none
incorrect function: 0x80070001 in back up

Question

•  

Has there been any resolution to the problem of the system not letting us back up completely.  I just spent 271/2 hours making backups for this home vista program and on disk 11 it's -- incorrect function: 0x80070001. When will it work?

Jaci

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:26 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Jaci,

Thank you for the post.

The issue can occur if an EISA partition marked as Active exists on your computer.

Let’s try the following steps to resolve this issue:

1. Click Start, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.

2. Check if an EISA partition exists. If so, right-click your Windows Vista system partition and click Mark Partition as Active.

3. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

4. Press a key when the message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …".

5. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

6. Click Repair your computer. 

7. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

8. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

9. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

10. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

11. Restart the computer and try the backup process again.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, November 29, 2007 5:28 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Jaci,

Thank you for the post.

The issue can occur if an EISA partition marked as Active exists on your computer.

Let’s try the following steps to resolve this issue:

1. Click Start, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.

2. Check if an EISA partition exists. If so, right-click your Windows Vista system partition and click Mark Partition as Active.

3. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

4. Press a key when the message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …".

5. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

6. Click Repair your computer. 

7. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

8. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

9. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

10. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

11. Restart the computer and try the backup process again.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, November 29, 2007 5:28 AM
  • Hi, I'm also getting the same error 0x80070001 when i'm trying to back up my files and i DO NOT have an EISA partition. what should i do?

Sarah
    Friday, January 18, 2008 5:11 PM
  •  sunshine2717 wrote:
    Hi, I'm also getting the same error 0x80070001 when i'm trying to back up my files and i DO NOT have an EISA partition. what should i do?

Sarah

I too am getting the same error (and wasting DVD-R disks, I know they are cheap, but...). I DO NOT have an EISA partition, either, so what should WE do? A swift response would be greatly appreciated.

W Mills
    Saturday, January 19, 2008 10:38 PM
  • I honesly have no idea what to do. i was hoping that someone might be able to reply and let ME know what to do. sorry i am no help.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 12:24 AM
  • Hi Tim,

there are two of us who don't have EISA partitions and are receiving the same error.

What is the solution to this problem?

Thank you for your quick response

W Mills
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 12:38 AM
  • For those of us without EISA, what do we do to resolve this error?
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 12:45 AM
  • sorry sunshine2717 - I meant to reply to Tim Quanthe moderator - hoping he'll give us more info - sure would like to be able to back up my PC!
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 1:01 AM
  •  

I have this problem.

I have a drive O(Healthy Eisa configuration). It has no provision to make active.

Recovery(ESmile is the only drive that I can make active.

Is this the correct drive to make active?  I get a warning that if I make the partition active that my computer may stop working.

I have O, E, C, D, X and y.

Friday, February 15, 2008 12:24 AM
  • That's at least 3 of us.

No EISA partitions and attempting to back up to an external USB drive.

I can copy anything to this drive manually but can't backup to it without eventually getting the incorrect function error.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 6:32 PM
  • I was also getting this error when I was trying to do a Complete PC Backup. 

This solution worked for me;

Anyone who is running a Trusted Platform Module needs to unload their Personal Secure Drive before attempting the Backup. 

If they do so, Windows will be able to search all other existing drives properly and follow through with the Backup.

Hope this helps.

Monday, March 17, 2008 4:40 PM
  • Hi All, Zeus Lewis is right. If you are running a Trusted Platform Module, unload it. Also, and very important, if you are running TrueCrypt [or other disk encryption] and an encrypted drive [encrypted file container mounted as a drive in Vista] is mounted, dismount it, then run the Vista Backup and you should be okay.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:02 PM
  • I have found that using the recovery disk backup function bypasses this issue.

Thursday, June 05, 2008 6:58 PM
  • Hi All, just a quick update: it seems Vista SP1 fixes this problem. If you can, please update to Vista SP1. It also fixes the error of restoring a back-up from a removable USB drive which was present at the time the original back-up was made, but does not get picked up at restoration time. Cool. Divine Logix

Friday, June 06, 2008 12:45 AM
  • I was able to complete the backup on my SP1 notebook, but I get the 0x80070001 error when I try to restore. The notebook had its motherboard changed, and I'm afraid TPM is rejecting the new hardware. I never touched TPM. Would it be enabled from the factory??? Is there anything I can do to get this restore working? Thanks.

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 6:21 PM
  • As with W Mills and a few frustrated others on this thread,

I have NO EISA partition on my hard drive,
        my Gateway notebook has two partitions on the main drive, Recovery and Local, both are formatted as NTFS. 

The recovery partition marked as healthy (primary partition),  and the Local partition marked as Healthy(system, boot, page file, active, crash dump, primary partition)  in disk managment

I just installed Vista Ultimate in order to use this complete backup program with my new western digital USB hard drive, the USB hard drive is fully capable with my computer, and ends up with partial Hard Drive images from the failed backup.

I am recieving this same error code:  Incorrect function, error 0x80070001.

The problem happens every time I try the complete PC backup at about 80% complete.

I have tried to repair my operating system with the installation cd in the manner described, but no problem is found by the startup repair program, because I am booting fine off my primary partition

I am not running Trusted Module Platform or any other drive encryption

When I tried other software (Paragon and Macrium) the same error stops the backup at about the same point.  The paragon software stated that the error source was the Hard Drive Manager.  Don't know if that could help

Any Ideas on what I should try as a remedy?

Thanks for any ideas

Boatmen
    Friday, January 02, 2009 6:37 PM
  •  

Hello,

I am security expert with a lot of experience and achievements and as far as my case concerns I know that there is no solution and dno chance of recovery in such situation though I want to try if someone may have better knowledge then what I understand. May be possible someone can help me out somewhere. The case is as follows:

I had encrypted my hard disk using truecrypt. My hard disk had two partitions. On c partition there was operating system. On d partition I used to keep backup of important files. As the whole disk was encrypted using truecrypt, so it's natural that both partitions are encrypted. The truecrypt partition on which the installation was done is c partition. The mistake that I did was that without dycrypting the whole disk, I formatted the 'c' partition to reinstall my operating system. I did not touch the 'd' partition at all. But as the boot files and system files for the truecrypt software were residing on 'c' partition, the 'd' partition became a raw partition , which means that now there is zero data. When I click on that partition it asks me to format.

So, this is the whole case. I tried many recovery softwares. But not even a single file could be recovered. Tell me if you have any solution to such encrypted drive recovery of data.

But anyway I am happy that today I learned that even a forensic science department professional can also cannot retrieve data from any encypted disk. This is practical accident that happened and which proves as far as my knowledge concerns. So, if there is any confidential data which you want to never never be recovered by any kind of software anytime, then use this method which happened accidentally in my case.

Thanking you,

Sincerely

Kalpesh Sharma

Sunday, February 22, 2009 6:34 PM
  • in if eisa is not shown where do i go from there alli have is primary partition

• Proposed as answer by hattie penegar Monday, January 18, 2010 5:47 PM
    Monday, January 18, 2010 5:47 PM
  • After MANY hours of trying to do create a back system image of my son's VAIO laptop running Windows 7 I finally got it to work.

Tried the suggestion below to make the C:\ drive the active drive.  That did not work for me.  It seems to have worked for others though.

After a lot of searching, I found that some video files can cause this.  I copied my son's video camera files to an external drive.  Then I deleted them from the VIDEO library on his laptop.  It has something to do with REPARSE POINTS in certain files on the hard drive.

I also ran the VAIO Care registry cleaner as I had read that the registry could cause a backup failure as well.

I'm not sure which one of these actually did the trick.  My guess is it was one of the video files.

Hope this helps. 

Saturday, January 22, 2011 4:03 AM
  • I experienced this issue recently. I finally fixed the 0x80070001 error by executing a checkdisk on the system partition C: of my laptop.
    Sunday, June 30, 2013 2:40 PM