none
repair windows with a (retail) OEM?

Question

• I bought my OEM disc when I built my machine. Now Im having major problems and I want to run a repair reinstall of windows. Can I do it with this disc? Are there different types of OEM discs? ON this page:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

in the pink warning section (4th bulletpoint) it says "retail OEM" what is that? Is is different than other OEMs?

• Edited by doug prince Sunday, August 26, 2012 6:03 AM
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 3:25 PM

Answers

•  

Download the SP1  Refresh for your language and edition from the links on these pages...

Heidoc -
    Microsoft DR Download links

The links are for downloads from the Digital River servers run for MS, so are about as safe as
    you can get :)

Once you have it downloaded, you then need to burn the DVD from it - use either the Windows Disk
    Image Burner, or (better still) your favourite burning application at the slowest speed possible.

Note that you do NOT 'drag and drop' the file to the disk, you must use the 'burn an image' option
    from your app - or you'll end up with a useless coaster :)

Once you have the disk burnt, check that it boots the (or any other) system OK - but do NOT start
    the repair from there - you must start the repair from within a normal Windows boot.

Follow the instructions in this tutorial - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

- and they should help you get through it (it's not as difficult as it looks!)

Always ask questions first if you're unsure - either here, or in sevenforums.

Good luck with it!

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

• Marked as answer by doug prince Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:41 PM
    Monday, August 27, 2012 11:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can refer to this thread What's the difference between Windows 7 retail and OEM?.

Since this is a OEM version, I suggest you contact the manufacturer for more help.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 27, 2012 9:17 AM
  •  

Download the SP1  Refresh for your language and edition from the links on these pages...

Heidoc -
    Microsoft DR Download links

The links are for downloads from the Digital River servers run for MS, so are about as safe as
    you can get :)

Once you have it downloaded, you then need to burn the DVD from it - use either the Windows Disk
    Image Burner, or (better still) your favourite burning application at the slowest speed possible.

Note that you do NOT 'drag and drop' the file to the disk, you must use the 'burn an image' option
    from your app - or you'll end up with a useless coaster :)

Once you have the disk burnt, check that it boots the (or any other) system OK - but do NOT start
    the repair from there - you must start the repair from within a normal Windows boot.

Follow the instructions in this tutorial - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

- and they should help you get through it (it's not as difficult as it looks!)

Always ask questions first if you're unsure - either here, or in sevenforums.

Good luck with it!

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

• Marked as answer by doug prince Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:41 PM
    Monday, August 27, 2012 11:13 AM
  • @:Vincent Wang

As I wrote above, I built it. Thanks but I've seen that link it doesn't address my question.

Thanks,

Doug

• Edited by doug prince Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:43 PM
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:35 PM
  • @ Noel

You sir are awesome! I'm on it!

Thanks a Million!

Doug

• Edited by doug prince Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:43 PM
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:38 PM
  • Glad it helped :)

Good luck!