.  I just want to say I will be bookmarking this site.  This, I believe, is a place of help, so I am sure  I can mention that my other phenomenal place of help (I am a novice) is at greyknight17.com.  He is phenomenal

Anyway, on to the problem, I had the same error code  0x8000FFFF as the OP.

I could not get it to go away.

This HP Win 7 Quad Core puter is new, and  I had not been able to use System Restore so I did a reinstall of the factory image per HP's recommendatiion after trouble shooting.   It it did not work, until I did some reading and believe it or not, found one thing that said turn it off then on, it also alotted me O memory, so I raised it, then once I turned system restore back on, it worked. ....so just to let readers know

AS for this example, I had 2 or 3 of those services not running...  I don't recall which ones, but I started them and it worked fine.   was able to create a restore point, and restore.

BUTTTTTT this morning, I went and tried it since I had been doing so much with the troubleshooting and restore, I actually got an error with some HP trouble shooter program??...so the restore locked up...but when I hit ctr/alt/del, it restarted and when Win7 came up, it said RESTORE WAS SUCCESSFUL   Schwewwwww.   What a sigh of relief

So, to summarize

1.  What would be the cause of the registry items needing to be run to be turned off.  Why are they necessary

2.  Could something so simple as turning off then on system restore REALLY have fixed the problem??

3.  I loved my Dell, but my new, 2 month old HP, I love too, Win7 too, but are these few probs simply because it is a new computer and it has been 7 years since my last new one and I simply don't remember but I prolly had some then, or is it ABNORMAL, or is it Win 7 working out its kinks.

Thanks again for any attention to reading and answering
    Eric
    eric0668
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 7:25 AM