none
I deleted User/AppData/Local/Temp and now I lost my Admin privledges

Question

• I am the Administrator and the only user on my Laptop running Windows 7 and read that I could delete the files from the above directory without harm since it was a temp directory, but now I have lost my Administrative rights on my own machine.  It reflects that I am an Administrator and my account is password protected but I can not even copy and paste a file as W7 responds that I need to be an administrator to do so.  Please help as I need to re-establish Admin rights for my user in order to do some everyday functions.  Thanks!

EDIT - Doing a recovery from a previous point is not an option to solve this issue since apparently the recovery data was stored in the deleted directory as well...

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 12:43 AM

All replies

• Hi KJSamG

Probably the best way forward will be to create a new account for yourself complete with the required rights. This account will then give you the necessary "day to day" running for your machine and your work.

Once you are working as you wish, consider

option 1......copy the files from User/AppData/Local/Temp in your newly created account to your old account, then change users to logon to your old profile / account and see how it works. If everything now OK, then "Job Done" otherwise go to

option 2.....continue to use the newly created account and copy everything across from old account to new

Hope this helps

Rgds     Pat

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by 39Namaste Wednesday, November 24, 2010 2:59 PM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 2:59 PM
  • 39Namaste - First of all, thank you for your time and response...

This was another option that I was considering but... Since my only user on this machine was the lone Admin., the option for adding or removing User Accounts is NOT an option.  Once I click on that link, the system does not respond, I assume because even though it reflects that I am an Admin, it is missing the file it needs to authenticate?

Is there another way to create a New user account without using the normal channels within the Control Panel?  At the Start up screen?

Some additional information - When I purchased this Laptop, I bought a second of the same model for my Wife...  Do you think copying her info from that Directory might repair my issue?  We are currently creating a secondary  Admin user on her machine to avoid something similar happening to her as a back up account...

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:45 PM
  • Some additional information - When I purchased this Laptop, I bought a second of the same model for my Wife...  Do you think copying her info from that Directory might repair my issue?  We are currently creating a secondary  Admin user on her machine to avoid something similar happening to her as a back up account...

Update - I went ahead and tried to copy all of the files from my Wife's identical model Laptop from the User/AppData/Local/Temp directory, but none of them reinstated my Administrative rights on my system.

Any addtional idea's are most welcome as my next step is to contact the Laptop manufacturer on Monday to get a copy of Win7 to reinstall and start over...

Saturday, November 27, 2010 3:26 PM