none
I'm having this strange thing where *some* of my desktop shortcuts go missing

Question

• I think i've narrowed this issue down to shortcuts created from games explorer

I'll create a few links on the desktop to games in games explorer
    Everything will be fine for a few days, reboots etc all fine.

Then, for no reason at all, I'll come back to my computer (sometimes it happens when I'm off watching the telly, sometimes on boot) those shortcuts will have dissapeared.

I can't seem to find any solution or reason for this on the web (all articles seem to be about all shortcuts going missing, and to click View -> show desktop icons). It's quite inexplicable! It's also fairly annoying!

Does anyone know anything about this??

(it's almost like the old desktop cleanup from xp running in silent, and deleting games shortcuts instead of inactive ones)
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 9:48 PM

All replies

• Hi

How are you creating these shortcuts?

Let us know.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 10:20 PM
  • By bringing the games explorer up, dragging the icons to my desktop and choosing create link on desktop
    Monday, July 20, 2009 7:02 PM
  • Hi, I have exactly the same problem. Few of my shortcuts are regularly disappearing from my desktop (two times / week).

Is there a desktop cleanup scheduled task hidden somewhere in Windows 7?

This is really starting to annoy me :(

Friday, September 18, 2009 11:55 AM
  • Finally someone else having the same problem as me!

Sorry to hear about this oluka!

I tried delving into the scheduled tasks - as it only seemed to happen at set intervals, rather than every boot - but I couldn't find anything :( there's all sorts of stuff going on in there!

I'd basically given up, and switched the Games part of the start menu to expand as a menu, as i got fed up of dragging the game back and creating shortcuts on the desktop
    Monday, September 21, 2009 2:50 PM
  • The Game Explorer window is a Windows Explorer window.  But like a Control Panel window, it is "different".  There might be something about shortcuts created this way that makes them temporary.

Try copying them from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Games.  You can also try right clicking the link in Start\All Programs\Games, draging it to the Desktop, and selecting copy.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 12:16 AM
  • Just because the control panel or games explorer is different shouldn't mean shortcuts are going to dissapear from the desktop. Aside from this workaround, what else could be done for people who like thier shorcuts to stay where they put them and don't like to fix things that should work in the first place?

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 12:33 AM
  • wow 3 comments in 2 days!

Thanks Brian for that - I've not tried copying from there (Trying now) - I only tried creating shortcuts to the executables (which does work but is not ideal)

Also, Games Explorer being a different sort of window, shouldn't really affect how shortcuts behave - You could always create shortcuts to control panel items in XP. Control Panel is basically just a list of .cpl items anyway.

It's just bizarre the way the icons dissapear. It really is like some sort of desktop cleanup wizard (though it only deletes these games shortcuts, rather than inactive items)

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:24 PM
  • You could also try write protecting them or removing permissions from other users.

Basic write protection would be selecting the Read-only checkbox on the General tab of the Properties for the shortcut.  This is the same as using attrib +R in a command prompt.

Advanced properties are set using the Advanced button of the Security tab of Properties.  There you can change owner and change or remove permissions for other users or yourself.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:34 PM
  • I had the same problem happen to me. I left my computer on over night and woke up to see that 6 shortcuts to only the games were missing from my desktop.  Very interesting I must say.  I don't believe anyone has found the cause to this annoying Win7 issue yet. 
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 4:54 PM
  • I have the same problem - except I can't even get a shortcut to appear on the desktop anymore. Drag and nothing.  Icon button for desktop is checked.   I have NO Icons - no trash etc..

Ah ha! found the answer - it's not in the appearance personalization, "Change Desktop icons" area --  which doesn't seem to work at all.

Just right click and under "view" near the bottom -it had "show desktop icons".

• Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Tuesday, November 24, 2009 8:43 PM
    Monday, November 23, 2009 10:54 PM