none
Windows Media Player 12 "Other Media" File???

Question

• After performing a  "Clean Install" of Windows 7 Home Premium, I transferred my music files that were working just fine in Vista to this Windows 7 install.  When I started WMP 12 in Windows 7, most of my music files ended up in a folder named "other media".  These music files will all play just fine, but when I try to move them or associate them with their appropriate albums in my music I am unable.  I've tried dragging and dropping within WMP 12, and within Windows Exporer, but have not been able to move these files to their albums.  I've even tried uninstalling/reinstalling WMP 12 using the "Turn Windows Features On or Off" function in Control Panel to see if the music files would reassociate with proper albums..., no luck.  Any ideas?
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:40 PM

All replies

• What's the file type (MP3, WMA...) of the music files that are placed in Other Media?
    Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Friday, February 05, 2010 5:34 PM
  • I am having a similar problem... the file types that keep getting sent to "Other Media" are .flv and .mp4
    Monday, March 15, 2010 10:31 PM
  • This should generally indicate that the clips in question contain data/data streams that the player doesn't read/support.  Or alternatively that the MLS type classification entry isn't set, but it should indeed be set for MP4 and other natively supported types - which leads us back to "probably something in the clip that the player doesn't support".
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 8:28 PM
  • For FLV files to show up in Video, add the REG file in the following article to the registry: Including FLV files in Windows Media Player 12 Video Library
    If you are running the 64-bit version of Windows 7, you need to add the slightly modified REG file that I posted the comments of that article. When the REG file is added, remove the FLV files from the library and re-add them.

Regarding MP4, what's the source of these files? Are they video, or audio only? Could it be that they contain lossless streams?

Tim De Baets
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 4:23 PM
  • The mp4s are video.  Most are taken from a Flip HD camcorder, if that helps.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 6:20 PM
  • For FLV files to show up in Video, add the REG file in the following article to the registry: Including FLV files in Windows Media Player 12 Video Library
    If you are running the 64-bit version of Windows 7, you need to add the slightly modified REG file that I posted the comments of that article. When the REG file is added, remove the FLV files from the library and re-add them.
    OK, I did that, and now WMP just won't play FLV files at all.  It "sees" them, they just won't play.  "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file."

____.. I was better off before.. :%
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 6:55 PM
  • Hmm, that's weird. What's the exact text of the error message? If you click Web Help, what URL does it take you to?

Which codecs are installed for playing back FLV files? Generally, the combination of FLVSplitter and FFDShow should work fine.

Tim De Baets
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 9:17 PM
  • The site I get taken to if I click "Web Help":  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/C00D11B1

Click on "Error Details" and the exact text of the error message is: "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file."  It won't say anything more than that. 

The files USED to play fine, before I added the previously mentioned REG file.  They played fine, they were just in the "Other Media" file rather than the "Video" file.  Now they won't play at all.

Monday, March 22, 2010 6:42 PM
  • I am having a similar problem... the file types that keep getting sent to "Other Media" are .flv and .mp4

I too am having this problem,

My files are both *.MP4 and m2ts video files, and they all play and are recognized by other Microsoft applications as videos, but with windows player 12 they are being discriminated and treated as some other media..

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:05 AM
  • This should generally indicate that the clips in question contain data/data streams that the player doesn't read/support.  Or alternatively that the MLS type classification entry isn't set, but it should indeed be set for MP4 and other natively supported types - which leads us back to "probably something in the clip that the player doesn't support".

Then why does Windows Media Centre and Windows Live Photo Gallery recognize them by placing them in the appropriate VIDEO Library, and whats more play them? granted windows 12 player in my case plays my MP4 and m2ts files as well as Windows media centre and Photo Gallery, so why are they being discriminated only by Windows player 12?
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:10 AM
  • WMP has a check to ensure it can play all the streams in the file.  The others mentioned do not do this, TMK.
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 4:40 AM
  • I am also having this problem.  It's very annoying to have my collection of videos (which include wmv, avi, flv, mvk and others) split into "video" and "other media" in WMP's library.  The files all play absolutely fine.  My problem is simply how they are categorized in the library.  I don't understand why it is so hard to convince WMP that flv files belong in the video folder in my library.  I've tried the registry fix for 64-bit systems found here (http://dpotter.net/technical/2009/10/including-flv-files-in-windows-media-player-12-video-library/).  It did not work.  Please help!

Thanks

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:00 PM