none
Classic View option for Windows Explorer

General discussion

• I've seen support for the following type of option mentioned in other threads, and the idea is desirable to every computer savvy friend of mine, so I'm putting this as a discussion to provide an opportunity for forum members to voice support or otherwise.

Many of us far prefer a view of Windows Explorer which simply reflects the architecture of our PC, in other words the left pane shows Hard Drive/s and Top Level Folders, and on expanding those folders all files are visible with extensions shown and basic file details displayed in a list (name, size, type date).   No "My docs" folder, no "Favorites", no other clutter.

Now I know much of this can be mostly achieved with a few clicks and preference settings, but what would be far preferable would be an optional toolbar icon (icon display optional, could even be hidden by default to avoid confusing the laymen) which with one click could simply swap the current "bells and whistles" Explorer view over to a "technical" or "classic" view (or call it what you will).   And in reverse, one click then reverts to the bloated default view (because yes, sometimes it is easier to find that document or file that way).

Sunday, February 15, 2009 9:49 PM

All replies

• Yes.  There seem to be a lot of users who agree with us.

This could be put in Performance Options, in Advanced System Properties, which is harder to get to now.
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 9:56 PM
  • Hi Taspool

If your just looking for people to agree with you, then continue the conversation here.

However, you can also make sure that the Windows 7 Product team reads your feedback, where it may actually result in the change you want to see, by posting this same message to the following thread.

Have Comments about Windows 7 Beta?

All of the posts in that thread are collected, periodically, and sent directly to the Windows 7 Product Team.

Just click the Reply Button in the first post on that thread.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7 Beta

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Monday, February 16, 2009 1:32 AM
  • Hi Ronnie, thanks for that redirection.   I did find a reference to that thread shortly after my original post, and so have done as you suggested and posted similarly in that thread.

Still, perhaps doesn't hurt for those in agreement to also say so here, it might add some weight to the cause if TPTB are also looking here.

Cheers
    Greg
    Monday, February 16, 2009 1:59 AM
  • I agree, I love the classic way of doing things on my computer. I find this clutter to be a time sink for me in that I must find all of the settings to change with each new installation of windows. The learning curve is a rather steep one for each new incarnation of windows as well and could be greatly reduced by this feature.

Please development team, please include this in windows 7.
    Monday, February 16, 2009 10:36 PM
  • Know its way too late - however, i just started using Win7.
    It would have been great if they have provided an icon like '+' like the classic library.
    In Explorer-->CustomizeFolder-->Customize, there are lot of icons. If there was an icon like a '+' as in the Classic Explorer, things would look much better.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 8:38 AM
  • just use classic shell and be happy
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 5:17 AM
  • Get some of the "classic" Windows Explorer back by right clicking on the icon (try the one in the Start menu (Programs - Accessories - Windows Explorer) and add to the Target line options

explorer.exe /n,/e, e:\ 

to start in the E:\ location.   Or you can change the Start in: location.

This works in Win7, W2008 server, XP. 

You can get rid of the big waste of "details pane" by clicking Organize - Layout - Detail pane (on and off).

You can show and hide menu by pressing Alt.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:22 PM