none
Windows 8.1 slow screen refresh

Question

• What could be wrong with my Windows 8.1. Everything is noticeably laggy and slow when browsing web pages and using normal apps like file explorer. It feels like I'm using this computer via somekind of a remote connection.

I have Windows 8.1 x64 installed to Dell M4600 laptop (GPU Nvidia Quadro). I have all the latest available drivers and updates. 

If I remove and reinstall Nvidia drivers this problem goes away for a while but then it comes back. I have tried 3 different driver versions but it doesn't change anything.  

• Edited by DamonWH Monday, February 03, 2014 3:51 PM
    Monday, February 03, 2014 3:50 PM

Answers

• DamonWH,

A quick look at the Dell drivers page shows that there aren’t any Windows 8.1 drivers available yet for your laptop.  The latest versions available are for Windows 8.  If this is the video driver that you’re using, the issues with your screen refresh are probably due to the incompatible driver.

NVidia’s website shows that their Windows 8 drivers for the Quadro 1000 and up video cards also work with Windows 8.1.  Try downloading and installing the drivers directly from them.

Another resource worth mentioning is the Windows Compatibility Center.  You can enter your hardware or software into the search bar and find out if what you have is compatible with Windows 8.1.

Mike

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Monday, February 03, 2014 5:47 PM
  • Hi,

For this issue, I agree with Mike.

Based on my search, Dell has not tested Windows 8.1 on this system model.

Refer to the following link for more information for systems which are eligible for upgrade:

http://dell.to/1a6L2h1

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Since you have already upgraded to Windows 8.1 you may try installing the Windows 8 driver in the compatibility mode. Follow the instruction provided below for the same.

Download the windows 8 driver and double click on the file and extract it on the desktop in a folder.
    1.Look for setup file in the extracted folder. Right click ‘.exe’ file and click ‘Properties’.
    2.Click “install in compatibility mode’. Click on Application and select ‘Troubleshoot Compatibility’.
    3.Next, click on ‘Troubleshoot Program’. Click on Program worked in earlier versions of Windows.
    4.Click on ‘Windows 8’.Click on ‘Start the Program’. Do not hit ‘Next’ until the installation completes.
    5.Once the installation completes, click on ‘Next’.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Kelvin hsu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 12:30 PM

All replies

• DamonWH,

A quick look at the Dell drivers page shows that there aren’t any Windows 8.1 drivers available yet for your laptop.  The latest versions available are for Windows 8.  If this is the video driver that you’re using, the issues with your screen refresh are probably due to the incompatible driver.

NVidia’s website shows that their Windows 8 drivers for the Quadro 1000 and up video cards also work with Windows 8.1.  Try downloading and installing the drivers directly from them.

Another resource worth mentioning is the Windows Compatibility Center.  You can enter your hardware or software into the search bar and find out if what you have is compatible with Windows 8.1.

Mike

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Monday, February 03, 2014 5:47 PM
  • Yes I noticed too that Dell doesn't have Windows 8.1 drivers for this model. Only Windows 8 drivers. This laptop worked with Windows 8 just fine. All the problems started after installing Windows 8.1 (clean install). I have already downloaded latest graphics drivers for this directly from Nvidia. I have tried older graphic drivers too. 
    Monday, February 03, 2014 8:16 PM
  • Hi,

For this issue, I agree with Mike.

Based on my search, Dell has not tested Windows 8.1 on this system model.

Refer to the following link for more information for systems which are eligible for upgrade:

http://dell.to/1a6L2h1

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Since you have already upgraded to Windows 8.1 you may try installing the Windows 8 driver in the compatibility mode. Follow the instruction provided below for the same.

Download the windows 8 driver and double click on the file and extract it on the desktop in a folder.
    1.Look for setup file in the extracted folder. Right click ‘.exe’ file and click ‘Properties’.
    2.Click “install in compatibility mode’. Click on Application and select ‘Troubleshoot Compatibility’.
    3.Next, click on ‘Troubleshoot Program’. Click on Program worked in earlier versions of Windows.
    4.Click on ‘Windows 8’.Click on ‘Start the Program’. Do not hit ‘Next’ until the installation completes.
    5.Once the installation completes, click on ‘Next’.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Kelvin hsu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 12:30 PM