none
Photoshop 6 & 7 does not install under Windows 7 Home Premium

Question

• I recently updated from Vista Home Premium SP2 to Windows 7 Home Premium.
    Now I need to re-install my Adobe Photoshop 6 to be able to upgrade to Photoshop 7.
    When I try to run the Adobe setup.exe as administrator, setup starts, the cpu load goes up but
    then the setup disappears without error message.
    I tried all the different compatibility modes (Win95, 98, 2000, xp, Vista) - no success.

Can anybody help please?

Helmut / Cologne, Germany
    Helmut Cologne/Germany
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Hzimmer3,

You have to wait for the information about the compatibility of the Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 and Adobe Photoshop Elements 7. You can upgrade to Adobe Photoshop 8 which is completely compatible with Windows 7. You can check the compatibility here. Check event viewer for the error message, for this click on start menu type Event Viewer and press Enter.

It would be better to check with Adobe for what operating systems that Photoshop Element 6 would be supported. However you can try installing Adobe Photoshop Element 6 in a fresh installed Windows 7.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Bineesh

• Proposed as answer by Bineesh N Friday, November 20, 2009 7:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, November 24, 2009 8:02 AM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Hzimmer3,

You have to wait for the information about the compatibility of the Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 and Adobe Photoshop Elements 7. You can upgrade to Adobe Photoshop 8 which is completely compatible with Windows 7. You can check the compatibility here. Check event viewer for the error message, for this click on start menu type Event Viewer and press Enter.

It would be better to check with Adobe for what operating systems that Photoshop Element 6 would be supported. However you can try installing Adobe Photoshop Element 6 in a fresh installed Windows 7.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Bineesh

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, November 24, 2009 8:02 AM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:41 PM
  • Hi Bineesh,

just to avoid confusion: I'm not talking about Adobe Photoshop "Elements", the product is Adope Photoshop 6 & 7, both
    predessors of Adobe Photoshop CS.

Both Photoshop 6 & 7 were running with Vista SP1, which was the pre-installed OS on my Laptop, and I had installed
    both Photoshop versions under Vista with no problem.

Before trying to install Win7 Home Premium, I ran a full data backup, then I tried Windows Easy Transfer to save my
    data on external disk.

When I tried to install Win7 using the upgrade option, this failed. So I did a complete fresh new installation of Windows 7
    and used Win Easy Transfer to import my data. This, however, did not work properly.

I therefor formatted the disk and did a complete new Win7 install, afterwards I did a data revovery to import my data.

Photoshop 6 runs under Win7, however PS7 does not, giving the message "No personalization data found- reinstrall".

I cannot reinstall, because the PS7 is an upgrade from PS6, and when I try to reinstall, it says that no product is found.

I therefor tried to reinstall PS6 as well, which does not work under Win7.

When I check the event log after failed installation, this is what it says:

Fehlerbucket , Typ 0
    Ereignisname: PCA2
    Antwort: Nicht verfügbar
    CAB-Datei-ID: 0

Problemsignatur:
    P1: Setup.exe
    P2: 5.50.137.0
    P3: 32-bit Setup Launcher
    P4: InstallShield®
    P5: InstallShield Software Corporation
    P6: 200
    P7: -1
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:

Angefügte Dateien:
    C:\Users\HZ\AppData\Local\Temp\{9b8d2eae-96ff-497e-a63d-7a6052a72c24}\appcompat.txt
    C:\Users\HZ\AppData\Local\Temp\TabB6CA.tmp

Diese Dateien befinden sich möglicherweise hier:
    C:\Users\HZ\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_Setup.exe_203a36bb9757e110637ae97a12daa0ab69470df_cab_0700c4fd

Analysesymbol:
    Es wird erneut nach einer Lösung gesucht: 0
    Berichts-ID: be5a264a-cfc3-11de-8d04-0800270018af
    Berichtstatus: 4

I'm disappointed because both programs were working under Vista and I use them a lot...

Cheers,

Helmut (Cologne / Germany)
    Helmut Cologne/Germany
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Hi Hzimmer3,

While uninstalling, it might not have removed all the registry entries. So try to do system clean up. For this you can refer the article here. Go through the warning in the article before proceed. If this doesn't work try to load Windows 7 once again.

Please also understand that third party software has its own way to program codes and call corresponding system resources when installing and running. Therefore, it is recommended contacting Adobe directly to confirm whether Windows 7 is fully supported by Photoshop 6 and Photoshop 7.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Bineesh

Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:00 PM
  • Have you tried contacting Adobe? Perhaps there is a way to install 7 without installing 6? Since you have a backup of the Vista install, could you copy just the Adobe Photoshop directory tree from backup to your Windows 7 install then try the APS 7 update?
    Rich
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:13 PM
  • Hi Rich,

Adobe do not offer any support for products older than Photoshop CS, they only offer patches for older Photoshop versions
    up to Windows XP.

Yes, I have copied the whole Photoshop 6 and 7 directory trees from my Vista backup under Win 7.
    Photoshop 6 is running perfectly from the backup directory tree, although it was not formally installed under Win7.
    Photoshop 7 also starts from the backuped directory tree, however then it stopps telling "missing personlization data -
    please reinstall". I cannot reinstall PS 7, since I have an upgrade, which requires PS6 being installed. When I try to
    install the PS7 upgrade, it stopps saying "missing product required for upgrade", since PC6 is not formally installed
    under Win7. So this is why I want to install PS6. I have deleted the entire PS6 directory (I have a backup) and tried
    to install PS6. Setup starts running, everything sems to be ok - then it disappears without a message.

I have tried all the compatibility modes as well as "Disable visual designs" and "Disable desktop changes" - it won't run.

Under Vista SP1, I could install PS6 with no problem, then install the PS7 upgrade. I cannot go back to Vista, since Vista
    was a pre-installed OEM OS on my laptop.

If I had known these problems before, I would never have make the change to Win7...

Cheers,

Helmut
    Cologne/Germany
    Helmut Cologne/Germany
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:28 PM
  • Hi Bineesh,

I have installed the "Windows Installer Cleanup" tool and run it.

It gives a list of applications to cleanup, but Photoshop 6 does not showup, since it was not formally
    installed under Win7, it was recovered from the Vista backup... It runs under Win7, but I need to formally
    install it to be able to install the Photoshop 7 upgrade...

Icannot install PS6, since the setup stops without error message, so we are turning in circles and are
    not making any progress.

I wish I had never changed to Win7...

Cheers,

Helmut
    Cologne/Germany

Helmut Cologne/Germany
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:33 PM
  • Hi Hzimmer3

I ran into exactly the same problem - upgraded to Win7 and wanted to install Photoshop CS3 but to do that I first had to install PS6 and PS7.  Like you, I found installing PS6 does not work on Win7.  One possible solution is to install a virtual machine running WinXP on top of Windows7 and then install PS6 in that virtual machine.  I don't know if this breaks any licensing agreements and nor do I know how well or not PS functions in a virtual machine environment.  However, this may be a way forward.
    - Roebi.
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 6:22 PM
  • I'm suspicious that there is a contributing factor other than Windows 7, preventing successfull install of Adobe PhotoShop 6.0 as I have it installed and operational on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit workstation.  It was one of the first packages I installed on the fresh OS install, and it was installed from an account that was a member of the Administrators group.

What has me stymied at this point is that I am unable to connect to either of my USB scanners from Photoshop 6, neither the HP scanjet 8200 nor HP PSC 2355 are seen, that is when Import is selected on Photoshop's File menu, all that shows is a gray "Annotations" item.  The HP PSC 2355 does scan via "Microsoft Fax and Scan".

-Bruce

Tuesday, December 08, 2009 11:34 PM
  • Success.  I now have Adobe Photoshop 6.0 running on my Windows 7 64-bit system, and able to use both of my HP scanners (8200 & 2355).  Photoshop installed in the "Program Files (x86)" directory on my 64 bit Windows 7.

I my situation, Photoshop 6 installed without incident, but could not see the USB scanners.  I reinstalled Photoshop 6 (without removing the first copy, and after ensuring that both scanners were being "seen" by Microsoft Fax and Scan software, all appears well.

In between "not working" and "working", I downloaded and installed Photoshop Elements 8 (no incident, installed and worked) and Photoshop and after that, its add on (no incident, installed and worked). 

By the way, that PCA2 error in the event name report by Helmut looks like it might might be key.  My internet search led me to believe it was related to USB, which led me to run the install again without the removal.

-Bruce
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 2:00 PM
  • Bruce, My daughter has been trying to get photoshop 6 installd on her nes laptop running win7 64bit. She can't get it to install. How did you get it to install and work?
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 12:44 PM
  • I suspect the key is the installation of the current Photoshop Elements 8 first, then Photoshop 6, one verified Photoshop 6 was functional, I removed Photoshop Elements 8.  The other piece that I found was that installing just some of Photoshop 6, did not work, while installing the entire program did work; I do not know what was needed, as installing without ImageReady always worked on previous Windows versions.

There is on nit left.  If a photo is no the desktop displaying its thumbnail image, and that photo is edited with Photoshop 6 on Windows 7 Ultimate, with the result saved to the desktop with a different name, the thumbnail will be the same as the original if the change is not major (cut the picture in half).  The photo is fine, the thumbnail is incorrect.

Photoshop 7 does not experience the thumbnail aberration.

Bruce
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:25 AM
  • it does the same on my windows 7 home, I worked out how it works, when the setup shuts down, and you think there is a problem....if you wait about 10-15 minutes the setup will complete.....I had the same problem and was reading this forum to find a fix and while i was waiting the setup just miraculously completed itself.

I now have photoshop 6.0 installed on my windows home 7.

Friday, April 30, 2010 11:39 PM
  • Say I too need suggestion: I have Photoshop 7, and I use Windows 7 Ultimate, I have try to install PH 7, but is not perform as well, not sure if has compatibility issue, any suggestions? 
    Friday, May 14, 2010 4:10 PM
  • I have a new HP desktop that came with W7 installed.  I installed PhotoShop Elements 6 on the desktop but it will not open.  I also have a Toshiba Laptop that I upgrade from Vista to W7, PS6 installed and works just fine.  I also found the same problems with Premiere Elements 4, it will not properly install on the desktop but installed on the laptop without any problem.

Both systems are 64 bit.

Now the question is why? 

Charlie

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:51 AM
  • If you go to Windows 7 Help and type in virtual machine, you will get information on how to install Microsoft's  Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode.  These will install a virtual computer running Windows XP on your machine. Then all older programs will install just fine. This worked for me with Photoshop 6.
    Monday, March 14, 2011 7:33 PM
  • Installed PS7 on Toshiba Laptop running Win7 Home Premium 32bit by temporarily changing the User Account Control Settings to "Never Notify" prior to setup. Sweeeeet!
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 12:25 PM
  • Photoshop 6.0 would not install on win 7, so I installed it on an external drive and it works perfect.

Friday, November 11, 2011 6:05 AM
  • Beejayshere, thank you for your help!  I was able to install Photoshop 6 on Windows 7; in my case it took 30 minutes to launch the setup.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:10 AM
  •  Hi,   Just an update to this post for future reference,  I installed Adobe Photoshop 6.0 on my  Windows 7 professional 64 bit laptop. I then installed the 6.0.1 patch as well. Everything ran fine with install.  Adobe did warn me that Windows 7 and the application are using the same "switch file" ?!?  and could cause slow performance. Besides that it looks good. I'll do more testing and see how the feature go but so far so good.
    Monday, November 19, 2012 4:24 PM
  • Here’s how you install Photoshop 6.0 on Win 7 x64:
    • Run msconfig
    • Select Diagnostic startup
    • Reboot computer
    • Locate Photoshop file setup.exe
      (it's in sub directory "Adobe Photoshop 6" on the CD)
    • Right click on setup.exe and choose Run as administrator
    • Now the installation program should start, it did for me at least.
    • Go through installation as usual.
    • Run msconfig again
    • Select Normal startup
    • Reboot computer
    • Success!
    Saturday, May 31, 2014 6:42 PM
  • Awesome. It installed, now to see if it runs.
    Sunday, July 06, 2014 10:49 PM