none
Windows XP mode in Windows 7 - is it a 32-bit or a 64-bit?

Question

• I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit in my desktop which had a virtualization capable CPU. I would like to install Windows XP as a virtual PC so that the virtual XP runs just like an typical 32-bit XP installation on a new comp.

Will Windows XP mode run as a 32-bit XP or a 64-bit XP on my comp; as the Windows 7 is a 64-bit on my comp?

If it will be a 64-bit, then would I have to install Windows 7 as 32-bit OS to get Windows XP as 32-bit virtual PC?

I need Windows XP as a virtual PC because I love Windows 7 but there are around 6 critical programs of mine which runs only on XP. I am familiar that once the Programs are installed in the Windows XP mode - it can be accessed and run in Windows 7 itself from the start menu under the Windows virtual PC.

Please correct me if I am wrong in any of the above information / query.

P.S - I tried to set the 6 programs to run in XP compatibility mode from PROPERTIES-COMPATIBILITY - RUN FOR AL USERS and RUN THIS PROGRAM AS AN ADMIN ; but it still does not work. Works only if installed on a XP comp. I think you guys have to look into the compatibility mode option in Windows 7 more deeply as one of my favourite classic game runs only on XP and still does not run in Win7. :(

Thanks and Regards,

F1.

Friday, July 23, 2010 2:53 AM

Answers

•   Windows VPC does not run 64-bit guests, so the XPMode vm is (and must be) 32-bit XP.

Bill
    Friday, July 23, 2010 4:22 AM
  • F.1. you stated

"I am familiar that once the Programs are installed in the Windows XP mode - it can be accessed and run in Windows 7 itself from the start menu under the Windows virtual PC."

No it is not really like what you are thinking, the program do not run umder windows 7, the VM must start up and you would have to PUT the programs on the program list and VM are not very good for gaming, the VM's are most for buisness class program and not for gaming / video / audio

Friday, July 23, 2010 3:56 PM

All replies

•   Windows VPC does not run 64-bit guests, so the XPMode vm is (and must be) 32-bit XP.

Bill
    Friday, July 23, 2010 4:22 AM
  • F.1. you stated

"I am familiar that once the Programs are installed in the Windows XP mode - it can be accessed and run in Windows 7 itself from the start menu under the Windows virtual PC."

No it is not really like what you are thinking, the program do not run umder windows 7, the VM must start up and you would have to PUT the programs on the program list and VM are not very good for gaming, the VM's are most for buisness class program and not for gaming / video / audio

Friday, July 23, 2010 3:56 PM