none
Windows 7 Local Security Policy

Question

• I have Windows 7 Home Premium and want to modify my local security policy. I go into the Administrative Tools and the Local Security Policy link is nowhere to be found. Where am I able to edit my Local Security Policy in Windows 7 Home Premium?

After I posted this question, I found out that the Local Security Policy Editor is not included in the Home Premium Version. Is there a Pwer Suite that I can download to get into the Local Security Policy or something? Or do I have to upgrade to a higher version of Windows 7?
    Monday, November 02, 2009 3:36 AM

Answers

• Hi BrianHarper, you are correct, Group Policy is not included in Windows 7 Home Premium, same as Windows Vista Home Premium. I consider you may need to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional to get this function. Thank you.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 3:05 AM

All replies

• Hi BrianHarper, you are correct, Group Policy is not included in Windows 7 Home Premium, same as Windows Vista Home Premium. I consider you may need to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional to get this function. Thank you.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 3:05 AM
  • Why would Microsoft choose to eliminate this from Home Premium?  Apparently, some local policy settings need to be changed in order to allow Macintosh computers to print to Windows7 attached and shared printers. 
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 3:06 PM
  • So how do you go about upgrading from Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional?
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:59 PM
  • So how do you go about upgrading from Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional?

This is how;

Take All your windows microsoft disks and put in trash! LOL!

edit:

Actually I just found this that helped me able to connect. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623308

• Edited by CyberVortex Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:31 AM added info
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:04 AM
  • Hello Tyronescott55,

Give this a try:

On your PC, open Windows Anytime Upgrade by clicking the Start button, typing Windows Anytime Upgrade in the search box, and then clicking Windows Anytime Upgrade in the list of results.

http://www.microsoftstore.ca/shop/en-CA/Microsoft/Windows-Anytime-Upgrade-Windows-7-Home-Premium-to-Professional

Cost's about $130.00 or so to go from Home Premium to Professional and about $175.00 to go from Home Premium to Ultimate.

I upgraded my Windows 7 Home Premium to Ultimate online, and it took less than 10 minutes to complete this task.

Hope this helps you out.

williamdinbc

Thursday, July 22, 2010 7:17 AM
  • I am trying to install 2010 Visual Editor C++ Express and I get the UAC. So what you are saying then is I can not change that unless I upgrade beyond Home premium? OR is there a way to change that in Home preium. That is sick and bad buisness if Microsoft did that just to make you upgrade.
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:00 PM
  • You can change UAC settings from user accounts in Control Panel.
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 5:12 AM
  • Just a peve about the whole lack of Group Policy in Win 7 & Win Vista Home Premium. They should have it Windows XP did!
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:27 PM
  • M$ wants your $.

So you spend $$$ on your original Windows license and you need to spend another $$$ to be able to use it..;)

Sad but true.

Monday, March 07, 2011 2:14 AM
  • One of the users on my Windows 7 Home Premium has started to receive frequent requests to change the password.

I want to amend this but there is no secpol.msc. How did it start appearing in the first place?

Thanks

B

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 8:31 PM
  • To get the LM & NTLM Responses on home premium here is what you need to do.

1 . Open registry editor ( Start search - regedit)
    2 . Browse to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
    3.  Create a new DWORD value  with the following properties:  

NAME: LmCompatibilityLevel    
    VALUE: 1
    4. Restart your PC and try the connection again...

just thought i would add this

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:18 PM

THANKS!!!  This worked great.  Thanks for the time and post shaun d martin!!
    Friday, January 13, 2012 4:14 AM

Thanks a lot. This worked for me too while accessing Win xp's share folder on Vista Home Premium 32Bit.

Very Helpful Info... :)

--

PREM SONI

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:01 AM
  • hi, I'm a guy with a very confusing problem.

I recently got a virus on my home premium computer (windows 7) and I got rid of the virus but unfortunately it made changes (somehow) to my group policy. now whenever I try to launch any kind of antivirus software, the same error comes up every time. "this program is blocked by group policy. for more information, contact your system administrator.(which is me)"

so what I want to know is,

is there a even remotely possible back-door that I can load the group policy settings from?

Monday, December 17, 2012 2:31 AM
  • THIS WORKS - Add Local Group Policy Editor in Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

(This is apparently somewhere in the Windows 7 Forums, but I never found it there.) Anyway, here are the steps I followed:

1) Download, and unpack the installer: http://drudger.deviantart.com/art/Add-GPEDIT-msc-215792914

2) Copy the entire folder C:\Windows\SysWOW64\GroupPolicy to C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy
        Copy the entire folder C:\Windows\SysWOW64\GroupPolicyUsers to C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicyUsers

3) Run setup.exe.

4) Move the newly created file C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gpedit.exe to C:\Windows\System32\

5) You will now be able to run gpedit.exe

6) For convenience create a shortcut to C:\Windows\System32\gpedit.exe in 'Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools'

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:07 PM
  • it doesn't create that .exe for me it just creates that .dll and a .mui

(what is going on?)

also when i follow similar directions from the site i get the error mmc could not create the snap-in. any tips?

Friday, October 04, 2013 9:56 PM