none
How to Use Virtual PC on Windows 7 Home Premium

Question

• I have windows 7 home premium 64 bit and have downloaded Virtual PC i have created a virtual machine and it will not start i need to have a running system on it but i am not eligible for xp mode what do i do?
    Saturday, May 29, 2010 7:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• You're going to have to create a virtual machine and install an OS in it. If you don't have another legal copy of an OS, you'll have to buy one. (if it's Windows)

Or you can do an upgrade to Win7 Pro and then legally get XP Mode.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Saturday, May 29, 2010 9:19 PM
  • I have windows 7 home premium 64 bit and have downloaded Virtual PC i have created a virtual machine and it will not start i need to have a running system on it but i am not eligible for xp mode what do i do?

Try downloading and install VMware Player which is FREE.  For the XP mode in Windows 7 you need Win 7 Pro, Ultimate, or Enterprise.

VMware Player has an option to 'import' the XP Mode file plus is is much moree featured than Win 7 XP Mode.

Saturday, May 29, 2010 10:53 PM
  • >VMware Player has an option to 'import' the XP Mode file plus is is much moree featured than Win 7 XP Mode.
    He can't legally use XP Mode with that version of Windows, it's not licensed for it -- no matter the virtualization engine.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Saturday, May 29, 2010 11:18 PM
  • I am also running on win 7 home premium 64bit. I have a legal xp professional. How do I install under the virtual PC? Can install in 32bit?

I am actually trying to run an old program which needs to run on 32 bit DOS mode, apparently windows 7 home premium doesn't allow.

Please assist. Thank you.

Free & easy

Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:23 AM