none
Windows 7 (64 bit) and Virtual PC (64 bit)

Question

• I have installed 64 bit Windows 7. I went to the MSDN subscription downloads and grabbed a copy of Virtual PC 2007 (64 bit) and installed it. Then I tried to install Windows 2008 server (64 bit) in a virtual environment. It said that this OS needs a 64 bit environment to install on. WHAT???

I took another look at the version of virtual PC and it installed in the x86 program files folder. What gives? I am positive I downloaded the 64 bit version. There are two different copies of the 64 bit version on MSDN subscription downloads. one is multi language. I have tried both and both want to install in the x86 program files folder.

The install screen says nothing about 64 bit. Could this have been mislabeled?
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 2:14 AM

Answers

• No, VPC does not support 64bit VMs.  The 64bit version of VPC provides 64bit drivers for the host OS, not a 64bit virtual environment.

The only virtualization product by Microsoft that supports 64bit VMs is Hyper-V.
    • Proposed as answer by Pat Mok Sunday, November 08, 2009 12:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bendage Sunday, November 08, 2009 5:43 PM
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 2:59 AM

All replies

• No, VPC does not support 64bit VMs.  The 64bit version of VPC provides 64bit drivers for the host OS, not a 64bit virtual environment.

The only virtualization product by Microsoft that supports 64bit VMs is Hyper-V.
    • Proposed as answer by Pat Mok Sunday, November 08, 2009 12:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bendage Sunday, November 08, 2009 5:43 PM
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 2:59 AM
  • I was checking out the same thing and stumbled across this article.  As an update, you can use VirtualBox 3.2.+ and run 64bit 7 or Server 2008.  Works pretty good.
    • Proposed as answer by Nimesh N Dubal Thursday, June 16, 2011 5:42 AM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:03 PM
  • VMware Player is FREE and it supports 64-bit guests.  I have found VMware the best overall by trial and error.  I have tried Virtualbox and Parrals, but I have the best expereince with VMware Player.
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:39 PM
  • I have installed 64 bit Windows 7. I went to the MSDN subscription downloads and grabbed a copy of Virtual PC 2007 (64 bit) and installed it. Then I tried to install Windows 2008 server (64 bit) in a virtual environment. It said that this OS needs a 64 bit environment to install on. WHAT???

I took another look at the version of virtual PC and it installed in the x86 program files folder. What gives? I am positive I downloaded the 64 bit version. There are two different copies of the 64 bit version on MSDN subscription downloads. one is multi language. I have tried both and both want to install in the x86 program files folder.

The install screen says nothing about 64 bit. Could this have been mislabeled?

Hi Bendage,
    I have encountered the same problem, when I use VPC to install Server 2008 R2(only 64 bit provied), I am told "my processor is not compatible.....". Then I use VMware, it is successful. It is odd that Microsoft's VPC does not support Microsoft' OS. :(

Thursday, December 30, 2010 3:23 AM
  • >I have encountered the same problem, when I use VPC to install Server 2008 R2(only 64 bit provied), I am told "my processor is not compatible.....". Then I use VMware, it is successful. It is odd that Microsoft's VPC does not support Microsoft' OS. :(

It's not that it doesn't support a Windows OS specifically, but that
    it doesn't emulate 64-bit hardware. (unfortunately)

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    • Proposed as answer by Kang Jian Friday, December 31, 2010 3:03 AM
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 1:53 PM
  • >I have encountered the same problem, when I use VPC to install Server 2008 R2(only 64 bit provied), I am told "my processor is not compatible.....". Then I use VMware, it is successful. It is odd that Microsoft's VPC does not support Microsoft' OS. :(

It's not that it doesn't support a Windows OS specifically, but that
    it doesn't emulate 64-bit hardware. (unfortunately)

yeah, you said it.
    • Proposed as answer by Darkside59 Wednesday, January 12, 2011 6:49 PM
    Friday, December 31, 2010 3:03 AM
  • Hey I thought Window 7 Professional and above support Virtual PC. I am using Window 7 Professional 64bit and use VPC. I use it to run XP, but only allow 32bit verison to be run and maximum memory is 1gb of Ram. You have to have a pretty fast computer with lots of rams just to run VPC. I have an AMD Phenom II x4 overclock to 3.7ghz with 4gb ram and running XP on VPC is kinda sluggish. I don't think you can run 64bit on microsoft version of VPC. Not sure about other product. But I guessing it could run 64bit os like someone mention above.
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 6:56 PM
  • No, it can't run a 64-bit OS in a VM, the 64-bit was just the host OS.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 7:40 PM
  • I have an AMD Phenom II x4 overclock to 3.7ghz with 4gb ram and running XP on VPC is kinda sluggish.
    I agree VPC run XP badly. Try VirtualBox or VMWare Player. Both are better and can run 64Bit guests.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 8:41 PM
  • Yes, Microsoft has lost sight of one of the main uses for Virtual PC, development and product demostrations. Other virtualization software is not as good or done as well as Virtual PC. Microsoft must bring back the ability to attach floppies in the GUI as well as provide support for 64 bit guests. If they do not do this, then people will have to no choice but to use other products, and then so will they make suggestions to not use Hyper-V. Looks like Microsoft is focusing too much on the Enterprise market, and ignoring everyone else.
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:20 AM
  • Microsoft: Bring in 64bit guest support for Virtual PC please.

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:37 PM
  • The most frustrating aspect is that the Microsoft press texts encourage the new student to download Virtual PC for all of the labs for their certifications.
    Wednesday, June 01, 2011 12:19 AM
  • The most frustrating aspect is that the Microsoft press texts encourage the new student to download Virtual PC for all of the labs for their certifications.

I have to agree with what I am reading here.  My current perception is that Microsoft is not perceiving us as customers and their voice, as professionals at our companies.
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:24 AM
  • Keep in mind that WVPC and XP Mode are business products, not consumer or technoloby enthusiast products. 

XP Mode/WVPC is intended by Microsoft to encourage enterprises to adopt Windows 7 by providing legacy software compatibility via virtualization using XP as a guest.  That goal is achieved with 32bit guests since the vast majority of legacy software is 32bit.  XP Mode is only available for Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate because the product is aimed at enterprise desktops, not consumers.  That we technophiles can take advantage of it is a plus for us but not in the business plan.  There is little need for 64bit support if running legacy business software is the goal since 64bit software already runs on Windows 7 without virtualization. 

The real question in my mind is what is going to happen to WVPC support when XP is finally retired in 2014.  Certainly support for XP Mode will not be maintained after that date.  If there is to be a Microsoft desktop virtualization product with 64bit guest support it probably will be a different product than just an updated WVPC. 

I too would like to see x64 support but I can also see that Microsoft's positioning of the product may not require it. 

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 2:13 AM
  • I disagree somewhat

Part of the use of the virtual environment (VPC and server) is creating test environments for planned implementations. It is also great for demonstrations. How many times have we seen Microsoft Evangelist Start up to virtual machines? One would be a server os and the other would be XP or whatever. Then using a virtual network you instantly have a client/server environment to demonstrate almost anything and test that much more. The problem for me is that all new versions of Server 2008 are 64 bit only. There by eliminating the ability to perform these actions.

While I can install 32 bit Windows 7, we have discovered some differences when developing applications. Understand most of these issues is to our developers not completely understanding how the developing software, compile process, and launch actually interact with the various 64 bit libraries.

Anyhow, I would find it very helpful for my team to be able to use 64 bit in the virtual environments.

Friday, July 29, 2011 1:40 AM
  • And you can have a 64bit virtual environment, Microsoft's current platform is Hyper-V.  That's what you've seen the MS evangelist using for demos.

Alternately, you can use 3rd party software, some free and some not...Virtual Box, VMWare Player, VM Ware Workstation, Parallel's Workstation, will all run x64 clients.

It's very unlikely you'll ever see a Virtual PC that runs x64 software.  More likely it will be a client version of Hyper-V for Windows 8 as hinted by various blogs.

Friday, July 29, 2011 2:00 AM
  • Instead of trying to get Virtual PC to support 64 bit guests, Microsoft should support Hyper-V on Windowns 7 Ultimate, Enterprise and Professional.

Desktop computer are now shipped with Virtualization compliant CPUs and chipsets. Microsoft should follow and enable us to have the right technology available.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 4:43 PM
  • EXACTLY!!!! I give a resounding "WTF?!!!!".
    Monday, August 15, 2011 2:36 AM
  • Since there are free virtualization products that run x64 guests I see no need for VPC to also do it.  Just use VMWare Player if you need support for x64 versions of Windows.  VPC doesn't have to be all things to all people.  It just needs to do its targeted tasks (running legacy business software) well.  When that doesn't do what I need I use something else since all free solutions work just as well or better.  I see no point in speculating about what Microsoft should do since Microsoft has never claimed that VPC is a solution for x64 guests. Anyway, when Microsoft support for x64 guests comes to Windows clients it won't be through VPC and it won't happen with W7. 

Monday, August 15, 2011 5:14 PM
  • Well,

I think granted Microsoft targets WVPC for Corporate lagacy use (for backward compatibility and migration purposes), they missed the use of the technology (a 64bit version) for staging purposes.  I would use the WVPC stage certain server, configure them, test them, and possibly I may decide to simply import the configured server up into Hyper-V.  This I would be able to do it anywhere on my Windows 7 64bit machine, and at my leisure.

Saturday, September 03, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Your suggestion is better made to Microsoft.  This is just a user to user forum.  Suggestions are properly triaged at the following site:

http://microsoftcorp.suggestionbox.com/

• Edited by Cbarnhorst Saturday, September 03, 2011 8:01 PM
    Saturday, September 03, 2011 8:00 PM
  • I guess I'm a little confusted. I downloaded Windows Virtual PC 64 Bit since I have Window 7 Professional 64 bit.

Did I download the correct version fo Windows Virtual PC?

They list:

Windows Developer Preview English, 64-bit (x64)

DOWNLOAD (3.6 GB)

Sha 1 hash – 79DBF235FD49F5C1C8F8C04E24BDE6E1D04DA1E9

Includes a disk image file (.iso) to install the Windows Developer Preview and Metro style apps on a 64-bit PC.

Windows Developer Preview English, 32-bit (x86)

DOWNLOAD (2.8 GB)

Sha 1 hash - 4E0698BBABE01ED27582C9FC16AD21C4422913CC

Includes a disk image file (.iso) to install the Windows Developer Preview and Metro style apps on a 32-bit PC.

Which one should I be downloading to install using Windows Virtual PC on my 64 bit Windows 7 host?

Thanks,

Roger

Monday, September 26, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Yes.  You need the 64bit compatible version of Windows Virtual PC because you are using a 64bit operating system.  But that just means it is the correct version to run on a 64bit HOST.  Regardless of which version of WVPC is used, you can only use 32bit GUESTS.  The 64bit version of WVPC does NOT support 64bit guest virtual machines.  In order to use 64bit guests in Windows 7 you need to use a virtualization solution that supports 64bit guests, like VirtualBox or VMWare. 

Having said that, the WDP does not work in Windows Virtual PC anyway.  I have installed it in VirtualBox and in VMWare Workstation 8.  It does not work with Virtual PC, Virtual Server, Workstation 7.x, or VirtualBox previous to the latest version.  It does work with Hyper-V, but that requires Windows Server 2008.  Microsoft recently announced that Windows 8 will be Hyper-V compatible. 

• Edited by Cbarnhorst Monday, September 26, 2011 5:00 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 4:55 PM
  • Those aren't windows virtual PC, they are the new Windows 8 preview,
    totally different thing.

If that's what you're trying to run under Windows Virtual PC, Windows
    Virtual PC does not support running that and it really wont run,
    you'll need to use another virtualization product.

Monday, September 26, 2011 4:55 PM
  • Hi Bob & Cbarnhorst - Thanks for your quick answers. Oh! well. Looks like I won't be able to install as I had planned. Now I understand, I have the correct WPC version for my PC, 64 bit. However even if I downloaded the 32 bit version of Win 8 Dev Preview, based on what you are saying it still won't work.

Thanks for the info!

Roger

Monday, September 26, 2011 7:02 PM
  • Correct.  You can use VirtualBox (free) or VMWare 8 to run WDP (either architecture).  When released, VMWare Player 4 will also install and run either.
    • Edited by Cbarnhorst Monday, September 26, 2011 7:10 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 7:09 PM
  • Yes, Microsoft has lost sight of one of the main uses for Virtual PC, development and product demostrations. Other virtualization software is not as good or done as well as Virtual PC. Microsoft must bring back the ability to attach floppies in the GUI as well as provide support for 64 bit guests. If they do not do this, then people will have to no choice but to use other products, and then so will they make suggestions to not use Hyper-V. Looks like Microsoft is focusing too much on the Enterprise market, and ignoring everyone else.

James: totally agree with you.
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 3:17 AM
  • Hi Guys,

An update on client side virtualization. With the developer preview of windows 8 it ships with Hyper-V 3 core(hypervisor) so now you can virtualize x64 based OS's on a client install.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home/br229518

"Hyper-V requires a 64-bit system that has Second Level Address Translation (SLAT)," explains Hyper-V program manager Mathew John on the Microsoft Windows 8 blog. "SLAT is a feature present in the current generation of 64-bit processors by Intel & AMD. You'll also need a 64-bit version of Windows 8 and at least 4GB of RAM."

Basically, any CPU released in the past 2/3 years will be able to run Hyper-V 3, but go for 2nd Gen i7, just my recommendation.

Regards
    Pieter 
    Monday, October 31, 2011 10:58 AM
  • Just a small nit, but not quite every processor these days, the low
    powered mobiles are not all able to run Hyper-V.

Monday, October 31, 2011 1:04 PM
  • It's a bit off topic, but just thought I'd mention that at least you can still boot to .VHDs with a 64-bit OS installed.

I almost gave up on trying to set up Win7 x64 on a .VHD using Virtual PC until I realized I could do this.  It suits my purposes, but I know for the vast majority this isn't really a workaround to the issue.  Just thought I'd mention it in case it helps someone else.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:17 AM
  • That has to do with making backups and such.  It has nothing to do with running a vm.  If the vhd is mounted in a vm using WVPC that vm will be running a 32bit OS.
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:07 AM
  • That has to do with making backups and such.  It has nothing to do with running a vm.  If the vhd is mounted in a vm using WVPC that vm will be running a 32bit OS.

Perhaps you didn't understand my comment.  It has everything to do with running a VM, just not in VirtualPC.  Instead of using VPC in Windows, you boot straight to the .VHD file.

And no, it doesn't have to do with making backups, at least in my case.

Sunday, November 13, 2011 1:31 AM
  • >It has everything to do with running a VM, just not in VirtualPC. 
    >Instead of using VPC in Windows, you boot straight to the .VHD file.

Booting to a VHD is not running a VM, the OS sees the real PC
    hardware, unlike a virtual machine.

Sunday, November 13, 2011 1:53 AM
  • Bob's correct, booting directly from a VHD doesn't use any virtualization technology.
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 7:22 PM
  • >It has everything to do with running a VM, just not in VirtualPC. 
    >Instead of using VPC in Windows, you boot straight to the .VHD file.

Booting to a VHD is not running a VM, the OS sees the real PC
    hardware, unlike a virtual machine.

My bad.  I guess you're right, it's technically not a VM at that point.

Bob's correct, booting directly from a VHD doesn't use any virtualization technology.

Besides using a virtual hard disk ;)
    Monday, November 14, 2011 5:06 PM
  • A .vhd is just a data file.  The OS is running on the native hardware in the example you give.   

Monday, November 14, 2011 5:21 PM
  • "Besides using a virtual hard disk ;)"

yep.

Monday, November 14, 2011 6:08 PM
  • It's been a while, but the results are in!

If you want to guarantee just about any OS to run:

VirtualBox > VmWare Player > VirtualPC(N/A however)

If you want more control over your internal network however(running multiple os's with one server and a few clients for example)

VmWare > VirtualBox > VirtualPC(N/A again!)

It seems MS wants to regulate VirtualPC to just run a copy of WinXP(32Bit) and thats it.... Sad, really.....

Friday, May 11, 2012 5:08 AM
  • It seems MS wants to regulate VirtualPC to just run a copy of WinXP(32Bit) and thats it.... Sad, really.....

That's a silly statement.  You can create a new vm with VPC and install whatever OS you like.  Who told you it only runs XP Mode?  I am running vms with everything from XP to Windows 7.  In the past I have run WFW, DOS, Win 95, 98, many Linuxes, etc.

Friday, May 11, 2012 7:38 AM
  • Yap... Virtual PC suck... I spent some time to understand that.

MS will newer do something compleete.

Saturday, May 26, 2012 3:07 PM
  • They've already done "something complete."  Its called Hyper-V.  You just aren't using it.

Saturday, May 26, 2012 3:13 PM
  • I found the answer which is Microsoft will never support 64-bit guests on Virtual PC. What a shame, now I need to install VirtualBox or VMWARE.

Microsoft manager to programmer: You start coding. I'll go find out what they want ...

• Proposed as answer by esteban2800 Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:38 AM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:38 AM
  • This is correct.

There is no VPC support 64bit VMs.  The 64bit version of VPC only provides 64bit drivers for the host OS, and not a 64bit environment.

The only virtualization technology by Microsoft that supports 64bit VMs is Hyper-V.

you can install it separately on Win 7 or use Server 2008 which have this inbuilt feature.

Thanks Prem P Rana MCSA Messaging 2003 MCSE 2003 Server MCTS MCITP Exchange 2007, 2010 Gurgaon, India

Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:55 AM
  • This is correct.

There is no VPC support 64bit VMs.  The 64bit version of VPC only provides 64bit drivers for the host OS, and not a 64bit environment.

The only virtualization technology by Microsoft that supports 64bit VMs is Hyper-V.

you can install it separately on Win 7 or use Server 2008 which have this inbuilt feature.

Thanks Prem P Rana MCSA Messaging 2003 MCSE 2003 Server MCTS MCITP Exchange 2007, 2010 Gurgaon, India

Where do you find the Hyper-V installation package for Windows 7?

The last word was that Hyper-V will not install on Windows 7 because Windows 7 is missing some of the server components required for Hyper-V that are in Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, January 19, 2013 12:47 PM
  • Rick is correct.

There is no Hyper-V for Windows 7.  It is an OS feature.  It is only in Server 2008 and higher or Windows 8.

You can install the Hyper-V administration tools, but that only allows you to manage a W2K8 server running Hyper-V

A 3rd party solution is needed to run x64 bit VMs on Win7.

• Edited by Steve JainMVP Monday, January 21, 2013 9:31 PM admin tools
    Monday, January 21, 2013 9:30 PM
  • 64bit don't support 64bit vm's.

The reason why they have 64bit VPC is because it is for 64bit operating systems (not VM's)

Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:16 PM
  • Microsoft should also understand that developers sometimes use VMs to test software under different OSs.  You would think MS would like developers to be able to use VPC for their 64 OS VMs to complement testing what they develop in VS.
    Monday, August 05, 2013 1:33 PM
  • They do,  Windows 8 Pro has Hyper-V which runs 64bit OSes.

If you're still running an older host OS, Oracle VirtualBox is a full-featured FREE virtualization platform.

Monday, August 05, 2013 4:55 PM